important message from Showmasters

showmasters

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I just got informed about the cancellation. How unfortunate and quite disappointing personally for me that my first venture down to London to attend this has met with such failure. Another time as they say and I shall experience this entertainment!!

I will none the less enjoy my brief visit to London and instead visit some of the attractions on offer there. One of them being looking for Her Majesty, the Queen, looking out her window, when I visit her place of residence Buckingham Palace!!! :stretcher:

Also can I ask any members local to London about any shops that they know of that sell vintage action figures and in particular star Wars ones that I may be able to peruse while visiting?

Any and all suggestions about places and locations greatly appreciated in this time of the saddened news of this signing event not now going ahead.

Hopefully I shall see some of you in Glasgow later in the year.

In the mean time I prefer to make the most of my time in London on a positive note.

Best wishes and every success!

Just came home and found out about this.........i'm not mad, just dissappointed...

280 euro Hotel, 80 euro flight and 30 euro bus, all non-refundable!

Nice!!

Basically, i spent about 400 euro on a trip i would've never booked if it wasn't for the EMS!

I do understand that this is my own fault, but since i'm flying in from abroad i HAVE to book in advance, and non-refundable booking saves me about 200 euro.

Big mistake i made, cause NEVER did i think about this event being cancelled...guest cancellations, sure, but not the entire event.

I'm sure you're very upset about this, and this must've been a very difficult decision for Showmasters, but i DO think that cancelling a hyped-up event 5 weeks in advance is a no-no for a professional company that takes itself seriously.

I'm the one to blame here, and i will visit London in march, since i don't want to throw that money away, but i will not attend another Showmasters event.

Luckily i know some people who will, so i can ask them to get me autographs if necessary.

• Moderators

All entry tickets are going to be refunded automatically. Less complicated that way.

David can I just say - I love your signature!! Team Linus till the end and would DIE if I met the beautiful Mr Emerson! God *siiiighs* maybe one day....

Your signature has made me smile :thumbup:

:thumbup: we can die together .. I don't hold much hope but who knows :thumbup:

Thank you very much for your in depth explanation of why this event is cancelled. Sorry to hear about the problems you have encountered and had to deal with. Not being selfish but I must say I am rather glad about this as I could not have afforded it and was a bit gutted as some of the guests I was really looking forward to, but seeing I CAN attend CM17 for sure of course this is excellent news for me in that aspect.

Personally, I too agree with what a few people have said already, there are way too many events for people to afford.

I was gutted when Muggle Mayhem got cancelled and everything was shifted to London. Most events are held in London now and it just is not possible for everyone to afford travel on top of the costs of tickets, autographs, photoshoots etc these days. Personally again, I do think that running 2 or 3 events per year would sufflice. Have maybe one fantasy/scifi one, one TV Series/Music one or something like that for example, with more guests for each of them and more people will attend again making it better for both parties.

Anyway no need for lengthy discussions and thoughts, again thank you for letting us know well in advance and with detailed reasons and trying to move the guests to CM17 and LFCC.

See you there :0)

How about Sean Maher to go with Mark Sheppard for LFCC ;) We can have a Firefly talk :D

:YAHOO: i agree totally

it seems i am in the minority here as I am very selfishly pleased cos i couldn't afford to go in march so am hoping the peeps i wanted to meet will be at LFCC in july if not ho hum there will be other times, and also for me attending isn't just about getting my photo's and autographs i've made new friends and to me thats just as awesome.

keep up the great work showmasters :D

sadly you will never be able to keep everyone happy.

yes it is a great shame that the show has been cancelled but hey look on the bright side at least we have other shows to go to later in the yr so its not all doom and gloom. I can understand the frustration of the people who have forked out for air fares hotels etc etc but in the situation surely its better to NOT run the event rather than run it with a poor lineup of guests? I have said before to many people it would be better to have two shows a year with a bloody fantastic high quality lineup of guests rather than have several shows to go to. OK i understand that just because there are lots of shows in the year we dont HAVE to go to them all but i would much prefer to go to ONE Autographica and ONE LFCC a year with a high quality guest list. This i think would encourage more people to save up and have a fantastic time at both shows a year rather than fork out for one show a month (or whatever) A lot of people i talk to re the shows and guest i have met over the years seem really interested and sincere and would love to come. Would it make more sense to approach this with "less is more"? personally i think it would. :YAHOO: PS looking forward to LFCC AND Autographica later in the year and i got a lot more time to save up for them now as well. :D

• Moderators

Of course, the "less is more" approach works on the guarantee that you can get a 'fantastic' guest list for those events. It unfortunately doesn't work that way.

There's no more guarantee of a bigger and better guest list by halving the amount of events. There's still going to be the same date and availability issues, costs etc, as there would be if you had another event to run too. So, while it's nice to think of things being that easy, they never will be.

All rather unfortunate and I feel for the ones who lose their expenses because of this cancellation.

