u.s. convention guests

fritzlang

does anyone else get slightly depressed seeing clips on youtube of dream convention guests in the u.s. that never do cons here? examples being; adam west and burt ward(now that really would be something!),mark hamill,cassandra peterson - aka - elvira,bruce campbell,nichelle nicholls,cast members from classic sci-fi tv shows like "lost in space",and "land of the giants",etc - to name a few,and all of whom make regular appearances at u.s. conventions.i appreciate some probably want too much money to make the trip,or just don`t want to travel that far.but we never get to see any of these guys here.

they say all good things come to those who wait,maybe we just have to play the waiting game............

• Moderators

Adam West, Mark Hamill, Nichelle Nicholls, and Bruce Campbell have all been over here. US cons get a lot of guests who, in my opinion, just wouldn't be worth getting over here as the demand isn't there. Especially a lot of the "reunions" that take place. I really don't think any of the con organisers here would be willing to pay out all the money to get some of them - classic TV and horror guests especially.

does anyone else get slightly depressed seeing clips on youtube of dream convention guests in the u.s. that never do cons here? examples being; adam west and burt ward(now that really would be something!),mark hamill,cassandra peterson - aka - elvira,bruce campbell,nichelle nicholls,cast members from classic sci-fi tv shows like "lost in space",and "land of the giants",etc - to name a few,and all of whom make regular appearances at u.s. conventions.i appreciate some probably want too much money to make the trip,or just don`t want to travel that far.but we never get to see any of these guys here.

they say all good things come to those who wait,maybe we just have to play the waiting game............

And to add to what David has mentioned, a lot of the guests you have mentioned usually dwell in the United States. So, it is like Showmasters or Massive Events getting virtually the entire Being Human cast as they live in the UK. It all comes down to location, location, location. Look at the recent Roadhouse 2 convention that had to be cancelled due to the very high demands of some potential bigger guests. If something is popular, then the prices go up. I prefer meeting a guest you can meet without the worry of having so many other attendees wanting to meet. It then becomes a lot less personal as there is no time to hang around and ask a question etc.

SM and ME have had some excellent guests, and have announced some killer guests for events this year.

You may also find that some of these "dream U.S. conventions" are influenced by networks and film companies pushing their film or TV series. Some conventions can be more of a press junket than what SM or ME put on.

I think also there is a difference between what some of the bigger name guests will do at conventions compared to over here. If a guest appears at LFACC or CM then the expectation would be that they will do signings and maybe a talk and photoshoot. I get the impression that at a lot of the big American events some of the bigger name guests will do a QA panel but not sign autographs in an official capacity or have much other interaction with the punters.

• Showmasters Admin

I have to agree with those above. There's a big difference with getting these people in the US than the UK. They can happily have them sat there and take $500. But that wouldn't even cover their hotel bill here, let alone their flight as well.

I know this is not but one that gets mentioned all the time is a certain Comic Con in the US.

It's not a signing show like ours. You do see some AMAZING guests announced but they are being brought there by the film or TV company. It's usually a quick trip down the coast, a 1 hour talk, a 1 hour signing and then they're back off to LA. It's a morning off and couple of cars. Not the 4 days and 2 flights for a UK event.

Also the main thing to remember is they have attendance of 100,000 people PER DAY and a signing with the cast of say Supernatural will be for 200 people max. So you have a 1 in 500 chance of getting in.

At LFCC we have around 20,000 attendees per day. Imagine if we got SMG but then said she'll only sign for 40 people :blush: We'd be killed on the spot if we tried it!

At LFCC we have around 20,000 attendees per day. Imagine if we got SMG but then said she'll only sign for 40 people :YAHOO: We'd be killed on the spot if we tried it!

People must think this is the case as they still ignore all warnings and 'run to get virtual tickets'. :blush:

• 5 months later...

In recent years many more American and Canadian guests have done events over here thanks to organisers like Showmasters bringing them over. Adam West has been at both Collectormania and LFCC. I heard from Yvonne Craig that played Batgirl that Burt Ward doesn't like flying do maybe we won't see him.

I'm sure Bruce Campbell has been over and Nichelle Nicholls.

What you don't always know is that many guests literally just pop into the shows in the U.S. , particularly those based in and around L.A., so in terms of time commitment they maybe give up one afternoon, rather than a few days if they came over to the U.K, so it is much easier for them to fit into their schedules.

On the other hand, you can always do what I used to do, save up some cash and go over to some events in the USA yourself , it makes for a lot of fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Yep. I saw clips of a convention that the cast and director of " Christine " were at in America , and clips that the cast of " Pet Sematary " were at in America, and i was so disappointed as i couldn't go there. I wish they could come to an event here.

Edited by Beth

I dont see how getting nichelle differs from getting walter or george! she would be as popular at least as them, maybe more.

mark hamil surely would be massive, though I guess it depends on his price perhaps.

there are many US con guests on the circuit who would be big who havnt been to the uk or have but not with showmasters.

I guess it depends on price to showmnasters

I dont see how getting nichelle differs from getting walter or george! she would be as popular at least as them, maybe more.

For Nichelle there may also be a difference of the kind of event she wants to do now. She has done Collectormania before by the way. She is signing quite slow and at another event she actually stopped the autograph session because of pain in her hands. If memory serves me correct she apologized on stage and said she had arthritis.

She may not want to commit to a signing event due to that.

For Nichelle there may also be a difference of the kind of event she wants to do now. She has done Collectormania before by the way. She is signing quite slow and at another event she actually stopped the autograph session because of pain in her hands. If memory serves me correct she apologized on stage and said she had arthritis.

shes done just about every official one going in the US this year and a few others over there, similar to showmasters cons.

shes done just about every official one going in the US this year and a few others over there, similar to showmasters cons.

At least the official one operate on a certain number of autograph tickets. So there is a set maximum. That's not really working for SM events. Or just hypothetically speaking - if Nichelle agreed to sign 500 autographs per day and you were the 501st person in line, would you like the idea of being asked to come back tomorrow?

Also the fact that she's busy in the US may have kept her away from here. Some people just don't like flying. It is a long trip.

On Twitter she recently stated that she loves London and would love to be invited to an event in London.

cast members from classic sci-fi tv shows like "lost in space",and "land of the giants",etc - to name a few,

Autographica a few years back in Coventry had a tribute to Irwin Allen and they had Bob May, Mark Goddard, Marta Kristen Angela Cartwright attending from Lost in Space.

From Land of the Giants they had Deanna Lund and Don Marshall.

As a group they were some of the friendliest guests I have ever met, I had a lovely chat to Bob May, who is sadly no longer with us about his trip to the U.K.

However, at the time I saw them they weren't particularly busy so I'm not sure how popular they would be , also bearing in mind the cost to fly them over.

Of course on the plus side for those of us that want to meet them , more chance to chat and I had the opportunity of getting some small group photos with them as well in Coventry.

of course there are guests we will sadly never see in UK, but its the same for the US or any other part of the world.

I think you are very lucky to have such a line up at every SM events, many US fans feel this way. I would even say the best events, guests wise, are here.

but that doesnt mean we shouldnt ask for more.

where the US are really way beyond the UK events, are for the comics guests, voice talents, and group photoshoots (but those are mainly US based). Hopefully it will get better ?

Edited by Skylover

• 2 weeks later...