Viewing the Star Wars saga

Timelord

So my girlfriend has never seen the star wars saga (shocking, I know B) ) and after much insisting she should try it before saying its rubbish, we are going to make a start this weekend. My question is this though: In which order do you think the saga should be viewed? I know a lot of people very fond of the originals will always argue 4-6 then 1-3 as they viewed it. I however strongly disagree, 1-6 is the way it should be viewed as intended! This of course is only my own opinion, but I can only imagine how incredible an experience the saga would be in that order... imagine (spoilers) anakins fall to the darkside without ever seeing him as vader? Some argue the "I am your father" part etc is spoilt and vader is nolonger evil so much as a sad character. But hey, thats exactly what he is, his origins are the same no matter which way you watch it.. anyway, only my opinion :) Im curious to read others views....

4-6,1-3

or

1-6?

as a star wars fan and one who prefers the originals Id say yes it should be 1-6 BUT if your showing it to non fans its more complicated, especially a GF, not that im all that experienced :-(

is she totally against scifi? or star wars?

problem is its easier to dislike the prequels so if you go the intended viewing route you risk her never seeing the really good stuff as she might insist on giving up (most likely midway through ep2 lol)

id say go with the originals then the prequels unless she likes loads of action, cgi and more modern movies more, if so then try doing it 1-6, but as a blank question to a non fan whos never seen em? originals first then prequels, its how we all saw it ;-) then after 1-6 lol

start at a new hop (ep 4) - at least then she will of seen a classic movie and not (in comparison) a poor epsiode 1.

Harrison Ford, Mark Hammill and Carrie Fisher will never be beaten.

Also after Return of the jedi....don't the ewok movies follow next?

thats also a good point, alot of the good revelations in the originals are ruined seeing the prequels firsts.

yet 4-6 then 1-3 i say, like we saw it. leave the 1-6 order for the kids and the fans like us who have seen them so many times it doesnt matter lol.

plus the originals are 100 times better than the prequels, so yer 4-6 first

start at a new hop (ep 4) - at least then she will of seen a classic movie and not (in comparison) a poor epsiode 1.

u know out of the 3 prequels i prefer phantom, despite so much jar jar and pointlessness (like the other 2) it has a certain magic i feel that eps 2 and 3 dont, not the same magic as the originals, but in the same area code, ill always have a massive soft spot for phantom. clones gets worse evertime i see it, sith has good action but its to late and still has to much blah. there are some good reviews from this guy on the prequels lol, http://www.youtube.com/user/RedLetterMedia

although over the top alot, he is spot on more often than not at the failings of the prequels, especially the plot.

i like them, but i can see there many faults, unlike the originals that have very few, empire is still the best sequel of all time and the best of the 3.

I'd go for 4-6, then 1-3. That's the order that they were created and released, so really that is the intended viewing order.

Clicked that link thinking it'd only be a few mins long and the review was almost as long as the film :D

Personally I enjoyed the prequel trilogy as well as the original, so don't agree with all he had to say. It was funny though, as well as being rather odd and disturbing at times. :thumbup:

I'll have to watch the rest of them when I find time too.

I'd go for 4-6, then 1-3. That's the order that they were created and released, so really that is the intended viewing order.
In which case shouldn't the second set be of episodes be 7-9 and sequels rather than prequels? Hmm Vader dies and then is born again... :D

Just kidding :thumbup: . Up until recently I used to watch them 4-6 first. However I have swapped and since found I enjoy 1-3 more as a result.

Great replies, cheers!

As somone said earlier, sorry forgot the name, Episode I may be abit full on, I did wonder about this, she isnt the biggest of sci-fi fans and that movie throws you right in there from the word go. Jedi! The republic! Trade Federation! Droids! Naboo! Episode IV is simpler and slower in pace i think..

But as somone else said, the storyline! Ive always been curious how somone who viewed them 1-6 enjoyed the saga, having never seen any of them before. Episode III was still hugely powerful a movie for me, and I knew what the conclusion would be as Id obviously seen the originals!

