Voting method?

Goodie586

Hello one and all!

I was wondering....i have no technical knowlege of how to run a website etc but was just wondering.

I love Showmasters and i love the Forums and with each new show we have a "name a guest you want to see" post.

I was wondering if there was a way that we could start a voting system.

A league so to speak....not to be a competion but a way for Showmasters to see who we as customers really want.

As i say i have no way of knowing how that would work on this Forum but if there was a way to cast votes it could show potentially popular guests and perhaps guests previously unthought of. It also might be fun. It would have to be made so that each member could only vote once etc .....as i say...no idea how that would work,....but it would be fun!

Response.......

The only method I can think of is the Poll, but that involves people choosing from a list of names, so that is not ideal.

We do have the guest request threads, and they are always a good indication for SM :poki:

Yeah i love the "guest request threads" but i feel good gueast suggestions get lost in the mix...a poll of popular ones might stop that...thats my whole argument...whether it makes sense is a whole diffrent ball game :)

At times the poll option can be a bit limiting. Unfortunately you are restricted to creating up to three sections with a maximum of twenty options (guests) in each section. A person can then have one vote per section.

I, and probably most people, could easily come up with a list of guests that exceed this number. I have to agree that it wouldn't really work for the general signing events. At times it can even be a struggle to create a poll for the ME cons due to the sheer number of possible guests at some of those events.

At times the poll option can be a bit limiting. Unfortunately you are restricted to creating up to three sections with a maximum of twenty options (guests) in each section. A person can then have one vote per section.

I, and probably most people, could easily come up with a list of guests that exceed this number. I have to agree that it wouldn't really work for the general signing events. At times it can even be a struggle to create a poll for the ME cons due to the sheer number of possible guests at some of those events.

Many thanks... as i say..i dont know how the Forum works that way.....just know i love to look at charts...but if its as limited as you say then it kinda sucks :)...thanks for the advice.

Well in the Hub forum there is a thread where someone tallies up how many requests each cast member/crew has got and keeps that updated.

But with a wide-reaching event like this with literally hundreds of fandoms, shows and films to draw from keeping that sort of list updated would be impossible.

Not a problem. Personally I like the idea of having a 'master' list. It's just not possible with the poll option.

So apart from the current suggestion threads the only other way that I can think of would be for someone to manually maintain a master list. Similar to what etmuse has done for previous Hub events. I imagine that it would be a logisitcal nightmare to maintain something similar on a much larger scale.

One further thought - you mention the one vote per person. What would happen when their chosen guest attends an event. The person who voted for the guest would then want a new choice, wouldn't they? I know I would :D

Edit: Ok BeatrixKiddo88 still types faster than me :D

Edited by 1of2

Not a problem. Personally I like the idea of having a 'master' list. It's just not possible with the poll option.

So apart from the current suggestion threads the only other way that I can think of would be for someone to manually maintain a master list. Similar to what etmuse has done for previous Hub events. I imagine that it would be a logisitcal nightmare to maintain something similar on a much larger scale.

One further thought - you mention the one vote per person. What would happen when their chosen guest attends an event. The person who voted for the guest would then want a new choice, wouldn't they? I know I would :D

Edit: Ok BeatrixKiddo88 still types faster than me :D

Ahhhh yeah they would get a new vote.... i see the problems but i also see the wine infront of me....terrible situation :)

• Moderators

I don't really think there's much point in over-complicating a system that isn't official in any capacity.

We have to remember that it's only a small portion of the total attendees on here, and so the polls etc are really just for fun and that guest suggestions are taken on board but never guaranteed.

I think our suggestions plus Showmasters' existing knowledge and general common sense (yes, people generally want to meet main cast from shows/movies etc) means we get a good variety of guests at events.

It's not necessarily that unusual/different ones get ignored but the organiser has to weigh up who is available, and whether the price is worth it etc. We've certainly had some different guests in the past, but it's the main cast etc that will pull in the crowds.

So...who wants to volunteer to keep track of the 100+ guest list? :WAVE:

Me!!!! Damn Wine :)

Did someone say Wine??

They did and it sounds like a good idea.

Pants!! No money!!

I think whoever brought the subject up should pay and then it wouldn't be a problem. Or maybe you could get Goodie 586 to courier you some down as he's just got his Xmas stock. B)

I think whoever brought the subject up should pay and then it wouldn't be a problem. Or maybe you could get Goodie 586 to courier you some down as he's just got his Xmas stock. B)

I think i am a generous fellow most of the time but dont mess with a man's booze!

Hehe...its almost all gone already....

Wine belly on its way!

So...who wants to volunteer to keep track of the 100+ guest list? :P

Did someone say Wine??

Pants!! No money!!

Possibly better than "Money!! No pants!!"...

Definitely. It might get a bit chilly, specially at this time of year. :blush:

Edited by dwarfbabe

So...who wants to volunteer to keep track of the 100+ guest list? :P

Did someone say Wine??

Pants!! No money!!

Possibly better than "Money!! No pants!!"...

Definitely. It might get a bit chilly, specially at this time of year. :blush:

Depends how much I've had to drink lol!

GOODIE - Send a bottle of Rose this way??