Some say there is too many events

showmasters

I was giving my personal opinions, as Jason asked. So there's no need to question how valid they may or may not be. They were not put down to enter into a debate with you. So please do not speak on Jason's behalf. And there is also no point in you rolling out this familiar counter-argument, when you have nothing to back it up with. There is NOTHING to indicate your argument is how actors feel, so you cannot speak on their behalf either.

Edited by Zagreus

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Apologies - everyone else seemed happy enough to discuss, so I assumed that's what this topic was for.

I thought you might be interested to know that actually there have been a few guests that were extremely unsure about attending signing events before they did a convention, and in fact it was their good experiences there that finally convinced them to do so. Without conventions, we would likely never have seen some of the guests we've had at signing events.

But sorry if you saw that as irrelevant :P

And was this Jodelle Ferland and Naoko Mori? If not, then it is irrelevant. Just because you may have heard something from somewhere about a few guests, doesn't make the argument all-inclusive and covering every situation and guest.

Edited by Zagreus

• Moderators

And was this Jodelle Ferland and Naoko Mori?

I didn't say that. I'm not entirely sure why you're being so hostile. I was addressing your point that you suggested major stars should not go to specific conventions. Sorry if I've irked you by replying, and I'm not "talking on behalf of Jason" - however there HAVE been first time signers that have attended conventions and been convinced by that to attend signing events after.

I was simply illustrating that it can be a very useful process, and rather than actually taking them away from you, they're potentially increasing the possibility.

So it wasn't Jodelle and Naoko then? Who was it? You can't make a claim like that and not back it up. I could easily say the opposite. The guests who attend conventions always comment that they would have preferred a more mixed signing.

The reason I am "irked" is that every time we are asked for opinions, you seem to feel it is your duty to question and debate everything said. Instead of just letting people speak their mind and have Jason read and decide for himself.

Edited by Zagreus

........you might "be" a small friends and family fan run business but you do have to remind people of that. Occasionally compared to others you seem like the big corporate bully. Mainly because you do get so many nigh on impossible guests and run so many events. You have the money to get the guests.

As I indicated above this is something that worries me, I always figured that Showmasters was a team of people but now it would appear that one person being out of action (admittedly through a series on unfortunate and unforseeable events) could potentially result in the cancellation of a show......

As I indicated above this is something that worries me, I always figured that Showmasters was a team of people but now it would appear that one person being out of action (admittedly through a series on unfortunate and unforseeable events) could potentially result in the cancellation of a show......

I hope you don't mind that I'm going to steal what TooTall posted when the same issue came up in the other topic.

Thepurplehoodedwarrior and Terrahawk,

I understand what you’re saying and this cancellation has brought to light some issues that are going to be addressed internally so that they don’t affect shows if they should occur again in the future.

This is an internal conversation being had within SM and not something that is going to be discussed on a public forum.

Thanks,

Stuart.

So it's being worked on.

Sometimes something major is needed to figure out that something has to be done about something that seemed to be working well so far. (Sorry, I probably sound like my own grandmother now!)

And was this Jodelle Ferland and Naoko Mori? If not, then it is irrelevant. Just because you may have heard something from somewhere about a few guests, doesn't make the argument all-inclusive and covering every situation and guest.
Possibly accurate in the case of Naoko. She was very apprehensive about her first appearance at The Hub, and a lot more relaxed at her second.

Thepurplehoodedwarrior and Terrahawk,

I understand what you’re saying and this cancellation has brought to light some issues that are going to be addressed internally so that they don’t affect shows if they should occur again in the future.

This is an internal conversation being had within SM and not something that is going to be discussed on a public forum.

So it's being worked on. Sometimes something major is needed to figure out that something has to be done about something that seemed to be working well so far. (Sorry, I probably sound like my own grandmother now!)

As long as it is being worked on, I think a lot of peoples confidence has been shaken by recent events and while an internal conversation should not take place on the forum I feel the resolution should be announced.

