important message from Showmasters

showmasters

I can see why they have more shows though as the extra dates can make it easier to book more guests.
Exactly, the wider range of dates across the year means that there is a greater chance of guests being available for at least one of them. That has to be a good thing.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This announcement really doesnt suprise me, my boyfriend and I have been saying how bad the guest list was for ages and it just didnt seem to be getting any better. I think it really is the result of too many cons in the year. Really looking forward to Milton Keynes now though, pleased with the Gates McFadden announcement and i hope the guest list gets better and better!

• Moderators

This announcement really doesnt suprise me, my boyfriend and I have been saying how bad the guest list was for ages and it just didnt seem to be getting any better. I think it really is the result of too many cons in the year. Really looking forward to Milton Keynes now though, pleased with the Gates McFadden announcement and i hope the guest list gets better and better!

It's always down to personal preference. There were more guests for this one already for me than there were for the complete lineup at the last EMS.

• Moderators

It's always going to be tricky. There's never a 'wow' guest that appeals to every single attendee.

There were a couple of 'wow' ones for me last time that other people had never even heard of! So obviously everyone's going to enjoy different guests.

I guess there are certain guests that are big enough names in their field to transcend fanbases and appeal not only on a geeky (sorry, struggling for another word!) level but as a 'big' name all over the world. We are sometimes lucky enough to have those, but they'll always be the most difficult ones.

I agree its deffinately down to personal preference but there is deffinately mass excitement when someone like William Shatner or Scott Bakula attend, they are the type of people i would consider to be "star guests" and its usually shown by how busy they are. To me at the last show no one was that stand out massively busy guest.

It's the law of diminishing returns isn't it - the more you do the more guests you will have already seen. I mean personally for me Gates at Collectomania isn't a huge draw - she was at the first LFCC I did 3 or 4 years ago, yet there were plenty who are wowing over her. Fair Dos!

The CML/EMS did have Dennis and Ahmed which was pretty big for Star Wars without being unrealistic. But yes, even then getting their autographs wasn't painful. In and out quicker than I thought.

Edited by TerraHawk

I agree its deffinately down to personal preference but there is deffinately mass excitement when someone like William Shatner or Scott Bakula attend, they are the type of people i would consider to be "star guests" and its usually shown by how busy they are. To me at the last show no one was that stand out massively busy guest.

sometimes they're the best shows

Alan Kennedy was probably not a WOW guest to many but he would have made this show worth going to alone for me (but maybe that says more about me than anything lol)

• Moderators

It's the law of diminishing returns isn't it - the more you do the more guests you will have already seen. I mean personally for me Gates at Collectomania isn't a huge draw - she was at the first LFCC I did 3 or 4 years ago, yet there were plenty who are wowing over her. Fair Dos!

The CML/EMS did have Dennis and Ahmed which was pretty big for Star Wars without being unrealistic. But yes, even then getting their autographs wasn't painful. In and out quicker than I thought.

I do think Ahmed would've done far more at, say, LFCC last year or something similar. EMS wasn't hugely busy, and it was a mixture of the weather and total guest list. Sometimes people just won't travel.

You are right though - there'll always be new attendees coming along and being wowed by guests that others may have met years ago! It's only the rarest and first time ones that really get EVERYONE excited, and they're always going to be difficult to get on a regular basis.

The guest list was one of the best ones I've seen for ages. Alas no more.

all good points, quality over quantity
Remember that the next time you consider posting a request for Eliza Dusku :D

If at all possible, it would be great if you could re-schedule Sean Maher (preferably for Hallowhedon 3) and Nicole de Boer, as they were the two I most wanted to meet.
Sean would be great at HW3. Likewise for Nicole at Warp 10. They would both be popular for LFCC, CM17 and CM:G

Personally those two and Jennifer Lien are the ones that I am hoping the most are able to be rescheduled.

I think rescheduling them to ME cons is unfair, its less likely the majority can make the ME cons, I know i cant make warp or HW at the moment, where as its easier to book of the CM style events and usually more worth while financially overall. for example is walter got announced for warp after I was due to meet him at a cm event thats now pulled id be very upset. thankfully jason seems to be concentrating on cm17 and LFCC for these guests, fingers crossed.

Respectfully, I disagree. If ME want cons like Hallowhedon and Warp 10 to be a success, then thats where they should be booking guests like Sean, Nicole and Walter to. For example, no offence to Diana Muldaur and Eddie Paskey, but tickets sales for Warp 10 would have been much higher if they'd had Walter Koenig and Nicole de Boer. And, based on what was said when they postponed Warp 10, I think they know that.

• Moderators

There has to be a balance really.

Not everyone can go to signing events AND conventions. ME never made cons to take out those particular TV shows from the signing event schedules. They still aim to have them at both.

Scheduling is the most important thing. It's not like there's many guests who will be like "actually I'm not doing anything for the entire year, so pick whatever you want!" .. if only :D

If it's a huge guest, and you can choose between a con or a signing event, do you want them to sell out your con or be able to see more people at a signing event?

