Feedback

Beechy08

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely LOVING the weekend...thanks guys it's AWESOME...

And all the guests are fantastic....although I have to admit that I do have my favourites... ( hold on michael has just gone on the dancefloor) hmmm.. :)

Anyways..... Yes LOVING the guests especially ALEX, DANIEL & MICHAEL..... :)

Edit by 1of2: Sorry but I have removed your last comment as it may cause offence to some people.

Edited by 1of2

Absolutely LOVING the weekend...thanks guys it's AWESOME...

And all the guests are fantastic....although I have to admit that I do have my favourites... ( hold on michael has just gone on the dancefloor) hmmm.. :)

Anyways..... Yes LOVING the guests especially ALEX, DANIEL & MICHAEL..... :)

As for improvements...... Hmmm... Well this okay this probably won't be considered as an improvement as such and some of you may take offence.....however due to certain experiences I do wish and hope and request that you would/could do a convention ONLY for the British fans....!!!! I don't know how many of you will agree or disagree.....

Did you have a bad experience? We need as many attendees as possible for the events in order to keep them running. I know at ET3 lots of people said that some of the French girls were rude but there are rude people everywhere I guess. I actually met 2 lovely German girls at ET4 and it was lovely to see them again as they are both nice girls and we chatted to 2 Italian girls and an Italian guy who were all lovely also. I really enjoy chatting to attendees from other countries and find it quite interesting.

• Moderators

I'll just step in before it goes any further and suggest we don't single out any particular group. We all have bad experiences with many different people, not just at cons but anywhere.

I think it'd be VERY unfair to say "oh you can only come if you're British" or something like that. I know many polite, friendly and courteous fans from other countries that would have to miss out, and is that really fair? Of course not.

So let's please try to keep suggestions realistic, and not targetting anyone unfairly. This can be a useful topic if used correctly :WINCE:

Apologies, but just to make you aware, I have removed a few posts for obvious reasons. If you wish to discuss the reasons why I have done this then please feel free to contact me. My e-mail can be found in my profile. ** quickly goes off to check! **

For the people that have posted/replied - please do not continue this line of discussion.

Well I just got a mouthful by some posh blokes in the bar, telling me how wrong it is we are there. And that it's Wrong we are in pjs! I was only at the bar getting water as I wernt drinking tonight...... And I get that abuse! Nothing that SM/me can do about that...... But yeah was not nice being spoken down to and looked at all night.

Again not the cons fault but still it's ruined my weekend.

Et5 itself was brilliant, I can't think of one thing I would like changed, oh wait actually, I preferred they guy who hosted the talks this time. He was right on the ball. Got my gold for et6 too :)

Edited by Team Paul

Good:

This weekend was fantastic, the atmosphere was calm and chilled and for once I actually felt proud to be a Twilight fan. Nobody really hounded the guests at the parties which was brilliant as they actually stayed for longer than 5 minutes.

Everything seemed to run really smoothly, I found myself in the right place at the right time and got my photo's and auto's pretty much to the exact time scale of the schedule.

The parties were awesome and the music was much better this time. I love the bouncy castle... love it. And the petting zoo was so original. Kudo's to SM. Didn't stay for last nights party as I was so very exhausted.

Bad:

Not filming any of the footage and simply just putting it on the big screens. I don't know about other fans but I'd like to have some of my memories of the weekend recorded. Being as we can't record ourselves it means that the talks are lost forever which seems very silly.

There is very little places to sit down in the hotel and I found that if I was lingering somewhere a steward came and told me I couldn't do that and should go get an autograph or something. That wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't literally any time I was stood in the autograph room or in the corridor. I get health and safety but I felt some of the crew were a tad pushy at times, especially when I told them I would rather wait to get my autographs at the scheduled time and they continued to encourage me until I felt like I had to do what they said. However, most of the crew were lovely and I'd like to thank them for their time and efforts.

And I absolutely don't like the idea of mixing the Twilight con with other events in the future. For me personally I would stop attending. But I'm just one person and what needs to be done to bring in revenue is above what one singular person thinks haha.

• Moderators

From my point of view, mixed cons are always a risk, but at the same time something like Twilight can burn bright for such a short time and then people .. I don't want to say 'grow out of it' as such, but fanbases often move on from one thing to the next, especially when a large portion is young teen girls. It's a fickle business after all. So from a business standpoint, they probably do need to mix it up a bit to keep it alive. It's just the cyclical nature of the industry. Same with music and other stuff. There will always be the next Justin Bieber etc.

But if everyone shows there is still support, and enough people willing to go to a Twilight-only event, then they'll carry on. No-one should feel that one lone voice can't make a difference, because if you put them all together, they're pretty loud :smile:

Regarding the event itself - everything seemed to go very well.

The guests all came and played their parts very well. Genuine enthusiasm goes a long way. A guest like Michael Welch can really bring up the quality of an event because of how much he loved what he does. He has such a passion for his craft, but also for the fanbases and clearly wants to make sure everyone gets their moneys worth. I don't like to say that sometimes enthusiasm can feel a little "forced" but everyone on stage seemed to be extremely genuine, friendly and appreciative, as well as extremely interesting and funny.

As has been said, the attendees seemed to respect the guests mostly, and they reciprocated by spending more time out in the parties etc. It's just common sense really, and I know a few asked for photos which does make things a little awkward, but I have seen much worse. It's always difficult when others feel like they're "missing out" because they're respecting the guests and not asking. But when you see the guests dancing, and joining in with the games etc, you know you've got a pretty reasonable level of respect and comfort going on.

All the guests made a good effort with the talks, which generally flowed well, especially with a last minute stand-in asking the questions - all things considered, that was a very good effort, so thanks to Andrew.

It was quieter than previous cons but that's not always a bad thing. A nice relaxed atmosphere can be just as good, and I do think everyone enjoyed themselves. I do hope there's enough interest going forward, as they are great events to experience with some of the best guests to interact with, and definitely some of the best fans we have attending events.

Thanks to everyone I managed to talk to, and hope to see many more at future events :smile:

Id like to say... that i was sat in the final talk and looking at the panel and thinking 'that is one pretty awesome line up we just had'

I mean we had a couple of humans... couple of vamps and a wolfpack member!! You actually cant get it any an more decent mixture! I know people like to moan at announcements about repeat guests but the experience is different every time when they are with other different guests. i loved it!!

I had a FAB time! And i loved the energy the actors had with each other!!

Definitely LESS stressful having a smaller amount of attendees than last time... made me enjoy it that much more!!

I had a great time as usual...thankfully, I haven't fallen foul to any illness that seems to afflict us attendees post con!

This con was so much more relaxed than the last one which was down in no small part to the lesser number of attendees - bigger isn't always better!

The guests were lovely, as David said Michael is really passisonate about his craft...a real thesp! Completely brilliant with the kids!

I only have a couple of 'issues' ... silly little points really...hardly worth mentioning but whatever, I'm going to!

The Gold Pass drinks reception - I'm not as young as I once was and although this was no-one's fault, we were standing around for a long time and there were hardly any chairs in the room, half a dozen tops and I'm too old to sit on the floor, so yeah, nothing really just I would have liked to have sat down! I guess I could have asked for one but I didn't want to be a pain!

The damn smoke machine! - The effect is great in small doses but last night, I was choking and my eyes were stinging. I couldn't see the people I was with it was so dense!

Birmingham is a great location - the hotel is nice etc, but if these cons are going to be smaller, can we go back to Northampton? The Hilton is so huge and because of other events taking place (X Factor, and the Uni Ball) the intimacy is completely lost!

Finally - the petting zoo - errrr - nice try lol!

