things we feel you should know

showmasters

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some sort of update anytime now would be the decent thing to do, like I said even if its just to say hold on a little longer, we're still in talks. Considering the money we pay for these events, this situation is starting to approach ridiculous.

In all fairness, there has been nothing to suggest that there are any other guests in the pipeline for this event other than the "big name" currently being pursued. If there are smaller guests secured why have they not been announced? Only positive could have come from having at least one or two guests announced if secured, so if their reasoning for postponing is needing a "big name" in order for it to work, having smaller guests confirmed wouldn't change or affect that decision.

Edited by gemma85

Some sort of update anytime now would be the decent thing to do, like I said even if its just to say hold on a little longer, we're still in talks. Considering the money we pay for these events, this situation is starting to approach ridiculous.

In all fairness, there has been nothing to suggest that there are any other guests in the pipeline for this event other than the "big name" currently being pursued. If there are smaller guests secured why have they not been announced? Only positive could have come from having at least one or two guests announced if secured, so if their reasoning for postponing is needing a "big name" in order for it to work, having smaller guests confirmed wouldn't change or affect that decision.

I personally reckon...they have a couple / few very minor guests - but ones they don't think could sell them the 400 + tickets they need to make this event go ahead...

and the only way it will is if they also book on this "headliner" who will sell them enough tickets (over the 400+ mark) to enable the event to still go ahead.

That would be my thinking anyways...which would explain it...cause even if they only have the headliner, there is no point going ahead with the event with ONE guest - big or not...so they would have cancelled way before now.

I personally reckon...they have a couple / few very minor guests - but ones they don't think could sell them the 400 + tickets they need to make this event go ahead...

and the only way it will is if they also book on this "headliner" who will sell them enough tickets (over the 400+ mark) to enable the event to still go ahead.

That would be my thinking anyways...which would explain it...cause even if they only have the headliner, there is no point going ahead with the event with ONE guest - big or not...so they would have cancelled way before now.

To play devil's advocate :D surely that rule of thumb would apply to any con. Of course you would need a big guest in order to have decent ticket sales or enough to make it work but smaller guests have been announced for cons that have gone ahead without a "big name". Its stands to reason that with any con, a big name is the ultimate goal so dont really see how that is any more of an issue this time around than with any other event.

Whether they are relying on a big name or not, if they do indeed have a smaller guest/s secured, the smart thing to do would be to announce them. No, they might not have boosted sales by hundereds & hundreds of pounds but would have certainly seen an improvement on what they currently have. And aren't we always told they can't secure bigger guests without ticket sales?! You can't expect people to part with money without any incentive.

Final devils advocate point, if the success of this convention solely rests upon the securing of a big name, then it surely should have been made clear from the offset not 8 weeks before the con itself.

These are simply thoughts NOT criticisms as we love attending SM/ME events and am sooooo excited about this con whenever it may happen :)

Edited by 1of2

:D You mean you were being cheeky!? :WINCE::D

I do not know if its my age...but some peeps do not seem to understand a bit of japeing when it happens.

On to announcements.....Although the biggys can sell a con they are not always the most entertaining. I champion the little guys....er and girls.

Edited by elullatook

To play devil's advocate :thumbup: surely that rule of thumb would apply to any con. Of course you would need a big guest in order to have decent ticket sales or enough to make it work but smaller guests have been announced for cons that have gone ahead without a "big name". Its stands to reason that with any con, a big name is the ultimate goal so dont really see how that is any more of an issue this time around than with any other event.

Whether they are relying on a big name or not, if they do indeed have a smaller guest/s secured, the smart thing to do would be to announce them. No, they might not have boosted sales by hundereds & hundreds of pounds but would have certainly seen an improvement on what they currently have. And aren't we always told they can't secure bigger guests without ticket sales?! You can't expect people to part with money without any incentive.

Final devils advocate point, if the success of this convention solely rests upon the securing of a big name, then it surely should have been made clear from the offset not 8 weeks before the con itself.

These are simply thoughts NOT criticisms as we love attending SM/ME events and am sooooo excited about this con whenever it may happen :)

Oh don't get me wrong i completely agree with everything you just said....i just meant that could be whats going on....but if i am right and that is whats going on then i agree with you that they should be announcing smaller guests if they have them.

