hotel suggestions

chubbers

Flight, hotel and admission ordered and for the first time of my 10+ years of going to conventions I am going to stay with 200 yards of the convention.

I went to the first Collectormania London in 2009 and the train running once an hour from Earls Court was a drag, so this time I decided to eliminate that factor.

Searching for hotels, there wasn't really a lot to choose from, since I wanted to stay within 500 yards and I have certain features that the hotel must fullfill for me to choose it - and hence it came down to Hilton Olympia. While I would have preffered a hotel with a better review on tripadvisor, then it will have to do, to meet my other demands. But maybe I will be plesantly surprised.

Normally I prefer to stay close to Leicester Square because of the restaurants and shops, but like I wrote - the once-an-hour train is a drag.

I don't know if this can be concidered a suggestion. I don't know Hilton Olympia. This will actually be my first time at any Hilton Hotel. When i did my first searched in mid december the Hilton could be booked for about 230£ for 3 nights. But because I took too long to decide that option was gone and now the hotel is 350£ for 3 nights. Irritating, but since I had set my mind on this one, I sort of had to go with that. I tend to be a bit single minded once my mind is set. :chair:

Anyway - maybe I will see some of you for breakfast?! :blush:

• Moderators

I stayed there for the last show, and I was perfectly happy there.

Granted, I'm not overly fussy with rooms as I don't spend a whole lot of time in them, but the staff were good and the room was a good enough quality. Breakfast was very nice too.

Had one issue with the shower, told the reception and they gave us breakfast for free, so can only say that they dealt well with that.

• Moderators

It's not the cheapest (Hiltons never are!) but for convenience it certainly can't be beat, and the staff were definitely some of the best I've come across at a hotel. I'm sure if I'd had the same problem elsewhere, nothing would've been done.

Ok I'm sold on this recommendation. It certainly pays to do your own detective work. Consider me chastised.

I'm going to get a transfer to the Hilton or the other place mentioned Ibis? All going well. :)

Luckily it's a few months away and not at crisis point yet.

:)

Edited by anniekins

If it's in your budget try the Hilton first, that is a lot closer.

You trusted a well known travel company. Nothing wrong with that. But like you say, it pays to cross check. I learned the hard way too, even the well known organisers are sometimes way too much sold on one property for one reason or the other that's definitely not the best suggestion for their customer.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you to all concerned xxx.

:thumbup:

All sorted and looking very much forward to this! As its my first time down here, I am very excited!!

:D:D:D

Hopefully some of the Dealers will be familiar too. Can i assume it will be the same kind of merchandise on sale here too? Or is there a significant difference? :)

Best wishes

Ann

xx

I have yet to make it to the Glasgow event **shame on myself** so I am probably not the best qualified to reply.

That said I would suspect that there will be more stalls here as I think EMS is larger overall. You will find some are similar (partially because some of them will have been to Glasgow as well). Hopefully there will be a few different ones for you to browse though. It probably won't be hugely different though.

**waits for someone else who has actually attended both and therefore better qualified to reply!**

Yes 1of2 it correct. The vast majority of dealers you get at Glasgow shows will be there at EMS. However EMS will have alot lot more choice. You will have nothing to worry about as soon as you walk into the the doors everything will be very similer to glasgow only alot bigger! Hope you have fun not to long now

See you there

Andrew

Hi

I came to the london show last November and stayed at the Boka Hotel just by Earls Court. The room was nice and clean and the breakfast fine. For a cheap hotel I couldn't fault it.

I think I booked it on the recommendation of some people on here, so thanks. Hope you find somewhere to stay :D

Erin

Thank you so much! xx

I am getting very excited and cannot wait!! :P

Here's hoping for lots of vintage Star Wars figures and graded examples!!

I know its still a little while off.....but this is getting exciting!! :wub::D:D:D

Hi David x

Its always the same with me I get so very excted at the anticipation! I'm like this every time !!

:D:D:D

I cannot wait! :D

Its shaping up nicely with amazing Guests And looking forward to my first experience down here!

:P:wub: