How things work

Too Tall

Hi, i'm new to Chevron cons, and was wondering how do you go about or who do i notify about the fact that i have a disability? It's just me that will be attending and while i am no longer in a wheelchair, walking and standing can present a problem for me at times. (even though i hate to admit it!)

Thanks, Tammy :D

Hi Tammy,

The best thing to do is ask to speak to TooTall when you arrive at the event. He will be able to help you out with any concerns you may have.

Hi, thank you, i will try to remember to do that. Thank you for your help.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought it was going to be seated tables this time so bit disappointed. The last two times I went gold I duly stood at a table and missed guests both times as I stayed where I was rather than chasing the guests around like others did - so one time I missed David Hewlett which was a big disappointment.

So this time if I have to move about to see all the guests I want then I will do that - just seems like more work for everyone though.

Can't you consider having twelve tables with seating so we can all stay put and the guests aren't chased around and hounded?

The ones you've been to have likely been smaller ones (less than 80 gold pass holders) were we've not been as strict, and just allowed the guests to wonder as they please (with a GA). I'm sorry you missed some guests. There should always be plenty of crew in the room, if you're ever in that situation again please do tell one of the crew (or me) and we'll make sure you see those guests.

At the larger events like Twilight we are a lot more strict. We have the 12 tables and each guest is brought to each table. So as long as you stay at your table, you WILL receive ALL of the guests.

There are 2 issues with it being seated:

1: There is a huge issue with space if we sit everyone. We would need at least double if not triple the space to sit everyone instead of standing.

2: ME want it to be a drinks reception and not seated meet and great. It's always been the idea that it's informal and not really really ridged, which if everyone is seated it turns from being an informal drinks reception into a "pass the guest" party. With having 12 tables and bringing each guest to each table it's already got slightly more ridged but that's really as far as we want it to go.

People may disagree but ME don't want it to get too ridged.

I don't know if I am allowed to make suggestions here or if it is only to ask questions, but here goes.

The first Convention RDA did with AT, we were seated and yes, it was quite formal as they had to move around the tables and it was a bit like musical chairs for them, or as you say pass the guest, but at least we were relaxed and comfortable while waiting.

I do understand that you want it to remain informal, so if it is the informality that is stopping you from seating us, how about bar stools? This could be a good compromise. We could perch on these and they would only take up the room of a person standing, you could have them at the side of the room, so if we want one we could collect it, but I for one would not be comfortable standing throughout the reception, and if we get given a chair to sit on and we have bar tables which are higher we could be eye height with the table, the problem then is everyone around is going to be so much higher than the person sitting. Also, with the pain RDA is in with his feet etc, he might appreciate a stool to perch on. :wub:

Another suggestion is you could do a relaxed sit down and have the guests wander around the room similar to the last con he did in Vancouver.

Just a thought. :WAVE:

Just a quick Q.....I was wondering what the regulations regarding use of camcorders over the weekend are? I know they are forbidden in the talks and of course in the autograph hall, but is it okay within respectful reason elsewhere? Are we allowed to use them at the parties as long as we're not near/pointing them in the direction of the guests? Are we allowed to take photos of ourselves/friends at the parties (again as long as we're not aiming at guests)?

Hi there,

As you said, no photography in the auto room or when the compare has said no more flash photography in the talks (although you can usually continue without the flash then), and not in the gold pass reception or during photoshoots.

But where taking pics of your friends etc, of course that is allowed :D As you said, as long as you dont photograph or video the guests that is fine :D

Hope you have a fab weekend :D

• Moderators

Just a quick Q.....I was wondering what the regulations regarding use of camcorders over the weekend are? I know they are forbidden in the talks and of course in the autograph hall, but is it okay within respectful reason elsewhere? Are we allowed to use them at the parties as long as we're not near/pointing them in the direction of the guests? Are we allowed to take photos of ourselves/friends at the parties (again as long as we're not aiming at guests)?

Taking photos of you and your friends at the parties has always been fine at the events I've been to. Same with video. There's video somewhere online of a bunch of us camped out on the floor of the 'lobby' area of the con suite having a picnic one lunchtime at a Hub and that was fine...

Many thanks for your replies - best to check :D I respect that it's impossible to mointor where everybody's cameras are pointing - particularly at the parties - and I wanted to be sure that there wasn't a 'no videoing' rule in force. Pictures I didn't think would be too much of an issue, but videoing I was worried might be.

