Passes Idea....

*Midnight*Sun*

I was reading though this thread, we could always get like a passport photo and stick it on the back off our passes.

I didnt antend the con btw, but I thought to say something in this thread.

I was thinking a similar thing. But what do you do when people turn up on the day and say....

I forgotten to get one done.

I forgotten to bring it.

I had it in here, I know I did.

I didn't know I needed one.

I had one but I didn't like it so I throw it away.

What I've got to pay for that as well?

My cat eat mine this morning.

The photo fairies stole mine from my bag.

You mean a photo of me and my 3 mates on holiday isn't OK?

What do you mean it had to be of me?

Dont let my brother read that, as he might use them for his not doing his homework xD

I do get your points, but I just thought to suggest it :).

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way you would be able to do the photo pass would be for the passport photos to be sent to SM before the Event. As Too Tall says if you leave it up to the day you can be sure there will be excuses coming out of peoples ears :s

I really dont like excuess, it sucks, people should just be honest and just say ''I forgot'' instead of making a long list of excueses

When I buy my new NUS card I have to download a photo at the same time (or take one on webcam)! As we buy these tickets at the online shop couldn't you do the same thing? Then your picture goes with your number. People who buy them at uni have them taken with a digital camera and have them done then and there! I know that would cost but like someone said, you could make a small charge for this! If people don't want to pay they need to organise their own picture online!!

May be a problem for ET5 though for those who have already bought them!

The thing with the passes is that they are easier to keep. I like the idea of photos on the passes, but I don't think it'd work, unless maybe you just do it on the Gold & Silver passes, since it is these which people are swapping.

So we're back to badges. Having 3 different coloured badged will cost more, but this weekend definitely showed us how having the different colours works REALLY well and so it maybe worth the extra to have them.

Surely that won't stop people from swapping though =/

It doesn't stop the swapping, but the only thing that will is something non-removeable and as we found this weekend people seemed to hate that.

To be fair, from reading here, only some people seemed to hate it. And I remember reading on the forums that people didn't like the very idea of having gold tickets when they were first introduced for other shows. Doesn't seem to be a problem now. And I guess some people really don't like the cost of gold tickets and would like them to be cheaper. And some people definitely don't like the idea that guests can cancel at any time. I'd be tempted to put wristbands in with those scenarios - yes, it's not ideal, but it's an unfortunate fact of life. As long as there are still people trying to abuse the system (in numbers enough for numerous people to spot and complain, then you guys really have to balance "security" (for want of a better word) with the aesthetics of a pretty pass. And if people can't be trusted to use a pass system, then wristbands it is. Give it a show or two and I think a lot of people would eventually accept it.

Failing that, based on most of the moans I've read, I think an acceptable solution might be to give everybody a pass and a wristband, but say the pass is just a souvenir - and the real means of checking access is the wristband. Don't know what the economics on that look like though, but may not be much more than 3 different batches of coloured badges (and much less than the photopass idea :lol: )

I didn't mind the wristband, apart from it making my wrist itch.

I love the passes and like the idea of having the actual pass the colour to match gold, silver or black for standard.

I even like the idea of just gold and silver having the passes and standard having the wrist bands.

I know there would be lots of trouble at having photos on a pass - but i know i would bring a passport photo if that was what was required... i mean you do bring id with you anyway to collect your packs right??

But then on the other note - how many people lose their reg letters before they get to the reg desk?

It's a wonderful idea and we have thought about it ourselves. There are 2 major draw backs to it.

1: Getting people to send in the pictures. We have enough trouble getting people to put all the names down, trying to make sure 1000+ people send in photos will be a nightmare of a job.

2: Cost. To have passes printed with photos on is about 5 to 10 times more expensive then the current badges. Honestly for the price of them we could get an extra guest.

What about just for the gold as of course they pay a lot more money than others.

I had the same idea. Golds pay that little bit more so give the golds the dogtag passes and standard and silver wristbands.

If standard and silver wanted a souvenir pass, possibly make them available to order to collect at the con but make those ones without a group number so they can't be used to enter talks etc etc.

We were able to get the 3 different coloured wristbands for the same price as the single coloured badges. It made sense to do the swap. The wristbands have turned out to have other issues, mainly that people hate them :D So we're going to stop using them.

So we're back to badges. Having 3 different coloured badged will cost more, but this weekend definitely showed us how having the different colours works REALLY well and so it maybe worth the extra to have them.

So what if people dont like them they worked!!!!! Noone could swap and we all knew who was what when it came to the seats....they are great!

BUT BUT BUT....they are major annoying they need to be on the RIGHT hand sod hygiene reasons noone wipes themselves with their wrist and if they pee on it thats their issue dirty sods :smile: ....I cant dipping mine in my beans but meh :poki:

Overall we are 50/50 on the wristbands. They did work well if put on correctly (mine was so loose, a good fling of my arm and off it flew, had to tie the end's around my bracelet) Seemed to work well when getting photos, none of this having to hide the chain passes out the way for the pic or swapping the pass for friends to get in on a shoot they werent called for but I gotta say in the talks thats where we saw an issue.

Once the lights went off, people were moving up into empty seats because crew wouldnt have seen. Plus when the crew asked to hold our arms up, they were literally scanning. People could have been sunk down in chairs with no arm up and they wouldnt have nessacarily been seen because they were just looking at the wave of wrists flapping about. Unless they went up and checked everybody one by one, there is never going to be a way to fully stop cheeky people from pulling a fast one in the talks.

I think the proposal of gold/silver having a pass and standard's a wristband is a good idea but still not absolute in stopping these problems if for some reason the band isnt put on properly. I think ME are in a no win situation. We want to stop swapping and seat stealing but in this case the alternative solution to that is also as a whole, not popular, so what else can be done? Unless you physically have way more crew to manage every single row in the talks and repeatedly check them like every 10 minutes, I think we will be hard pressed to find a perfect solution.