Just to add on the smoke machine alothough i didnt attend this con i attended ET4 & should be at ET6, but i badly asmatic and the smoke machince really does affect me, if it is just once or twice it is ok but maybe you should consider it for the future

Also it stinks and gets in your eyes and thout

Just a thought xx

First of all I had an amazing time as ever - thank you!

Only thing is I'm worried about the idea of mixing guests. I'm just not sure how it will work in the 3 day format? As for the talks the guests won't know each other so could be awkward? Also some people won't be interested in the non Twi guests so people wouldn't stay for some talk and have nothing to do? Also if there was like 3 non Twi guests people weren't wanting pics with then Gold won't be worth it? Just my thoughts - maybe keep ET as ET but run like a mini con like proms for the mixed guests?

But pos stuff I loved:

Great great guests!!!!! What lovely down to earth people! They really got into the spirit of the con and I loved herring them talk so passionately about their craft.

The compare was great - really liked him he balenced the talks really well.

The music was great - but maybe the DJ could get the Eclipse soundtrack?

The attendee I have to say really respected the guests and made them stay longer which was great.

Crew as ever were very helpful!

Thought the artwork for the banners etc was the best yet!

All the party thing like petting zoo, Forks High balloons were great!

Nice to finally see some healthy option at the food court but would have liked some fruit :)

Ahh it was all great!!! Thanks again! It ran so efficiently and seemed very relaxed. Why do I have go home?!?! :smile:

Hmmmmm I did have a feeling that post would be edited.. But having spoken to quite alot of the attendees we all agree.... Anyway I won't mention it here again..

I thought everything went very smoothly this weekend; possibly due to having slightly fewer attendees.

My only suggestion would be to ensure that the photograph slips actually have the word photograph printed on them so that I and idiots like me don't exchange them for autographs and then have to return to registration and explain how stupid I have been. :D

As for merging cons, just don't. If ET ever becomes unprofitable, just let it die.

Just heard about the idea of possibly one day merging the cons if it became necessary.

I have to be honest and say that other than True Blood which is an adult themed show, I don't watch Vampire Diaries, Being Human, Supernatural of any other shows along those lines so in theory I would prefer this didn't happen but I would rather have a mixed con with some Twilight guests than not have them visit us atall. I would still buy a ticket if it was Twilight guests I hadn't met before but would probably just stick with a Standard Pass.

There is always the option of brining the guests to LFCC, Collectormania etc...... but hopefully the interest in Breaking Dawn over the next 2 years will keep us going for a good bit longer.

My main bit of feedback (aptly enough) is the feedback caused by the microphones during the talks.

Firstly it would be a good idea to provide on stage monitors for the guests. There are often awkward moments where the guests don't understand the question because they can't hear clearly. This is also pretty awkward for us sat there watching.

It would also mean you could reduce the level of the FOH speakers because they no longer need to hear out of them as well as the audience. Thus reducing the amount of feedback.

I have to say it get's pretty horrible sometimes.

This is my fifth ET now and I really enjoyed it! :D

First - in my opinion I don't' like the idea of a mixed convention in the future, if it became necessary. If for example the only show/book/movie etc I was interested in was Twilight the likelihood of me booking with no guests (or a few) is very unlikely and I would only buy a Standard ticket to a mixed event - guests I'm interested could cancel, there may not be enough guests I'm interested in seeing etc. I think it could be risky. As long as you run an event I'm interested in (and I have the funds) I will support it, I hope there is enough support for Twilight only events for a while yet.

General feedback

Parties:

I really loved the petting zoo - I understand it was the first time it was done and I really think it worked well! :) I'd be happy to see it again/at other cons where appropriate.

Again I will say how I like Giles' photography at the parties - it's a nice momento

Can the smoke machine be used less? I have medical problems with my throat which means I can't stay in the room if it used excessively - I couldn't stay in there Sunday night at all.

Talks

Really liked the way the talks flowed and felt they generally flowed really well - well done to the stand in crew member (not sure of his name?). As always they were funny and enjoyable.

Liked the selection of which guests had talks together.

