Dennis Lawson

verem

Firstly thanks for getting Dennis Lawson to the event.

I know people get upset that a signing is too brief or they dont get an autograph because the waiting times or they dont get the opportunity to take a picture with the celeb.

But Dennis Lawson managed to happily sign stuff for me, I got a pic, he was friendly and shook my hand and it didnt take too long (Hate taking long if theres a queue because everyone should get their autos etc and its a bit selfish).

I was there all day and his queue was constantly busting and full- he must have been blitzed by the end of it.

The Showmasters staff member by the photos taking the cash was chatty and helpful as was the one next to Dennis Lawson. Excellantly run queue guys... top marks. And also the guys heading the Queue for Michael Biehn was on the ball and helpful.

How did everyone else find the Dennis Lawson experience?

But Dennis Lawson managed to happily sign stuff for me, I got a pic, he was friendly and shook my hand and it didnt take too long (Hate taking long if theres a queue because everyone should get their autos etc and its a bit selfish).

The reason the queue wasn't moving when I joined was because there were people getting dozens of things signed each. I think dealers worldwide were determined to make the most of this rare signing, at the expense of the average fan who just wanted one or two autos. I realise Showmasters is not wanting to limit the number of autographs if they are earning £20 a time from them, but I would have thought some sort of limit would have prevented people going up with 25+ items to get signed.

Normally it is a 5 item limit, that is correct.

I can't find the post right now, but if I recall correctly Jason had said that the limit wouldn't be in place for this guest.

I can tell from my own experience that certainly not everyone who had tons of stuff was a dealer. "Can you help me?" requests were posted like crazy on autograph collectors and Star Wars forums. If I hadn't been on crutches I would have had a fair amount of posters to carry myself because about a dozen people begged me for help.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

it became apparent these were genuine fans collecting on behalf of other fans then it was hard to be too annoyed.

I was asked by a few people around the world, but the postage/insurance unknowns scared me a bit. So I pointed them in Derek's direction.

The only thing that would have been better would have been had he had a gold pen, all my other X-Wing pilots are in gold, but I wasn't going to hold up the queue

I was also in his queue for ages purely because of someone that had about 20 posters getting signed. Don't know if it was a dealer, or whatever but I and everyone else in the queue around me thought it was a joke. There was only about 5 people in front of me and it took about 25 mins for me to get to the front.

The one with the posters was unique, but almost EVERYONE else had 5 items at least. Thats why after signing for about 3 hours he still was only upto 80 VTs.

Yvie seemed pretty relieved when she asked how many autos I wanted, replying 'one please' she exclaimed 'thank god!' lol

Hi

I thought the queue moved really well and everyone around us had an item or two.

There were people near the front with multiple items, but even this moved quickly as well.

Denis was really nice and it was great to meet him.

We all know he was there for Star Wars but if you haven't seen it before, then check out the film "Local Hero" with Burt Lancaster. He's the male lead in this and in my opinion it's his strongest role to date.

I agree to an earlier post, this queue was handled very well.

Steve

I really didnt realise that people were taking 20 items plus!!!.... I only had my poster done and a pic for a mate of mine. My friend was with me (dressed as a stormtrooper) and got his helmet (ahem) signed.

I hate holding queues up because its not fair on people waiting.

Hopefully Dennis had a good experience and may change his mind and do more conventions.

I really didnt realise that people were taking 20 items plus!!!.... I only had my poster done and a pic for a mate of mine. My friend was with me (dressed as a stormtrooper) and got his helmet (ahem) signed.

Hopefully Dennis had a good experience and may change his mind and do more conventions.

It was the people getting about 20 items signed that made me think that Denis will never do something like this again!

I went up with one item, and had it personalised, and he was very pleasant, but I can't even imagine how he felt just being handed about 20 posters and just being asked to sign them. If I were the guest, I would just feel that people are wanting to make money from me, and I know a lot of people were the same, going up with about 5 photos and just getting a signature on them. Do people not enjoy just meeting someone they admire and getting an item or two signed?!

