Is visiting celebrity graves weird ?

dufresne

I was googling a late actor that I am a fan of, and I happened to discover totally by chance that he is buried in a particular London cemetery, as are several other fondly remembered actors. My friend then happened to say that she would like to pay her respects to one of them when he was next in London, but I can't decide if this is too far ?

Collectormania .... stage door ..... hotel ..... cemetery. :YAHOO:

A brief sombre tribute to someone you were genuinely a fan of, fair enough - especially if you are in the area anyway. I'd draw the line though at posing for pics at the headstone, or taking crayon rubbings of it.

Although that sort of thing might be acceptable for a History field trip to the grave of say William Shakespeare or Queen Victoria, so why not someone who passed away much more recently ? I've visited George Harrison's childhood home, why not his his grave as well ?

Just curious if anyone has any thoughts ....

The first time I went to LA, I took a photo of myself by Marilyn Monroe's grave and I have a few friends who visited Jim Morrison's resting place in Paris too (I went to Paris with the ex and he wouldn't go with me. Asshat).

I don't think there's anything wrong with visiting or taking a photo to remember it, as long as you're not digging anyone up or being otherwise disrespectful.

I have too visited Jim Morrisons in Paris when on a trip there.

And i have a photo taken at the spot where John Lennon was gunned down outside the Dakota building in New York.

But aside from the celebrities i have made journeys to visit Rob Roys grave in Scotland and also to St Barts hospital in London to visit the spot where William Wallace met his demise, each to his own i say.

Possibly the strangest story is my mates who recently on a trip to Jerusalem visited the plot of land where Steven Spielberg is to be Buried when he departs this mortal coil.

Edited by Lennybear

I have to admit that my initial thought was 'eww'.

Then it occurred to me, how many people visit Graceland and view the grave of a certain Mr Presley on a daily basis? If I was in the area I would as well. So I may have to retract my initial 'eww'.

Edited by 1of2

I don't think there's anything wrong with visiting or taking a photo to remember it, as long as you're not digging anyone up or being otherwise disrespectful.

Yeah, I agree with Yvie there.

I know a lot of Disney fans who insist on visiting Walt Disney's grave when they travel to Disneyland park in California.

Like your friend said dufresne, if someone wants to pay their respect, why not?

Why would it be going too far? Showing respect to someone, no matter who it is, is never wrong. If I'm ever in LA with a rental car or something, I'd sure like to visit the grave of Charlton Heston, who is my favorite actor.

Yvie, not going with you? sounds like a right ass!

That was before I married him too (we'd only been engaged for a week), I suppose I should have seen the signs :D

A brief sombre tribute to someone you were genuinely a fan of, fair enough - especially if you are in the area anyway. I'd draw the line though at posing for pics at the headstone, or taking crayon rubbings of it.

Just curious if anyone has any thoughts ....

I don't see a problem with it. I don't even see a problem with the pictures or rubbings to be honest, but I guess you would either need to be a very big fan or a "collector" of grave visits - and some people may find the latter weird but I don't find it particularly unusual; I'm not sure that an autograph of somebody obtained at a place where they were fleetingly during their life is necessarily any less weird than a respectful memento of where they've chosen to be laid for eternity, should you be interested in them.

I have a few friends who visited Jim Morrison's resting place in Paris too

Pere Lachaise is a fascinating place, (much as Highgate Cemetery is in London). Not just Jimbo, but Chopin, and Stephane Grapelli, Isadora Duncan, Maria Callas and Gertrude Stein, plus of course any number of famous sons and daughters of France.

Might not be everybody's cup of tea, but far from creepy or strange in my book.

Pere Lachaise is definately an unusual place but after hearing so much about it , was actually disgusted at the state of it and the way some people were walking over other graves with no concern .

We wandered round the outside path and read some stones but others seemed to head straight to Jim Morrisons and had no worries of walking over other loved ones graves.

I have a name for people like that but wont be allowed to say it on here :D

I don't think it's strange at all, Caron Keating (Gloria Hunnifords daughter) is buried in the graveyard close to my sons school and the day after her funeral we went down there with some flowers to pay our respects, we didn't know her but we grew up with her on Blue Peter!

I agree with the others, as long as you don't disrespect the persons grave or others around it, then why not?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your replies. I get it with Jimmy Hendrix, Michael Jackson, Diana etc - I just felt it was different for MUCH more lowly celebs. But if it's easy enough to find out where a guy from a programme you loved as a kid is buried, I suppose paying your respects is paying your respects ....

www.findagrave.com is a good website for celebrity graves.

