Am I the only saddo who.....

YellowCrayon

It's a shame that they got Armin Shimerman to do the signing event instead of this

I made the same argument myself when Sean Maher was announced for EMS and LFCC. While I suspect that signing events are given priority over cons, it might well also be that they're not available for a trip to the UK at Hallowe'en.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's Halloween that's the problem, then surely they should hold the convention on a different weekend. I know that the convention title wouldn't make sense then but changing the title and using a different weekend when more guests could attend has got to be better than not being able to get guests.

If it's Halloween that's the problem, then surely they should hold the convention on a different weekend. I know that the convention title wouldn't make sense then but changing the title and using a different weekend when more guests could attend has got to be better than not being able to get guests.

I think this could also be the problem is the halloween weekend for the guests. For me personally I think in future I might hold off buying a ticket before the last month or so - not happy with the lack of updates each year

I haven't bought gold this year & delayed longer in buying partly due to funding so for me its viable if we get 5-6 guests. I admit i will be disappointed if we do only end up with 3-4 when another upcoming con has got far more announced.

This has been said before but ME really do need to make sure each con has regular updates on guests/party themes etc if people are expected to part with money a year in advance in this financial climate. I love these cons and would hate to lose them but this does need to be addressed for future if we are to get good nos of attendees, as we havent had any updates since March for this event and its left so late each time which doesnt work for a lot of attendees.

Edited by buffy2k

I have bought gold for the last 2 but not this year and delayed longer mainly due to funding,for me its viable if we get the 5 guests. I must say i will be disappointed if we only get 3-4 guests (although i love all 3 we have so far) when other cons have far more booked.

This has been said before but ME really do need to take on board that each con should have regular updates on guests and whats happening if people are expected to part with money a year in advance in this financial climate. . I love these cons and would hate to lose them but this does need to be addressed for future if we are to get good nos of attendees, we havent had any updates since March for this event which does not happen with others i attend.

It would be easy for them to give us an update, they are on the board everyday (not that I've been checking or anything!!) just to tell us that they are working on getting guests, or if the gold/silver tickets are getting low, what types of items to expect at the auction and to tell us the party themes, which should be organised by now, if they are planning to get things for it like the decorations etc

Edited by peridot

I have bought gold for the last 2 but not this year and delayed longer mainly due to funding,for me its viable if we get the 5 guests. I must say i will be disappointed if we only get 3-4 guests (although i love all 3 we have so far) when other cons have far more booked.
The number of guests at events will vary due to guest availability.

This has been said before but ME really do need to take on board that each con should have regular updates on guests
It would be easy for them to give us an update, they are on the board everyday (not that I've been checking or anything!!) just to tell us that they are working on getting guests, or if the gold/silver tickets are getting low, what types of items to expect at the auction and to tell us the party themes, which should be organised by now, if they are planning to get things for it like the decorations etc
ME are always working on securing guests. They can't give any hints on who (e.g. we are working on getting 'insert name') until a deal is complete and the contract is signed.

If any of the ticket types start running low then a warning will be posted on here.

Auction items are varied - autographed items (10x8's, scripts, etc), Gold Ticket number 1, a meal with the guests, props/clothing from the shows, and so on. The actual list is not normally published, although some items (if not all, where possible) are normally on display at the event.

The party themes will be announced when they have been finalised.

The number of guests at events will vary due to guest availability.

This has been said before but ME really do need to take on board that each con should have regular updates on guests
ME are always working on securing guests. They can't give any hints on who (e.g. we are working on getting 'insert name') until a deal is complete and the contract is signed.

If any of the ticket types start running low then a warning will be posted on here.

Auction items are varied - autographed items (10x8's, scripts, etc), Gold Ticket number 1, a meal with the guests, props/clothing from the shows, and so on. The actual list is not normally published, although some items (if not all, where possible) are normally on display at the event.

The party themes will be announced when they have been finalised.

