things we feel you should know

showmasters

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They expect us to pay money to fund there events when they cant even reply by the time they said its very unfair on people. Im sure they will all be sorry blah blah well we dont want that we want answers its unfair on people waiting and people that have booked... just stop making millions of diff events what ever happened to bringing them to like comic con and collectormania..

Hi sorry I am feeling a bit dippy but what did you mean by " just stop making millions of diff events what ever happened to bringing them to like comic con and collectormania.."

cheers

so many cons, like some for vampire diaries, then true blood, and all the others people watch a lot of shows and cantr afford to book for each one thats another reason there not seeling, why cant they bring the guests to comic con and collectormania...

They expect us to pay money to fund there events when they cant even reply by the time they said its very unfair on people. Im sure they will all be sorry blah blah well we dont want that we want answers its unfair on people waiting and people that have booked... just stop making millions of diff events what ever happened to bringing them to like comic con and collectormania..

Hi sorry I am feeling a bit dippy but what did you mean by " just stop making millions of diff events what ever happened to bringing them to like comic con and collectormania.."

cheers

so many cons, like some for vampire diaries, then true blood, and all the others people watch a lot of shows and cantr afford to book for each one thats another reason there not seeling, why cant they bring the guests to comic con and collectormania...

but there's a HUGE difference between conventions (ETs, Bitten, Roadhouse etc) and the signing events (Collectormania LFCC etc). If I had to chose it would be weekend cons all the way for me. Signing events are so impersonal, and once the day is over then that's pretty much it. Weekend cons are awesome because there's parties and guest encounters and auctions.

Yes but some people cant afford to keep going to all these weekend events id love to meet people off vdaires, but ive met almost everyone i want from spn and i dont watch bh, so if there going to do cons why base it on 3 just beause there about vampires etc doesnt mean everyone watches all 3.

• Moderators

That's correct - it doesn't mean all people watch all three, however they wanted to try and do something to make the con work, especially after lower ticket sales for the SPN and BH ones before.

I don't agree they should get rid of conventions. Cons don't mean that you won't ever get guests from these shows at the signing events, so why not? Plenty of the Twilight ones have turned up at signing events after all, and we still get Stargate ones etc.

What is annoying me slightly is that guests are being announced for another events but not this one. This is not me having a go, as I understand that you can't put everything to a timescale and they don't follow a pattern for all conventions, but with the announcements we know people are online, so why can't we have a short explanation of what the delay is. If it's good news, a lot of people will be happy, if it's not good news, then reading the comments on here it will still be for some good news!

For me, this event was dead since the last SM announcement.

I liked the idea of grouping 3 shows but since they did not announce any guest from any of the three shows, they killed the idea from the beginning.

However, I'd like to keep some conventions. In general, I like better those events than signing events. My opinion is that the global number of events should be reduced but keeping some balance between signing and cons.

For me, this event was dead since the last SM announcement.

I liked the idea of grouping 3 shows but since they did not announce any guest from any of the three shows, they killed the idea from the beginning.

However, I'd like to keep some conventions. In general, I like better those events than signing events. My opinion is that the global number of events should be reduced but keeping some balance between signing and cons.

Don't start with that mate!

I don't know why the two can't just be combined really. Hire an extra room at a signing event for half a day, have a smaller convention, with all the benifits of that format. Then unleach those guests to join the signing for the more mainstream audience, and the fans could go get everyone else too. So then you have up to 200 people joining the signings later in the day.

So just for example - if you wanted Tony Head for Dr Who you could get him at the signing, rather than attend a Buffy con just for him. You don't miss out, but the Buffy fans get him first.

• Moderators

Surely that would just take away from the number of people that would go to the 'convention' part because they can just go and get his autograph at the other one?

I'm not saying there wouldn't be people that really want the convention experience, but there's surely those who attend cons mainly to meet the guests etc too.

Surely that would just take away from the number of people that would go to the 'convention' part because they can just go and get his autograph at the other one?

If they wanted several Buffy or Weadon autos and/or photos, or more time with the guests, the convention would stil be the better value for money for them.

Of course if they only wanted the auto, they could just preorder that from a con - still cheaper than attending the event in person.

• Moderators

If you're only going to have the 'convention' part of it for half a day, what's the point? All that's really happening there is that instead of paying for autos/photos individually, you're getting a 'package deal' of several guests together. Which is part of the 'convention experience' but far from all of it...

