Boxers :-)

iiii

Hello,

I am going to make a huge plee to the organisers of this event, please, please bring some boxers.

I understand it would be asking alot to get some big names from US like: Jake LaMotta, Evander Holyfield, George Foreman, Joe Frazier, Marvin Hagler, Sugar Ray Leonard, Lennox Lewis and so on.

But just to get the chance to meet British Legends such as: Henry Cooper and Frank Bruno would be awesome. I would also love to meet Chris Eubank, Nigle Benn, David Haye, Ricky Hatton, Joe Calzaghe, Amir Khan, John Conteh, John H Stracey.

Please guys just Henry Cooper on his own would be great, you won't find a bigger British Boxing attraction :-)

I look forward to seeing your next announcements.

Best wishes.

iiii

I agree.

Eubank-Benn matches are legendary. I remember them so vividly. Two of our finest warriors. The battles were so compelling. Absolutely inspiring battles. I would certainly travel down to meet these two legends in person!

Henry is always welcome, one of our Greats and top bloke.

who is always friendly and welcoming. A true Warrior of the ring. I would absolutely love this gentleman to come to Glasgow!

bigcat - I don't realistically see why Hagler would never attend an event like this, he would 100% have a great fan following and he has started to do various dinner evenings in UK, he was actually over here a couple of weeks ago with Henry Cooper doing an evening..also for the event organisers, a link to Hagler's peronal website and a request form for him to make appearance:

http://www.marvelousmarvin.com/contact.php

Buster Douglas would be great too, not many people can claim to have beaten Tyson in his prime, besides Holyfield.

I'm sure Michael Moorer and Larry Holmes would be great from that era of fighters too.

Anyone else got any feedback in regards to the boxers??

Again, if there are no other please please bring Henry Cooper.

Best wishes

• 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to some more annoucements soon after the great start with Sugar Ray would love to meet Frank Bruno and Naseem Hamed. On a different note not been to this shopping centre before is it a big place and how many guests does it hold or is there a rough estimate for how many sports stars will be attending?

Looking forward to some more annoucements soon after the great start with Sugar Ray would love to meet Frank Bruno and Naseem Hamed. On a different note not been to this shopping centre before is it a big place and how many guests does it hold or is there a rough estimate for how many sports stars will be attending?
I recall someone mentioning that hopefully there will be around 20 guests per day. There is easily space for that. Collectormania used to be held in the same area of the shopping centre, with far more more guests than 20 :cylon:

Hi all, I'm kinda new to boxing memorabilia so wanted to ask if anyone had a good recommendation of boxing gloves specifically for autographs for Sugar Ray if anyone knows! Thanks!

Take a look at these;

-The best priced ones I've seen

http://www.jjbsports.com/everlast-sparring...p-product/13022

-Over priced but look authentic

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Everlast-Boxing-Gl...953&sr=1-11

-Nice looking but doubtful they would arrive in time from the US

http://www.everlast.com/Wristwrap-Training...uctinfo/EVWWTG/

The problem is it's hard to find gloves without branding on the back that look 'old school'.

P.S. Sorry mods if I have broken any rules by posting online stores.

Hi all, I'm kinda new to boxing memorabilia so wanted to ask if anyone had a good recommendation of boxing gloves specifically for autographs for Sugar Ray if anyone knows! Thanks!

Take a look at these;

-The best priced ones I've seen

http://www.jjbsports.com/everlast-sparring...p-product/13022

-Over priced but look authentic

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Everlast-Boxing-Gl...953&sr=1-11

-Nice looking but doubtful they would arrive in time from the US

http://www.everlast.com/Wristwrap-Training...uctinfo/EVWWTG/

The problem is it's hard to find gloves without branding on the back that look 'old school'.

P.S. Sorry mods if I have broken any rules by posting online stores.

Wow thanks bud all 3 look great especially the Amazon pair. Appreciate it.

I know its so hard to find a pair of old school gloves without branding on them, which gloves do you use for signings? have u met sugar ray before?

What fighters signed gloves do you have?

cheers bud

Wow thanks bud all 3 look great especially the Amazon pair. Appreciate it.

I know its so hard to find a pair of old school gloves without branding on them, which gloves do you use for signings? have u met sugar ray before?

cheers bud

I was lucky to get a couple of pairs of Everlast lace up training gloves from the US before they started branding them. Think I’m down to my last glove now. I’ve also used Lonsdale gloves for British fighters.

As for who I’ve met this might sound cocky but I’d have to have a good root around and see what I’ve got hidden away, but without doubt my favourite boxer is Joe Frazier. Every time I’ve been lucky enough to meet him he has left a lasting impression on me. A very generous gentleman.

Yeah, I’ve meet Sugar Ray before. Personally I found him a little aloof but that was probably because of the large amount of people waiting to meet him. He was happy enough to sign and pose for photos but I got the feeling he was very aware of the size of the queue and was in a little bit of a rush so everyone got to meet him.

cheers bud

Hey, how about that, didn’t have as much as I thought.

