Some say there is too many events

showmasters

• Showmasters Admin

ok now you have a place to say what you feel is important to you :D

ok to start it off what do i think

i feel that if we can provide some good well run events with good guest across the UK i would like to be the person the make this happen .

i know that we are running the least signing events than at any time before CM6 and its not helpful in getting guests as sometimes i cannot book them when they are free . i know a major guest that i can get the week before one of my show but not a week later , and its a really big guest , it kills me :WINCE:

so if you feel strongly about this then here is the place to have your say .

ps lets keep it in here please as its really draining to the many people that do not feel there is to many events and in fact keep telling us that we should run more events near where they live

so lets keep this in here please thank you .

i look forward to reading your points for or against more or less events

jason :WAVE:

Edited by Rhianydd

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I see it, these events can be expensive. I enjoyed going to Collectormania MK twice a year, and Collectormania Midlands meant I had an event closer to him at the time, but it put a strain on the old finances.

At the moment I'd rather save up for a few big events then try to spread my money across multiple events. Collectormania 17 and LFCC are looking good to me right now. I may come to some of the other events such as the Star Trek and Lord of the Rings conventions, but as long as those main ones stay with us and continue to get the big guests, I'm happy.

• Moderators

Because it's better people express their reasons than have plenty of people that (a.) don't attend events or (b.) have multiple aliases etc.

Feedback is far better than a random "yes" or "no" answer, and discussion is more informative.

I can only go to the ones in London as it's too far for me to go to Milton Keynes. I don't mind how many events you have in London as it's an absolute pleasure to come to each and every one, even if it's just to look round the dealers tables or watch the cosplay, of course some really good guests would be nice as well :WAVE:

I say more the merrier :WINCE:

Personally I think there should be another event in Scotland. I think Scotland could potentially support two events with some patience and allowing them to grow gradually.

The Glasgow event already established then maybe a smaller convention type/ signing event located east to balance out the west of Scotland one. :)

I prefer to see more northernly located events further up than Northhampton. I would even be happy with just south of the Border say around Newcastle. :)

First of all!

Jason your health comes first.....i think that we are lucky for the very fact Collectormania exists

Now down to business.

I have been slammed by mods before because of my moaning........

I hate Twilght guests, Second stromtroopers from the right and Star Trek one episode guests.

Yes they have a place at cons!

Kenny Baker and Dave Prowse should always have a place...icons thats what they are .....but the guest lists of late are also rans......

I am a geek....i have a geek room in my house and spend vast amounts of cash on such things.....but we need the big guns........yes it a broken record......but you need the constants .... the star trek and star wars signing fans....but you need a big guest each time.

Now to be fair ....you have done well with a wee Con like Glasgow....there is always a cool guest.....but we need a crowd puller....someone that reminds guests to come the next year not just as a one off.

I have said it before! Scotland needs a good Scottish star....Highlander, Tennant, Etc.....

I thought the last London fest got it right....many niche guests but also lots of 80s stars.....Behien was busy....i stood in line for a photo and discussed with other guests how we like movie guests....Vivika is a step in the right direction......

Movie Stars from Cult Films.....we would love Daryl Hannah cause of Blade Runner...average joe would love the fact she's from Splash and Roxanne...great cross over! Thats what we need...not bit parts....6 great guests out weighs 75 boring guests.

I love you guys.....but you have to realise that as vocal as they are....Twilight, Star Wars and Trek collectors will not make a show!

I trave to London to the shows at great expense but i need a great guest....i am glad the event was cancelled as the guests were niche only......sad that it effected you thou.

I get boooed but we need atleast one or two big guests early for a show so we can commit!

I know its hard!

but we need bums on seats....and i aint gonna travel for also rans....sure i will be sad to miss the con,...but i want ot attend.....you need a Shatner, Stewart, Lundgren, Bakula...early for the money......

Jason....i hate that you were a victim....when i am not a geek i am a public servant with power. and i try to fight the good fight ...i hope that you stay strong and continue making my dreams come true......

Love to all

Goodie

Edited by Goodie586

• Showmasters Admin

Jason....i hate that you were a victim....when i am not a geek i am a public servant with power. and i try to fight the good fight ...i hope that you stay strong and continue making my dreams come true......

Love to all

Goodie

thank you for your kind words , i have had to say far more than i wanted to but it seemed i had to , anyway i do not want to hijack this thread so back to the main point do people want more or less events

jason :YAHOO:

Alright Jason, I'll be brutally honest (and a lot of people aren't going to like this, but so be it).

