Some say there is too many events

showmasters

Random example. LFCC in July. CM:MK in May. Two events. An huge guest becomes available but only around November and then they will be busy after that for a unknown amount of time. That's your window of opportunity gone.

I get that, but let me add this to the mix:

There are 6 huge guests wanting to do events. 2 can only do May, 2 can only do July, Your guest can only do November and the 6th doesn't care and is available all year.

You run the additional show in November and logically, you put two guests at each. Now, if any guest cancels, the show is in trouble as it is hanging on just one headline guest (and it's the headliners that get the large number of people through the door).

My point it that it's better to run 2 events and just try and book the missing guest in teh next year (and be aware of the fact that in Hollywoodland, availability comes and goes, so it's possible that your 'November only' guest may find themself available in May/July).

Also, as Jason pointed out, guests are becoming available at a lot less notice. If you have fewer events, you can book more guests per event, which makes it easier to add a major guest. Let me alaborate:

You have an event like Roadhouse 2 with no guests. You KNOW that a major guest might be available, but won't know until a month before. The problem being that if you hold out for that guest, no matter how impressive they are, you have already accidentally excluded a large part of the potential attendees, who won't be able to get to the event at that short notice.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of surprised how many people are thinking 2 events a year will increase the amount of top guests that attend.

Once again, it will not increase the amount of top guests attending. It will, however, lower SMs risk profile, because they will be focusing on the shows that actually make money.

It will not increase the total amount of headline guests attending in one year (it will probably slightly reduce it, due to availability), however it will likely increase the number of headline guests at any one event.

I'd love a con in Manchester again but that's just me being from there :D

But I love the ME conventions, I found that going to Chevron has been the best decision I've made in a while, it allows me to take a break from 'real life'.

Random example. LFCC in July. CM:MK in May. Two events. An huge guest becomes available but only around November and then they will be busy after that for a unknown amount of time. That's your window of opportunity gone.

And they could only be availible Tuesdays. Do we then have a Tuesday event?

Or as Jason said the week before or after an event. Move the event?

Or just evenings. Do you then stay open a few more hours?

What if a mega famous guest has a few spare hours in London, the week your event is in Glasgow?

Incidentally Tenth Planet have run signing events to cater such guests.

Maybe Jason should book the guest, and just have a signing. It would annoy those who can't get there, but they could still sign a lot of photos. And its an opportunity to work your charms on them in person, talk them into coming back at a bigger show later.

well how am i to know which events will work and which will not ? with out trying to run them ?

That's a valid point, but would just say that in a time of recession, it's possibly not wise to try too many out.

i had 9 guests to a Being Human event with all but one main cast , were the fans flocked to meet just to main cast my Birmingham Collectormania show , so a full on con with 9 cast for i think it was £60 odd a ticket should have sold out only sold 56 tickets , so how do you know its going to work or not ?

I admit, that was just baffling. I don't know if people mostly wanted to see Aidan, or the rival event had an effect, or whether the BAFTA sponsored promotion had stitched you up (because the Being Human cast did several no/low cost events around the time the show started taking off). Either way, that was really unlucky and I felt for you on that one.

i will also say this year we "are" running less events , but if i start to run less evens do you think that other promotors will also do the same ? no they will run what they think they can run and there will not be any brakes between events so from my point of view i think that i should run the events i think may work and if in time they do work thats great for all the fans , if they do not well its still best to try and not succeed than to have never run Collectotrmaina at all ? think about it ?

I think some other organisers are running slightly less events and their shows are certainly not as well attended as they were say 5 years ago. Mostly, they are in competition with ME and in truth, I think that having a succesful event like that, is down to luck and tapping into a show, just as it's making it big (like you have done with the twilight cons.) At least one of your competitors has stopped running show/film based weekend conventions.

imagen if i had never had nerve to run Collectormaina MK 1

there were 5 promotors that came to this event to watch me fail and fall on my face as everyone knew that a free entry event would never work , as thats just not how events would work, funny that ?

You can see it that way, but I think they came along to see if it would work... I'm sure at least one of them took some tips away from that event! CM 1 is realistically the daddy of UK signing events and in many peoples eyes, it's still the best.

also the first con we ran others promotors and fans said it could not be done the way we did it , no event could be run were you got to do most of the events over the weekend and you had to clash activities over the weekend , well we did it and the people said we could not do it again we try , we sometimes get it wrong , but we learn and get it right next time .