Why would it be going too far? Showing respect to someone, no matter who it is, is never wrong. If I'm ever in LA with a rental car or something, I'd sure like to visit the grave of Charlton Heston, who is my favorite actor.

charlton heston was cremated.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to Highgate cemetary (in London) mostly 'cos I'm intrested in the old vampire mythology that surrounds it, but I visited Karl Marx, Douglas Adams, Oscar Wilde and Jeremy Beadle's graves whilst I was there. Nothing wrong in paying your respects regardless of if they're famous or not.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your replies. I get it with Jimmy Hendrix, Michael Jackson, Diana etc - I just felt it was different for MUCH more lowly celebs. But if it's easy enough to find out where a guy from a programme you loved as a kid is buried, I suppose paying your respects is paying your respects ....

I think if your going to pay your respects it doesn't matter who the person was, it's a nice gesture.

I've actually heard there are people who collect photos of grave stones, decorative ones, usual ones etc but they're always respectful and even tidy up ones which are neglected. So as long as everything is done with respect I don't see the harm in visiting or taking photos of what is for all intents and purpose a strangers grave.

I think if your going to pay your respects it doesn't matter who the person was, it's a nice gesture.

I've actually heard there are people who collect photos of grave stones, decorative ones, usual ones etc but they're always respectful and even tidy up ones which are neglected. So as long as everything is done with respect I don't see the harm in visiting or taking photos of what is for all intents and purpose a strangers grave.

You will be amazed how many people visit graves of famous people. I have visited the grave of Bill Owen aka Compo from Last of the summer wine.

Its in a lovely little church yard in Holmfirth,south yorkshire.

While there at least 3 other people were there as well.

I went to Paris in 2008 where there are two famous graveyards where famous people are buried , went to visit both and took photos there.

Edith Piaf

226.jpg

Oscar Wilde

225.jpg

Jim Morrisson

224.jpg

Serge Gainsburg

215.jpg

Samuel Beckett

214.jpg

Last year went to Washington DC and visited Arlington Cemetery

JFK

DSCF2493.jpg

Space Shuttle Challenger Disaster

DSCF2509.jpg

Space Shuttle Columbia Disaster

DSCF2510.jpg

I too think it's OK if you are respectful.

A lot of my family are at Golders green, and I always pop to Marc Bolan's whilst I'm there.

There are quite a lot of famous people that have been cremated there and it's nice to have a read, and pay your respects to people you have grown up knowing through TV, although not personally.

Maxine

if your are a fan and you are paying your respects to your favorite star,i dont see a problem with it,a friend of mine on a recent trip to the united states made a special trip to seattle so he could pay his respects to bruce and brandon lee,as he said as a life long fan its something he just had to do,i myself would also do the same.

theres nothing wrong with it atall,unless you consider paying your respects to someone you admire creepy.

i have visited several graves over the years,in various countries.and its my intention one day to visit the grave of my favourite actor james cagney.on a future visit to the states to pay my respects.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to Highgate cemetary (in London) mostly 'cos I'm intrested in the old vampire mythology that surrounds it, but I visited Karl Marx, Douglas Adams, Oscar Wilde and Jeremy Beadle's graves whilst I was there. Nothing wrong in paying your respects regardless of if they're famous or not.

Oscar Wilde is buried in Pere Lachaise in Paris, not in Highgate. I was at his grave on Wednesday.

I can't see anything wrong with visiting celebrity graves at all, as long as you are mindful that there may be burials taking place or people close by visiting loved ones. Although I do take photos, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable being in the photo, but that's just my own stance and I have no issue with others feeling differently.

I have mixed views of this.

Visiting the grave of someone and paying your respects is one thing but not really anything else.

I'm not sure how many other people on this forum are related to anyone within the business but theres two members of my Family, one an Actor whos quite elderly now and the other a retired Scriptwriter who in his day worked with some pretty amazing names his health is deteriorating somewhat and in April when I last saw him he hardly recognised me.

I suppose what I'm saying here is that I would be appreciative that when he passed people would put Stones (as he will obviously be buried in a Jewish Cemetery) on his grave although an exception to that rule was when Liam Neeson put flowers down on Oskar Schindlers grave.

To reiterate, I don't find visiting graves weird, its respectful but part of it would be strange. Honestly, its something I wouldnt do but thats just me.

Peace.