an important message from Jason, Paul & Dave

showmasters

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm offering some thoughts below - not particularly criticisms, but rather thoughts (some of which I have raised before) about barriers that might impact on people attending.

I'm not quite sure that Autographica/Showmasters fully appreciate the economic conditions at the moment. People are losing their jobs, everything is increasing in price, those who have jobs are seeing hours/wages cut. People are being squeezed. Events like these are luxuries. When you're being squeezed the luxuries are the first to go. People can't support every event when the market is incredibly crowded.

I was made redundant six weeks ago, though various other things this year (such as the threat or being sacked, spiralling personal debt and cuts in wages) have meant I have had to cut down on the number of events I go to - and when I do be very selective about what I spend my limited money on. There have been a number of occasions this year when I cannot justify spending the money on autographs from people attending the shows, because they just haven't been worth it.

Just because a guest is "rare" or a "first timer" doesn't mean they are worth the £15 which they often charge. For people who are effectively background artistes in franchises such as Bond or Star Wars to be charging £15+ is, in my opinion (and the opinion of many others I attend the shows with) silly. I know you have to pay for their accommodation, time, travel etc - but time and time again the costs seem excessive. This puts people off attending, and - if they do attend - may result in them spending their money in the dealers room rather than on the guests. I've known that happen countless times - not just with me, but with my friends who also attend.

Added to this, there is barely a weekend without some sort of autograph event somewhere in the coutry. There are a limited number of people doing this hobby. Given the choice, people do have to make decisions about what else is happening, and it may just be that other events offer people what they want, over and above what Showmasters/Autographica offer. I've said this before, too - I think that the events are spead too thinly. Autographica and Collectormania used to stand alone in the schedule (along with other key biannual events run by others). But now they're crowded out, not only by events run by others, but by Showmasters' other events. Regardless of whether Autographica is a "high point" in the calendar, if it is scheduled close to another event which people may go to, then there may be choices involved.

Focusing, it seems, solely on London and the South East is also a problem for many people. I know that Autographica splits its events between London and Birmingham, and there are events in Scotland, but even travelling to Birmingham is a big commitment to many. For those of us in the north of England, attending these events often means a 200 or 400 mile round trip. It can often cost c.£100 before we have even got into the event. This may act as a barrier to even attempting to get to the event.

• Moderators

I think any organiser is aware that things like location, timing, demand etc are all factors but is there ever going to be a perfect venue or time to have an event? I don't think so. Autographica aims itself at quite a different market to the other events, so I think it has its place in the calendar regardless of what else is on offer.

No business can stop selling just because times are hard. Jason & co keep prices down where they can, but it can't be overly detrimental to them either. There's not huge profits over the events for them, and that's even with the prices as 'high' as some people seem to think they are.

It's always going to be more difficult for people who are interested in a whole range of things, as they'll have to be more selective.

I attended every Autographica from Coventry 2004 to Birmingham 2009 and enjoyed every show immensley. The show which combined Autographica/Collectormania was one of my favourites... VERY wide selection of guests across a broad spectrum of genre's. I've had the pleasure of meeting:

Scott Carpenter

Ed Mitchell

Al Worden

Charlie Duke

Valentina Tereshkova

Valeri Bykovsky

Buzz Aldrin

Dick Gordon

Jack Lousma

Vladimir Dzhanibekov

Valeri Kubasov

Yuri Romaneko

Rusty Schweickart

Brian Binnie

Yuri Onufrienko

Anatoli Artebarsky

Jim Lovell

Fred Haise

Sy Liebergot

Eric Brown

Salizhan Sharipov

Alan Bean

Gene Cernan

Brigitte Nielsen

Katie Downes

Rhian Sugden

Jenny Agutter

Madeline Smith

Caroline Munro

Martine Beswick

Mollie Peters

Maryam d'Abo

Alexei Leonov

Jim McDivitt

Dave Scott

Luciana Paluzzi

Bruce McCandless

Helen Sharman

Dave Prowse

Kenny Baker

George Kennedy

Ernest Borgnine

Mickey Rooney (the least satisfying encounter ever though it has to be said!!)

George Lazenby

Joie Vejavija

Ke Huy Quan

Leonora Crichlow

Sir Henry Cooper

Tom Stafford

Sir Stirling Moss

Ursula Andress

And countless WWII veterans!

