Airsoft and othe imitation firearms....

darkrecall

Hi,

Thought I would start this topic rolling.....:D

What is the Hiltons policy on Airsoft guns and other realistic imitation firearms?

Although I only carried one for about 30mins the whole weekend a number of people had them all weekend.

Can we get word on whether they are permitted or will we all have to sport exotic alien arsenals????? :poki:

last time (7.4) there was a scare at the airport so people were advised not to bring replica guns so not to scare the other patrons of the hotel or upset the airport authoritys.

however i don't know about this time, it maybe we find out on the day as anything may change about security then.

alien wepons are always fine every time as no one reconises them (execpt us)

Yes at chevron 7.4 real looking wepons were a big no no! This time I would say it would be the same as it is an airport hotel, and they have to be very strict. So strict they cant even have bins in the public areas so walking around with a P90 and side arm not the best of ideas. So get your zats and staff weapons at hand :WINCE:

Edited by mojoe

What is the Hiltons policy on Airsoft guns and other realistic imitation firearms?

Hotel policy aside, I would have thought that anywhere in the public areas of the hotel (i.e where non-convention hotel guests can go or see) would be a potential legal problem.

Of course, you could always ring the Hilton and ask to speak to the manager to find out the lie of the land...

I was raising this as a number of people I spoke to at 7.5 were planning their load out for RDA - ie classic MP5 etc.

Just wanted this clarified before people started spending big money for the event and then be disappointed.

On the matter of carrying Realistic imitation firearms(RIF) in public - as long as notices are placed warning the public and usually the local constabulary are informed I have had no problems both as an airsofter and during my time training cadet forces.

Calling the Hilton does seem like a good suggestion. Seeing it is an airport hotel (and close to the airport at that) I would assume they are generally more strict.

I was raising this as a number of people I spoke to at 7.5 were planning their load out for RDA - ie classic MP5 etc.

Just a word of warning: a guest may request that there are no imitation weapons or anything looking remotedly real being brought in the photoshoot, even if the general cosplay/hotel rules say it's okay to walk around with them.

If I recall correctly you were not allowed to bring P90 weapons and similar stuff into Claudia Black's photo shoot at LFACC, and I know that at one other show crew did ask cosplayers to not bring any weapons into Ben Browder's photoshoot.

Maybe Mark can have this clarified in advance, but I am really not sure if this is possible.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

• 2 weeks later...

Any news on this yet? I've only got a P90 and Beretta and do not own a Zat or Staff weapon so if I can't bring the BB's I may not bother with the whole costume as it just does not look the same! :unsure:

The best thing to do is to phone the hotel and ask them

Not really, this is question that the event organisers need to source the answer for. If they call the hotel, they will probably be able to clear things through the events manager that the hotel has allocated them. If we call up, the staff are simply going to go "What? Are you nuts?".

In this day and age, these things need to be sorted out officially.

I will change the topic title to ask ME to read and check for you, but as Queen Sindell says, anything looking too realistic could be a problem, and I agree, it wouldnt hurt if you rang the hotel and asked if they had a policy on realistic weapons being brought in.

As it is near an airport, it could be a problem

Edited by Rhianydd

• 1 month later...

Any news on this yet? I want to ring up and ask the hotel but I think Kelspook is right, it should be SM who ask this question!

Oh and one more thing, with RDA can you bring in props for the photo shoot. Will not be any form of weapon just something else I have in mind!!

Edited by wabit

I'm afraid if you want a reply right away you're really best off calling yourself.

I'm pretty sure they'll confirm the "no" though for the reasons given in this thread.

If the staff on the phone is giving you trouble just ask for the event manager responsible for Chevron. That has worked fine for me in the past.

The prop thing may also only be decided on the day for definite. Things can happen that make RDA change his mind.

If it's something harmless like a teddybear it should be possible. But anything weapon like or more complicated I'd personally expect also to be a "no" for sure.

I'm afraid if you want a reply right away you're really best off calling yourself.

I'm pretty sure they'll confirm the "no" though for the reasons given in this thread.

If the staff on the phone is giving you trouble just ask for the event manager responsible for Chevron. That has worked fine for me in the past.

The prop thing may also only be decided on the day for definite. Things can happen that make RDA change his mind.

If it's something harmless like a teddybear it should be possible. But anything weapon like or more complicated I'd personally expect also to be a "no" for sure.

Ok will do thanks. Looks like it may well be base uniform then, suppose it'll help on the weight of suitcase if no gun's allowed! Sucks though, as I think the guns make the look. Will try to ring sometime this week and when I find out I'll post it on here!!

Its amusing how the hotels at heathrow never have a problem with replica weapons, or even real ones when it comes to swords (ive seen people running around with real knives and swords before!), yet birmingham which im sure is SO much more of a security threat doesnt generaly like them.. :blush:

I think its a case of though the heathrow hotels are used to it now and have been for years, whereas birmingham/northampton its a pretty new thing for them.

for Heathrow you'd have to walk half a marathon to get to the actual terminal.

And long before you got to the terminal you would have encountered numerous law-enforcement personnel who were both alerted and equipped to taser or shoot you :blush:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Last time I spoke to Jason about this he said it should be Ok seeing as we're the only convention going on over the weekend (so no wedding guests to upset)...

Some guidance would be appreciated though as I don't fancy lugging half my SG kit to Brum to find I have to leave it in a hotel room... It really shouldn't be up to us to go and find out ourselves from the hotel...

Mind you, if weapons are banned (as happened at the last Chevron at the Hilton) I may just bin the whole costume thing as costuming without signature weaponary just looks odd...

:thumbup:

• Showmasters Admin

The issue is like last time we could say yes, but then at the last minute the threat level is raised at the airport and the hotel bans them.

I'm afraid whatever the answer is now, there is always the chance it will change on the day anyway.

• 4 weeks later...