I have been a supporter of this type of entertainment for a long time and when there is a tightening of the belts economically, then emotions will feel that much rawer.

But look on the bright side at least there's much more oppportunity on offer in the coming months.

We have to be reflective on this occasion and look to better times ahead.

Alan.

Very disappointing that this should happen.

Like many others I have made payments in advance to save money.

I am asking for all my photo shoot monies back as I don't want to get caught again.

Edited by Peter

yes it is a great shame that the show has been cancelled but hey look on the bright side at least we have other shows to go to later in the yr so its not all doom and gloom. I can understand the frustration of the people who have forked out for air fares hotels etc etc but in the situation surely its better to NOT run the event rather than run it with a poor lineup of guests?

How can you say that?

It was a very good line up of guests in my opinioin and I was looking forward to it. I'm lucky that I have been able to cancel hotel rooms etc but think of the ones who can't.

I don't think its a matter of too many events this year, my first event to attend now is MK in May - its a shame.

It was a very good line up of guests in my opinioin and I was looking forward to it.

Well to be fair we do know some of those guests wouldn't have been able to make the date.

Typically I'd just done my pricing for the event the day before the cancellation, I won't give figures but I will say it was half what I'd normally spend at a two day event. Still enough to make it worthwhile my attending, and I would have (and had already planned) several theatres to try too. Now after Feb I probably won't be back in London until July!

All the SW guests were on that EMS list, but I'm not sure I'll go back to Milton Keynes for them. Depends who else goes.

But in the space of 2 months (Jason's last big message was the start of December) we've gone from no question of me not attending the March EMS and LFCC, to the first being axed, and me even questioning if I want to do the LFCC again.

The cancellation has dented my enthusiasm for events.

• Moderators

The cancellation has dented my enthusiasm for events.

It's a shame if that's true. I'm as disappointed as everyone else about this, but SM have already added some fantastic ones for LFCC and I'm very enthusiastic about the future now.

Well I and sure others can't really afford the time and money to travel outside of london so CMK is out. It doesn't go well when we're asked to get behind events etc and they are cancelled and let's face it it has happened quite often lately.

Now before the haters jump on me I'm not trying to cause embarasment but just think SHowmasters should see what most people say by having less events gvng them more time to get the guests and us all time to save. Thus avoidng cancellations etc.

Showmasters poped my convention cherry so are always an event i look forward to, its just annoying/frustrating when these situations arise. Hopefully it's something they can learn from and avoid happening again so we can get back to attendng great shows with great guests.

^_^

• Moderators

I just can't get my head around how having less events guarantees that something won't go wrong.

Guests still have work schedules etc no matter how many events SM put on, so why is it any more risky to have more events? It's not, and it doesn't change the risks.

I just can't get my head around how having less events guarantees that something won't go wrong.

Guests still have work schedules etc no matter how many events SM put on, so why is it any more risky to have more events? It's not, and it doesn't change the risks.

Exactly David...

ANY event can be cancelled at ANY time. How many times has Showmasters had to cancel a big event like this before?

Pretty good going I think :)

Showmasters will always have my full support. They always try their best and that's all that matters :) x

Edited by showmasters

Regarding this, back when there was just the 2 MK and LFCC events...
A query. Was this years 5 planned SM events really such a big increase over 3?

I'm not including the ME events. For me they are a completely different tv/film specific convention and I don't think can be included with the more general signing events in this discussion about number of events.

Thanks to both mods who replied, It does help explain things actually.

It must be difficult at the moment for both SM and the mods dealing with all the comments coming.

When mods have previously posted longer explanations there were complaints that we were "talking down people", so we are trying to find a balance there. Sorry if this trying to find a balance sounded like just repeating pre-recorded announcements to you. I saw nothing wrong with what David and 1of2 said, but of course it will look different for me because I agree with them.

I wasn't around much over the weekend due to being sick, and like I said I didn't post on here because I did not want someone to get the impression that you obviously had. Too many mods in one place easily upset users too. ^_^

I understand each and every one who's disappointed.

My boyfriend surprised me with a trip for the EMS weekend on Christmas, and that's the only reason why I am not in the same boat as you guys. But I've been there before, and it wasn't pretty. But time will (hopefully) heal most wounds.

Just to add. I have not lost money as the result of any guest/event cancellation. Purely because I choose to drive (I enjoy it) to events and rarely stay overnight. Is it more expensive this way....quite possibly. I have never bothered to work it out.

If/when I ever make it to CM:Glasgow I will be staying overnight as it's a long drive from Bristol

Edit:

Thanks to both mods who replied
I need to type faster ^_^ Edited by 1of2

yes I think you are right, that is what some seem to be saying there.

But the ME shows are completely different, so in that respect, I think you have to think of SM and ME as two different companies. Thats how I see it. I absolutely love the big signing shows, but the weekend cons are fab too.

Edited by Rhianydd