some things i feel we need to share with the fans

showmasters

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a little ironic that it was on the friday I turned round to my friend and commented how easily the cards could be forged ;) didn't actually realise people were doing it, but then again its because I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.

In regards to the Exec lounge I hope it remains that we can still get the upgrade. This is the first time I have booked with the option to upgrade and it would be horrible if attendees who leave the guests alone got punished for other peoples behaviour. I'm glad you've spoken to the hotel regarding this, we can hope they take measures to enforce that only people who are allowed to go in there do.

Im genuinely shocked that people do this ;) I always say that the only thing that ruins these events for me is the people themselves and this shows again how true this is....god i cant stand people lol

I'd love to go on the Executive floor, its awesome we do it all the time at the Grand Plaza, an its not fair that scum like this would ruin it for genuine people :D

I have to agree with everything you guys have said. The fact that people do this is disgusting. People do it in the lounge bar downstairs aswell. It's a real smack in the face to everyone that attends and all of you guys trying to run a great event for us all.The only thing that i think is a bit unfair is if someone has bought a ticket for the convention and does want to upgrade to a suite. Does this mean not being allowed exec room access? Because it's something you pay for as part of your room i thought? Seems a shame to ruin something like that for genuinine attendees, maybe if the executive room people ask you to show them your badge or something when you enter? As far as photo's go maybe stamping our hands on the way out? But then no matter what you do there will always be some attendee's that aren't happy with that. Glad you are cracking down on it though

As far as I understand it (and I hope I am right) those of us who are genuinely purchasing the executive rooms and suites through the Hilton at the correct prices will not be penalised. I think one of two things is happening (Maybe both) but I don't know. 1) People are paying for lounge only access, if this is the case I am very, very unhappy with the Hilton! 2) People are buying cheap rooms on the convention rate and then upgrading to executive rooms when they arrive at a reduced rate, again unacceptable on the Hilton's part.

On our first con, myself and Sarah stayed in one of the suites, and as such had exec room access, it was lovely to go and chill out in the day time, quite often just the 2 of us. We had a few problems with the Hilton (absolutely nothing to do with Showmasters) which I frankly did not expect to experience in a £350 a night room. Apologies were made and a complimentary upgrade offered for our next visit (ET4).

When we came back for ET4, we were in the executive queen rooms and again used the executive lounge as a chill out area, myself more than Sarah and Emily, as I decided I was happy to chill out whilst they were down for the talks. The lounge was a fair bit busier than the time before but not packed, and personally, I come on these weekends because a) Sarah loves them and :P I love the parties, I would still come if there were no guests, so when I did encounter the guests in the lounge (Gill Birmingham, came and joined me whilst i was sat on my own) I just treated them like any other person (nod of the head, a hello, or an excuse me if they were stood in my way lol) and it was again very lovely.

This time I was thoroughly disappointed, I paid full price for the exec room, and at times I went there for a chill out and could not get a seat, there was definatley something not right!!

I will be booking exec room again for ET6 because I like these rooms and normally like the lounge, I will however be speaking to the Hilton, as I feel very robbed if people are going in there without paying!

I hope the Hilton resolve this and things go back to how they were for ET3 and ET4!!

I’m speaking for myself here, so I can’t vouch for anyone else.

When I arrived at the hotel to register, my Silver pass wasn’t there. However, my friends were (I’d booked four close together so we could be in the same group), so SM issued me another one and hand wrote my ticket number on the pass. When I came to collect my group photo on the Sunday, someone had already taken it so I missed out.

One of group unfortunately left her registration pack with her autograph card in the Executive Lounge. When we went back to collect it, it’d gone. She kindly asked SM for another one which they gave her, but nevertheless she’s extremely upset by reading this post and that fingers are being pointed at her. Accidents happen, and she genuinely lost her pack, and clearly someone else benefited from it, the same as someone did from my pass and group photo!

One way I think this might have been done is sharing ticket numbers on open groups/forums, people see your name/ticket number and then could fake some ID. Perhaps SM could have more stringent checks of ID when collecting tickets. May take longer but it ensures people don’t get away with doing this type of thing.

In relation to the Executive Lounge, me and my friends pay a lot of money to have a suite/Executive rooms, we have done for the past two ET’s.

We travelled to the convention in a group of 7. All of us were staying in rooms that allow access to the Executive Lounge. So all of us had the right to be in there. We paid for the rooms at full price, not upgrades. We did, from time to time, all go in the lounge together, but would have only used one card to get in. I personally signed in, but only for myself. Not all of our group did, but then there wasn’t always someone on the front desk. At no point did we bother the guests whilst they were in there. We even made the conscious decision to leave once because it was just too overcrowded.

A couple of our group have been extremely upset reading this, and have quiet wrongly assumed the worst and that people are pointing the finger at us. I hope this is not the case.