Edited by Farqhuarbeedlebum

Can I just put that in your signature? lol

Its fair to say, that if/when she comes back to a con you will be the happiest man on the planet lol :D

LOL

Im experimenting with my signature these days, she will once again make an appearence on it soon.

oh man, yer naoko would make my year, announce naoko, pamela anderson and leonard nimoy and ill probably die with joy lol

naoko is just so beautiful and talented.

I had a CM convention dream about naoko last night (lol no not a naughty one, not this time) but my photo shoot was awesome lol, a dude can dream. maybe my convention dream was a permanition, come on jason, announce already lol

OK, I have not alot of time to elaborate but Jason, we already discussed this on this forum and face to face, so you know my point of view, which is very well summarized in the post by ChrisMK in the other thread.

On the other hand, I don't suggest you come back to the time of C4. I think one CMK, one LFFC and one CL would be a good balance. On top of that, if you add Autographica, 4-5 Massive Events and 1 or 2 conventions abroad, you already have more than 10 events per year which I think is a fairly good amount.

Also, you have more guests and more contacts now but I don't think this is only the result of having more events but simply because you've been an organizer for many years and you have obviously a lot of contacts with managers, actors and so on, so having some guests might simply be easier than 4 years ago for this simple reason. And the argument about some actors being available only at some specific dates is a bit strange also because, if you push this argument further, you can say that you need to organize one event per week just in case some good actors become available.

Anyway, I'll continue going to some of your events because of the quality of the guests. But if quantity is not enough for some events, I will simply skip them because I cannot attend so many events per year. And I'm very reluctant at booking ME at the moment because of the very high percentage of events postponed or cancelled. I'm interested in Bitten 2 but will first see if the event goes along or nor before making any booking.

In any case, I wish you good luck for your next events and I do hope you don't get more cancellations.

Can I just put that in your signature? lol

Its fair to say, that if/when she comes back to a con you will be the happiest man on the planet lol :D

Nope, Timelord will be the second happiest. I'm still on cloud 9 (see below)

scan0017-1.jpg

Basically I don't mind where it is, provided I can get there!

What I mean is, provided I don't have to sit in a traffic queue for ages, I can park easily without paying out a fortune, and there is a decent place for a cup of coffee after the long journey there.

In this case London is definitely NOT for me, I won't go to any events in London, unless my local coach firm is providing transport to and from the event (as they are for The Doctor Who Experience), or if someone decides to move Earls Court and Olympia to a new location outside the M25 circle.

Train travel to London is far too expensive so that is out the door straight away - pay for the train journey and I won't be able to purchase any autographs. London is fine for anyone living in London, as they can catch a bus or a tube there, but is of no use at all to any us that live outside the capital

Milton Keynes is just right, plenty of parking and is more centrally located than London. Other than that, the NEC at Birmingham as this is close to the M42, although last time I went to the Hilton Metropole for Autographica, the drinks were a bit expensive!

As mentioned before, I don't mind a long journey, I just don't want to have the traffic hassles when I get there. I have never been to a Showmasters event in London and have no intention of going to one in the future, no matter what guests are going.

you been dying thinking of where to post that init lol. damn you TISH and your TISHING ways lol, lucky lucky man

TISH? TISH?...don't you mean Trisha :D

'The International Serial Hugger' always strikes, lucky man, far too lucky

though no way dude, if I met naoko or pammy mt heart might stop lol, but im willing to take the risk ;-)

• Moderators

The reason I am "irked" is that every time we are asked for opinions, you seem to feel it is your duty to question and debate everything said. Instead of just letting people speak their mind and have Jason read and decide for himself.

I don't feel like it's my duty. I just have an interest in the events as everyone else does, and enjoy discussing them with people. There's never been anything wrong with healthy debate in my eyes.

