Sheraton Rip Off - Help Please

nickysgirl77

Hi

I stayed at the Sheraton this weekend as I was told the hotel was much nicer (and cheaper) than the Thistle. I agree that the room was nicer and I saved nearly £70 on what I could have paid at the Thisle.

However....

What I wasn't expecting was that when I checked in, the hotel swiped my card and held the price of the room (£159) plus an extra £50 a night for anything you may ordered whilst staying at the hotel, internet, mini-bar etc.

Now I have never heard of this before and when I checked my bank balance on Saturday morning it was showing £309 being missing from my account. When I complained to the hotel they explained what this was - £159 + £150 sundries for the 3 nights I stayed, but they never explained this when they took my card at check-in.

I had very little money to spend this weekend anyway and having a extra £150 taken wasn't helping. Anyway I was assured that when I checked out, the bill would be deducted and the money put back on my card. I have just checked this morning and it is still showing £309 missing!!!! :firedevil::D

I have phoned the Sheraton this morning and they have told me it will take 5 days for the money to go back on my card. I have other bills to pay for and can't afford for this to happen. When I complained I got told this was standard procedure and I would have to accept it.

Has anyone else had this happen? I have been staying in hotels for many years doing conventions etc and I have never experienced this before. :angry:

I wouldn't normally rant but I will not be staying at the Sheraton again

Any advice :help:

Erin

xx

P.S the whole weekend was fab apart from this :clap:

Hi,

I stayed at the Sheraton for the second time. Our room was already pre-paid for, so we didnt have to hand them a card or anything but they did ask if we had one for any extras, mini bar etc. My mum told them she didnt have her card (which was true) and that we wouldnt need any extras. They said that it was okay and we could pay as we go.

We checked out easily and wasnt charged for anything extra, so we had a really good stay.

Im sorry that you had a bad experiance and i hope it didnt ruin your weekend too much. Next year the con is moving to the Radisson, i think so there will be other hotels to stay in near there.

I actually think that this is a normal practive for hotels if you give them a debit rather than a credit card. The best way round this (not that it helps you now) is to do as Lynn suggested and check what they want to charge you and tell them to block any charges other than the cost of the room. If you can use a credit card then this doesn't arise as they do not actually charge anything until you check out.

This is standard at a lot of hotels unfortunately. Again, no help now but I have a credit card just for this, they don't actually take any money from it just effectively block the amount until you check out. Or like Lynn said, you can ask them to make it a cash paid account. First time it happened to me it really screwed me over, so I feel your pain :D

This actually used to happen a lot at the Thistle. You do have to make sure you say no to them pre-authorizing for room service at a lot of hotels these days. It does normally take a week before it gets unlocked back to you. I can only advise you to go see your bank manager and explain the situation. You may be able to agree for certain things to still get paid out of your account without getting charged overdraft fees or, at least, reduced ones. I've managed to do that before.

Thanks for the info and understanding words people!

I have been in touch with the Sheraton again and spoke to a nice girl in their Accounts, she has agreed to sort this with my bank asap and even apologised.

In future I will make sure I check what they are taking for when I book in, or use a credit card.

Thanks again for the advice :D

Erin

I always use a credit card for this reason but even then sometimes blocking the money can be very uncomfortable if you then get close to your upper limit. In this case, usually I just ask them to pay the bill for the room straight at check-in. Additional expenses (mini-bar, breakfast, whatever), I pay them at the end. That's another possibility. But having a credit card is nearly a must if you wanna stay in an hotel these days.

Ah okay now this is making me nervous :P lol! I used my debit card to book the Hilton for ET5...I was planning on paying in cash anyway...so will I be okay? :WINCE:

Hope everything goes back to where it should be Erin!

Erinnnnnnnnnnnnnn !!!! is that youuuu?! :)

i stayed at the Heathrow lodge....ye get what ye pay for there haha but sure it suits a poor kind of student like me ! how far away is this Radisson anywho ~?!

Yep this is called ringfencing - some hotels do this to ensure you pay your bills and do not do a runner - and yes it always seems to be with debit cards. But you can refuse to allow them to pre authourise. The Hilton in Birmingham tried to do this too me once and I just said no and that I would pay as I went. It is to encourage you to spend on the room as well. Glad you got in touch with the hotel and they have said they will help.

best

K

Edited by Pooks

Indeed I'm not sure you have to accept but on the other hand the hotel might refuse to accept your booking. I don't know what's the legal issue here. If you want to avoid this problem, pay (cash or card) at the beginning for the room. Then pay for the possible rest at the end.

glad i read all this for next time. i stayed at the sheraton this time too and had a great stay. but i prepaid the room on the web cos it was way cheaper. they asked if i wanted to put a card on the account and i just said no... thank god!! but i guess i wll always pre-pay from now on!!

i stayed at the Heathrow lodge....ye get what ye pay for there haha but sure it suits a poor kind of student like me ! how far away is this Radisson anywho ~?!

Yes it is I!!! I think I will follow the student road next time LOL

Yes it is I!!! I think I will follow the student road next time LOL

LOL well it's deffo a good idea :D

however if the Heathrow Lodge isn't so close to the radisson then i may book into there for next year...probably..maybe...depending on price lol

Hi there, we stayed at the Sheraton and apart from the cost of room service it was AMAZING. I pre paid on my card although we were given the option on another website to book and pay cash on leaving. I always make it quite clear with ANY company (and you must say this verbally) that they must not keep your card details on file and that any payment you are making is final. They are quite within their rights to hold room service/mini bar deposits if you didnt have an agreement stating otherwise and yes it can take days to go back in your account. We paid £154 for our room for 3 nights, no extra charges, we paid rooms service in cash and when we checked out they just took our key and said thankyou very much. Done. I would book there again in a heartbeat, on the internet, cheap deal, pre paid with no details held.

Im so sorry this has happened to you. I hope it gets sorted out. x

Hi all

I have just checked my bank balance this morning and all is back to normal :YAHOO:

I just want to thank everyone again for their advice and I will know in future not to make the same mistake again.

Cheers

Erin

:D

aw good am glad ye got it sorted :YAHOO:

i always stay at the premier inn a bit further away, but very reasonable if booked in advance!

us too, we`ve stayed at the sheraton several times and have never had this happen, maybe its a new thing or maybe its becuase we pre paid online?

But the premier inn is great, cheap and less than a mile away from the raddison for next year, if you book in advance its cheaper too!