What i said was just a "could be whats going on" situation. i also agree that the bigger guests dont always make the con the most entertaining, its usually the smaller guests.

I just thought that maybe if they had really minor guests already contracted then they don't want to go ahead and announce them, then not sell enough tickets and then if they cant get the big guest they have "in the works" and have to postpone or cancel...that their reasoning MIGHT be to avoid disappointing everyone that they wont be meeting the already announced smaller guests.

Just a theory lol not saying its right or i would agree with it like! just a general wondering as to whether or not thats what might be going on lol....plus it might be a bit of a push if they pull through a headliner and dont have any other guests already signed up - then they have what...like 7 weeks to complete a guest list, if people will sign up to the con this late on. Thats the only reasons that i think they might already have one or two contracted and not announced them yet - plus the way jason worded this thread sounded that way to me, but thats just me assuming lol

Edited by 1of2

I'm hoping this means SM/ME are close to signing a deal and just want to give it a fraction more time. No news is good news, right? OK, it would be good to know one way or the other (especially for those whose signup depends on it) and they're going to have to bite the bullet soon, but in the meantime... positive thoughts, yes, yes.

The way I see it is that they said they have "1 big guest in play"

And that if negotiations fell through they were looking at postponing

Well we haven't heard anything so we can assume that negotiations are still ongoing which is a good sign. If they had of fallen through already we would of been told of the postponement.

Just wait and see :D

well my decision was made today, i've used my ticket money for this to book the hotel for lfcc as at the moment at least there are guests i want to meet at that.

if they did get a good guest now id try and get but it will cost me 121 return on the train now. so id have to try and blag a lift.

To play devil's advocate :YAHOO: surely that rule of thumb would apply to any con. Of course you would need a big guest in order to have decent ticket sales or enough to make it work but smaller guests have been announced for cons that have gone ahead without a "big name". Its stands to reason that with any con, a big name is the ultimate goal so dont really see how that is any more of an issue this time around than with any other event.

Oh don't get me wrong i completely agree with everything you just said....i just meant that could be whats going on....but if i am right and that is whats going on then i agree with you that they should be announcing smaller guests if they have them.

What i said was just a "could be whats going on" situation. i also agree that the bigger guests dont always make the con the most entertaining, its usually the smaller guests.

I just thought that maybe if they had really minor guests already contracted then they don't want to go ahead and announce them, then not sell enough tickets and then if they cant get the big guest they have "in the works" and have to postpone or cancel...that their reasoning MIGHT be to avoid disappointing everyone that they wont be meeting the already announced smaller guests.

Just a theory lol not saying its right or i would agree with it like! just a general wondering as to whether or not thats what might be going on lol....plus it might be a bit of a push if they pull through a headliner and dont have any other guests already signed up - then they have what...like 7 weeks to complete a guest list, if people will sign up to the con this late on. Thats the only reasons that i think they might already have one or two contracted and not announced them yet - plus the way jason worded this thread sounded that way to me, but thats just me assuming lol

:YAHOO: Absolutely agree with your points and hope you didnt take the post as a negative response to you personally in anyway, that was never our intention :YAHOO: .

I guess all we can do is wait now, just hope its not too long before we know something because our window of opportunity is closing a little more everyday :YAHOO:

Well I am guessing it's going to be a cancellation or postponement. With 6 weeks to go now before the advertised dates I can not see enough tickets being sold to make the event viable. So my positive thinking is that is is postponed to a date I can still make and they get the big guest they've been trying to get. :YAHOO:

If they get the right guests and people want meet them then they'll find the money, recession or not.

However that being said I would have thought that it's unlikely to be rescheduled any time soon as I imagine that would be very difficult to arrange.

If they get the right guests and people want meet them then they'll find the money, recession or not.

However that being said I would have thought that it's unlikely to be rescheduled any time soon as I imagine that would be very difficult to arrange.

Well its looking doomed now, I dont think there are any 'smaller' guests for this con booked as if there was why not let people who they are? why would you keep guests back if you need to sell tickets?

Anyway hope it goes ahead and guests are announced for those of you going but it does not look good, fingers crossed for you all anyway.

If they had announced it was just a Supernatural convention I would have bought a ticket ages ago but as it is I have been waiting.

The guests I assume they are calling big are Ian Somerhalder, Nina Dobrev, Paul Wesley, Jensen (unlikely because of other bookings) Jared or Misha.