Surely if that's done reasonably, then it isn't a problem? I'd understand if I'd been rude but I've been nothing but civil and offered an alternative viewpoint - something that many others have also done in this topic in the right spirit. I'm quite disappointed you feel so strongly as to be so harsh in your response. I haven't said you're not entitled to it, and Jason will of course read it just like the rest.

Hopefully you can take my points in the manner in which they were offered, and take no offence to them.

Not being a regular con attender I was intent on staying out of this debate, but since the issue of location has come up I feel like I want to put my input in. The number of shows per year has no effect on me really, as I only attend LFCC, EMS in November and, going on last year, three ME cons in one year. I could afford to do more, but I like keeping time free in case any other events come up that takes my interest.

Location is something that I've never really considered before. I'm more than happy to travel where ever as long as I know I'll have a good time at the other end of the train tracks/motorway/whatever, which I always do. In my opinion, moving the events from their current locations may well end up in less people attending, as Birmingham, London, Northampton and Milton Keynes are easy to get to in terms of rail & coach links.

I know cost is always a big factor for people in deciding whether or not to attend events, but maybe it should be put into perspective a little. I live on the south coast, in a tourist trap town, where the average pint of beer costs around £4.20, and a main meal in a restaurant (and this is a reasonable priced restaurant for my town) is around £8.00. Hotels cost 2-3 times more down this end of the country than they do in London, due to the almost constant influx of tourists in the summer, and the fact that there are not many during the winter. A weekend at a hotel here will set you back around £100-120 a night as opposed to the £50-60 a night in London.

But that's just my opinions on the matter, feel free to ignore me.

-'C

Xx

• Showmasters Admin

well that good its all worked out and we can move on ^_^

thanks good to have a clear path to move forward ^_^

i have lernt a long time ago that this place is a forum were there is so many people that have a lot to say and if you ask something you will get 50 different replies saying 30 different things , who's right ? time will tell .

you all have interesting views and thoughts but nothing is a "Fact" and it is your opinion and everyone has a different one .

i to have a different one .

i think WE ARE IN RECESSION guys ok .

we do have to do things different over this years than others and when things pick up we ready to grow and move forward , but we have to keep on trying and seeing what would work .

when we ran the first Twilight con people on here said in loud voices what the hell are showmasters doing the film is not even out yet ? .

well we did the con and this has been good for lots of fans and we did know something more than some on here thought we did ?.

so maybe just maybe we do know what we are doing , maybe we know what we are doing when we felt that cancelling CML was the right thing to do ? maybe we could not see when it was booked it was not going to work and then when things change we adapted to that change and instead of having a big ego and pride and just keep on running the event we canceled it .

we thought what was best thing to do and just did what was best for everyone incloding the fans.

but i think everyone needs to look around them selfs , EMI just went under tonight , its tuff out there , we are in a good place , and we have a plan for this year and next year and beond , but things change and we change with it.

as to all the points on here , well as i thought there is one or two of you on here that feel they are right , you have that right to feel that way , but i am sorry i do not think anyone outright knows whats right , or everyone would just do it .

one last thing i want to say

the forum has less than 3 % of the people that attend our events over the year , people mostly DO NOT come on here if they are happy or very pleased as most do not think about joining to say thank you or good job .

there is a lot of people join as they want to get more involved or that they have an issue or are unhappy in some way , so i must say there are 10s of 1000s of people out there that attend our events that do not even know there is a forum and they attend lots of our shows too , so i am not taking no notice of you or not listing to you at all , i just know there is a lot more people out there that attend our events that i also want to keep happy too .

we have talked about this in the office over the years and we do not feel there is to many events

we feel that we should try new events and some will stand and some will go

as to cons they are only planed to run for two to 5 years max as fandom moves on and its very rare for the small cons to live much longer than that its the way of the things , they live as long as the fans want them to run .

so all i have to say on this now is we will run all our event for as long as the fans want them to run :D

i really think really sums up my thoughts.

i hope you can see were i am coming from even if you do not agree , and i look forward to running more amazing events for you all in the future as we have in the past .

thank you

jason :D

I have a mixed opinion on the number of shows.

