Is visiting celebrity graves weird ?

dufresne

• 1 year later...

Many people who research their family trees spend a lot of time visiting cemetries all around the country and other countries as well, so either from a research / respect point of view visting graves is not unusual.

Many years ago I did go a visit the cemetry in Paris where Jim Morrison was buried, I was a huge fan of The Doors at the time and had also been reading Jim's poetry books as well. I don't know why I wanted to go, other than I was in Paris and so took the opportunity. What saddened me was the lack of respect for both Jim's grave and many others around it that had been vandalised. It left me feeling quite upset, for instance people had put grafitti on other grave stones saying "Jims Grave this way" and arrows etc, which I thought was completely out of order. I understand Jim's grave as well had been vandalised on a number of occassions over the years as well. Whilst there I also saw the Oscar Wilde grave as well, which was very impressive.

I can only echo what many others have said on the thread really, if you feel you want to visit a particular grave, please be respectful of the grave and the surrounding area.

For me personally I feel visiting a grave is something that should be kept to family and friends who wish to pay their respects.

To visit the grave as a fan is something I just cannot seem to get my head around. And taking photos is just plain weird.

I have taken part in remembrance services and processions at cenotaphs due to my family having strong military ties, but that is about it as regards visiting the graves of people I do not know.

Someone mentioned Graceland, but I can honestly say that I would never view the grave of Elvis but would happily look at any memorabilia about him.

I think the only time I would visit a grave of someone I did not know, or had met, would be if I was tracing the Family tree as GoldenGreen has mentioned above. And only if it had been proven

that the person buried there was a relative.

Also, noting something GoldenGreen had also said above, for so called fans to desecrate the resting place of an idol' and even the surrounding resting places as in the case of Jim Morrison, I

find that absolutely unforgivable.

Edited by General Miles Munroe

I hated that Jim Morrison's grave had people leaving cigarettes for him.

I genuinely was quite upset at how Jim's Grave and a number of surrounding grave stones had been vandalised, it was far from the quiet respectul experience I thought it was going to be when I visited.