Edited by Fozziefuzz

• Showmasters Admin

Thought it was going to be seated tables this time so bit disappointed. The last two times I went gold I duly stood at a table and missed guests both times as I stayed where I was rather than chasing the guests around like others did - so one time I missed David Hewlett which was a big disappointment.

So this time if I have to move about to see all the guests I want then I will do that - just seems like more work for everyone though.

Can't you consider having twelve tables with seating so we can all stay put and the guests aren't chased around and hounded?

The ones you've been to have likely been smaller ones (less than 80 gold pass holders) were we've not been as strict, and just allowed the guests to wonder as they please (with a GA). I'm sorry you missed some guests. There should always be plenty of crew in the room, if you're ever in that situation again please do tell one of the crew (or me) and we'll make sure you see those guests.

At the larger events like Twilight we are a lot more strict. We have the 12 tables and each guest is brought to each table. So as long as you stay at your table, you WILL receive ALL of the guests.

There are 2 issues with it being seated:

1: There is a huge issue with space if we sit everyone. We would need at least double if not triple the space to sit everyone instead of standing.

2: ME want it to be a drinks reception and not seated meet and great. It's always been the idea that it's informal and not really really ridged, which if everyone is seated it turns from being an informal drinks reception into a "pass the guest" party. With having 12 tables and bringing each guest to each table it's already got slightly more ridged but that's really as far as we want it to go.

People may disagree but ME don't want it to get too ridged.

I don't know if I am allowed to make suggestions here or if it is only to ask questions, but here goes.

The first Convention RDA did with AT, we were seated and yes, it was quite formal as they had to move around the tables and it was a bit like musical chairs for them, or as you say pass the guest, but at least we were relaxed and comfortable while waiting.

I do understand that you want it to remain informal, so if it is the informality that is stopping you from seating us, how about bar stools? This could be a good compromise. We could perch on these and they would only take up the room of a person standing, you could have them at the side of the room, so if we want one we could collect it, but I for one would not be comfortable standing throughout the reception, and if we get given a chair to sit on and we have bar tables which are higher we could be eye height with the table, the problem then is everyone around is going to be so much higher than the person sitting. Also, with the pain RDA is in with his feet etc, he might appreciate a stool to perch on. :D

Another suggestion is you could do a relaxed sit down and have the guests wander around the room similar to the last con he did in Vancouver.

Just a thought. :D

I like the bar stool idea. The issue will be if the Hilton have enough of them. We'd need 50 at least and really we should have 150 (so everyone has one) and I honestly don't think they have anywhere near that many. But I shall look into it.

I like the bar stool idea. The issue will be if the Hilton have enough of them. We'd need 50 at least and really we should have 150 (so everyone has one) and I honestly don't think they have anywhere near that many. But I shall look into it.

I, for one, would love the idea of having some bar stools around. Last year, they had low chairs available, and I needed one. Felt a bit silly being so low, while everyone else was standing up. Having a higher chair, I would be able to interact with everyone a whole lot better.

I think if there were some stools to the side, most people wouldn't feel the need for them, but those that did, could put them to good use.

I, for one, would love the idea of having some bar stools around. Last year, they had low chairs available, and I needed one. Felt a bit silly being so low, while everyone else was standing up. Having a higher chair, I would be able to interact with everyone a whole lot better.

I think if there were some stools to the side, most people wouldn't feel the need for them, but those that did, could put them to good use.

I agree, that is just what I was thinking. There doesn't have to be a stool for each person, most people will be happy standing or even prefer to stand, but if there are some there for those that need them, it will be great. Plus as you say far easier to interact with people. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Whats the state of play regarding photos for the actors to sign - will they be on the tables, or will we be expected to buy them separately?

If so, will it be from a stand in the collectors room, or from the desks when he hand over our cards?

Whats the state of play regarding photos for the actors to sign - will they be on the tables, or will we be expected to buy them separately?

If so, will it be from a stand in the collectors room, or from the desks when he hand over our cards?

The registration pack will contain 10x8's of each the attending guests that you can use. This may be single, double or cast photos. Usually there is a dealers room where there will be further images, of varying sizes, that you can purchase.

I have never seen photos available at the respective signing desks that you can select from like at Collectormania/LFCC/etc.

Is the registration desk open on Saturday Morning as i'm getting in very late on Friday night 11pm?
Yes, usually from 8am.

Edit: Autos/photo's generally start around 9am so there will be plenty of time to register.