Other notables:

The crew were friendly and helpful as ever

Attendees that I did speak to were overall nice & chatty - was still too shy to speak to the cosplayers >.<

Guests - were fantastic, I loved how varied the line-up was. Especially liked meeting Mike for SG1 and Dan for X-Men, they both seemed happy and appreciative for the non Twilight items I got them to sign.

Great to meet Justin and Alex again - last time I met Alex I had no voice and couldn't afford a photo shoot with Justin at ET1, very happy I've now got one.

Bill was very friendly and told me he was loving his first convention - looking forward to seeing some more newbies/con virgins.

Jodelle was a sweetheart, so bubbly - got three Bree books signed (one for me, one for a friend and one for my Auntie - who Jodelle squee'd had the same name as her mum lol).

Suggestions/Comments:

Auction - Due to the noise (chatting etc) my mum who is partially deaf in one ear couldn't hear what was being auctioned off, I know SM can't really control this but it's something to be aware of/think of (?)

Things I've seen at other ME cons that I've loved and think could be good if time allows - Quizzes, Commentary (though I'm not sure how doable this is seeing as their movies rather than episodes, maybe parts of the movies?), double shoots - this was talked about for Hallowhedon 2, thought it could be possible for the ET's, e.g. Justin and Mike, Cullen couples etc.

Can't think of any bad points :) Ticket for ET6 booked.

Edited by chimmykins

My only suggestion would be to ensure that the photograph slips actually have the word photograph printed on them so that I and idiots like me don't exchange them for autographs and then have to return to registration and explain how stupid I have been. :D

I did this - had to exchange 3 photographs for autographs. I am glad I'm not the only one :D

Attendees that I did speak to were overall nice & chatty - was still too shy to speak to the cosplayers >.<

Aw do talk - we love to!

Also yes great pics thanks Giles!

Nice to see Jason feeling a bit better!

Haha, I'm just really shy - I was sort of talking to an Alice during Sunday (or rather my mum was while waiting for me) - couldn't tell you which Alice she was though (saw a few)!

This was my first convention of any kind and it was a completely surreal experience. I truely did love it.

Personally I think the biggest flaws were the parties. Saturday night was fine as the theme was prom so I guess it was quite accurate, but they were just exactly the same every night! I felt like I was at a school disco. I think rather than just the theme the whole thing needs to be varied. Saying that sunday night was supposed to be a chill out party was completely false. I was expecting perhaps just background music, or maybe even showing one of the films or something. Not all of us are teenagers so it would be nice to accomadate for the older audience. Also the music was exactly the same for all three nights. They just got boring and lacked a good atmosphere.

Other than that, the talks were spectacular. I could have sat in there all day having them talk to us. I really did have a wonderful weekend. Thank you

(Please bring Daniel Cudmore back again, he was absolutely amazing :D)

Just wanted to say THANK YOU! Once again I had an amazing weekend and it totally topped ET4!

2 problems: People in line for photos before their group has been called and holding seats.

Yes, I know I should have said something at the time but I didn't want to get anyone in trouble, especially if there was a reason behind it, if that makes sense. I'm simply mentioning it now so something could perhaps be done about it for next time, for example calling groups out for photos, like at ET4. That way people weren't getting in before they were meant to.

But overall I had a fantastic weekend. Is it October yet? :D

Oh, and feel free to bring Daniel back :D

My main bit of feedback (aptly enough) is the feedback caused by the microphones during the talks.

Firstly it would be a good idea to provide on stage monitors for the guests. There are often awkward moments where the guests don't understand the question because they can't hear clearly. This is also pretty awkward for us sat there watching.

It would also mean you could reduce the level of the FOH speakers because they no longer need to hear out of them as well as the audience. Thus reducing the amount of feedback.

I have to say it get's pretty horrible sometimes.

You'd never guess you were a sound engineer :D

BRING BACK THE QUIZ FROM PROMS!!!! :lol::D