Leslie Nielsen

denis007

Hi all,

Last year I had the opportunity to meet Leslie Nielsen. To me, he was an awesome comedian and I will miss him greatly. He was kind, generous, friendly and he talked to me like he always knew me. I send all my condolences to his family and I would like to take this opportunity to thank Autographica for the incredible hard work and give us the chance to meet these legends. And Nielsen was one of them! A Giant Among Others! As Ernest Borgnine said to me when I met him a couple years ago: Keep watching! With Leslie Nielsen on the forefront of the news (as a Hollywood Legend), I will keep watching! From all the fans around the world: Thank you for being you and making us laugh all these years! Your fans, truly!

Edited by denis007

I got the pleasure of Meeting him at Autographica and he was a true gent, cracking jokes, happy to talk, his photo shoot was even funnier where he kept grabbing people and pulling them closer to him and then shouting things and his talk was amazing, he kept getting a bit muddled but he was awesome and a true legend and I and im sure alot of his other fans will miss him dearly, as he was a reat actor, comedian and generally a great person.

RIP leslie Nielson!!

I really only attend Autographica for the Astronauts and aviators: but I spent a really enjoyable ten minutes with Mr Nielsen at the A15 drinks reception. He was genuinely funny and really approachable, He quizzed me on my knowledge of 'Police Squad' and 'Airplane' and even did the shirley / surely gag!

Edited by shearwater

Met Leslie at A15..while I too am mainly interested in the space/aviation guests Leslie was my favourite actor and it was an absolute honour to meet him. He was extremely approachable and funny - especially during the photoshoot! :lol:

And I was in the 2nd row of his lecture which was a real pleasure.

A lovely man who will be missed by many all over the world - must watch Airplane! tonight in tribute..

I am shocked and hear the very sad news to the legend, I was so lucky to meet him earlier this year and he was asking how i was and what leslie's films is my favourite. i am so glad that i drove 120 miles altogether to meet leslie Nielsen and got photoshoot with him. My thought goes with Leslie's Family and his friends. R.I.P Leslie and......don't call me shirley!

I too met Leslie at A15. I was really honoured to meet him - he signed my Forbidden Planet one sheet, which is funnily enough at the framers as we speak. I enjoyed The Naked Gun, but FP was different gravy entirely - without a doubt the greatest sci-fi film ever made.

I'll be a bit more pragmatic than others and say that, charitably, he was a very old man at A15. The talk was quite uncomfortable for all concerned I think - including the organizers. For me it was a sad reminder that time does not stand still.

Thanks Dave and Jason for giving us the opportunity to meet him. RIP Leslie.

I met Leslie at the Autographica, but I was also fortunate to meet him in the early 1990s. He was a class act. I've been a fan of all his work, from The Naked Guns/Police Squad, to Airplane!, to Forbidden Planet... not to mention that he appeared in almost all my favourite TV shows of the 1960s, such as The Fugitive, The Man From UNCLE, Route 66, The Wild Wild West... the list goes on and on.

I remember being sat in the restaurant at the hotel when he was brought in in his wheelchair, and feeling overwhelmingly sad - I knew at that point it was the last time I'd see him.

I put the Police Squad DVD on last night as a little tribute - it's still laugh out loud funny! There was a scene where he and Ed go to visit a victim's widow, and he tells her, "We're very sorry, ma'am. We would've come sooner, but your husband wasn't dead then."

I'm thankful for the body of work Mr. Nielsen left behind, and I feel privileged I got the chance to meet him.

II remember being sat in the restaurant at the hotel when he was brought in in his wheelchair, and feeling overwhelmingly sad - I knew at that point it was the last time I'd see him.

Agreed - I had the same feeling. It was obvious that we wouldn't be seeing him again. Very sad. I actually came up to Birmingham on the Saturday, waited all day, and he went off at 2:30 ish feeling very tired, so I missed him. I came up again on the Sunday because I knew this was the last chance to meet him - and so it proved. Fortunately I got to him around 1:30 ish.

By the way, can a mod correct the spelling mistake in the thread title please?

Edited by MikeDonovan

MikeDonovan - That moment knocked me sideways a little - when he was signing, he seemed to be just as he always was, just a little older; but when I saw him later, outside of the hall, he looked so old and frail. I know the day probably took it out of him, but the two encounters were so totally at different ends of the spectrum.

MikeDonovan - That moment knocked me sideways a little - when he was signing, he seemed to be just as he always was, just a little older; but when I saw him later, outside of the hall, he looked so old and frail. I know the day probably took it out of him, but the two encounters were so totally at different ends of the spectrum.

I have to agree with you guys. He did look frail when walking/being wheeled around the hotel and indeed during the talk - but when he was signing and especially during the photoshoot he was the usual funny,charming Leslie we all know and love..

He will be missed!

I was never lucky enough to meet the man, the legend but i must note his passing.

As a boy i used to chuckle at his antic in Airplane and as an adult i found the beauty that is FP.

I understand all the previous posts where Leslie was described as frail and old looking...alas it comes to us all, what i take heart from was that you all say he was still a true gent and professional.... a man who loved to meet his fans....

Alas we loose another great, this is way Shownmasters is so important...they let people like you and me meet our hero's all the time...yes they may be older but they will always have a place in our hearts.

RIP Mr Neilsen

Edited by Goodie586

• Showmasters Admin

i am just so please i did get to meet him

i went on my first date with Andrea to see naked gun 2 1/2 and had a great time , and i loved his work, really funny man to the end .

and i know he was a little unwell at the show but he did say to me he love meeting all the people as you could tell he just loved making people laugh

a good man

jason

• 5 weeks later...

anne francis from forbidden planet has just passed away.

anne francis from forbidden planet has just passed away.

just noticed its been put on general chat.

If memory serves, she had been battling lung cancer for a while - and to be honest, lung cancer isn't one of the survivable cancers. Very sad.