WHEN HARRY MET SALLY STAGE SHOW

Indiana

I went to see the first non-previews matinee showing of When Harry Met Sally, at the Royal Theatre Haymarket yesterday afternoon.

Now you may ask why am I putting this in the Buffy section, well, you see, both of it's main cast members are associated with Buffy in some way; Alyson Hannigan (Sally Albright), was obviously Willow in the televison show, and Luke Perry (Harry Burns) was in the original 1992 Buffy movie as Pike. So you see that's why I thought it appropraite to place the report here.

The show is quite innovative in its production values. I don't know how many of you have seen the original movie with Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal, but it is intercut with stories of how couples fell in love (mostly old couples who have been together for a long time), and so is the show. This is done by an excellent sliding door effect. When closed completely the doors form a blank screen onto which is projected filmed footage of these couples talking about their lives. The date usually appears on the screen next (we start in 1987 when Harry and Sally first meet), and then the screens open up to reveal the stage. This is also used to emulate the split screen effects seen in the film (for example after Harry and Sally have first slept together and telephone their mutual friends to explain). It also allows the cast to quickly change costumes, and for props to be set up (such as the Gym set, the bar set and the wedding party set for example). It's so simple, and yet so effective at the same time.

I won't re-tell the story here, (Basically it's Harry meeting Sally, them becoming great friends and then eventually falling in love - see the movie if you want to know more, or better still see the show), but I will comment on the performances.

Both leads were very good, but I did feel that Alyson Hannigan was trying too hard, whereas Luke Perry's performance seemed not only naturalistic, but overshadowed Billy Crystal's original performance. The rest of the supporting cast were excellent, especially Sharon Small as Marie, Sally's best friend (in the role originally played by Carrie Fisher).

Overall this was a funny, innovative and totally entertaining show that I enjoyed far more than I originally thought I would. I would even entertain the thought of seeing it again.

As for meeting the actors, well it's a very mixed story. My wife and I got there at 11am, along with some French girls and waited until 1.30 for anyone to arrive. The support cast begain to show up in dribs and drabs, but it was Luke Perry and Alyson Hannigan that we wanted to see. My wife and I were the first ones there, then the French girls arrived and then the dreaded dealers, with their multistacked piles of photos for the celebs to sign.

At 1.30 a black People Carrier arrived at the back doors and a very stern looking Alexis Denisoff stepped out and scowled at us. The dealers surged forward pushing us aside as the made their way toward tiny Alyson. Alexis went on the defensive refusing to sign or have photos taken (but reluctantly did a few anyway). I managed to get two autographs from Alyson (and another later on a signed poster with Luke Perry's autograph that was obtained for us by a kind stage hand). I also had a couple of photos taken with her as Alexis was dragging her arm away. Alexis eventually got so angry that he stormed into the theatre leaving Alyson to fend for herself, until she too disappeared inside.

Then we waited for Luke Perry to arrive...and waited...and waited. It turned out that he was already inside rehearsing, and had gone in through the front door. We also tried to catch him after the show but he was so slick no one even saw him leave or return. So I'll have to go back another day to get my photo with him. I did however get Sharon Small's autograph and a photo with her and Luke's understudy.

Overall it was a good experience, (despite the absolute freezing cold) and a show that I would highly recommend.

Obi-Wan :P

I went to see this in the evening yesterday (popular day!) and I was lucky to get autographs from everyone - Alyson, Alexis, Luke, and even the bonus Joss Whedon and Tony Head who turned up as well.

I too have pics and am sorting them out :lol:

I went to see this in the evening yesterday (popular day!) and I was lucky to get autographs from everyone - Alyson, Alexis, Luke, and even the bonus Joss Whedon and Tony Head who turned up as well.

I too have pics and am sorting them out :P

Where did you happen to meet Luke? Which door front or back?

Joss and Co were also there on Friday evening (Press Night)with Tony Head. I know a lot of people who got him then too.

Obi-Wan ;)

Where did you happen to meet Luke? Which door front or back?

Luke came out of the back door on Saturday Night. Didn;t see him at all though in between the matinee performance and the evening performance so he either snuck out the front or stayed inside.

Not the best of the pics but at least you can see who they are :P

Alexis.JPG

Alyson.JPG

Joss.JPG

Tony.JPG

Luke.JPG

What time was this Jola? Late on Saturday Night?

I'm only fussed about meeting Luke Perry as I have met the others before.

We met Alyson & Alexis after the matinee performance then the others were met after the evening performance.

Luke was the only one I was interested in as well. He was such a total sweetheart as well *drools* :yoda:

Just in case those of you that haven't got tickets yet Alyson Hannigan is having a short break.

Taken from the theatre's website:-

At all performances between 17th March and 3rd April inclusive, the role of SALLY will be played by ELIZABETH JASICKI. ALYSON HANNIGAN appears at all other performances

Just in case those of you that haven't got tickets yet Alyson Hannigan is having a short break.

Taken from the theatre's website:-

At all performances between 17th March and 3rd April inclusive, the role of SALLY will be played by ELIZABETH JASICKI. ALYSON HANNIGAN appears at all other performances

interesting..... i heard some rumours that she's taking that time off to appear in an Angel episode... lets hope so!!!