I miss the BIG Friday Announcement :(

I could be wrong (memory is rusty these days) but I remember a time when there used to be a topic put up at the start of the week saying that there would be a big guest announcement made on the Friday @ 6pm (or 7pm etc) and this used to happen at least every week or 2 leading up to an event. ...... I miss these and especially the dropping of cryptic clues that have people scouring imdb to work out who it might be.

I know there have been problems with this in the past around what constitutes a BIG announcement (I admit posting angrily myself after allowing my expectations to run amok) and also the issue around the topics giving a particular time for the announcement and then that time coming and going without a name coming to light .....

..... but still, I'm sure these things could be resolved .... for example: if SM put up the topic saying there will be an announcement at the end of the week when they already have the signed contract in hand. We're not going to know the difference if they have the contract a month or week before they give us the info.....and I don't think many people will care really.

As for managing peoples expectations, giving vague information about the guest might help ie: male/female, lead role vs supporting role, number of movies/tv shows etc, genre etc

Anywho.....just a suggestion, I'm sure you guys have considered some of this before but I'm bored at work and miss some of the anticipation of a guest announcement on a Friday evening.........

• Moderators

To be honest, considering the amount of hassle they get, I don't particularly see it as worth doing.

I quite like the surprises we get when there's just a random guest announcement that pops out of nowhere. On the other hand, like you, I do like the build up and guessing etc.

I don't miss the arguing or the moaning or anything like that though. People automatically assume that because it has been announced that there'll be a guest, it has to be a BIG one and that it's being HYPED. And then when it's someone fairly "normal" they get their knickers in a twist.

Sadly there's always some people who can't see it as just a little fun, and it does ruin it.

To be honest, considering the amount of hassle they get, I don't particularly see it as worth doing.

I can see why they wouldn't want to do it especially when they people like me moaning about who is big and who isn't.

I don't miss the arguing or the moaning or anything like that though. People automatically assume that because it has been announced that there'll be a guest, it has to be a BIG one and that it's being HYPED. And then when it's someone fairly "normal" they get their knickers in a twist.

As I said maybe this could be resolved by giving certain vague clues about the guest so that people can still get excited but not crazy excited :clap:

So announcing a guest like Dirk Benedict could go something like:

Coming Friday Big Guest for fans of 80's action TV. This guy is awesome etc etc

That way you don't have Harry Potter/ Twilight/Star Wars/LoTR fans getting there hopes up.

after the issues from the amazing anouncement that didnt happen and the charley brewely announcement I agree with David, better as a surprise, that way it cant be over hyped by SM or us, and like david said its probably become to much of a hassle for SM now with some of the forums members expectations and comments going wild lol

and surprise announcements when u log on and see a guest are the best anyway imo ;-)

though the LFCC horror guests in december were pre announced wernt they? so SM are still doing it.

Too much hassle and can backfire as you get the expectation and hope that its........ only then to be disappointed that the person is:-

a) appears in something you have no interest in, ie Twilight in my case

b ) someone not heard of. Admittedly unlikely if the person is a BIG announcement but am sure not improbable

c) Been here X number of times before so shouldn't really be considered BIG announcement

Of course Showmasters could always open a topic stating 'big guest announcement THIS Friday' then lock it in an attempt to avoid over the top reactions either way and any b***hnyness between users. Then when the guest is announced its people post positive comments (in theory)

Edited by madmilburn

• 3 weeks later...

well i am working on some really cool guest now so if i book one or two of them i do plan to haqve a big friday announcment again :lol:

but do not tall anyone ok :P

jason :D

:unsure: I like these types of announcements. Noted!

And sshhhhh.....

Edited by 1of2