The main reason I attended was for the space guests... but as I've also attended two large US shows (Spacefest and the first ASF show) for me I now need a MAJOR guest to make it worth MY while to attend. I was blown away when Jim McDivitt and Tom Stafford were announced and even drove down to Birmingham for the latter when my flight from Edinburgh was cancelled the morning I was due to fly. I won't book for next years show until I know there are guests I WANT to meet. Space-guest-wise if you can pull off one of the following I'll be there with bells on:

John Glenn

Bill Anders

Neil Armstrong

Michael Collins

Ken Mattingly

And how about an ALT program reunion (Fred Haise, Gordon Fullerton, Joe Engle and Dick Truly)? That would be an AWESOME line-up!!

I also would like to see John Glenn,Bill Anders,Neil Armstrong,Michael Collins and Ken Mattingly but I would also enjoy meeting some of the shuttle astronauts and some Cosmonauts and how about the recent Chinese venture in to space?Concorde related guests would also go down well with me .

I can't remember how many Autographicas I've a ttended but have always enjoyed them even with the guest cancellations. I'm glad that the Radisson Edwardian is going to be the Heathrow venue in futre the Thistle was a dump! I'll be buying my tickets now Christmas is out the way

I've always Loved the entire concept of Autographica, select and relaxed - never a Crowd/Endless Queues Issues. Consequently, for these factors It's almost a victim of it's own being; without a Killer Headline/Mainstream Guest - Big Numbers will not attend.

For me at least, Dream Guests within Realistic limits would be; Sean Bean, Timothy Dalton and Sir Ian McKellan (if You've met Sir Christopher Lee, Sir Roger Moore and Patrick Stewart - the aforementioned are by default to be considered realistic). No doubt SM have approached these Stars previously, but these are the Calibre of Guests that would 'Clear My Schedule' at Any Cost. The last time I witnessed this fever was Ursula Andress' 1st Appearance, Every Serious 007 Fan made the Pilgrimage irrespective of Timing and Costs.

Over the last 10 Years, I have been Lucky enough to meet Sir Norman Wisdom, Tony Curtis and the Elusive Val Kilmer... Autographica is the BEST in Show, Long may it continue - BIG Thanks to Jason, David and Paul

• Showmasters Admin

thank you for all your input , we do understand its hard out there and thats why we ask you all to help us keep this show alive , its in hard times like this that we all need to help each other if we want to keep events like this going , we are fully behind this show and love running it , but we do need help in getting he word out to other people that like these events , we are working on guests every day and we will have some new names coming us soon , so when they do come up any help you can give would help the event and keep this show going so we have more events in the future and a chance for you to keep seeing some amazing guest you would not get to see at any other event , as Autographica is a unique event were some guest would only go to , we have had the chance to meet some rare guests that are no longer with us now and that is why this event is important to get behind and help keep it going .

thanks for all your help in promoting this great show .

more guests to come soon

jason ;)

• 2 weeks later...

thank you for all your input , we do understand its hard out there and thats why we ask you all to help us keep this show alive , its in hard times like this that we all need to help each other if we want to keep events like this going , we are fully behind this show and love running it , but we do need help in getting he word out to other people that like these events , we are working on guests every day and we will have some new names coming us soon , so when they do come up any help you can give would help the event and keep this show going so we have more events in the future and a chance for you to keep seeing some amazing guest you would not get to see at any other event , as Autographica is a unique event were some guest would only go to , we have had the chance to meet some rare guests that are no longer with us now and that is why this event is important to get behind and help keep it going .

thanks for all your help in promoting this great show .

more guests to come soon

jason :D

I have to say that even when i have had cause to raise a point about something i allways appreciate the hard work and effort that goes into these shows.Without you guys i would never have met the likes of Tony Curtis and leslie neilsen, i will allways be grateful. I don't allways see eye to eye with showmasters on certain things and some people who post here but it would be a shame if these events were no longer on the calender. If things get harder then scale down for awhile, i would rather have that than nothing at all. keep up the good work.

I'd just have to say I agree with KethPorter on his first post. The one and only thing that tempts me is guests, and only really guests from film and tv. I won't commit to any event just for the atmosphere, or to meet up with friends etc. I wasn't even planning going to the next Collectormania London, until Nicole, Jennifer and Walter were announced, and now I am attending. Bottom line is guests bring attendees

Totally 100% agree with this.