First, locations. There will be people on here who will happily talk about 'let's have an event in Northampton!', or 'How about another event in Glasgow?'. Bottom line, in this environment, there is only one thing that's important - and that's whether or not an event is economically viable. And an event in Stoke is not going to be economically viable, you know it, I know it, and in their hearts, they know it too. I find it amazing that you ran an event in Glasgow and made money. Maybe it didn't make money - I don't know. And that brings me on to my next point.

Now, the amount of events. Honestly? I think you should cut back right now. I think now is the time to cut back, and focus purely on 1 or 2 high quality events per year. Get in as many guests as you can, including the big ones, and don't dilute your offering. But focus purely on those two events. Ditch all of the 'secondary' events (Supernatural conventions, and all the rest of it). Just focus on CM, and LFACC, push them hard, and deliver them well, just as you always have.

Don't get me wrong, if a secondary con makes money, stick with it - maybe the Twilight ones are in this category, I don't know. But anything that is 'iffy',or 'debatable', get rid of it. Fall back on your core competencies, and hunker down to weather this economic storm. Because those that are inclined to stick with you, will stick with you, and those that are going to leave anyway, will leave no matter what you do. Right now, there is no growth strategy - there is only survival, and again that is about CORE COMPETENCIES. Stick with what you do well, what consistently makes money.

Back to Location. Stick with London, and maybe MK. People will complain about coming to London. But seriously, when a plane ticket to London from Glasgow is £25, there is no excuse, no excuse, for people not just getting on a plane down to London. And if those people don't want to spend £25 on a plane ticket, you don't want them at the con, because they will not spend anything. The people that will come anyway, will still come.

I would love you to run an event every month, in every county in the country, but we are not in those times, and you're running a business. If you can't survive by running two events in London / MK with quality guests, then bottom line you cannot survive. Get rid of everything else, and boil down and reduce your offering.

That's my view, and no doubt many will disagree - and if I've offended anyone, I'm sorry. But at the end of the day, your balance sheet needs to have a positive number at the end of the year. And right now, focusing on core competencies is the way to do it.

Meanwhile, I will continue to support your events, as I have for the best part of ten years.

All my best,

Mike

Edited by MikeDonovan

I think you had the balance right.

I like to have a few cons a year...yes its hard to go to London all the time but i also understand its easier to get guests there.

I respect that you tried Glasgow twice in one year and we all know how that turned out!

I find a gap of about 4 months is good for the main Cons....

The others are niche market con and they are not my scene. Not sure they are worth the effort but that may just be personal prefrence!

Goodie

Alright Jason, I'll be brutally honest (and a lot of people aren't going to like this, but so be it).

First, locations. There will be people on here who will happily talk about 'let's have an event in Northampton!', or 'How about another event in Glasgow?'. Bottom line, in this environment, there is only one thing that's important - and that's whether or not an event is economically viable. And an event in Stoke is not going to be economically viable, you know it, I know it, and in their hearts, they know it too. I find it amazing that you ran an event in Glasgow and made money. Maybe it didn't make money - I don't know. And that brings me on to my next point.

Now, the amount of events. Honestly? I think you should cut back right now. I think now is the time to cut back, and focus purely on 1 or 2 high quality events per year. Get in as many guests as you can, including the big ones, and don't dilute your offering. But focus purely on those two events. Ditch all of the 'secondary' events (Supernatural conventions, and all the rest of it). Just focus on CM, and LFACC, push them hard, and deliver them well, just as you always have.

Don't get me wrong, if a secondary con makes money, stick with it - maybe the Twilight ones are in this category, I don't know. But anything that is 'iffy',and that is 'debatable', get rid of it. Fall back on your core competencies, and hunker down to weather this economic storm. Because those that are inclined to stick with you, will stick with you, and those that are going to leave anyway, will leave no matter what you do. Right now, there is no growth strategy - there is only survival, and again that is about CORE COMPETENCIES. Stick with what you do well, what consistently makes money.

Back to Location. Stick with London, and maybe MK. People will complain about coming to London. But seriously, when a plane ticket to London from Glasgow is £25, there is no excuse, no excuse, for people not just getting on a plane down to London. And if those people don't want to spend £25 on a plane ticket, you don't want them at the con, because they will not spend anything. The people that will come anyway, will still come.

I would love you to run an event every month, in every county in the country, but we are not in those times, and you're running a business. If you can't survive by running two events in London / MK with quality guests, then bottom line you cannot survive. Get rid of everything else, and boil down and reduce your offering.

That's my view, and no doubt many will disagree - and if I've offended anyone, I'm sorry. But at the end of the day, your balance sheet needs to have a positive number at the end of the year. And right now, focusing on core competencies is the way to do it.

Meanwhile, I will continue to support your events, as I have for the best part of ten years.