• Moderators

To be fair, if anyone's going to be having multiple things signed, it's Star Wars fans. I know many who have a lot of items to get done, and spend ridiculous amounts.

No doubt there were a fair few dealers, but there were definitely fans there too with huge numbers of items.

It was the people getting about 20 items signed that made me think that Denis will never do something like this again!

I went up with one item, and had it personalised, and he was very pleasant, but I can't even imagine how he felt just being handed about 20 posters and just being asked to sign them. If I were the guest, I would just feel that people are wanting to make money from me, and I know a lot of people were the same, going up with about 5 photos and just getting a signature on them. Do people not enjoy just meeting someone they admire and getting an item or two signed?!

Dennis seemed chatty as well but imagine signing 20 items.... the conversation is gonna dry up. Getting 20 items signed possibly means someone is going to make money out of it. It is a shame if real fans then miss out on a signature but how could this be monitored??? If you limited the number of items then other people who were getting autos for mates would also lose out. Tough one to remedy..... and as far as the takings go it doesnt matter financially if 1 person gets 100 items signed or 100 people all get 1 item done.

As long as everyone who wanted an auto from Denis got one then no harm was done THIS TIME.

But to be fair to all attendees the 5 auto rule should be enforced as someone taking ages holding the line up could prevent other fans from even getting one autograph.

I know that some who got multiple autos travelled a long way and were getting other multi signed items on behalf of other people, but if Denis had been a slow signer there would of been many dissapointed people.

Normally this isn't a problem, think Leonard Nimoy had similar large 'multiple signed items' from some people, however he is able to sign extremely fast and in Denis' case there was a large number of posters being signed which obviously take longer to move etc than 10x8's.

Something to consider next time, purley to give everyone attending the chance to get something signed.

i found the queues very slow moving, got there at 9.15 and my ticket was 109 and that seemed to take forever to get up into the 100's but it was fantastic to finally meet him and he was a great guest, the crew were trying to hurry everyone along cos of the size of the queue but he was chatty and i almost got a pic with him at the table with me shaking his hand but the crew lady came up and started to hurry us up, at least i got my photo shoot with him, i hope he comes back and would come back and maybe be part of one of the talks

also he seem quite impressed with my "wedge is my wingman t-shirt" :lol:

Proves that first time Star Wars signer guests are extremely popular and profitable for convention organisers.

I remember when they first announced there would be a first time guest who had a voice part in the original trilogy and made the reference "it will be a day long remembered". MAny people (yeah me to) thought it was gonna be James Earl Jones.

Can you imagine what it would have been like if it was James Earl Jones I think the queues would have been crazy.

I was waiting in line (I was the last numbered ticket before it went to open Q) for some time thanks to somebody a few people ahead getting a dozen or so posters signed and then discussing every single one. When I got to him I had the chance to say a quick hi while he signed my single photo but then before I had chance to say anymore the next person's item was being placed in front of Denis. I've been to enough cons to know and respect how it works with popular guests - I'm not debating that - all I'm saying is the queue had died down and I don't think it's fair that somebody who was holding up the queue (hey, if they're paying, I still don't know I agree with restrictions on numbers of autos allowed) is allowed to pause between each item being signed to discuss at length the artwork or whatever while somebody with only one or two items is barely given chance to breathe before they're pushed aside...That was really my only tiny, non-important complaint though and just how I felt.

Denis, however, was an honour to meet, very friendly and down-to-earth. I'm looking forward to seeing him in his upcoming projects :)

Geez, i realised that there was no limit to the items to be signed when the guy (luckily) behind me in Biehn's queue had 29 items to be signed!!

29!!!

(as i'm used to the "3 items maxi" german rule, it was my second day queuing for signatures from Michael, as i had 4 to be signed (mine plus 3 gifts for friends)... would i have known, i would have had all 4 signed in one go!!)

There really should be a rule against so many items per person...