• Moderators

No names have been mentioned, so no one should be worrying.

If you had legitimate problems, then ME have nothing against that.

This is simply an explanation and some information to make people aware of what's going on, and a slight warning to those who may consider to do so.

Believe me, some people HAVE taken advantage. If you haven't then there's nothing to worry about, and the finger isn't being pointed at you.

I have to agree with everything you guys have said. The fact that people do this is disgusting. People do it in the lounge bar downstairs aswell. It's a real smack in the face to everyone that attends and all of you guys trying to run a great event for us all.The only thing that i think is a bit unfair is if someone has bought a ticket for the convention and does want to upgrade to a suite. Does this mean not being allowed exec room access? Because it's something you pay for as part of your room i thought? Seems a shame to ruin something like that for genuinine attendees, maybe if the executive room people ask you to show them your badge or something when you enter? As far as photo's go maybe stamping our hands on the way out? But then no matter what you do there will always be some attendee's that aren't happy with that. Glad you are cracking down on it though

the stamping on the hand would be a great idea, only thing is i would end up in severe pain for weeks afterwards due to a severe skin problem. maybe even have photo id, or some way to stamp your convention badge

The only thing that i think is a bit unfair is if someone has bought a ticket for the convention and does want to upgrade to a suite. Does this mean not being allowed exec room access? Because it's something you pay for as part of your room i thought?

See the final parag of this post earlier in the thread

I didnt even know there was an exec lounge til this weekend coz people were mentioning free food/drink and I was like "what?"!!

Does make me feel sick that people think its ok to do stuff like this. I pay out ALOT for cons, like the majority of us do, and it just takes the p*** tbh.

I know for a fact at Proms there were people who went to both but only bought a ticket for one.

I know another con company has a tick sheet with everyones badge numbers on for going into the auto room so you can only go in once. Maybe something like that can be implemented. But then that doesnt help with extra shoots/autos and if someone has been a **** and actually stolen your pass!

It would take more work but maybe everyones badges should have a photo/name on like SM do with the Gold passes for LFCC.

xxxx

When I arrived at the hotel to register, my Silver pass wasn’t there. However, my friends were (I’d booked four close together so we could be in the same group), so SM issued me another one and hand wrote my ticket number on the pass. When I came to collect my group photo on the Sunday, someone had already taken it so I missed out.

One of group unfortunately left her registration pack with her autograph card in the Executive Lounge. When we went back to collect it, it’d gone. She kindly asked SM for another one which they gave her, but nevertheless she’s extremely upset by reading this post and that fingers are being pointed at her. Accidents happen, and she genuinely lost her pack, and clearly someone else benefited from it, the same as someone did from my pass and group photo!

I'm very sorry that this happened to your friend and yourself but as David B said no where in this topic were names mentioned so the fact that upon assumption you have presumed someone means yourself and your friend I don't think you can blame anyone for. I've been reading this thread all day and have read all the replies and definitely no names were mentioned. I'm not entirely sure how you came to the assumption that people meant you but by the sounds of it there were a few large groups in the lounge so this could have been any one of those groups.

I'm very sorry that this happened to your friend and yourself but as David B said no where in this topic were names mentioned so the fact that upon assumption you have presumed someone means yourself and your friend I don't think you can blame anyone for. I've been reading this thread all day and have read all the replies and definitely no names were mentioned. I'm not entirely sure how you came to the assumption that people meant you but by the sounds of it there were a few large groups in the lounge so this could have been any one of those groups.

her pass was missing so she was issued a new one, and she was in the exec lounge. so mabey she just wants to clarify incase somebody questions her innocence? it's easy to feel guilty sometimes

• Moderators

If anyone is really that worried about the comments made by Jason, please just email info@showmastersonline.com and explain the situation.

It can't do any harm for the organisers to know of the genuine problems so that they can get to the bottom of the actual issues.

Just please don't make it confrontational or similar as NO names have been named here, and certainly no one is being publically accused.

I agree with everything that has been said but the only thing I would like addressed is the exec lounge access.

I have had lounge access for the past two cons and never approached a guest if I have seen them

If I have an exec room, I expect to be allowed in the lounge. I like having the upgrade and getting the free drinks/food etc.

If it means you guys having to put the guests in a suite for thier breakfast/downtime, i'd prefer that......

Just had a rant about this then seen Too Tall's post, I didn't know that the hotel offered upgrades to the lounge if you weren't staying in an exec room.

Hopefully those involved will not have the audacity to turn up for ET6.

I agree with you Jane about giving out ticket number etc.....

Edited by TwilightMum

Something dawned on me earlier that could ask for trouble. In the Introduction threads we give our full name, often where we live and nearly always, if we know it, our ticket numbers. Anyone could come along and take that info and use it how they want. Perhaps now is the time to stop giving out such sensitive information.