I agree the originals are better for the most part, though Episode I is great fun, I very much love that film. Episode II is okay, its the single film in the saga which I dont class as amazing. Episode III.... now this will shock many of you, and please, this is only my opinion, and I was a fan of the originals before even episode I came out, but even though its a bit too heavy in CG and has the odd moment that didnt quite work, Revenge of the Sith is my favourite entry in the entire saga. The level of excitement and heartbreak, comedy and horror, just incredible. Not to mention the clone wars are my favourite period in Star Wars history.

Torn. I think for a new viewer who isnt a huge sci-fi fan maybe originals first.... but as a fan and for the storyline, 1-6 :/

I believe the Ewok movies were prequels to Return of the Jedi. I have them and I remember enjoying watching them as a child. When I bought them on DVD a few years ago though I actually turned it off though :thumbup:

I believe the Ewok movies were prequels to Return of the Jedi. I have them and I remember enjoying watching them as a child. When I bought them on DVD a few years ago though I actually turned it off though :thumbup:

Forgot that part. Yes, they take place between Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi.

Clicked that link thinking it'd only be a few mins long and the review was almost as long as the film ;)

Personally I enjoyed the prequel trilogy as well as the original, so don't agree with all he had to say. It was funny though, as well as being rather odd and disturbing at times. ;)

I'll have to watch the rest of them when I find time too.

lol yer they are long, and you are right, i think he is spot on with alot of his critique on the plots and direction, his star trek ones are shorter but also close to the mark and funny.

see I agree with almost all the things he says but i still like the prequels, but there no where close to the originals. and should of been so much more.

phantom though holds a special place for me, i can still remember the hype the atmosphere, new star wars! pre booking tickets ages in advance, going in massive groups, bunking off work at lunch time to see it on opening day. and you know what i left the cinema loving it, thinking WOW, now yes the years and constant views do awaken you to the stupid plot and lack of relatable character, and jar jar. but i still love it and still can feel that feeling from just before it was released and to how i felt just after. although the prequels plots are pretty bad and boring in areas especially for kids i think alot of ppl have jumped on the we hate the prequels bandwagon, yer there is ALOT wrong with them but there still enjoyable action films. and phantom holds a special place for me, a time of innocence, no debt, hope of finding love or just a gf, those times for me have long gone, but phantom takes me back there.

The fact is Episode 4 was made to introduce people into the Star Wars universe, and Episode 1 was made for people who know the Star Wars universe. Despite what George Lucas says, I don't think the saga should ever be watched from 1-6. Apart from the fact the original trilogy is a much better trilogy on the whole, everything that was done in it was done to treat people as if its the first time seeing these things. Jabba, Yoda, Vader being Luke's father, Luke and Leia being siblings etc. The prequels were just made to show more insight into what we already knew.

Edited by JacknDaniel

The fact is Episode 4 was made to introduce people into the Star Wars universe, and Episode 1 was made for people who know the Star Wars universe. Despite what George Lucas says, I don't think the saga should ever be watched from 1-6. Apart from the fact the original trilogy is a much better trilogy on the whole, everything that was done in it was done to treat people as if its the first time seeing these things. Jabba, Yoda, Vader being Luke's father, Luke and Leia being sisters etc. The prequels were just made to show more insight into what we already knew.

That is a very good point. Episode I does kind of throw you in in the assumption you know fully well what a Jedi etc is.

In which case shouldn't the second set be of episodes be 7-9 and sequels rather than prequels? Hmm Vader dies and then is born again... :P

Just kidding :D . Up until recently I used to watch them 4-6 first. However I have swapped and since found I enjoy 1-3 more as a result.

I think for people not familiar with Star Wars they should definitely view it 4-6 first, anyone else can watch it in whatever order they like :D

Does anyone know, before the prequels came out, were the films in the original trilogy actually named Episode IV, V and VI, or were those names only added later in rereleases? I don't remember ever seeing (or noticing) the episode numbers when I watched it when I was younger, so I don't know.