(as i'm used to the "3 items maxi" german rule, it was my second day queuing for signatures from Michael, as i had 4 to be signed (mine plus 3 gifts for friends)... would i have known, i would have had all 4 signed in one go!!)

Just for future reference, for SM events the limit has always been 5 if there's a limit at all. Only the ME weekend shows have a different limit.

I was abit annoyed with this!! this is the only thing i have to gumble about!! I was stood in that queue for nearly 1 hour because a bunch of americans got over 46 items signed!! every so often they would push in and pay for another 1 and go straight to the front of the queue, I only wanted 1, very annoyed that they could keep pushing to the front. They should have queued every time like the rest of us had to!!! and also Denis was happily posing for photos at the desk until the americans came along, by the time he got to me he said no, yet there were no signs up!! i think this was poorly down an should have been set up differently with either no photos from the start and a limit to how many u can get, or even a special dealers time so then can get lots down, so we dont have to wait and get arsy with them while they do it!!!!!!!!

sorry rant over - just really peed me off!!!!!

I dont normally winge so sorry

tom

• Showmasters Admin

hi al some things i think are important for you to be aware of .

Denis had a good time with us , its not something he wants to do a lot and really he did it to meet the fans and give something back .

he was well aware that fans from all over the world wanted his auto on there items and he was also well aware that one of two people had gathered up all these fans items and brought them over to the uk to get them signed for them , thats why one of two people had 20 , 30 , even 40 items to get signed , we helped these people as in a way they also make this signing happen as we did have to pay out a lot to get Denis as a guest the only time he has done this in the world .

one last point

"Adam" "Proves that first time Star Wars signer guests are extremely popular and profitable for convention organisers."

i would like to point out that no other organisers in the world official Star Wars con or other wise has ever had Denis as a gust we really had to come up to the bar to make this happen so to think we made lots of money from this is not true we plan to brake even over the hole show and if we do this than great , and if we get to meet some of the guests we want to meet then all is good , we are all fans here to and working with and meeting guests is one part of why we all do what we do here and working with Denis made my year ;-)

Jason

hi al some things i think are important for you to be aware of .

Denis had a good time with us , its not something he wants to do a lot and really he did it to meet the fans and give something back .

he was well aware that fans from all over the world wanted his auto on there items and he was also well aware that one of two people had gathered up all these fans items and brought them over to the uk to get them signed for them , thats why one of two people had 20 , 30 , even 40 items to get signed , we helped these people as in a way they also make this signing happen as we did have to pay out a lot to get Denis as a guest the only time he has done this in the world .

one last point

"Adam" "Proves that first time Star Wars signer guests are extremely popular and profitable for convention organisers."

i would like to point out that no other organisers in the world official Star Wars con or other wise has ever had Denis as a gust we really had to come up to the bar to make this happen so to think we made lots of money from this is not true we plan to brake even over the hole show and if we do this than great , and if we get to meet some of the guests we want to meet then all is good , we are all fans here to and working with and meeting guests is one part of why we all do what we do here and working with Denis made my year ;-)

Jason

Just to reiterate what I said when I started the post. Well Done guys for getting him. But you realise the challenge you now have is because you have set the bar so high, so to speak, you gotta try and beat this next year.... James Earl Jones maybe???.

Harrison Ford!!!!!

Anyways cheers for getting him and whether people had a bit of a wait or if others were a bit selfish with holding up the queues I think , generally, most people are glad that you did get Denis here.

Well Done guys for getting him. But you realise the challenge you now have is because you have set the bar so high, so to speak, you gotta try and beat this next year.... James Earl Jones maybe???.

Harrison Ford!!!!!

Some of the fans who were able to would have tried Mr. Jones when he was in theatre here, he was most generous; his son helped fans all he could.

Ian McDiarmid would probably the next best impossible guest to aim for. If he respects Denis (another rather sucessful stage and TV actor) and heard he'd be talked into a one-off, he might be willing to do the same.

Or there's Denis' nephew :D