I’ve got gloves signed by Sugar Ray Leonard, Joe Calzaghe, Jake LaMotte (with a nice big line on the glove where he dropped the pen, Ahhhh!), John Conteh and the late, great Sir Henry Cooper. Also got a pair of trunks signed by Smokin’ Joe Frazier that look amazing.

There’s also a tonne of signed photos somewhere as well…really got to get my collection organized.

cheers bud

Hey, how about that, didn’t have as much as I thought.

I’ve got gloves signed by Sugar Ray Leonard, Joe Calzaghe, Jake LaMotte (with a nice big line on the glove where he dropped the pen, Ahhhh!), John Conteh and the late, great Sir Henry Cooper. Also got a pair of trunks signed by Smokin’ Joe Frazier that look amazing.

There’s also a tonne of signed photos somewhere as well…really got to get my collection organized.

Ive seen the plain red lace up everlast gloves in one boxing store bought 4 pairs!! but they don't sell em anymore! The everlast link you gave me has them but out of stock and $70 plus shipping!

http://www.everlast.com/Leather-Autograph-...ductinfo/EVLAG/

Oh damn dude that's a shame! We spend so much time / money gettin stuff signed properley and then something like that happens. Does it look really bad or is it just a small line?

Never met Joe Frazier before, I got a Pair of black and White everlast trunks that I want him to sign replica version of what he used to wear back in the day. I hear he's over in the uk quite often. Where did u meet him?

Yeah bud it's definatley worth sorting your stuff out or even just make a list of what you have so you don't forget and lose stuff.

The signed gloves I have are Lennox Lewis, David Haye, Joe Calzaghe an Amir Khan pair. I have all the signatures on the same model of gloves so really wana find these same ones for sugar ray!

Are u still gonna come to sportsmania even though u met sugar Ray? What boxers are you hoping are announced?

How about Leon Spinks? Ex World Heavyweight Champion who beat none other than Muhammed Ali and in his Amateur career became a 1974 Olympic Gold Medal winner. Also went on to become a Professional Wrestler after his Boxing career ended although pretty much only in Japan so probably not too much of a well known fact over here.

The guy has now fallen on hard times unfortunately and currently works in a McDonalds while also helping out at the YMCA in Nebraska. Would be great to get the guy over, not only to give him a bit of a helping hand but perhaps to show him all those years in the ring weren't in vain.

Another two would be the half brothers the movie The Fighter was based on, Dicky Eklund and Micky Ward. Thanks to the film both of these have gained more exposure and I'm sure they would be able to give a great talk too. Couple of thoughts for you there anyway.

Edited by WillCarter

How about Leon Spinks? Ex World Heavyweight Champion who beat none other than Muhammed Ali and in his Amateur career became a 1974 Olympic Gold Medal winner. Also went on to become a Professional Wrestler after his Boxing career ended although pretty much only in Japan so probably not too much of a well known fact over here.

The guy has now fallen on hard times unfortunately and currently works in a McDonalds while also helping out at the YMCA in Nebraska. Would be great to get the guy over, not only to give him a bit of a helping hand but perhaps to show him all those years in the ring weren't in vain.

Another two would be the half brothers the movie The Fighter was based on, Dicky Eklund and Micky Ward. Thanks to the film both of these have gained more exposure and I'm sure they would be able to give a great talk too. Couple of thoughts for you there anyway.

Eklund & Ward would be great not so sure about Leon Spinks to be honest, don't think he would be as big a hit as say a great British fighter like Ricky Hatton or Naseem Hamed

Ive seen the plain red lace up everlast gloves in one boxing store bought 4 pairs!! but they don't sell em anymore! The everlast link you gave me has them but out of stock and $70 plus shipping!

$70!!! I'm sure I didn't pay that much.

Oh damn dude that's a shame! We spend so much time / money gettin stuff signed properley and then something like that happens. Does it look really bad or is it just a small line?

The autograph is cross the back of the hand, the line is about 3 inches long across the 'knuckles'. When I get around to mounting it I should be able to hide most of it.

I was gutted when it happened but what can do.

Never met Joe Frazier before, I got a Pair of black and White everlast trunks that I want him to sign replica version of what he used to wear back in the day. I hear he's over in the uk quite often. Where did u meet him?

Got to meet him at another event that we're not allowed to mention on this forum.

The signed gloves I have are Lennox Lewis, David Haye, Joe Calzaghe an Amir Khan pair. I have all the signatures on the same model of gloves so really wana find these same ones for sugar ray!

Nice collection, Lennox Lewis is someone I'd pay big money to meet.

Are u still gonna come to sportsmania even though u met sugar Ray? What boxers are you hoping are announced?

Yeah I'll still be there. Sportsmania is the best place for sports geeks to get autographs, and it's important to support the event.

Got to meet Barry McGuigan yesterday on his book tour. He was a lot of fun and I think he would by a massive success if SM could get him.

Eklund & Ward would be great not so sure about Leon Spinks to be honest, don't think he would be as big a hit as say a great British fighter like Ricky Hatton or Naseem Hamed

You might be surprised, Leon Spinks was over here about two years ago. I didn't go to the event he was at, but from everything I read it sounded like he was popular.