Wrestling Guests

Kyle Beech

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Then again turning his head without moving his whole body might be a bit of a stretch for Sly these days!

I'm not really interested in wrestling guests attending the show but if they draw the crowds in and help make the event a success then it can't be a bad thing.

Only comment I would make is I suspect this event, like a lot of other 'new' SM events, will be lower key and will mostly aim for guests based in the UK or Europe to minimise travel and accomodation costs etc. Presumably the majority of the names that people would be looking for from a wrestling point of view would mostly be US based which could send the costs of having them attend up.

Wrestling guests yes please. I've been to a couple of other UK ones and the wrestling guests always get a big turn-out.

Classic household WWE names from the 80's and 90's a definite.

Rowdy Roddy Piper

Jake 'The Snake' Roberts

Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase

Fred Ottman 'Typhoon'

The Ultimate Warrior

Hulk Hogan

Superfly Jimmy Snuka

Ricky 'The Dragon' Steamboat

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to disappoint you but Jake no longer lives in the U.K. He fled the U.K. a few years ago when the R.S.P.C.A were going to do him for keeping a snake in an unsuitable container. Although Jake is retired don't expect him to come back to the U.K. :lol:

I think wrestling guests on a whole are a good idea and would add many fans to the event. Having gone to a few conventions out in the States that are dedicated just to wrestling I can say that there is a market for it, it's just trying to find wrestlers that are affordable and have not made an appearance before.

If wrestling guests were to come over it would be best to consider the late 90's era of stars as many of the more recognised names from the 80's have come over to the U.K. at some time or another.

Edited by LSM

• Moderators

Unfortunately successful in the US doesn't always translate well over here - for example, horror is huge over there but not as popular here.

A number of wrestling cons have happened over here but they've never been huge.

I’m all for guests attending that will bring in lots of punters. But please, please, please don’t call Wrestling a sport.

It’s entertainment…like dancing…for big men…with bad attitudes…but not sport.

Unfortunately successful in the US doesn't always translate well over here - for example, horror is huge over there but not as popular here.

A number of wrestling cons have happened over here but they've never been huge.

David, for once you couldn't be more wrong. I attended all three of your afforementioned Wrestling Conventions and all three were sell outs, even the shambles of the last one they did was till packed to the gills. Wrestling is so much more popular than non-wrestling fans give it credit for. There is a massive gap in the market. All it would take is someone who understands the product and knows how to push it to run a succesfull wrestling convention in this country.

Anyhoo... we aren't allowed to advertise other companies conventions, but for those people willing to do the research will find out that there are still former WWE/WWF/WCW/ECW/TNA coming to this country this year!!!

I’m all for guests attending that will bring in lots of punters. But please, please, please don’t call Wrestling a sport.

its entertainment preformed by athletes, its sports entertainment.

in some cases its preformed by wrestlers (olympic style) turned entertainers

they are certainly more athletes than they are dancers...

Ignorant twit....wrestlers are highly trained SPORTSMEN ( and ladies ). I know plenty of wrestlers and they are more sportsmen than most 'sportsmen' !

Try telling a wrestler to his face that he's a dancer !! I won't mourn at your funeral !! ;)

• Moderators

David, for once you couldn't be more wrong. I attended all three of your afforementioned Wrestling Conventions and all three were sell outs, even the shambles of the last one they did was till packed to the gills. Wrestling is so much more popular than non-wrestling fans give it credit for. There is a massive gap in the market. All it would take is someone who understands the product and knows how to push it to run a succesfull wrestling convention in this country.

Anyhoo... we aren't allowed to advertise other companies conventions, but for those people willing to do the research will find out that there are still former WWE/WWF/WCW/ECW/TNA coming to this country this year!!!

I wouldn't consider any of them to be 'huge' though (hence my original post) and certainly nothing compared to the popularity of anything over in the US. It's a big difference in my eyes. As a fan for over 20 years, I do have an avid interest in them, and would absolutely love to go to one but I just don't think it's viable.

I wouldn't consider any of them to be 'huge' though (hence my original post) and certainly nothing compared to the popularity of anything over in the US. It's a big difference in my eyes. As a fan for over 20 years, I do have an avid interest in them, and would absolutely love to go to one but I just don't think it's viable.