We are not asking for them to tell us who they are trying to get, just some reassurances that they are trying to get people. Also looking through the first HW forum, there was more updates and information then, with the themed nights and the auction, I know it was the first one, but I don't think that just because the event has been going a couple of years there should be less updates. Especially given that it is next month

I think this could also be the problem is the halloween weekend for the guests. For me personally I think in future I might hold off buying a ticket before the last month or so - not happy with the lack of updates each year

The notion that Hallowe'en makes it harder to book guests is just a theory, with absolutely no evidence to back it up. For the next few years, however, it will become less of an issue as October 31st drifts towards the middle of the week.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a bit disappointed about the lack of updates but then again I do get that they can't really tell us anything until its confirmed. I know we only have three guest at the moment but I don't think its because of the lack of trying, ME would want to get the best line up so people will buy tickets other wise it wouldn't benefit them.

I think someone might have mentioned it before but even leaving it late could be a good sign, some guest might not know their schedule and might not commit to booking early but the closer it comes to the event they might know whether they could defiantly attend or not. When it gets closer to the event I think most people me included assume we won't get any other regular cast members, but I'm hoping ME might surprise us.

I hope I succeeded in trying to restore a little positivity around this place. :P

Edited by Beccaasp!

i do get they cant tell us till its confirmed which works months in advance but why quite so late surely there should be a cut off point for trying for big names as they have to sell tickets and most people will have decided a few months ago if they were going based on the line up at that stage. Its not a signing event where people can drop everything with a few days to go especially in this climate as you need to budget especially if you attend more than one con. Surely even if you got 2 big names now it would be too late for many people to sign up late notice, book hotels, transport etc so not sure this would be beneficial to ME. I certainly know of people who have decided not to go this year which is a shame.

However this said i will have a good time at the con with friends who did decide to go to this, i just want to make sure going forward we get a good no of attendees so these events continue but things do need to be improved on pre con info.

Edited by buffy2k

i do get they cant tell us till its confirmed which works months in advance but why quite so late surely there should be a cut off point for trying for big names as they have to sell tickets and most people will have decided a few months ago if they were going based on the line up at that stage. Its not a signing event where people can drop everything with a few days to go especially in this climate as you need to budget especially if you attend more than one con. Surely even if you got 2 big names now it would be too late for many people to sign up late notice, book hotels, transport etc so not sure this would be beneficial to ME. I certainly know of people who have decided not to go this year which is a shame.

you would think with 3 weeks to go they would be wanting to sort out the schedule and design the con booklet, both of which they need to have the guest line up for. If they had all their guests in place then these could be done earlier, before the tickets are sent out.

surely there should be a cut off point for trying for big names as they have to sell tickets.

I agree with most of what you said, but not this. On behalf of all of us who have already bought tickets, if there's a chance of getting a Gellar, a Boreanaz or a Fillion to this event, I'd prefer that they keep trying right up until the last minute.

No doubt ME would love it if it was that easy. Unfortunately due to the nature of the acting world, a lot of guests are unable/unwilling to commit until as late as possible due to their own constantly changing diaries.

No doubt it is a higher risk, promotion wise, to sign up a guest a week before the event than it is to sign that guest months before. ME will weigh up if it is worth the risk though. If it is a guest who would be very popular then odds are that more people would find a way of attending than those who wouldn't/couldn't.

Personally speaking I actually prefer later guest announcements as the risk of cancellation is severely reduced. For that reason I am always in two minds when guests for the next event are announced at the current event :P It's great to see who is signed up but it's such a long wait and plans can (and sometimes) do change.

I agree with most of what you said, but not this. On behalf of all of us who have already bought tickets, if there's a chance of getting a Gellar, a Boreanaz or a Fillion to this event, I'd prefer that they keep trying right up until the last minute.

Which is exactly why ME will always work on guests until the date of the event itself.