All my best,

Mike

Mike....Many a GOOD POINT IS MADE BUT LEAVE GLASGOW ALONE....ITS MY ANNUAL HIGHLIGHT!!!!!

Some say there is too many events, Others say that there are not any events where I live

Well those two points aren't conflicting; some might think there are too many events, but not near where they live.

It's funny because yes, there are less events than last year. I did too many last year, and yet even this year I'm still fretting about paying for the ones I do attend. It's getting to the stage where I am looking for the slightest excuse not to go, rather excuses to attend. There's a fine line between not enough guests for to be worthwhile my going; and too many that it scares me.

I did collectomania last year for the first time. Mainly since you said it would be the last big Star Wars gathering (with LFCC being Empire, CML being Jedi) - you convinced me on that one. But now I've got so many SW people - with a few honourable exceptions - I'll remain content if I get no more of the extras. My book's been retired before it falls apart :YAHOO:

Now you might not think you are doing too many events, but that's the thing - that's only you. To paraphase the Radio Times disclaimer from years gone by - other event organisers are available. Having two big events on the same date bothers me far more than there being too many events.

It's a hobby you've said should be fun, but when you have to pick and choose, or rush around doing both, it's not so much fun.

Edited by TerraHawk

I dont think its necessarily too many SM events, its to many events in general half of which clash, for example this may alone in 5 weekends in may there were/are 7 events I was interested in attending alone, perhaps there were more i wasnt im not sure, with like 3 clashing on the same weekend, no way I could get them all off work, let alone afford them all in may. and after thinking about all that I need to sacrifice some to go to another as they all clash. perhaps spreading them out more, january, february, august, december all seem lighter with events in general, I know this isnt just down to SM though.

as others have said the more events the more likelihood of more and better guests as more dates are available for them, I agree with this, so keep running events, please, especially CM style events, i think spreading them out and avoiding clashing is what I would say would make me happier, I know we cant discuss other events on here, but just take 2 we can, last year chev clashed with dimensions, this year, what middle earth does as well? I dont think there are too many SM events at all, I welcome more, just spread them out more and try to avoid clashing (although i know sometimes its unavoidable)

you run fantastic events, keep it up please, its much appreciated. Showmasters are awesome. the more CM/CML/CMG&LFCC events, the better!

Now ME's? are there too many? maybe perhaps, considering the amount that have been pulled over the last year, I dont know how they sell though, the few ive been to have been quite well attended. so I dont know.

My thoughts

For me the current number of signing events is fine. I have no knowledge of the financial aspect of things from the point of SM but to me it makes sense to have more events spread over the year rather than a couple. If guests are become available at random points of the year, then there will be a far greater chance of having an event to cover that availability. With only a couple of events there could potentially be a very long wait before their availability matches up to 'your' event date.

Also if a guest has to cancel for whatever reason there may be a chance that they can reschedule to a another event much sooner rather than having to put it off for another year or so.

I genuinely don't understand why people think that having only two sets of dates will mean you get an increase in higher quality guests.

As for the conventions. I don't have an issue with the number of them either because I treat them as completely different type of event to the signing events. They are more intimate with everyone in attendance having at least one thing in common - liking the show/film in question. Yes, you get the similar signings and photo shoots. You also get an afternoon of talks (based on the show/film in question), guest encounters, quizzes, screening with commentaries etc. Also the theme parties in the evening for people to enjoy. You don't get that at the signing events - although you do get a much large selection stalls which is great.

And if I type 'singing' event one more time! Unbelievable I actually typed 'signing' instead of 'singing' that time :YAHOO:

Edited by 1of2

I genuinely don't understand why people think that having only two sets of dates will mean you get an increase in higher quality guests.

For arguement's sake lets say you had one event to go to a month, and you wanted to (and could afford to) attend all of them. You could be looking at £200 a trip on travel and accomodation. Total £2400 a year (that's just scary!)

Or you just have 2 events a year = £400 costs. So then you'd have an additional £1000 to spend at each of those two events.

Or you could just chose (or could only afford to do) 2 of the 12. You are missing out on 10 equally good events, with equally good guestd. If you are missing them well, it makes it easier to miss the others too.

If there were just 2-4 events a year that gives you 6-3 months each time to save up, people would have more to spend. So if the high quality guests show, there would be more people willing to get them.

The Big events need to be events. Look at the US San Diego Comic Con - it's world famous. They don't have one of them every 2 months do they?

I understand the financial aspect from an attendee point of view.

My point is this

So if the high quality guests show,
With less dates to choose from there is less chance that the high quality guest will be available for those couple of dates in question. How is that better?

Random example. LFCC in July. CM:MK in May. Two events. An huge guest becomes available but only around November and then they will be busy after that for a unknown amount of time. That's your window of opportunity gone.

