what do you think about meeting classic politicians ?

showmasters

• Showmasters Admin

i think it would be interesting to meet some of the high fliers from the past.

what are your thoughts would you like to meet .

Neil Kinnock

Michael Heseltine

David Dimbleby

David Steel

Robin Day

Margaret Thatcher

Tony Benn

David Owen

John Major

Geoffrey Howe

you never know some might be up for this , would anyone care ? let us know your thoughts .

jason :D

as you can see its happened before so you never know ;)

52629652.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=45B0EB3381F7834D79DD801C033FE6DC4AC04E409A51725F5CAEAACEED08D90F

Personally I think it's better to steer clear of politicians at an event like this. Politics can be quite an emotive issue for a lot of people, and I think certain guests could provoke quite strong reactions from some people, you only have to look at the reactions to Tony Blair's book signings in the summer to see how things could easily get out of hand.

I don't feel that's the way you're gonna draw more people to attend Autographica... Personally, coming from abroad, i don't have any interest in meeting any of those names and i'm pretty sure this applies for all foreign attendees as well... who are more numerous that one can think.

Tbh, of all that list i only know Margaret Thatcher and John Major but i'm not really looking forward to meet them anyway...

Edited by God L'Eponge

I personally think there is a lot of appeal in meeting Margaret Thatcher and John Major.

Lets not turn this whole argument into the same witch hunt that happened with the train robber years ago. These are former Prime Ministers, they are great autographs that many would like in their collections.

It’s the same with anybody else, if you don’t want to pay the money or don’t approve, simply don’t queue up!. Don’t ruin the experience for others who do.

I’m not sure the other cabinet ministers would be as popular though.

Neil Kinnock

Michael Heseltine

David Dimbleby

David Steel

Robin Day

Margaret Thatcher

Tony Benn

David Owen

John Major

Geoffrey Howe

Sir Robin has been dead for 10 years

Neil Kinnock

Michael Heseltine

David Dimbleby

David Steel

Robin Day

Margaret Thatcher

Tony Benn

David Owen

John Major

Geoffrey Howe

Sir Robin has been dead for 10 years

The later i meet him the better! :D

I'd definitely be interested. I already have a small collection of political autographs and I know there is a huge market for it. I'd love to see some American political guests. I attended a book signing by President Jimmy Carter a few years ago and the queues were absolutely massive!!! Ditto for Bill Clintons signings over here...

Edited by keithporter23

Whatever your political colour, Thatcher was one of the greats. She is not now physically up to doing this kind of show, so you can rule her out Have there really been any other greats since her time - people who stand out as wonderful leaders? I have mixed views on that one.

After the recent expenses debacle, I'm afraid politicians leave a sour taste. I would probably avoid them, but that wouldn't stop the pleasure to be gained from meeting astronauts / cosmonauts.

On further reflection, I would consider Tony Benn to be one of the greats.

Edited by descartes

Personally I think it's better to steer clear of politicians at an event like this. Politics can be quite an emotive issue for a lot of people, and I think certain guests could provoke quite strong reactions from some people, you only have to look at the reactions to Tony Blair's book signings in the summer to see how things could easily get out of hand.

I'm with Count Fooku - politicians can be extremely divisive. I know that Thatcher's health is declining, and no matter how desirable her signature a lot of people could have issues there, and the same goes for many other politicos.

Bill Clinton would be brilliant!

Seconded - having met him twice already, he's a very approachable, friendly person. i don't know what it would cost to get him to attend Autographica for a day though - although i'm positive he would be busy signing constantly if he did attend...

Edit: how about General Norman Schwarzkopf Jr? Military and political all in one.

Edited by keithporter23

Ah yes the snobbery has come into play already. Every time we get a Harry Potter guest, the announcement gets peppered with "Daniel Radcliffe please" ..... and the equivalent happens for any of the franchises. Similarly, people are already sniffy about anyone below PM, which is a shame.

I'd be much more interested in former politicians than Astros and war veterans. Maggie might be able to do a few hours one afternoon !! It would depend on individual guests whether I would meet them or not, as opposed to their party, but I'd certainly be interested ....

Got to agree with the Count. Not interested in them myself but some might take it as a chance to 'air their views' so security would be a headache. The Blair fiasco in Dublin is an example.

Does anyone remember Clinton having a pint in Birmingham just after he had left the White House? After he had finished his beer the Secret Service took his pint glass so it could be destroyed.

Personally I wouldn't want to undergo a cavity check on the way into the event :WINCE:

Not interested. Stick with people who've achieved something worthwhile or given pleasure

I think you'll find there are probably a lot of political figures who may have achieved worthwhile things......admittedly not all, but some :dance:

Edited by keithporter23

Have to agree - whilst I'd be interested in meeting them, I think that the security considerations would be more of a pain than it would be worth (and I would imagine that both the cost and security for a former US President would be immense). To be honest, I'd rather really hear politicians speak and answer questions, than just get their signature, which is moving further away from what you do. I'd love to hear a couple of great speakers like Heseltine and Benn exchange opinions and receive questions for an hour, but that's not necessarily your bag. And I certainly don't see it as being a guaranteed way of boosting attendance.

Perhaps some other ideas might be people who were there at pivotal points of history, e.g. Trevor Lock, the policeman held in the Iranian Embassy siege, Rex Hunt who was governor of the Falklands when they were invaded. Not a necessarily huge attendance booster, but less likely to cause security hassles. And if you're after another WWII veteran with an interesting story, try Tony Hibbert.

agreed! please try to keep to your usual type of guests.The thought of putting money into the pockets of politicians is a complete turn off.