Yep... and that's why I attended many ME cons and I still prefer the format. The issue for me recently, has been one of guests and reliability.

so i chose to have a go and try to make them work and some times they do other times they may not but we have done some amazing things and we still have dreams for more amazing events .

It's great that you're still innovating, but like one of your rivals has done, maybe you need to let stuff go, to be able to move forward with new stuff?

one last very important thing to talk about , the world is in a very hard place , recession is here and its hard on everything and everyone so for us to find it hard is not a surprise is it , so maybe we do ask for help from the fans of what we do , i do not think thats bad of us i think its smart as we can save wasting money on ads when the fans that like what we do help us to make the money that come is go further and it means we get more guests or have more money to spend on bigger names so i do not feel i should stop asking for help to promote in fact i think we should be asking more and if people like what we do they should help get the word out .

That's fair enough, but the problem is that many of your fans, met friends through your shows and therefore it's quite hard to get the word out beyond a finite group of people. You've used national press for advertising in the past (and I'm sure that played a massive part on the crazy busy Heroes LFCC), but it only really works if you have major, headline guests who are household names (John Barrowman springs to mind). I've said before, but I think facebook advertising is worth investigating as a relatively low cost alternative.

this is what makes us different to other events we are all fans and run by fans and the people that work hard at these events are all fans to , to whats the difference from all of you to all of us .

I have to disagree on this point. I know that you are massive fans and you get as much of a buzz from meeting cool guests as we do.... but I know at least two of your competitors are also massive fanboys (although perhaps without your impressive collections!) :D

too tall meet his wife in the line at C4 now he looks after the crew and helps us run these events , you the fans are us the promotors in a way , you may not have looked at it this way but i know the crew feel this way as we are all a team and make these event happen as a group , we even spend New Years together partying for 5 days together , so its more than just running events that work or do not work its a group of fans trying something new sometimes , giving it a go

That's great, but it almost implies that you run events, so you can hang out with your extended family. Whilst that's cool (and frankly, if I had the chance, I'd probably do it too), it's not a good reason to run a huge amount of events and it's not financially sustainable.

so we will keep trying and even though its a tuff year we will be here next year and the year after and we will have some amazing events in the future and we may not pull off all that we do , but it will not stop us from trying .

I'm glad you're trying and I have no doubt that there will be some great events in future, but as others have said, I think this is a time to consolidate and grow the existing events, whilst cutting some of the weaker ones (not Glasgow, which is clearly doing ok).

people used to say you cannot get this guest or that guest well we have proven that you can never say that anymore and if you try one day you might just get them so i think we will all keep trying .

Again, that's great, but I think the guests have too much power, if you're creating events for them to attend (which they might cancel anyway), rather than fitting them into existing ones.

this years cancellation is just a one off and i am not just saying this , never have i been out of it for so long because of being assaulted ,and with one of my business partners fathers having a triple hart op and another partners mum having kidney failure all with in 3 months , in a year when we have some of the worst recession figures for 90 years , so if we are not shining as much as we did 3 years ago then i think maybe this has something to do with it ?

Yes, this is the first major signing even which you've had to cancel... and I think it's why a lot of people are shocked/surprised (myself included), but ME have had to cancel a few events now and it's sadly weakening your reputation and (along with other reasons) is changing the way attendees book for events (as it, leaving it late, rather than booking early).

Of course there are unfortunate, external reasons behind it (and I think the recession is probably the most significant factor from a business point of view), but you've been trying to grow in the last few years, whilst others have worked to consolidate.

well there is plenty in this for the few of you that do feel there is to many show to fuel your debate :WAVE:

thanks for reading

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.

++edit++ can't see where I broke the quote, please dear Mods, feel free to correct if you can figure it out!

edited by QS because of broken quotes

Edited by Queen_Sindel

I never quite get the SDCC reference. There's so much about that show that is completely different from what Showmasters offer. It's more of a promotional event than anything, surely?

I'm guessing that you've never been to SDCC?

It is part promotional, but it is very much more than that and isn't far removed from LFCC.

It has guest panels (like LFCC), a vast dealers room (like LFCC), it has comic writers and artists (like LFCC).

Yes, there is a heavy promotional influence there and I'm sure it's something Jason would love to attract more of, but sadly, transport costs of promotional materials, makes it prohibitive for the studios.

LFCC could become more like SDCC, but it's just finding the right contacts and studios willing to invest. In some ways, it's a shame that Mark Millar didn't come to SM first, before doing his own thing, because LFCC is a good fit for what he wants to achieve.

