Latest News On This Event

showmasters

I dont think it particularly helps matters when other con companies in the UK will and do pay these prices (which are passed on to the fans), as this sets a trend for the norm, etc etc

Think May's Chevron is the most expensive event I've heard of this year? so don't understand this point.

My post says Other con companies, ie non ME/SM events we aren't allowed to mention. (that are charging £60 for a photo op and £25 I think for autos )

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for letting us know what's happened and why.

I'm adding my vote for a Being Human con as the only reason I didn't go for Housebroken last year was because I'd previously booked for another con that particular weekend. I'm very much looking forward to the chance of meeting some of the BH cast at your other events.

So by that logic then at some point between September and this week they may have put their prices up - would it not be someone's job in the office to pick up the phone or email to check whether the prices had altered since then?

One presumes it's also not like ringing up your local Kwikfit and asking the price on a set of Pirellis, or popping in to see what tescos are charging for cornflakes. No doubt there's some umm-ing and aah-ing, and "how about we structure it this way?" and "suppose instead we tried doing x,y,z?", perhaps followed by "well I'll have to discuss it with my client" and offers and counter-offers and some periods where folks just don't return your calls. It may be that quite a few guests initially indulge in a little "extractive urinology" with their initial price but soon come down to a reasonable level, but these guys wouldn't. I know somebody who spent several months negotiating to get a band in, got their price and other demands down by about 30% over the period, then at the last minute the band got a big offer for a different date from somewhere else and immediately reset all their prices up 75% for all other dates, including the one which my acquaintance was just about to get them to sign for. He was seriously annoyed.

I dont think booking a star from a TV show can be likened to buying tyres or a pint

If as you say, the show becomes more popular, then surely they would charge more than they charged before the show aired.

Sadly, perhaps that does mean they will charge double one year than they charged the previous year.

And as Jason said, they can wait such a long time for the agent to confirm that a guest is available, perhaps pricing/availability changes during that time.

Who are we to know?

Whatever the reason, Jason has explained fully and been very honest, he cannot do more than that.

Edited by Rhianydd

Hi Jason

Can you please confirm that the hotel will definitely refund us in full as they didn't know when I phoned them?

I'm sure Jason will confirm when he's back, but for now I hope my reply will do.

Yes, there will be a refund.

Sometimes the Park Inn does get a bit confused if the responsible person for the convention bookings is not in. I think in the past it's been said to call between 9 AM and 5 PM, so if you called after that it's likely that the same happened to you.

One presumes it's also not like ringing up your local Kwikfit and asking the price on a set of Pirellis, or popping in to see what tescos are charging for cornflakes....

I dont think booking a star from a TV show can be likened to buying tyres or a pint

its really not like buying food in Tescos .

Crikey, I feel like I'm your scriptwriter :D

And I love the chutzpah of decribing wanting a shedload more cash for doing half as much work as well as wanting another first-class flight as "just a few things that need to be changed". Actually I say I love it, but frankly if somebody kept me waiting weeks then said we're "looking good" before unreeling those changes, I'd be hard pushed not to tell them to stop wasting my team. I doff my hat to you Jason for keeping cool with such bovine excrement. (Although if you did lose your rag about it I'd probably applaud that too, but I know it might not be a good long-term move for you).

You know what annoys me? These people are only actors! Nothing more, and look at what they are charging! It makes my blood boil. Us, the fans, the viewers are what makes them famous. GRRRRR.... talk about bite the hand that feeds them.

If they are so up where the sun doesn't shine I'm not sure that I want to meet them any more!

Hoorah for the Being Human cast - at least they care about their fans.

Thanks Jason for trying, but when actors get too big for their boots then all is lost. XX

My respect for Massive Events just went through the roof. Yes I know there are people out there willing to pay huge amounts, but it's nice to know that ME doesn't want to exclude those of us who can't afford those costs. It seems to me like they'd have had to raise the prices of all the tickets to make the whole thing feasible and I for one have a huge amount of respect for them refusing to do that. They have said that they'll still be getting the big guests along to the signing events so those who can afford it will still have the chance. Kudos to has to go to the Being Human guests too. I really must start watching that show!

It seems to me like they'd have had to raise the prices of all the tickets to make the whole thing feasible and I for one have a huge amount of respect for them refusing to do that.

I think it would have meant a quite substantial rise too. If one guest wants fees and costs which come to around $106k, that's pretty much £70k in UK terms. Which means if you got 700 people to the event, that's £100 per attendee just for that one guest. Add in all the other costs like general decorating and ticketing and crew costs and printing, not to mention five other guests, even if they were way way way cheaper, and it's looking like a very pricey event. Nice that they resisted the price, but probably good business sense too.