My tuppence worth:

I like the current number of SM events:

CM MK

LFCC

CM Glasgow

CM London

I think I would prefer them evenly spread out over the year though, for example:

CM Glasgow - January/Feb

CM MK - April/May

LFCC - July/Aug

CM London - October/Nov (I like it being the last show of the year!)

I think in regards to ME events, I feel that there *is* too many of them. It would be lovely to dedicate individual cons to particular shows, but I do feel that each show has a 'shelf-life' dependant on their how popular they are at the time. In order to continually pull in the crowds, these events need to either get bigger (i.e. more guests) or scale back (i.e. get cheaper).

I think the selection process for these themes needs to be widened as well.

Turn the Twilight events into a 'Young Adult*' orientated event to include shows like Vampire diaries, glee, being human etc - things that will appeal to that audience.

Likewise maybe turn the Hub into a British Sci-fi TV series con, with Doctor Who, Red Dwarf and anything else that might qualify.

Hopefully the LOTR con will stand by itself with the number of people who STILL love LOTR and are interested in the hobbit, but if it struggles, maybe open it up to include other 'epic'-style adventure movies, like Avatar.

I do think a maximum of three or four a year, interspersed with the signing shows is all that people can afford in the current economic climate. That would mean cutting back the twilight shows to one a year!

*Just a quick point - by labelling it Young Adult, I merely meant that the Twilight books are technically young adult genre, but those people who enjoy these things may be of any age.

I hope I haven't offended anyone.

Edited by Evie_Nitram

I have to say I love the number of events there is!

Glasgow was always my first event and from then on i was hooked! I soon went to all sm events MK, LFCC, Middlands and ME's Chevron events! Now transport for me costs a bomb! but if i have enough money i will make it to an event! hell i would event hitchhike if i only had money for autos :-p.

I dont think haveing less events means better quality! SM have showen me time and time again that the can put on the same quality of show no matter how many there are. I feel that having the number of shows there is the now gives us the chance to meet more guests, as from whats been said before if there was only two shows a year then thats only two dates for guest to pick from. Now the chances are we would not get them due to filming ect! Larger number means more chance of them being available.

Also haveing many shows allows me to get some cools stuff from the dealers all year around, from new movies ect!

As for ME i love them! yes there are a few, but i think there also needed as well! I have done every Chevron plus added Bitten and Roadhouse last year! Now having less ME events could mean than i miss out and a great weekend con from my fav show!

My final point is I have made so many great friends at these events and it the only time i get to see them all (Living so far away from most of you sucks)

Edited by mojoe

I would love an event in Wales. Wales nearly always gets missed out for concerts, which can be a tad annoying!

Dr Who, Being Human, the old Torchwood, all were filmed here in South Wales. I love spotting the locations when watching the episodes.

Treking up to Northampton is no fun, and nor is Milton Keynes, and Birmingham just makes me want to cry.

London is the easiest for me, even Edinburgh is easier to get to than Northampton! LOL!

So bring a show to Wales, don't leave us out! (Cardiff preferably!)

Cheers! :YAHOO:

The Big events need to be events. Look at the US San Diego Comic Con - it's world famous. They don't have one of them every 2 months do they?

But it's so busy you won't necessarily get to meet everyone you want to :YAHOO:

Sure, but my point is nothing to do with the quality of guests - my point is to do with the quality of SM's balance sheet.

I would love an event in Wales. Wales nearly always gets missed out for concerts, which can be a tad annoying!

The harsh truth is that one of two things will happen. It will either make precisely £50, or lose thousands. The risk vs. reward is simply not worth it.

I understand the financial aspect from an attendee point of view.

If you're going to run a business, this is all there is I'm afraid. If your customers can't afford your product, you're done.

Kind of surprised how many people are thinking 2 events a year will increase the amount of top guests that attend. Jason already pointed out that many guests can’t make the shows that we already have dates for. Reducing the amount of shows reduces the chance of them being available.

Remember attending events/cons isn’t going to be high on a actors list of things to do. Sorry to say this folks but I think you’ll find they would rather be acting then chatting with us commoners.

Personally I don’t think it’s about how many events you organise, it’s about the quality of guests attending. Simply put if you organise 6 events full of top names you’ll be successful, while 6 shows full of extras will flop.

And when it comes to locations it simple business sense to pick London and the Midlands. I’d love an event in the North West, but I also realise you want to stage events in areas of large populations so as to attract as many paying punters as possible.

Kind of surprised how many people are thinking 2 events a year will increase the amount of top guests that attend.

Once again, it will not increase the amount of top guests attending. It will, however, lower SMs risk profile, because they will be focusing on the shows that actually make money.