George orignally wanted IV in the title but the studio made him remove it because they thought people would get confused watching 'epiode iv' first. I can't recall at what point it was put back. For the special editions releases I think - along with the 'New Hope' bit.

Edit: A quick google reveals that 'Epside IV: A New Hope' was added for the '81 re-release. Empire was originally released with 'Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back'

Edited by 1of2

I got my girlfriend to watch 4-6 then 1-3 as thats how they were introduced to me and like others have said 4-6 explain it all properly while 1-3 expect you to know it all. We both enjoy them all except we cant agree what yoda is better the original puppet or cgi!

:blush:

Personally I rather the original puppet. I love CG, but only when its really needed. If you can do it with a puppet or on location etc etc, always do it that way, it looks more real and ages way better! However for example Yoda in the prequels needed to do far more, it made sense for him to be CG. The puppet Yoda in Episode I isnt too great though and looks older than CG Yoda, Im glad they are changing him to CG. Whatever happened in relation to that? Is it happening for the bluray and/or 3D release?

if they put a cgi yoda in the bluray or 3d release of the originals ill be (forum wont allow me to write what i want to here lol) very very angry, they cant, please lucas, just stop, lol

ep 1 yoda was aweful, I dont get what they were trying at all and looks less real than the original like 20 odd years prior.

cgi yoda was quite good, but i prefer the original puppet. and it works well, the reason he is so frail and age has caught up to him in the originals is cos of the battle with palps and fall he goes through during that, when your that old a big fall like that has big effects on your body.

if they put a cgi yoda in the bluray or 3d release of the originals ill be (forum wont allow me to write what i want to here lol) very very angry, they cant, please lucas, just stop, lol

ep 1 yoda was aweful, I dont get what they were trying at all and looks less real than the original like 20 odd years prior.

cgi yoda was quite good, but i prefer the original puppet. and it works well, the reason he is so frail and age has caught up to him in the originals is cos of the battle with palps and fall he goes through during that, when your that old a big fall like that has big effects on your body.

I very much so agree, replace episode I Yoda but not episode V and VI Yoda, that puppet is fantastic!

We both enjoy them all except we cant agree what yoda is better the original puppet or cgi!

:huh:

I agree with Jabba and Timelord. Puppet Yoda is superior. They did a fantastic job with the cgi version, definitely one of the plus points of the prequels. However I think the puppet looks more 'realistic' and that Frank Oz adds life to it in a way that the cgi version lacks.

;) I don't think inserting a cgi Yoda into the original trilogy would ever be a consideration. Yes, the puppet is more limited in what it can do but it works for the storyline at that point and you can't replace the performance from Frank Oz. There are some things you just don't change.

If it happened then it would cause a much bigger uproar than the Han/Greedo fiasco. Mr Lucas would surely be lynched.

and fall he goes through during that, when your that old a big fall like that has big effects on your body.
Very big effects falling that distance - broken bones, legs, arms, neck....no matter what age :P Edited by 1of2

you know the han greedo scene always bugged me as a kid, it always seemed like han was waiting for something to happen before he shot greedo or i dunno, then the SE came out and greedo shot first and missed now same time and greedo misses, its crazy, now I know what was missing, lucas must of thought about it back then to have greedo shoot first, but u know what its stupid, how can a bounty hunter miss from point blank range? why does he want to kill han when moments later jabba lets han off. and han shooting first is what his character would do, and i guess even more so how it was filmed, han cocky gives greedo a chance to shoot before blowing greedo away, thats solo my friend. i liked alot of the additions to a new hope but hate the han greedo tinkering.

Apparently they are replacing yoda for cgi in episode one which is good as the puppet was crap although the puppet in the original trilogy is a classic, it fits how he should be love the bit where he eats luke's chocolate bar or whatever or hitting r2. The other thing to remember is when they put in a cgi jabba with han in that missing scene..... it looks so crap! So only replace whats nesacary!

Anyone seen the adawayn reivisited version? It works a lot better especially with greedo blinking etc as it makes it all look better.

:D