Even if you could get 1,000 or 1,200 people to a con with this guest, you're still talking about him costing £55-£70 per attendee, which is a huge slice of the budget. Think somebody (or their manager/agent) just priced themselves out of those sort of events... (which also of course may have been what they were trying to do :D )

I wish you the very best with the events you put on.

I know this has generated a lot of discussion on social media sites. Many fans are upset at what look like extortionary rates. Other fans defend their favorite actors.

If you are being accurate, it implies that the major stars of Supernatural want 150,000 US dollars for a weekend appearance. You don't say if that includes agent fees and transportation and hotel costs. Since there are two major stars, four if you stretch it a little, that leaves very little to our imagination. I wonder if that was your intent?

I caution that it seems inflammatory. While my business is convention going, not planning, I think there is probably more to the whole situation than meets the eye.

I'd be curious to see both sides of the story since this is meant to be very unflattering to the actors and agents.

I'm happy to meet guests who really want to meet fans and have fun at those events and usually these are smaller guests.

I know Ian Somerholder, Paul Wesley and Nina Dobrev all like meeting their fans and this was evident at a convention I was able to attend last year before they really got big. It's such a shame that you have to miss out on meeting them due to availability and cost. Would availability also be due to the fact that the TVD cast may still be filming at that point?

I think the problem with paying for the bigger stars, is that when big companies in America are throwing large sums of money at them to attend 6 or 7 conventions a year, then they in reality they're not gonig to take a pay drop to do one in another country.

I'm sure that when they started out, they were getting a more reasonable fee, but as the organisers realise they can make a lot of money, up goes the prices of the tickets, and in turn, to the stars too. You just need to look at recent happenings in America where they've added on meet and greets for over a $1000 a ticket, and tickets to a special jamming session for like $1400 a ticket (all auctions so all what fans are willing to pay).

Basically, we've been ruined by other companies willing to pay stupid amounts of money to stars. I personally find it pretty ridiculous that people have to stump up so much cash for the bigger stars of little tv shows, but unfortunately, that seems the way it's going.

I went to the last Roadhouse, and had a great time. I've also been to another con which didn't have one of the big stars, but again, I had a great time. Sometimes when you have the bigger stars, some people seem to lose the ability to control themselves and turn into nutters. I'd happily attend a convention with some 'smaller' guests, because as others have said, sometimes they're the ones who make a weekend. Gabe Tigerman and Rob Benedict are 2 names from SN which would have me buying a ticket in a flash.

It's a shame that this con is not happening, but I think aiming for one of the big stars is probably what left it dead in the water. Maybe 2 good guests from each show would have worked, but without the BIG ones, would have been enough to save it. But then ME know what they're doing, and if they thought the only way to make the con work was to big star, then it's a shame.

people that booked the con hotel will get a full refund as that is agreed by us and the hotel to protect you all , thats why are ask you to book into the the con hotel as you are protected that way .

When attendees already attend other weekend cons and are considering attending another one as an extra, sometimes the price of the con hotel can be too much - and I know that I would rather save on hotel to have more money to put towards a more expensive con ticket.

I could have booked the Park Inn but then I would have only been able to budget for a standard ticket, and no photos... whereas this time I booked the Travelodge across the road in the sale (so I could afford a gold ticket) as I blondely believed that SM & ME would live up to my previous experiences and this con would go ahead. :lol: That'll teach me!!!

You know what annoys me? These people are only actors! Nothing more, and look at what they are charging! It makes my blood boil. Us, the fans, the viewers are what makes them famous. GRRRRR.... talk about bite the hand that feeds them.

If they are so up where the sun doesn't shine I'm not sure that I want to meet them any more!

Hoorah for the Being Human cast - at least they care about their fans.

Thanks Jason for trying, but when actors get too big for their boots then all is lost. XX

So agree.

Just think people... in 10/15 years time these will be the types that turn up to the opening of an envelope because the career has gone down the pan after the SN/ VD series have ended and no one wants them because they are to familiar to be seen in any other role.

Considering what they get paid per episode it just smacks of "taking the ****". I mean...is it such a hard life that they can only work for 3 hours a day....ahh didums.

Get Housebroken going again....British actors are not so up their own bottoms.

And just one other thought...for the over the top paid US "stars"... not that long ago acting was considered one of the lowest forms of employment. Seen as entertainment for the masses :lol: and cheap as chips. :D

PS I know its a bit of a rant so please do not shoot me down in flames.

