Return to Middle Earth ..

DavidB

• Moderators

If there's one thing many of us can be nostalgic about, it's the days of LOTR coming out in the cinema, and the guests that Showmasters brought us from the trilogy back in ye olden days.

I started at Collectormania 3 back in 2003. This was just before the insanity of getting all 4 main Hobbits to sign in a shopping centre in Milton Keynes .. tales from those that survived that weekend have been shared with many fans over the years, to the point where it almost feels like the stuff of myths and legends.

I miss the days of waiting for another big LOTR guest to be announced, as the fandom round these parts died down over the years after ROTK was released. I've had the pleasure of sitting with a good few LOTR guests in the past, all of which were fantastic with their fans and really enjoyed every moment.

Guys like Sala Baker and Andy Serkis became more friends than guests over their appearances, and we had so many supporting and main cast from the series that many of us have a wide range of items in our collections - from weapons to cast prints, and even some of those 'guest boards' we see at every event .. I know people had fun getting them home!

But more than anything, to many of us LOTR brings back memories of friendships formed that still stand today, and that's an anniversary worth celebrating above all else.

So who's in? Who have you met before? Are you a veteran of the SM LOTR meets? Or did you join too late and have been waiting for years for this to be picked up again?

Personally I can't wait for The Hobbit, and for a decent Blu-ray of the LOTR trilogy!

It's crazy to think of some of the ones we've had announced previously .. even if some did cancel ..

Bob Anderson (Swordmaster)

Sean Astin (Sam)

Sala Baker (Sauron)

Billy Boyd (Pippin)

Brad Dourif (Grima Wormtongue)

Mark Ferguson (Gil-Galad)

Bernard Hill (King Theoden of Rohan)

Christopher Lee (Saruman)

Nathaniel Lees (Uglúk)

Lawrence Makoare (Lurtz, Witch-king of Angmar, and Gothmog)

Brent McIntyre (Witch-king of Angmar)

Dominic Monaghan (Merry)

Paul Norell (King of the Dead)

Miranda Otto (Éowyn)

Craig Parker (Haldir)

Shane Rangi (Witch-king of Angmar)

John Rhys-Davies (Gimli)

Thomas Robins (Déagol)

Andy Serkis (Sméagol/Gollum)

Kiran Shah (Elijah's stunt double)

Bruce Spence (Mouth of Sauron)

Royd Tolkien

David Wenham (Faramir)

Elijah Wood (Frodo)

And I'm sure a few others too ..

• Showmasters Admin

It's really odd how so many of us started at CM3 and got hooked because of LOTR.

My first guest, John Rhys Davies for him to sign a Gimli's axe I'd bought from Bob. Aaaa the memories.

Then coming back for CM4 :WINCE::clap:;)

The funny thing is it shows what experience brings, because now we deal with queues of 1000+ attendees without blinking.

It's really odd how so many of us started at CM3 and got hooked because of LOTR.

My first guest, John Rhys Davies for him to sign a Gimli's axe I'd bought from Bob. Aaaa the memories.

The funny thing is it shows what experience brings, because now we deal with queues of 1000+ attendees without blinking.

It wasn't the queues so much as the screaming...the incessant, constant screaming and the crying...lots of crying.

Happy days!

LOL!

• Showmasters Admin

It wasn't the queues so much as the screaming...the incessant, constant screaming and the crying...lots of crying.

Happy days!

LOL!

We have tazers for that too ;)

It increases the screaming but only for a few seconds :D

I was so happy to meet such people as David Wenham, Bernard Hill, Sean Astin, John Rhys Davies, Paul Norell, Sala Baker, Andy Serkis and many others within my first few SM events and it was a dream come true. Would love to meet Karl Urban who cancelled an event ages ago, along with David Wenham again and Bernard Hill as photos with them weren't allowed at the time.

John Noble would also be a fantastic person to meet.

Very excited about the prospect of meeting some more LOTR people after so long without any guests

Very late. I have only seen The Fellowship Of The Rings so far **ducks flying objects**. I started watching The Two Towers but something interrupted me and I never got around to finishing it. I must set aside a day over the holidays and watch the whole trilogy.

Ahh one thing that is definitely tempting me is photo shoots as I don't have any with anyone :D
I have one with John Rhys Davies. That's it.

So this CM4 'experience'...how did it compare to LFCC '07?

Very late. I have only seen The Fellowship Of The Rings so far **ducks flying objects**. I started watching The Two Towers but something interrupted me and I never got around to finishing it. I must set aside a day over the holidays and watch the whole trilogy.

Ahh one thing that is definitely tempting me is photo shoots as I don't have any with anyone :D

watch the extended editions, longer but better!

fellowship is my favorite of the 3 films. towers feels like its missing something and return of the kings finale battle is a bit over blown and not all that epic in feel although it is in scope. for me anyway, but I still love all 3 films.

humm, been a while, im getting in a LOTR mood, might have to rewatch all 3 back to back style

• Moderators

Yeah actually I think he's the only one I have too .. and that time I got a Sliders autograph anyway, so I don't count him :P haha

Compared to LFCC? Well, I think LFCC was more organised :D

I think it was just it being in a shopping centre, and people being able to stand outside and look through the glass etc. It was certainly a mob mentality with a buzz I've never seen before. It was organised as much as it can be for a public place :P

watch the extended editions, longer but better!
I have the extended versions. I figured that if I didn't get them to start with then I would only end up wondering what I was missing over the theatrical cuts.

Yeah actually I think he's the only one I have too .. and that time I got a Sliders autograph anyway, so I don't count him :P haha

Compared to LFCC? Well, I think LFCC was more organised :D

I think it was just it being in a shopping centre, and people being able to stand outside and look through the glass etc. It was certainly a mob mentality with a buzz I've never seen before. It was organised as much as it can be for a public place ;)

I went for the triple hit (LOTR, Indy, Sliders) with JRD as it was the first time I had met him.

Ah, yes the shopping centre is definitley more public than a hall (or hotel). Wish I had seen CM4 though :P

I don't post on here very often, but I am a SM veteran, I've been to pretty much all the Milton Keynes shows since C3. We should have "I survived C4" T Shirts! I remember having to drive back on the Monday to meet Elijah Wood, the memories...

JRD, would love to meet him again, I also have a sliders pix, as they didn't have an Indy photo, which is what I actually wanted at the time.

Dominic Monaghan, the only one of the four I don't have an autograph of.

I must say I have a great collection of LOTR Signature, mainly thanks to SM. I think I'd like to go to a 10 year bash :)

I started at Collectormania 3 back in 2003. This was just before the insanity of getting all 4 main Hobbits to sign in a shopping centre in Milton Keynes .. tales from those that survived that weekend have been shared with many fans over the years, to the point where it almost feels like the stuff of myths and legends.

Holly Cow David, Snap!

I have been to every show that a LOTR guest has been announced since day 1 and have fantastic memories.

I have travelled to Denmark to see Viggo, France to see Liv and Milton Keynes for the rest :D

David is right it's the photoshoots that every one is missing :D and literally every one would be a great guest