I've been to all but one of the MK's and LFCC's since I started going to cons in 2005 and having attended con’s in the states I know how good a job SM do. I attended other organisers events in the UK back in 2006 (just to try them out) but had various problems with them and will not be going again (although am now considering a new event just to see what it’s like).

I also took a chance on the Coventry event and the London event last November and enjoyed them, to be honest it never entered my mind that a full signing event could be cancelled, a niche con maybe but not a big event.

My last bit of input into this debate is: run as many events as you want but please ensure that you can run them.

I appreciate (and have sympathy for) the personal and family matters that have gone on in the background but going forward there needs to be some sort of safety net in place. If Jason falls down the stairs (god forbid) and is out of action a month before the con in MK does that mean it could be cancelled as well? I don’t need (or want) to know the organisational structure of SM but I feel all attendees should be confident that if a convention is announced it goes ahead.

As attendees we already have to accept the risk we take of cancelled guests, messed up travel/accommodation and our own personal stuff when planning to attend an event but that should be it…..we should not have to worry about the actual event itself being cancelled.

A quick side note……. looking at accommodation for the MK con there is a difference of £30 per night between a refundable and non-refundable room …..that’s 2-3 autos. For the first time ever this is something I have to consider……..

Edited by Farqhuarbeedlebum

• Moderators

I'm guessing that you've never been to SDCC?

It is part promotional, but it is very much more than that and isn't far removed from LFCC.

It has guest panels (like LFCC), a vast dealers room (like LFCC), it has comic writers and artists (like LFCC).

Yes, there is a heavy promotional influence there and I'm sure it's something Jason would love to attract more of, but sadly, transport costs of promotional materials, makes it prohibitive for the studios.

LFCC could become more like SDCC, but it's just finding the right contacts and studios willing to invest. In some ways, it's a shame that Mark Millar didn't come to SM first, before doing his own thing, because LFCC is a good fit for what he wants to achieve.

It is the logistics I'm referring to - yes I'm aware of the similar elements, but also why they're possible to do on a far bigger scale over there. It's not possible to have full casts of TV and movies attend over here for a panel and a short autograph session. Not on the level that SDCC can do it, and for good reason. At least that's what I believe.

Jason can fly over numerous people to do lengthy autograph sessions, photo shoots, and perhaps a panel, but financially that's far different from what the core of SDCC is.

This is what I don't get - what makes people think that suddenly with less events we'll get an influx of huge main cast guests? We get them where we can, and they're tricky enough to get NOW, without halving the number of events. No one has ever said it's a financial issue that they can't get these guests.

Two things, firstly, as I've said, you won't get more guests in total if you run less events, but you might get more guests PER EVENT, meaning more money through the doors.

Secondly, of course you can't get some guests for financial reasons! If a guest asks for £250K (as a random example), then you can't get them, as you have no way of recouping the money.

Are you familiar with the term 'loss leader'? This is where you sell something at a loss, on the understanding that knock on sales will make up for the loss. Supermarkets do it in their promotions, so you come in to buy something extra cheap and then do teh rest of your shopping there. Well it can apply to headline guests as well. For example

Imagine 6 headline guests, all charging the same amount, all of whom will attract 10K guaranteed unique attendees through the door. If you run 3 events, you will get 20K attendees guarantees at each event. Run two events and you get 30K guaranteed attendees. The advantage of the second model, is that the secondary sales are likely to be higher (secondary sales being attendees buying autographs from other, smaller guests). Also, the overhead costs are way smaller (in terms of advertising, venue, crewing, etc).

I realise this example is hugely simplistic, but it does illustrate that sometimes, less is more!

But you were also appealing to the fan community. The fan community that knew that the NFI did screenings with the main cast that were better value than that; all those flocking fans had already met two of the three main cast, and you then gave them the same two, rather than the third. Your flock here were saying book him and they'd go, but you didn't.

Incidentally those two were Dr Who guests as well - I got their autos two or three times each for that at LFCC, rather than start on another show.

See, I don't agree with this. If you take into account things like that, then surely you need to think about stage doors, premieres, store signings etc. They are "better value" because you get to meet people for free! And if an event organiser starts thinking about all of that, then surely they'd not get many 'big guests' because they'd tend to be the ones that would go to such things.

