hotel suggestions

chubbers

Hi intending to stay the saturday night, would be grateful for any hotel suggestions

I guess it depends on the price you can afford. I have only ever stayed in Central London twice, as I recall. Once I was attending an event at the London Olympia years ago and stayed at the Hilton just over the other side of the train station from the Olympia. It was lovely but then I wasn't paying for it as it was a work thing. I imagine the Hilton is quite expensive.

For LFCC I stayed in a hostel near Earls Court. i can't remember the name of it but there are a lot around there if you are looking for a very cheap option. I'm sure there will be some places a bit more in between and other people will be better able to advise you

Try looking on www.laterooms.com.

If you put in the postcode for the venue, you can then search for hotels in the area. There are guest reviews on there as well which are a useful guide.

I would recommend avoiding the Holland Court Hotel on Holland Road. I stayed there once and never again. It was a dump.

If you're not afraid of tiny rooms, the EasyHotel is just a few minutes walk away from the venue, and the prices are fairly reasonable :)

Don't forget the bright orange walls :(

Not good if you're drunk - bright orange bathroom - noooooot good!

I'm guessing that you don't know that from personal experience, just from what people have told you :wub:

If you're not afraid of tiny rooms, the EasyHotel is just a few minutes walk away from the venue, and the prices are fairly reasonable :)

Don't forget the bright orange walls :(

Not good if you're drunk - bright orange bathroom - noooooot good!

I'm guessing that you don't know that from personal experience, just from what people have told you :wub:

Of course lol!

I stayed at the Easyhotel Heathrow for CM London , and would point out a few things to those considering staying at one.

You will need to take extra towels, soap/shampoo as only one hand towel and normal towel was in the room. I'd even consider taking a toilet roll just in case.

I hope you like your showers cold to lukewarm at best, I turned the shower on and it was stone cold, so thought I'd run it for a bit to let the hot water come through, no joy at all.

The room is very basic indeed, and yes, you get what you pay for, there's very little room indeed.

I took some pictures, but they don't really show just how small the room actually is , but here goes anyway.

DSC00009.jpg

The bed is fitted right up against the wall, you can't walk round any side of the bed at all

DSC00010.jpg

This was taken from the edge of the bed down to the door.

However whilst the room was small, I will say it was clean, and warm enough.

There is a mirror with a single plug socket, and light, but the light must have been something like a 40watt bulb, it didn't make the slightest bit of difference.

So for those who are staying there, don't expect too many amenities, or even hot water !

Take food as well, there's a vending machine and coffee machine, but a bottle of diet coke from the machine was £1.80 !

Edited by gebes

The shower when I stayd there was fine, I didn't have a problem with it.

Also, would say - if you want a coffee/tea first thing in the morning, maybe bring a small travel kettle with you, but hide it in your bag when you leave as they don't like kettles and stuff there (probably as they want you to use the over priced vending machines as Gebes has said)

You can have a room with a window, or a room without - obviously without is cheaper.

If you want to use the tv, you have to pay extra and get the remote control from the reception.

When I was there, we didn't have time for tv as we were out in the evenings.

maybe try the Premier Travel Inn at Putney Bridge, it is on the district line only a few stops away on the tube or you can get a bus.

I've not stayed there personally but I live in Tooting and always pass it on the way to Olympia and Earl's Court - maybe you can book in advance and scoop one of the chain's £29 room deals? :o

surfy sah xx

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Well I have decided to take the plunge and come down to visit, mainly because of two Guests in particular, Joel Gretsch and Sandahl Bergman.

I have booked at the Lily Hotel situated on Lillie Road. Does anyone know what this hotel is like? I booked it because of its location near Earl's Court.

Any input would be fantastic as this will be my first venture to this show. :)

Also will it be vastly different in comparison to Glasgow? Or will it be the same processes but on a bigger scale here?

Many thanks. :YAHOO:

Ann

xx

Hi,

Also will it be vastly different in comparison to Glasgow? Or will it be the same processes but on a bigger scale here?

Hi there.

I went to the event in November and have been to all the Glasgow ones aswell. I would say that the process is the exact same just as you say on a bigger scale. Longer queues but they move pretty fast. Just remember as soon as you go in to get the free ticket for the wait to get an autograph for the more popular guests. There will be a crew member at the popular guests station handing out a number...i forgot to do it for Michael Behin and boy was it a long wait when i finally remembered.

Dont know about your hotel thou.

You will have a great time....i did!

Just no guest as yet to make me want to drive all the way again....but you never know who will be added!

Take care

Craig

I have booked at the Lily Hotel situated on Lillie Road. Does anyone know what this hotel is like? I booked it because of its location near Earl's Court.

Any input would be fantastic as this will be my first venture to this show. :)

Well there's this post from one of the mods, and no doubt if you look back to London shows in 2007 you can find more graphic details. TripAdvisor also makes for fairly grim reading. Now I know everybody has their own standards and expectations, and I take some individual reviews with a pinch of salt, but when a place has over 150 individual ratings, nearly two-thirds of which are "bad" or" terrible", I look elswhere. Again, ratings are subjective and not the be-all and end-all, but this hotel is rated 901 out of 1,053 in London - that's in the bottom 15%, which is way outside what I'll take as an acceptable margin. But each to their own, and I can't comment from personal experience of this particular establishment (and am unlikely to be able to do so anytime soon).

I can only second what Tommy has said.

The Lily was used as a crew hotel for a previous event and the details of some rooms (and I know I didn't catch everything) were ghastly.

I would definitely look elsewhere. Not sure if the Earls Court Ibis is an option? That's really only a little bit further away than the Lily. That's the hotel a lot of attendees use for LFACC, and while they can be chaotic during check in process the reviews are nowhere near as bad as for the Lily.

The show itself is pretty much the same as Glasgow, just on a larger scale, like Goodie has already said. The main differences will be that you will see the Virtual Queue System used more, and there'll be two photo areas and two talk areas. I think Glasgow always only had one each. Also the talks will be ticketed, you will need to pick up a ticket from a table near the talk area in the morning. As far as I remember Glasgow didn't have any tickets for talks.

Oh dear sounds like a big boo boo and booked and paid for via Thomas Cook as well........ :blush:

Shame on them for suggesting this to me as a 3 star hotel as well with good reputation.

Well Im certainly going to find a few words to say to them and get my £292 pounds back!!!

Thank you for the input. I shall certainly be making them guarantee the place has changed since 2007, otherwise I will persue them on their recommendation. :)

Thanks for the information!!

I will use it in my converation with them. :)

Ann

xx

Thank you David.

I'm certainly NOT amused. I know nothing of London and this was recommended by them. Utterly disgraceful in my opinion of them to do so.

Oh dear sounds like a big boo boo and booked and paid for via Thomas Cook as well........ :chair:

Shame on them for suggesting this to me as a 3 star hotel as well with good reputation.

Via Thomas Cook and they recommended it? Whoa. That's not what I'd expect from the reports I heard. :blush:

But let me check... If I recall correctly someone from a German forum used it as a last minute place to stay for LFACC 2010. I'll try to get a report and let you know.

thank you Queen Sindel.

I am actuall phoning them at the moment to check if 'improvements' are finished or still ongoing as per those reviews I saw that Tommy kindly linked me to.

*EDIT*

Well aparently the improvements have all been done.

I'm certainly uneasy, although the receptionist sounded nice......after initially a response from a man with poor dialect.

I think I need to speak to Thomas Cook tomorrow.

:)

Edited by anniekins

I'm still reading those reviews.

How can it possibly be allowed to stay open with those conditions. OMG!

Thank you very much everyone for the information. Very much appreciated.

Ann

xx