Edited by elullatook

I think Bezzie has it right. The reason these actors (well for SPN anyway, not sure about Vampire Diaries) charge so much is becasue that's what they've been offered elsewhere. There are so many events going on around the globe that the demand is high and that is what pushes up the price. I am sure we've all seen how much things cost at events in other countries, it's completely ridiculous.

I suppose there is also the case that the actors are making their money whilst they can. If they do indeed drift off into obscurity once their show has been off the air for 10 years or so, then can we really blame them for trying to make the money whilst they can? Sad for us, the fans, but that's life.

I think Roadhouse's issue, and that of any event spans multiple shows, is that the chances are that we'd only get 1 or 2 guests from each. So in order for people to part with their money, unless they happen to be a fan of all the shows represented, they would need a guest who is a main cast member from the 1 or 2 shows they do like. It doesn't matter how great the supporting cast are, and I would agree that in the past the supporting actors are often a lot more entertaining that the main ones, for people who are undecided about attending they need a really good reason to part with their money. The smaller part actors are just not appealing enough to encourage enough on-the-fence attendees to book to make the event viable.

It seems to me like they'd have had to raise the prices of all the tickets to make the whole thing feasible and I for one have a huge amount of respect for them refusing to do that.

I think it would have meant a quite substantial rise too. If one guest wants fees and costs which come to around $106k, that's pretty much £70k in UK terms. Which means if you got 700 people to the event, that's £100 per attendee just for that one guest. Add in all the other costs like general decorating and ticketing and crew costs and printing, not to mention five other guests, even if they were way way way cheaper, and it's looking like a very pricey event. Nice that they resisted the price, but probably good business sense too.

Even if you could get 1,000 or 1,200 people to a con with this guest, you're still talking about him costing £55-£70 per attendee, which is a huge slice of the budget. Think somebody (or their manager/agent) just priced themselves out of those sort of events... (which also of course may have been what they were trying to do :D )

And even if you could get 1000 people willing to pay that amount (doubtful), there's no way the guests would be willing to sign that many autos lol. I think you're right that they'll end up pricing themselves out of these sort of events. Which is a shame because I do think they get something out of it too. Maybe if they stop getting asked so much they and/or their agents will wise up and be more reasonable.

Just think people... in 10/15 years time these will be the types that turn up to the opening of an envelope because the career has gone down the pan after the SN/ VD series have ended and no one wants them because they are to familiar to be seen in any other role.

Considering what they get paid per episode it just smacks of "taking the ****". I mean...is it such a hard life that they can only work for 3 hours a day....ahh didums.

Plus 8 hours each way flying, another 2-3 at airports - without any delays. It's not like poping down the motorway for an afternoon.

How they wish to spend their spare time is their business. Sci-Fi fans have amazing access to some of thier stars. Maybe the TV horror genre considers itself more mainstream than Sci-Fi. Even then just think of the actors and actresses who've never graced us with the presence. Even after their show ends. Half the cast of Lost, Buffy, for example.

• Showmasters Admin

As you've said you have contact with the people from Being Human and it seems to keep on going from strength to strength is there a possibility of the housebroken event being attempting to be run again? I know I personally would love the opportunity to meet them at a convention.

Sadly, it's basic supply/demand economics. As a show like SPN gets more succesful (and goes to several seasons), then the demand for the cast rises. Supply of main cast is obviously limited (seeing as they are unable to clone themselves) and so the price goes up.

Eventually, they will peak (either the show will end, or organisers will stop booking them) and the price will return to a more reasonable level (the difficulty here, is whether the fans still want to see them, or whether they will have moved on).

Also, I don't think you can forget the role that agents play. I'm sure that some are upstanding people, who care about their clients, but as they get a percentage of earnings, you can't help but wonder if they inflate the prices a little.

I'd love a Being Human convention (I had a ticket for Housebroken), but sadly, despite having 9 members of the cast (including the awesome Jason Watkins), there just wasn't sufficient demand for it.

Hiya

I was not planning to attend this event, but I am really loving Being Human and would love to see an event, even if it's not a full 3 day con - I would definitely attend a smaller event like the Twilight Prom as a Being Human event, perhaps this is something you could look at doing, less actors and 2 days 1 night? I am not sure how commerically viable this is for you but it's just an idea and would be great if we could get to meet the BH cast outside of signing events like CM or LFCC :)

My Husband is really into BH as well, so this is definitely something we could do together.