who do you want to meet from WW2

showmasters

Return visits from Billy Drake and George 'Johnny' Johnson would be good.

Theodore Van Kirk - United States Army Air Force navigator. He is famous as the navigator of the Enola Gay and is also the last surviving member of the Enola Gay crew.

A few years ago the pilot of the Enola Gay. Colonel Paul W. Tibbets, Jr., was going to be a guest at an Autographica, but then he had to cancel due to ill health, and then died in 2007. So I'd like the chance to meet the only crew member left.

And any Battle of Britain pilots always get my vote.

It would be interesting to meet any of the surviving German pilots from the Battle of Britain too.

One of those - Luftwaffe fighter pilot Hans Ekkehard Bob - was interviewed on the BBC doc 'Battle of Britain - The Real Story' last year.

More info on him is at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans-Ekkehard_Bob

and

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tva...real-story-bbc2

Julie Andrews !!!!!!!

john cleese

Donald O'Connor

George Lucas

Christopher Lloyd

You'll have to remind me again about their roles in World War 2 (as per the thread title) - and no, I'm not accepting Julie Andrews' part in The Sound Of Music :D

REALY hope we get some ww2 names soon

for me AUTOGRAPHICA has always been the show to come to because its not all film / t.v stars

i know theres not so many vets around now but there are still some great men / women around

from S.O.E / BATTLE OF BRITAIN (english /german ) / AIRBORN ASSULT / D.DAY vets

etc etc

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dan Snow had the guy who flew the Swordfish that initiated the sinking of the Bismark. It was on the One Show.

How many folks can say (Eric Brown, aside) say they flew a biplane like that, and not even Eric can lay claim to seeing the Hood blow up, and partook in the revenge mission.

Come on Jason.. one for your propeller there, boy! :D

Did you happen to catch his name? I went to a talk by a Swordfish pilot a while back which was really interesting, flying those beasts seemed like a very different experience to other planes of the era.

Dan Snow had the guy who flew the Swordfish that initiated the sinking of the Bismark. It was on the One Show.

How many folks can say (Eric Brown, aside) say they flew a biplane like that, and not even Eric can lay claim to seeing the Hood blow up, and partook in the revenge mission.

Come on Jason.. one for your propeller there, boy! :D

Did you happen to catch his name? I went to a talk by a Swordfish pilot a while back which was really interesting, flying those beasts seemed like a very different experience to other planes of the era.

His name is John Moffat

I think he was due to attend another event I went to but had to cancel, the chap I was thinking of was a different Swordfish pilot but was very interesting all the same.

If memory serves does John Moffatt not have a book out as well?

IIRC its called 'I sank the Bismarck', a title he wasn't too fond of.

• 2 weeks later...

May I add a suggestion for future events, a little late in the day for this one; it would be great to meet any of the ATA, Air Transport Auxilary, personnel, the "Spitfire Girls". Unsung heroines, and heroes, for so long they are finally getting just recognition for their efforts during the war. Joy Lofthouse signed some covers recently which sold out very quickly. I guess they must be rather elderly and possibly a little frail, but it would be so good to be able to meet them.

Might I suggest SM looking to get people who were involved in some of the key battles? There is (as far as I can tell from Wiki) an active 8th army veterans association that would no doubt bring many a tale of battlefields across North Africa & Italy -

http://www.eavm.co.uk/

Time is running out for us mortals to share in the experiences of those who participated in the war. I think this is an area that SM should really focus on for future events.

WHAT A SHAME

a big lack of ww2 guests this show , i know they are getting old but always still a good turn out to sign at air shows etc , i agree it would be great to get some of the A T A girls and maybe some SOE agents / pilots

( they do signings ) please guys before its to late