Feedback

Beechy08

Photo shoot pics need to better organised. Suggestion - I notice that some one had mentioned a one way queue, which I think is a good idea. However David B mentioned that if you only wanted pics that were at one end of the table you had to wait to get along there. Why not put each guest pics on a different table, and implement the one way rule, that way you only have to go to the tables you need to?! Just a suggestion.

I suppose this is one potential way of dealing with it, but then you'd get far less 'grouping' of peoples photos because they wouldn't know which table to look on. All these ideas seem to have good and bad points, so no wonder they have nothing else in place at the moment :dance:

Only one other comment. I am the person that brought the Edward stand up both this time and last. I do not object to people having pics taken etc. I understand the fun etc, which is why we brought it in the first place. However I found that some attendees where extreamly rude! I know its only a piece of cardboard, but I paid for that with my own money and for people to just grab it a pull it away (and eventually tear it!) without asking I think is just plain rude. People just seem to think it's been provided by SM/ME. Sorry :)

And of course, even if it were provided by SM/ME, it should still be respected and not ruined! Same with anything provided at the party.

Of course, to me that goes without saying!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm afraid that's a number I just can't credit on its own. dB measurements are quoted with reference to a base or reference measurement. The usual such reference (0 dB), the threshold of human hearing. Using that as a reference, calm breathing is about 10dB, normal conversation a meter away is about 40-60 dB. Now given that decibels are on a logarithmic scale, an increase of 3 decibels is approximately a doubling in volume. So a 6dB increase is a quadrupling in volume. So if the music was at 0.9db and average conersation 1 metre away from you was 39.9 db, that conversation would be more than 8,000 times louder than the music - i.e. the music would be completely obliterated by normal conversation. Even normal breathing would be about 8 times louder than the music.

Either somebody has got their numbers wrong, or they are using a different reference.

If they're using as a reference the noise in the room before the music started, and adding the music only added 0.9dB, that might make sense - it would mean the music made the room about 23% louder - which I guess might be reasonable - about a quarter louder?

I think you are right and the room noise level was used as the base reference.

Strangely though the human perception of loundess is worked out using a different formula than that of the dB SPL (Sound Pressure Level) formula that you have quoted. Generally, a increase of 10dB SPL appears to be twice as loud to humans. A gain of 20dB is four times as loud, 40dB is sixteen times, and so on.

The frequency of the sound is also a factor. Low frequencies are percieved as being quieter than that of a equivilent dB sound at a higher frequency.

As an example, the dB SPL pain threshold for humans is around 120. F1 cars can be higher than based on readings taken from a normal trackside vantage point. This is based on early 2000 ,from what I recall, data so this may no longer apply due to the changes in the engine regulations - lowering of RPM (**note to self - research current levels**). This may explain why listening to F1 cars is tolerable for humans due to the our perception but simultaneously is actually causing damage to our ears due to the dB SPL.

Morale of that example - always wear ear plugs at a F1 race - you may look silly but in ears (awful pun intended) to come you will not regret it :dance:

I have no idea how different animals percieve sound though. **Another research project beckons**

Strangely though the human perception of loundess is worked out using a different formula than that of the dB SPL (Sound Pressure Level) formula that you have quoted.

And that perception also depends on the frequency of the sound. We're more sensitive to some frequencies than others. Ain't the human body marvellous? :dance: (And yes, I too have absolutely no idea how if such variable sensitivity applies to other creatures and if so, how.)

First off - fantastic convention! Best one I've been to in ages, great atmosphere, brilliant lineup, good number of people to make it feel personal but still buzzing! Personally I preferred it massively to ET4 - with so many attendees you lose intimacy with the guests and with the other fans, and it makes for quite a stressful weekend having so many people pushing ME and the schedule to their absolute limits - this was just perfect.

I really noticed that we'd been listened to from last time - the passes were back, the individual photos were back. The crew were all fab, especially the guest assistants, and they were all running a tight ship. Andrew was a great step in compere, the talks were generally very good and the guests were comfortable with each other and us, which is always great.

My standard list of things which irritate me has been constant for years now, but none of it was an issue this weekend. Heckling, which there was little of, in-jokes, which were cringey but not on the level seen previously, obnoxious people, but I didn't meet any, and the Hilton, with whom I actually had a very positive experience! So overall, it really was a step up from any other event I've attended.

The parties were fantastic - all the decor and extra stuff was great, we were up far too late on both nights having a brilliant time! Gutted about missing Sunday, it looked like a lot of fun. Perhaps next time something a bit different though - something more costumey, I loved the era-based ones we've had, maybe something like that. Not another prom/masked ball please.