As an expert on Wrestling I can unequivocally tell you that you are wrong. I can name a good handfull of wrestlers that would be 'HUGE' draws. And I can name a shedload of past Showmasters guests that they would be way more popular than, and that is no sleight against SM as I have been a die hard SM supporter since CM1. The facts are the facts though and the right guests combined with the right advertising will make money.

And of course not mentioning any names, but other UK events have featured ex wrestlers as guests and they have been huge pulls. I remember talking to the actor Ian McCulloch (Zombie Flesh Eaters, Survivors) at one event and he even asked me "Who is this queue for?" I replied "Bret Hart", he asked "Who's that?", so I said he was a professional wrestler. He then said "Wow, forgive my ignorance, I just thought wrestling was really bad acting".

For anybody looking at this post thinking wrestling is fake and not a sport, check out the documentary 'Beyond the Mat', and open your eyes to what these sports performers actually go through.

Ignorant twit....wrestlers are highly trained SPORTSMEN ( and ladies ). I know plenty of wrestlers and they are more sportsmen than most 'sportsmen' !

Try telling a wrestler to his face that he's a dancer !! I won't mourn at your funeral !! :D

Sportsmen and sportswomen are participants in competition to determine an unknown result.

How can wrestling be a competition when the moves are choreographed and the results are predetermined?

Yes they do a lot of training and yes they are athletic. But they do not participate in a sport so no they are not sportsmen or sportswomen.

And Dukegirl01 before you start calling people ‘ignorant twits’ maybe you should meet a few dancers. They are some of the most athletic and strongest people you could ever meet, able to perform through unimaginable pain. Unlike wrestlers who fake injury in an attempt to create drama.

Unlike wrestlers who fake injury in an attempt to create drama.

Let me list a few wrestlers who have "faked" injury in an attempt to create drama...

(By the way, this is a list of genuine injuries sustained, and not fake ones)

1. Steve Austin - neck injury when a piledriver went wrong by Owen Hart due to excessive sweat.

2. Mick Foley - loss of ear, burns, major flesh wounds, major concussions...the list goes on with Mick.

3. Sid Vicious/Justice - broken leg.

4. John Cena - torn pectoral.

5. Christian - torn pectoral.

6. Davey Richards & Christopher Daniels - concussions.

7. Mitsuharu Misawa - Died in ring after taking a belly to back suplex.

The list is positively endless. Matches are predetermined. Moves are not choreographed...matches are mapped out. It would be bordering on impossible to choreograph a match in the way some people suggest. Wrestlers are trained athletes on the whole - some are not so much in the Indies - and learn how to "take a move" if that move involves any sort of impact. So, 18blue78, before stating something, at least make it something that cannot be easily rebuked.

As an expert on Wrestling I can unequivocally tell you that you are wrong.

This intrigues me. What makes you an expert on Wrestling?

I like to think of myself as a bit of a wrestling historian. I read every book I can, watch every interview I can, I watch as much action from all corners of the world as I can and I am also involved in the UK Indie scene as a manager so I have been around wrestlers for the past few years. It is one of my major passions.

Try telling a wrestler to his face that he's a dancer !! I won't mourn at your funeral !! :D

Sportsmen and sportswomen are participants in competition to determine an unknown result.

How can wrestling be a competition when the moves are choreographed and the results are predetermined?

Yes they do a lot of training and yes they are athletic. But they do not participate in a sport so no they are not sportsmen or sportswomen.

And Dukegirl01 before you start calling people ‘ignorant twits’ maybe you should meet a few dancers. They are some of the most athletic and strongest people you could ever meet, able to perform through unimaginable pain. Unlike wrestlers who fake injury in an attempt to create drama.

I always thought that the goal of any sportsperson is to be the absolute best at what they do. In Wrestling, you are only given a championship if you are deemed the best by the promoter and able to carry the company. This argument is age old and as I have said before, no Non-Wrestling fan will ever give credit where it is due, but as for "faking injuries" what about all the countless footballers who dive in the penalty box every bloody week?!?!?!?!?!