SIGNING events run soely by SM id honistly say seem fine..there would have been the march EMS, MK, LFCC, Glasgow then another EMS spaced out over the year, and throw in an autographica. As it happens two of those have been cancelled so far.

But when you throw in show specific CONVENTIONS into the mix with Massive events, then thats where I believe theres too many events going on. Their usually all in the gaps between the signings, and if your a fan of a large number of shows, you either pay up for each one or have to miss out, and potentially they take guests away from the signings for 6+ months or so.

Take the twighlight con later this month. Theres two stargate guests going too it who id have loved to meet, get a photo with and autograph, but theres no way I can go to that event. And the chances of them coming back for a signing anytime soon? Not impossible I know, but highly unlikely due to various things. Therefore, as I cant go, I have to miss out on these guests. But if they had been at say mk, then more people would have also been able to meet them.

Also, they have been very unreliable lately. I was going to go to Warp 10 last year, paid out for hotel and transport, and it was postponed a year. At the time it was a case of go, or possibly miss out, but thankfully Jennifer Lien was reschedualed for the now cancelled EMS. I dont recall the others having been available for another event yet though, and now have to wait for another reschedual, but will this be to the new warp 10?

I have booked a ticket for chevron this year, however due to now twice being burnt, I cannot/will not pay out in advance for anything else for it incase I lose money again. I would also have been interested in a couple more cons, however I will not commit to it now until 2-3 weeks before the actual events just incase, by which time all cheaper costs will have gone, and less to spend at the events.

Also, while the conventions are being worked on for guests, does this mean less attention is devoted to getting bigger names for the signings? Or is the the conventions which suffer as an afterthought of "oh, suppose we better try getting another guest for <Insert con name>", as surely equal effort cant be put into both. Then when a convention is on, everything seems to come to a halt at SM towers with the mods having to hold the fort telling everyone the SM crew are busy, so nothing will be done until they come back.

I think this is where a lot of people are thinking theres too many events. Its only because the conventions seem to take time/planning etc away from the signings which then makes them suffer. Before massive events came along, it seems the signings were a lot more thought out.

Now theres more events than ever, but pretty much still the same group of fans attending, so people are having to spread out more, meaning less attending each event, which can often end up making those who did commit suffering through cancellations or whatever..

So anyway, my opinion is the signings are fine, but too many extra events when you throw conventions into the mix too which seems to have a knock on effect for the year.

A weekend at a hotel here will set you back around £100-120 a night as opposed to the £50-60 a night in London.

Where is that in london?? Or is this pay up front non-refundable? Im honistly asking here now, as that is very cheap to what I can usually find UNLESS as I already mentioned its pay up front and non-refundable, then fair enough those prices can be found in small independent hotels or the chain hotels on the city outskirts!

Edit: I actually wrote this at 7pm but it didnt post oops!

Edited by crippsy_99

A weekend at a hotel here will set you back around £100-120 a night as opposed to the £50-60 a night in London.

Where is that in london?? Or is this pay up front non-refundable? Im honistly asking her now, as that is very cheap to what I can usually find UNLESS as I already mentioned its pay up front and non-refundable, then fair enough those prices can be found in small independent hotels or the chain hotels on the city outskirts!

Edit: I actually wrote this at 7pm but it didnt post oops!

That's prices I've paid for events in the past at various Ibis Hotels and Easy Hotels around London that I haven't had to pay for until arrival, but this was about two years ago so maybe prices have gone up since I last stayed in London.

I don't make a habit of staying in London anymore because of personal preferance to travel home every night, but if I'm booking hotels for events I try to use online booking agents to search for the cheapest hotels around even if I have to travel a little way to get to the actual event.