What if it's someone who is famous for appearing in various things? Do you choose to have them at a very specific con or at a signing event where they can meet many different fanbases?

There's so many things to take into account, and there's no 'right' place to have a guest attend really. For many of them, we're lucky to just get them at any event at all.

Respectfully, I disagree. If ME want cons like Hallowhedon and Warp 10 to be a success, then thats where they should be booking guests like Sean, Nicole and Walter to. For example, no offence to Diana Muldaur and Eddie Paskey, but tickets sales for Warp 10 would have been much higher if they'd had Walter Koenig and Nicole de Boer. And, based on what was said when they postponed Warp 10, I think they know that.
Again it comes down to personal preference. If my decision to buy a Warp 10 ticket was based purely on the guest line-up then Diana would be more tempting than Walter. I have met Walter previously but never Diana. Jennifer is a must see for me. Actually so is Nicole but again I have met her previously.

Edit: Sigh. I'm suffering from double post syndrome again.

Edited by 1of2

There has to be a balance really.

Not everyone can go to signing events AND conventions. ME never made cons to take out those particular TV shows from the signing event schedules. They still aim to have them at both.

Scheduling is the most important thing. It's not like there's many guests who will be like "actually I'm not doing anything for the entire year, so pick whatever you want!" .. if only :D

If it's a huge guest, and you can choose between a con or a signing event, do you want them to sell out your con or be able to see more people at a signing event?

What if it's someone who is famous for appearing in various things? Do you choose to have them at a very specific con or at a signing event where they can meet many different fanbases?

There's so many things to take into account, and there's no 'right' place to have a guest attend really. For many of them, we're lucky to just get them at any event at all.

I don't disagree with any of that. If a guest isn't available on the date of the appropriate con, then of course book them for whatever event they can make it over for, absolutely.

But if they can do both? Then the con must take priority.

• Showmasters Admin

we are planning to re book all the guests into the next two signing shows

collectormaina MK in May

and LFCC in July

that way you all get to see than all soon

we are talking to all the guests as we speak and will put up the new dates for them as they agree to them

thanks you for all the understanding on this

we will be keeping you all up to date as things go on

yours

jason :D

I am for once not going to moan about guests etc.

It is personal prefrence, i for one thought that the last con had massive guests in Micheal Behein, Carey Elwes and Carl Weathers but maybe that was just me.

All i will say is its sad to see an announement like this but i understand the reasons.

I will continue to support Showmasters as much as i can becuase i have had so much joy and fun from the events i have attended.

Cant wait till the next event and i selfishly hope that Glasgow is not effected and contiues to grow as an event in these tough times.

Chin up all at Showmasters and thanks as always for your hard work and dedecation.

Craig :D

we are planning to re book all the guests into the next two signing shows

collectormaina MK in May

and LFCC in July

that way you all get to see than all soon

we are talking to all the guests as we speak and will put up the new dates for them as they agree to them

thanks you for all the understanding on this

we will be keeping you all up to date as things go on

yours

jason :D

WOW that's great news indeed!!! REally hope to meet Lisa Marie, Walter Koenig and David Warner :P

Sad.. I really was looking forward to this event, it has been a while since my last visit on a showmasters event.

But, you know? Those family issues are way more important then any venue. So good for you guys that you have chosen for family first. I hope all is well very soon.

Hope to see you on an event soon.

all the best

Its sad I know but we have the best intreset in showmasters to put on a great show and I cant wait for May even if its outside, I have always loved these shows and always will oh yeah please make sure Lisa Marie, David Warner, Dave Prowse and Jeremy Bulloch attend one of these shows please!!!! But otherwise keep up the good work gals and lads.

Edited by MICHEALS KILLER

Do all you people moaning about losing money and stuff not think the organisers are upset and embarrassed enough without you lot moaning about money and everything....

They do everything they can to put on amazing shows for all of us and if they could have i'm sure they would have put it on... But it's not to be!

They given 6 weeks notice to be fair.

Maybe think about ordering transport / hotels nearer the event next time rather then moaning on here about everything.

Rant over. :D

• Moderators

Let's try not to moan about people moaning etc. Everyone has a right to be disappointed in their own way.

People book non-refundable stuff in advance to get the cheapest deals possible. I did the same with a hotel, as it was a £50 saving a night to book it in advance. It's a lot of money to save to some people - myself included. I don't do it often but was going to help a lot.

Yes, it's a risk we take, and an unfortunate one when this happens, but it is understandable when people are a little frustrated. Jason understands this, and everyone is allowed to vent a little. So let's not cause any arguments between attendees please.

Do all you people moaning about losing money and stuff not think the organisers are upset and embarrassed enough without you lot moaning about money and everything....

They do everything they can to put on amazing shows for all of us and if they could have i'm sure they would have put it on... But it's not to be!

They given 6 weeks notice to be fair.

Maybe think about ordering transport / hotels nearer the event next time rather then moaning on here about everything.

Rant over. :D

I'm sorry, moaning about money? If you've spent €160 approx (flights, train & hotel) on attending an event that has been cancelled with 5 weeks notice are you telling me you wouldn't moan? You must be made of money pal.