Torchwood Casting

showmasters

• Showmasters Admin

(SLIGHT SPOILERS - Character bios! No story line reveal)

In case you had not heard...

Torchwood Casting: BILL PULLMAN

Rev_15..04.05_char1.jpg

Hot on the heels of news about Mekhi Phifer being cast yesterday, today Deadline reports long-time Hollywood actor Bill Pullman will be joining the cast of Torchwood: The New World. He will be playing one of the lead roles in the series, that of the psychotic Oswald Jones.

Like Phifer, Pullman was born in New York (1953). Starting out in the theatre, he made the move to the big screen in the 1986 film Ruthless People (with Bette Midler and Danny De Vito); he quickly rose to lead role status the following year in the Mel Brooks sci-fi spoof Spaceballs, and he has since been involved in a number of successful films, including Sleepless in Seattle, While You Were Sleeping, and Casper. However, his sci-fi credentials are probably best represented in what is possibly his highest profile role, portraying President of the United States Thomas Whitmore in the Will Smith/Jeff Goldblum blockbuster, Independence Day.

On television, he is best known for playing Harvard scientist and astrophysicist Bill Massey in the supernatural thriller series Revelations.

Playing....OSWALD JONES

Oswald Jones is dangerously clever, a psychotic, convicted murderer and paedophile. He escapes his lifelong prison sentence on a technicality and quickly becomes a media sensation.

Genuinely repentant yet boiling with lust and rage, Oswald gets caught up in a terrifying worldwide crisis.

Mekhi Phifer joins Torchwood

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - Posted by Marcus

TorchwoodDeadline is reporting that American actor Mekhi Phifer is to join the cast of Torchwood: The New World playing Rex Matheson, one of the three leads, alongside John Barrowman and Eve Myles.

Also joining the team...

MEKHI PHIFER

mekhi-phifer.jpg

Mekhi Phifer is best known for his role as Dr. Gregory Pratt on NBC's long-running medical drama ER.

Born in New York, his acting career began when he was selected for the leading role in Spike Lee's Clockers a role for which he won critical acclaim for his performance as Strike, a young New Jersey drug dealer involved in a murder cover-up. He later appeared in the comedy spoof High School High, in the Columbia/Tristar thriller I Still Know What You Did Last Summer and in Soul Food. In 2002, Phifer starred as Future, opposite Eminem, in Curtis Hanson's film, 8 Mile. Phifer's other television credits include leading roles in MTV's film Carmen: A Hip Hopera and in A Lesson Before Dying a role which eearned him an NAACP Image Award Nomination. He was a regular on the Fox crime show Lie to Me.

REX MATHESON

He?s 28, the golden boy.

Has been, all his life. Harvard education, fast-tracker in the C.I.A., destined for success. Though he?s never taken it easy ? Rex hustles, seduces and campaigns to get where he is today. He can talk his way into anything, then charm his way out, fast. He?s made a lot of enemies, but his friends and lovers would defend him to death. His choice of career is significant. Someone like Rex could make a fortune in Wall Street, or Hollywood. But choosing the C.I.A. says a lot about him: that for all his swagger, he does believe in justice. And will fight for it.

Slowly but surely, we see him make friends. He?s thrown together a bunch of people known as Torchwood, the only people who might have the answer to a global mystery. To Rex, at first, they?re a bunch of freaks. Welsh women and World War 2 Captains, what?s that about?! But as they race from one crisis to another, dodging assassins, blackmail, corruption and conspiracy, from Washington to Wales and the slums of Shanghai, Rex forges friendships in the heat of fire. He learns to trust his new colleagues. And they realize that this dangerous, dazzling, reckless man is the best friend they could ever have, in a world going to hell.

They frighten us, men like Rex. We wish we were him; we never will be.

Ooh I think Bill Pullman is brilliant casting for this somewhat... interesting .... character. I'd love to have him at a Hub!

Not so sure about Phifer, not really what I'd had in mind for Rex, considering the other people who'd been considered for the part... hopefully will be good though!

Loved this: 'Welsh women and World War 2 Captains, what's that about?!'

• 3 weeks later...

With that many characters there's bound to be a Suzie in the mix. Someone won't make it very far. This is Torchwood :thumbup:

At the risk of sounding terribly fatalistic, I predict Rex and Gwen will be the only ones coming out unscathed. Jack has 1 death per episode, so I don't count him :P

At the risk of sounding terribly fatalistic, I predict Rex and Gwen will be the only ones coming out unscathed. Jack has 1 death per episode, so I don't count him :thumbup:

I totally agree with your fatalism. Except that Rex might not make it, either. (And if one particular character is killed, I see a semi-official status coalescing for a de facto club made up of certain actors. :P )

At the risk of sounding terribly fatalistic, I predict Rex and Gwen will be the only ones coming out unscathed. Jack has 1 death per episode, so I don't count him ;)

I totally agree with your fatalism. Except that Rex might not make it, either. (And if one particular character is killed, I see a semi-official status coalescing for a de facto club made up of certain actors. :o )

*nods* Indeedy!

• 2 weeks later...