And yet I've seen time and again that people are willing to go to signing events and conventions for the (mostly) guaranteed opportunity to get an autograph/photo with someone. It's a completely different situation, and I don't think they can think "oh there's a screening somewhere so we won't bother" because there's often many willing to do both, or that don't WANT to go to things like that.

I realise you're trying to put things into context but if we considered all of those types of things as reasons not to run events or get guests then I'm not quite sure we'd have much left.

No, the event he is referring to, was like a mini BH convention, where there was a screening, a talk by the cast and the opportunity for autographs and pictures for free. The only differences between it and an ME event was a) the organisation at an ME event is better :WAVE: it was only 1 day, not two and c) it was around £8

edited by QS because of broken quotes

Can I just thank you for taking the time and effort to fix that mess, it's greatly appreciated, cheers! :D

It is the logistics I'm referring to - yes I'm aware of the similar elements, but also why they're possible to do on a far bigger scale over there. It's not possible to have full casts of TV and movies attend over here for a panel and a short autograph session. Not on the level that SDCC can do it, and for good reason. At least that's what I believe.

Jason can fly over numerous people to do lengthy autograph sessions, photo shoots, and perhaps a panel, but financially that's far different from what the core of SDCC is.

That's very true, logistics is a major problem for US Tv shows and films.... but there's no reason why LFCC couldn't showcase UK shows and films? Hell, BBC America has a massive pressence at SDCC.

I'm positive Jason HAS tried to do the same thing with BBC/Sky/ITV, but for whatever reason, they've never gone for it. (although I am aware that Hot Fuzz DID promote at Manchester Gmex and Heroes were clearly promoting at LFCC).

In my mind, it's this promotion that is key and there are a couple of things needed for it. 1) contacts within the industry 2) the LFCC presence and reputation needs increasing 3) pressure needs putting on TV studios to go there (which is soemthing we COULD help with!)

My only gripe really is that I don't really understand the logic sometimes with the timing of the events

This doesn't really apply to the bigger events such as EMS/LFCC/CM etc but for example, Eternal Twilight and Roadhouse are both scheduled when the film/tv shows they are for are still very much in production and when you guys announced Roadhouse I immediately thought to myself 'are they mad, SPN and TVD are in production then' and its been very well publicised that Breaking Dawn was due to finish in March for a long time also.

I think if these events were scheduled at a time where they were not in production, getting guests would be slightly easier.

Jason said himself in the ET6 section that talking to agents has been easier because they aren't in production for the film

Obviously I know these actors could and do get other projects of course but surely running an event would be much easier if it was during a scheduled break in filming?

• Moderators

Obviously I know these actors could and do get other projects of course but surely running an event would be much easier if it was during a scheduled break in filming?

The problem there comes in that, especially for US tv shows, they're all going to have their scheduled breaks in filming at around the same time. Which would mean cramming ALL of the events into a short space of time. I almost guarantee that you're just not going to get as many attendees that way, as it's easier to spread the cost of events out across the year.

• Moderators

Plus it doesn't guarantee that they'll be free - after all, many of them choose to pursue other projects during that time i.e. movies for TV stars and whatnot.

And then it comes down to other areas of availability like when is the venue available etc.

It's all very complicated and I don't think there's any 'ideal' time.

Plus it doesn't guarantee that they'll be free - after all, many of them choose to pursue other projects during that time i.e. movies for TV stars and whatnot.

And then it comes down to other areas of availability like when is the venue available etc.

It's all very complicated and I don't think there's any 'ideal' time.

Surely it's an ideal time for a signing event? Even if many of the TV stars do other projects, there's still a significant number with no work over that period.

I prefer weekend con's and not signing events personally. I just came back yesterday from one and although it was a small group it was one of the best I've been to! So sometimes quantity does not give the quality it all depends on the guest's and attendee's. I go to MK if there is anyone I want to see same as LFCC but would rather save my money for the weekend con's as I think they give you best value for money. I do think there is way to many event's going on at the moment, so I'm picking the one's that have a guest I want to see while I can afford it. As for locations I think of it as if you really want to meet someone you have to travel to the location they are at. Yes it can be expensive and for those who live abroad must have one hell of a time choosing which one to go to. I've been to Vancouver as I wanted to see the set's and loved it, cost a fortune but it's something I really wanted to do and I'm glad I did as now the set's are gone.

I do think that SM are doing too many event's but that's up to them, if they think they can keep going then I suppose we'll find out soon enough! That's my ten pence worth so will see some of you at 7.6 in May.

I often think that there should be more events down south but I know sometimes it's just not possible.