Dealer's room was great - it was too squashed in last time, so good call on shifting it. I finally bought a very customised Canvas Warriors hoodie I've been resolutely not buying for three consecutive conventions now, so waiting for that is helping ward off post-con blues a little! :YAHOO:

There are some things which could really add a bit of sparkle to the weekend, just the icing on the cake - extras like the fanfiction competition, meadow room, screenings, commentaries, quizzes, a costume competition . . . things like this have worked well before and at other cons, and it really just does lift the event as a whole as well as being a way to kill a bit dead space in the timetable.

But finally, on to my last (inevitable) point, regarding mixing the conventions. No. Please don't do it. I genuinely think you'd lose more people than you'd gain. If I want to meet random guests, there's always the other signing events, but something like this, the appeal is in the focus, the big shared interest between a group of people. I know it's a completely different kettle of fish what with it being UK-based, but the Hubs - I bought my ticket Friday night at the last one, I was ST89, and it's been at a similar level for a while now. If those cons are sustainable, with a long guest list each time, surely a couple of Twilight guests in the Park Inn is similarly feasible? Downgrade it, move it to a smaller hotel, but don't take the heart out of the events when that heart is Twilight.

Sorry to end on a downer though, because it was a wonderful weekend! I just hope there are many more to come. :D

I don't think I have a bad thing to say about this con (apart from the obvious photo pick up but loads have said about that already!), except that CREWING TAKES UP FAR TOO MUCH PRECIOUS RHI TIME :') <3

With the whole photos with guests at the parties thing, I wasn't gonna do it this time, but then we were told we could since everyone was getting one and Alex was being such a good sport about it, but yeah, didn't bother with anyone else, just talked with them :)

Can it be a new rule to have Alex & Mike at every ET? No? Can we have them in my room then?!

Edited by rayray_x

I don't think I have a bad thing to say about this con except that CREWING TAKES UP FAR TOO MUCH PRECIOUS RHI TIME :') <3

Can it be a new rule to have Alex & Mike at every ET? No? Can we have them in my room then?!

aww :YAHOO: I love crewing so much, but its true, I dont get to spend much time at all with you guys, none at all this weekend, but...............the guests we had, and the amazing parties ...........what a weekend! :D

I agree, Mike and Alex at EVERY ET, they were so awesome, all the guests were :D

I felt very priviledged to be a crew member :D

Oh yeah regarding a mixed con, I understand the logic but tbh If the attendee numbers decrease significantly I'd much rather ET's stop all together, finish on a high, I don't want to see them turning into something else.

Photos at parties......never had one at an ET til this weekend. I always reaallyy want to ask but never have because its just kinda that unspoken rule I guess. But Billy was around late in the party on Sat and he hardly had anyone with him so we decided, hey, why not, and he was cool with it.

I totally know why people want pix in the parties, its a pic thats a lot more informal, relaxed than the shoots and everyones dressed up.

I know Proms was a lot smaller an event but I liked what happened there with the Gold section separate in the party and the guests could go in there and it was ok to have pix with because we were told so. I guess that doesnt help everyone else who doesnt have Gold lol but someone mentioned a section where guests could go and it was like that at Proms.

Questions in the talks has allwaayys been an issue for me and I'm sure I've mentioned it in other ME event feedback threads. The amount of cons Twi and other that have happened = ALOT of questions asked. Why hasnt like a question database been kept? You could have such a variety of things for the MC to fall back on in talks that way. Maybe plan in advance what questions would be relevant, interesting etc.

I know it was Andrews first time as MC but the questions were repeated too much.

Only thing ET5 really lacked was some extra activities in the day compared to the usual photos, autos, talks. Like quizzes, contests, displays, screenings of some kind, somewhere extra to hang out etc etc.

But LOVED the weekend as always.

xxxx

aww :blush: I love crewing so much, but its true, I dont get to spend much time at all with you guys, none at all this weekend, but...............the guests we had, and the amazing parties ...........what a weekend! :YAHOO:

I agree, Mike and Alex at EVERY ET, they were so awesome, all the guests were :YAHOO:

I felt very priviledged to be a crew member :D

Is that cos you were sat with two of the hottest men to grace the planet?! ;)

Where do the question slips even get handed in? I couldn't find the box from last time :WAVE:

This question slips can be handed in at the registration desk, this is the same for any of our convetions.

Hope this helps

Ooo totally random pop in here but...

Could we PLEASE have an Isle Esme beach party at ET6?

That would be soo much fun :D we could have inflatable palm trees :D haa :D

WOO HOO! I so love this idea! Except I think that it should mean the whole convention moves to St. Lucia or somewhere.....or just some tanning lamps at the Hilton....ok maybe not...

You are welcome and thankyou. Yes, that is what the forum is for, and, yes, that sort of thing is best passed on to the appropriate person.

He was marked as being on the forum when I did it and messaged him as I thought he would see it instantly, but I think he was actually offline and the forum ws "ghosting" his name on the list of people online, it does that sometimes. He is possibly on his way home from work now, so no doubt will be on a little later.