Something dawned on me earlier that could ask for trouble. In the Introduction threads we give our full name, often where we live and nearly always, if we know it, our ticket numbers. Anyone could come along and take that info and use it how they want. Perhaps now is the time to stop giving out such sensitive information.

I never give my full name out :)

With the ID checking when picking up tickets now, surely it'll be far too difficult to take other people's passes?

Hi there

Did the Hilton staff allow your daughter in the exec lounge when the alcohol was being served (6-8), I didn't know about that rule and we tried to walk in at 5.50pm and the member of staff in the lounge told us that we weren't allowed back in until after 8pm. As the only adult there with a child, if I wanted JUST 1 glass of wine in the lounge I couldn't have it. Just as well I don't drink anyway!

Just wondered if the staff enforced this rule every night as Sat was the only night we were going in at that time.

It's actually quite sickening the lengths people will go to.

It's so unfair on the people that pay good money for everything, and then there's those few people that get in for free by cheating the system.

It's ridiculous.

Me and my cousin were silver this time and she genuinely lost her photo shoot voucher. Luckily the crew member we spoke to about it recognised her from other cons and sorted everything out for her so she didn't have to pay again. But the fact that other people will have had to fork out another £60 because of those selfish people is ridiculous.

I agree that these people should be stopped from coming to future cons, they ruin it for other people and it's plain selfishness.

I don't understand these people one bit.

About the photoshoot problem, there is another event which does not work the way Showmasters does, and maybe it could be an idea for future events: instead of photoshoot slips, the "tickets" for the photoshoots are on the badge itself, and you only have to stamp the badge for every shoot and auto.... I quickly drew a basic idea of what I mean, for you to see:

badges.jpg

Do you think that could help the fraude decrease?

Possibly, but if people are copying tickets on the day, then they can copy a whole pass as well, unless it's made very intricate. Even sticking a picture of the attendee on the pass is no guarantee; if people are only going to use it for photos, they can fake a pass with their name and picture on it, and say no.57. So there'd be two Silver 57 passes, but unless crew were checking names against pass numbers on a master list each time, then as long as the fake no 57 didn't turn up too close to the real one, nobody is likely to notice. Sure your idea makes it harder, and may deter some people as there's more scope for it going wrong, but it wouldn't stop determined people. I hate to say it (as I know the squeals of outrage it caused last time) but a wristband system really is the most effective way of preventing unauthorised attendance (so many large scale rock festivals use it that it must be a reasonably effective method without involving undue expense or technology)

I know it's not as nice cus I kept mine from ET2 and 3 but what about slips instead? Like paper slips simply printed JUSTIN CHON (for example) and if showmasters have a stamp? I have one I paid like £4 for with like OFFICIAL SHOWMASTERS PHOTOSHOOT, no one would know the design of the stamp till the day, thus no way of copying it? And just stamp each slip, including them in the necessary packages.

But aren't people copying a Silver pass photo ticket that they only get at registration? Even if SM/ME went to the trouble of getting a new stamp each time, as soon as people had one, it would be copyable - and anyone who has, let's just say a laptop, a couple of inexpensive peripherals and some easily available software, a few skills, and the requisite amount of amorality will probably be able to knock up something at least superficially convincing, and possibly much better, in a matter of hours. Personally I couldn't be arrised, not to mention it contradicts my moral compass, but I'm pretty sure I could do it, as could several other people I know, just from personal amateur experience of knocking up artwork for various ventures/productions.

Given that, it's quite conceivable that at least some of society's bottom-feeders will be able to effect a scam like this, alas.

One way I think this might have been done is sharing ticket numbers on open groups/forums, people see your name/ticket number and then could fake some ID. Perhaps SM could have more stringent checks of ID when collecting tickets. May take longer but it ensures people don’t get away with doing this type of thing.

I hate to say I told you so (and in your case I probably didn't tell you, since you weren't registered on the forum at the time), but between all the info people paste here and on twitter and facebook etc, if somebody has the nerve to try it on, then there's certainly the opportunity...

Personally, I make sure never to mention my ticket number anywhere - after the first time I heard of someone claiming another person's pass at registration, I thought it only common sense.

I'd love to say I can't believe people are stealing like this, but some people are absolute filth and it's just sad they've chosen ME to steal from.

• Moderators

As far as the photoshoot vouchers go... I know that at one point at least the photo vouchers I had for SM signing events (when they were still printed on photo paper) were often stamped with a crimping stamp - I can't remember what it said, now. This would probably be harder to copy than just the basic voucher itself (which is, I assume, why it was done with the photoshoot tickets in the first place).

Bit more work for those preparing all the vouchers etc for the packs, though, and doesn't cover anyone faking that they'd lost it.