I'm unable to attend MK as it's just too far for me and I'm not able to justify the weekend away :D

My first con was MK though in 2009 so I'm glad it still happens.

London isn't such a big issue for me as it's only an hour and a half away from me, although I don't go to every one because theres not always people I want to see

• Moderators

Surely it's an ideal time for a signing event? Even if many of the TV stars do other projects, there's still a significant number with no work over that period.

In theory, yes; however taking all the other factors into account as well, it may not end up as simple as that. It's certainly a good starting point.

one last very important thing to talk about , the world is in a very hard place , recession is here and its hard on everything and everyone so for us to find it hard is not a surprise is it , so maybe we do ask for help from the fans of what we do , i do not think thats bad of us i think its smart as we can save wasting money on ads when the fans that like what we do help us to make the money that come is go further and it means we get more guests or have more money to spend on bigger names so i do not feel i should stop asking for help to promote in fact i think we should be asking more and if people like what we do they should help get the word out .

this is what makes us different to other events we are all fans and run by fans and the people that work hard at these events are all fans to , to whats the difference from all of you to all of us .

too tall meet his wife in the line at C4 now he looks after the crew and helps us run these events , you the fans are us the promotors in a way , you may not have looked at it this way but i know the crew feel this way as we are all a team and make these event happen as a group , we even spend New Years together partying for 5 days together , so its more than just running events that work or do not work its a group of fans trying something new sometimes , giving it a go

The problem is you are asking fans to promote on netural territory, where we are free to mention rivals, and air criticism and moan when things go wrong. If we are the promoters are we expected to field the flak when thing go amiss?

Jason, you won't like me saying this - and you won't believe it - you might a small friends and family fan run business but you do have to remind people of that. Occasionally compared to others you seem like the big corporate bully. Mainly because you do get so many nigh on impossible guests and run so many events. You have the money to get the guests. Most of the events I do are fan run. They don't have that sort of money behind them.

Even the names of your companies imply

we are the Show Masters, we run Massive Events - it doesn't suggest a small fanled operation.

Just ask Derek and Paul about your reputation on some of the larger Dr Who forums. As a loyal Tenth Planet customer almost as long as there's been a Tenth Planet, it pains me that their events don't do as well as they used to. Other fan run organisations have come along - using a similar pricing structure to what Tenth Planet used to - and done just as well. Since TP adopted your pricing structure their once superb reputation has suffered, attendance has fallen. They aren't the value for money they used to be.

Just look at Bad Wolf. Last year you took a more active role - promising to make it the 'biggest, must attend event' and making it new series only, then 'bowing to fan pressure' at the 11th hour make it mixed again. What was the first thing I said when you took over - and hosted the webpage yourself? I said don't ruin it. ( I can't remember if you edited me, or just told me to wtach it) Did people rush to buy tickets? nope. You stuck a photo of Chris, David and Matt up so some here had the crazy notion they might be in reach. A tad optimistic, most were obviously waiting for them before booking.

We didn't exactly fill the Hilton. Real pity, I've got attached to it now too.

I hope it makes a triumphant return next year, personally my attendance depends on exactly where. If it's Northampton, no chance.

But if you want that reputation to improve, you've really got to stop trying to sink the smaller opposition. Iintended or not, it doesn't go unnoticed. Both sides suffer.

Where is the Invasion page on this forum incidentally? Won't any of the flock want to meet Rodney Bewes or Jacqueline Pearce? It's in 4 weeks!

Edited by TerraHawk

I personally think, that if Jason himself is confident that he can run all of the shows successfully, then why not go for it? If a show is proving itself a failure he has the sense to know when that is, and drop it if necessary.

Sure we may not attend every show on offer, but for every show that I personally don't attend, I know that other people will. I'm just grateful that Showmasters are there to provide the shows that I do want to attend (and we attend regularly).

If anything I wish there were more of the smaller, collector based shows, on earlier in the year at smaller venues. I used to love attending Jason's earlier, pre-collectormania, shows at Cheshunt.

This past weekend we were looking for just this type of show, and there were none about, and it's a long way to go until May. So that's my suggestion - could you guys consider a regular smaller scale collectors show, with no guests?

Also, although I love seeing the Star Wars guests at the bigger shows, how about a return of the Empire Days format, with a pure Star Wars focus? Again at a smaller venue, and with Star Wars only traders? I remember the first Showmasters/Falcon Society event that I ever attended was the one at the Watford Colliseum in 1996, and it's still one of the best UK Star Wars events that I have been to. It had such a great atmosphere, and I'd like a return to those days.