I must say I'm disappointed not to know more about the line up (and I bought my ticket months ago!). But yeah, if there's a chance that they guest a popular guest (James, Eliza, Alexis, I don't know...), I really don't care if he or she is announced the day before the event :lol:

Edited by frenchwhedonist

I understand your point Peridot I paid long ago too & would love to see more guests right now especially as i've just been to a con with 9 so i would be happy to see anyone they can get. However surely it is shouldnt be this late no other cons work like this.

Many are saving for months now to be able to afford a con especially if they can do more than one a year & To assume people would suddenly find the money last minute for a top guest if they havent booked i think would be wrong when we are heading for possibly another recession and fans buy tickets based on guest nos/ value for money or if they can afford it at all & thats what i am seeing from talking to people in the fandom daily. Again this is not a signing event when you can decided on the day to go to. I also have no problem working on guests to the day but there should be a reasonable no in advance to sell tickets & if we only seem to get 5 guests total this is just about viable for a lot of people as its low compared to other cons that have been so this is a catch 22.

As for getting sarah or david, nice thought but i dont think you'll ever get them but I am now interested to see who the last 2 guests are going to be just let it be soon.

Edited by buffy2k

I'm hopeful that HW3 will have a great guest turn out.

Hallowhedon keeps getting more attendees each year, so given that Showmasters must surely be able to afford more guests or more expensive guests each time? I'm hopeful for a couple more guests (at least? (extra hopeful))

Given that a large part of the convention is wanting to listen to the guests talk, Showmasters must be aware that a good variety is needed in order to mix them up with one another, to keep the talks fresh and exciting each time for us and the guests.

Now the theme has been announced I'm constantly checking for guest updates too. Not that i wasn't already, hah.

I understand your point Peridot I paid long ago too & would love to see more guests especially as i've just been to a con with 9 guests so i would be happy to see anyone else right now.

Many are saving for months now to be able to afford a con especially if they can do more than one a year & To assume people would suddenly find the money last minute for a top guest if they havent booked i think would be wrong when we are heading for possibly another recession and fans buy tickets based on guest nos/ value for money or if they can afford any cons at all so it has to be weighed up & thats what i am seeing from talking to people in the fandom daily. I have no problem working on guests to the day but still there should be a good no in advance to sell tickets & if we only seem to get 5 guests total this is just viable for a lot of people as its low compared to other cons that have been so this is a catch 22.

As for getting sarah or david, nice thought but i dont think you'll ever get them but I am now interested to see who the last 2 guests are going to be just let it be soon.

Yeah I just went to that con too, and I guess that people wouldn't be waiting until the last minute to buy tickets if they had say 5 guests booked months before the event. I mean they could still be working on getting guest up until the event but they need to secure guests earlier.

I am now interested to see who the last 2 guests are going to be.
Last 2? Have I missed an announcement somewhere?

Well based on the last 2 we have had 5 so assumed it would be the same and i thats reasonable. It does say 4-6 on the site, but i didnt think anyone imagined just 4 which is low, & for gold and silver ticket holders disappointing. Still if it may be 6 and we would all be happier with that.

Edited by buffy2k

Well based on the last 2 we have had 5 so assumed it would be the same and i think a reasonable no although still lower than all the cons i've been to in the past. It does say 4-6, but i couldnt imagine just getting 4 that would be very low, & for gold and silver ticket holders as i am not sure its viable when you add it up. Still if it may be 6 would be happier of course.

Especially for those with the VIP tickets!

Well based on the last 2 we have had 5 so assumed it would be the same and i thats reasonable. It does say 4-6 on the site, but i didnt think anyone imagined just 4 which is low, & for gold and silver ticket holders disappointing. Still if it may be 6 and we would all be happier with that.
It is pure coincidence that both previous Hallowhedon events that have each had 5 guests. You can't base it on previous events. ME events in general normally comprise of 4, 5 or 6 guests. More or less than those numbers is also possible, and has happened. Edited by 1of2