Edited by 1of2

Is the registration desk open on Saturday Morning as i'm getting in very late on Friday night 11pm?
Yes, usually from 8am.

Edit: Autos/photo's generally start around 9am so there will be plenty of time to register.

thank you that sets my mind at rest :)

• 2 weeks later...

Noob question ;)

I've never bothered with photo shoots at previous conventions but this time I have a silver ticket.

If we have things with us that we don't want in the photo (e.g. a bag, autograph folder or jacket), is there anywhere we can put them during the photo shoot? Does somebody take things from us or do we have to find somewhere else to put them before the shoot?

Also, how strict is the timing of the photo shoots? If my group is listed for all of them on Saturday, should I make sure I get them all on Saturday, or can I wait until the Sunday like I could with autographs? (I know the first post of this thread says you can wait until Sunday, but it also says that you should go to a photo shoot before autograph if you've been called for both at the same time :WAVE: )

Noob question ;)

I've never bothered with photo shoots at previous conventions but this time I have a silver ticket.

If we have things with us that we don't want in the photo (e.g. a bag, autograph folder or jacket), is there anywhere we can put them during the photo shoot? Does somebody take things from us or do we have to find somewhere else to put them before the shoot?

Also, how strict is the timing of the photo shoots? If my group is listed for all of them on Saturday, should I make sure I get them all on Saturday, or can I wait until the Sunday like I could with autographs? (I know the first post of this thread says you can wait until Sunday, but it also says that you should go to a photo shoot before autograph if you've been called for both at the same time :WAVE: )

The photo shoots work in a similar way to Collectormania/LFCC. You hand your stuff over to a crew memeber as you enter the photo shoot area and you collect it on the way out - a very effective conveyor belt system.

You can get autographs at any time after you have been called (as long as the guest are still signing that is - they stop signing at lunch time on each day normally). Where as once the photo shoot session has finished for the Saturday then that it is it for that day. I would strongly suggest alway try to attend a photo shoot as per the schedule, i.e. if you are called up on the Saturday at 10am then go up at 10am on the Saturday. There is a much larger time frame for collecting an autograph than there is for the photo shoot. If you do miss a Saturday photo soot then you will be able to go through on the Sunday.

The photo shoots work in a similar way to Collectormania/LFCC. You hand your stuff over to a crew memeber as you enter the photo shoot area and you collect it on the way out - a very effective conveyor belt system.

I've never had a photo shoot at signing events either :WAVE:

Thanks, that's what I hoped it would be like. Is it clear once you enter that someone will take stuff from you, or do you need to ask someone?

I would strongly suggest alway try to attend a photo shoot as per the schedule, i.e. if you are called up on the Saturday at 10am then go up at 10am on the Saturday. There is a much larger time frame for collecting an autograph than there is for the photo shoot. If you do miss a Saturday photo soot then you will be able to go through on the Sunday.

Thanks, I'll try to stick to the schedule as best I can then. How long does it usually take between queuing up and getting out of the photo shoot?

Thanks, that's what I hoped it would be like. Is it clear once you enter that someone will take stuff from you, or do you need to ask someone?

I would strongly suggest alway try to attend a photo shoot as per the schedule, i.e. if you are called up on the Saturday at 10am then go up at 10am on the Saturday. There is a much larger time frame for collecting an autograph than there is for the photo shoot. If you do miss a Saturday photo soot then you will be able to go through on the Sunday.

Thanks, I'll try to stick to the schedule as best I can then. How long does it usually take between queuing up and getting out of the photo shoot?

15-20 mins I've found so far at Chevrons, I'm sure someone else could tell you differently though.

Yes it's very clear, a crew member will remind people if they forget to hand over belongings.

You have never had a photo shoot?? ;) That's twice you have shocked me in 10 minutes. I don't know why but I had always assumed you had been to previous Chevrons.

You are not in the queue for very long (unless you start queuing before your group gets called). I would guess that it's an average of 10 seconds per person for a photo so it depends how many people are in front of you in the queue really. No more than 10 minutes at the most.

Thanks both of you for your time estimates :WAVE:

That's twice you have shocked me in 10 minutes. I don't know why but I had always assumed you had been to previous Chevrons.

I have, I've been to them all. The first Chevron 7 was my first convention, been to them all since (plus other cons and signing events).

But I've never had a photo shoot. I don't like having my photo taken, but since I had to buy a silver ticket to meet RDA, I may as well go to the photo shoots included in my ticket.