If you're only going to have the 'convention' part of it for half a day, what's the point? All that's really happening there is that instead of paying for autos/photos individually, you're getting a 'package deal' of several guests together. Which is part of the 'convention experience' but far from all of it...

Have your parties, wecomes etc on the Friday, the 'relaxed' signings and talks on the Sat morning, then make it a free for all for everyone else for the rest of the weekend. it's not robbing anyone who wants it of the experience, yet it lets a signing subsidise a con.

• Moderators

I'm just not sure how 'relaxed' it would be trying to get, lets say 4 guests, 200 attendees. Trying to get all of those through autos, photos and have time for talks too. In, well, 3 hours? 9-12. Couple of panel talks, and that's 2 of those hours gone. Leaving an hour for each of the guests to get through 200 autos and probably at least 100 photoshoots.

Only way to fit it all in would be to run autos/photos concurrently with talks. Which ME try not to do, so that everyone has the chance to see it all...

I'm not saying there wouldn't be people that really want the convention experience, but there's surely those who attend cons mainly to meet the guests etc too.

Just not this con as no guests have ever been announced!!

That's correct - it doesn't mean all people watch all three, however they wanted to try and do something to make the con work, especially after lower ticket sales for the SPN and BH ones before.

I don't agree they should get rid of conventions. Cons don't mean that you won't ever get guests from these shows at the signing events, so why not? Plenty of the Twilight ones have turned up at signing events after all, and we still get Stargate ones etc.

I never said get rid of conventions but spread them out, theres so many its crippling, another event already does spn/vd why compete? sm do lots for different shows already.. i get upset cus i cant afford to come a meet people off shows i like becuase theres just so many.

I never said get rid of conventions but spread them out, theres so many its crippling, another event already does spn/vd why compete? sm do lots for different shows already.. i get upset cus i cant afford to come a meet people off shows i like becuase theres just so many.

Which event also does Vampire Diaries? I haven't seen the two other shows, so I would only go for VP guests.

I'm just not sure how 'relaxed' it would be trying to get, lets say 4 guests, 200 attendees. Trying to get all of those through autos, photos and have time for talks too. In, well, 3 hours? 9-12. Couple of panel talks, and that's 2 of those hours gone. Leaving an hour for each of the guests to get through 200 autos and probably at least 100 photoshoots.

Only way to fit it all in would be to run autos/photos concurrently with talks. Which ME try not to do, so that everyone has the chance to see it all...

Well hence the reason for my 'relaxed'. The only ME convention I have as reference (I'm discluding last year's Bad Wolf as I'm sure that low attendance isn't typical) was the Hub at the Hilton, that Barrowman and Masters pulled out of. It was still packed, despite loosing them. Yet I had nothing to do for half the weekend, it's unlikely I'd attend another event like that, though really its location is key to my needs.

If on the otherhand I knew there were six dozen stalls, 2 dozen more guests round the corner, I could go and spend that spare time there.

Perhaps it would be too much for half a day, make it nearly a full day then. You could even let your con-goers into the main signing hall first, to get Virtual Tickets, for the other big guests - so they could then get them when time allows. Even if all 200 got VTs it wouldn't delay the signers too much, the congoers would be tied up for most of the time anyway!

Well hence the reason for my 'relaxed'. The only ME convention I have as reference (I'm discluding last year's Bad Wolf as I'm sure that low attendance isn't typical) was the Hub at the Hilton, that Barrowman and Masters pulled out of. It was still packed, despite loosing them. Yet I had nothing to do for half the weekend, it's unlikely I'd attend another event like that, though really its location is key to my needs.
Nothing to do for half the weekend, blimey. I have never found myself with nothing to do (scheduled breaks excluded) apart from one event where a guest cancelled on the day and left a gap in the schedule.

Perhaps it would be too much for half a day, make it nearly a full day then. You could even let your con-goers into the main signing hall first, to get Virtual Tickets, for the other big guests - so they could then get them when time allows. Even if all 200 got VTs it wouldn't delay the signers too much, the congoers would be tied up for most of the time anyway!

Make it nearly a full day...what about the attendees waiting in the 'signing event' for their autographs and photoshoots? When will they get to see the guest?