I often think that there should be more events down south but I know sometimes it's just not possible.

I'm unable to attend MK as it's just too far for me and I'm not able to justify the weekend away :P

My first con was MK though in 2009 so I'm glad it still happens.

London isn't such a big issue for me as it's only an hour and a half away from me, although I don't go to every one because theres not always people I want to see

Just out of curiousity, would you go to an MK convention if there was say 4 or 5 big guests that you really wanted to meet, or is the cost permanently prohibitive?

• Moderators

In theory, yes; however taking all the other factors into account as well, it may not end up as simple as that. It's certainly a good starting point.

A lot of the US tv shows finish filming for the summer in early-mid May. Thus making CM MK already IN that 'ideal signing event' time...

I prefer weekend con's and not signing events personally. I just came back yesterday from one and although it was a small group it was one of the best I've been to! So sometimes quantity does not give the quality it all depends on the guest's and attendee's. I go to MK if there is anyone I want to see same as LFCC but would rather save my money for the weekend con's as I think they give you best value for money. I do think there is way to many event's going on at the moment, so I'm picking the one's that have a guest I want to see while I can afford it. As for locations I think of it as if you really want to meet someone you have to travel to the location they are at. Yes it can be expensive and for those who live abroad must have one hell of a time choosing which one to go to. I've been to Vancouver as I wanted to see the set's and loved it, cost a fortune but it's something I really wanted to do and I'm glad I did as now the set's are gone.

I do think that SM are doing too many event's but that's up to them, if they think they can keep going then I suppose we'll find out soon enough! That's my ten pence worth so will see some of you at 7.6 in May.

But often those small events are not financially viable, especially if it is for a current show and the guests are not prepared to commit until a few weeks before the event.

I do agree with you regarding value for money, but at a weekend convention, you only get value for money if the guests are reasonable. You also take a bigger risk at a weekend convention, as the money is generally larger up front and non refundable, unless it get cancelled, even if the guests you want to see cancel.

That's exactly it, it's a starting point and it's a better starting point than February or March, when many US shows are still filming.

My own personal opinion -

Signing events are my own personal favourites. So many of the conventions have not had a strong enough line-up to bring me down from Scotland. They simply do not have enough big or rare names to make it worth my while. The upcoming Chevron and Middle Earth conventions are good examples. Chevron has one big name, but Teryl has been to signing events before, and I do not even remember from Stargate the other actor going. Middle Earth has both people from previous signing events and others who are too minor for me. I'd LOVE to attend both, but Massive Events conventions seem to be aimed at people who are die-hard fans who will meet any actor from it, or those who live in the surrounding areas. Keeping that in mind, I feel it's unfair getting such major actors like Jodelle Ferland for a convention when she has such a varied following who know her from other performances. There are plenty of actors I would gladly have paid to meet at signing events who have only been to conventions (Naoko Mori being a prime example).

I have been going down to England for Collectormanias since 2005, and as a result, the recent Glasgow shows have not been too enticing. Too many repeat guests and limited stalls. I don't foresee these shows ever being as big as the England ones, and not taking up more than a couple of hours of my time at most. So, while I am not going to complain about a Collectormania on my own doorstep, it is the England ones that I will forever travel to and look forward too. I am happy going to those big shows. They may be at the other end of the country, but London and MK are easy to get to. Manchester too.

From a personal perspective then, I would prefer the attention from the conventions being diverted into the big shows in London and MK. After all, from a convention line-up of 5 or 6 it's always going to be a gamble as to whether it will be worth your while going, and if the actors who are your reasons for going will cancel from the show. Whereas the massive line-ups of London and MK will, for the most part, always have something to entice. That's the main thing to remember here - the attendees have a very similar, braod taste in media (sci-fi, fantasy, cult), so the guests are always going to tempt someone. Why pidgeon-hole them to one convention / role?

• Moderators

I understand your point about guests going to specific cons when they're known for a wide body of work, however it's not always as simple as "ok I'm willing to do absolutely any event you want me to do, so put me wherever and I'll keep my diary free for the next year!" .. so surely it's better for them to get guests when they can, no?

What about those who are unsure about the 'signing event' experience, and so do 'conventions' first to get a feel for it, and be more relaxed around like-minded fans and some of their cast friends?

Sometimes it's a perfect way to get them for signing events in the end.