What about having the seating seperated by those rope or metal barrier thingies? Like having the standard seating seperated from the gold/silver. They wouldnt take up much space and would only have to be managed but like 3 crew members throughout the talks, one each end and one in the middle... obviously when first loading the hall it would take more crew as it does now. But if you leave then the crew members would check your pass when you return to let you in. That way nobody who isnt entitled to sit in those sections could get in! Just an idea, not sure if it could work but maybe combining the two ideas of wristbands for standards etc with the barriers its worth a try :(

I had the same idea. Golds pay that little bit more so give the golds the dogtag passes and standard and silver wristbands.

If standard and silver wanted a souvenir pass, possibly make them available to order to collect at the con but make those ones without a group number so they can't be used to enter talks etc etc.

Yep, gold pay more than silver, but silver pay more than standard and as a whole it seems to be standard people sneaking into places they shouldn't so if anyone got wristbands, I would say it would probably work better with the standard, particularly as there are alot more standard than gold/silver combined. :D

Edited by gemma85

I think the rope idea sounds good. They're not high enough to get in the way of views behind, or photos etc. But they might be enough that anyone trying to go over / under or round would be obvious!! You could have a couple of crew members standing by either side to keep an eye out.

• Showmasters Admin

Overall we are 50/50 on the wristbands. They did work well if put on correctly (mine was so loose, a good fling of my arm and off it flew, had to tie the end's around my bracelet) Seemed to work well when getting photos, none of this having to hide the chain passes out the way for the pic or swapping the pass for friends to get in on a shoot they werent called for but I gotta say in the talks thats where we saw an issue.

Once the lights went off, people were moving up into empty seats because crew wouldnt have seen. Plus when the crew asked to hold our arms up, they were literally scanning. People could have been sunk down in chairs with no arm up and they wouldnt have nessacarily been seen because they were just looking at the wave of wrists flapping about. Unless they went up and checked everybody one by one, there is never going to be a way to fully stop cheeky people from pulling a fast one in the talks.

I think the proposal of gold/silver having a pass and standard's a wristband is a good idea but still not absolute in stopping these problems if for some reason the band isnt put on properly. I think ME are in a no win situation. We want to stop swapping and seat stealing but in this case the alternative solution to that is also as a whole, not popular, so what else can be done? Unless you physically have way more crew to manage every single row in the talks and repeatedly check them like every 10 minutes, I think we will be hard pressed to find a perfect solution.

What about having the seating seperated by those rope or metal barrier thingies? Like having the standard seating seperated from the gold/silver. They wouldnt take up much space and would only have to be managed but like 3 crew members throughout the talks, one each end and one in the middle... obviously when first loading the hall it would take more crew as it does now. But if you leave then the crew members would check your pass when you return to let you in. That way nobody who isnt entitled to sit in those sections could get in! Just an idea, not sure if it could work but maybe combining the two ideas of wristbands for standards etc with the barriers its worth a try :D

As far as people hiding from the check. That's where other attendees come in. If you see someone hiding during a check, point at them, let the crew know they are there.

What about having the seating seperated by those rope or metal barrier thingies? Like having the standard seating seperated from the gold/silver. They wouldnt take up much space and would only have to be managed but like 3 crew members throughout the talks, one each end and one in the middle... obviously when first loading the hall it would take more crew as it does now. But if you leave then the crew members would check your pass when you return to let you in. That way nobody who isnt entitled to sit in those sections could get in! Just an idea, not sure if it could work but maybe combining the two ideas of wristbands for standards etc with the barriers its worth a try :D

As far as people hiding from the check. That's where other attendees come in. If you see someone hiding during a check, point at them, let the crew know they are there.

heh! yeah... maybe you could get each person to check the person on their left and on their right to make sure they're wearing the pass/wristband and that its appropriate for the section they're sat in.

Then they flag up anyone who refuses to be checked or is wrong!?!

Sorry to say but as a standard, and someone who disliked the wristband due to personal reasons I find the comment of "Well gold and silver pay more so let them have the badges" alittle unfair. Yes gold and silver pay more but thats cause they have saved the money to be able to get a better ticket. Not everyone has the money available to save and some people do struggle to raise the money even for a standard so I think you'd find most standards would feel they are being punished just cause they can't afford the extra £60-£140ish to get an upgraded ticket.

Can I also add its not all standards who wish to go up groups. I for one am happy to be whatever ticket number I am, and yes I have people in my group of friends who are silver or gold but I'd never think to swap badges with them just so I could get something quicker. I'll have a silver ticket at ET5 and my boyfriend will have standard and I'll be happy to wait till he's called for anything. He's even said he doesn't mind me going in when my silver number is called to grab autos and he'll just wait for me at the end of the queue (he's not really a signature/photoshoots kinda guy)

Sorry to say but as a standard, and someone who disliked the wristband due to personal reasons I find the comment of "Well gold and silver pay more so let them have the badges" alittle unfair. Yes gold and silver pay more but thats cause they have saved the money to be able to get a better ticket. Not everyone has the money available to save and some people do struggle to raise the money even for a standard so I think you'd find most standards would feel they are being punished just cause they can't afford the extra £60-£140ish to get an upgraded ticket.

I agree with you here, I couldn't possibly afford a Gold ticket but I'd not like to be not given a chance at a pass because of that..so basically folk would be paying the extra £100 or whatever for a PASS? No. Not fair. Aside the perks that are already set up, the neccesities should be the same for everyone.

I didn't have a problem with the wristbands before we went this weekend, but tbh - I defo preferred them to a pass.

I always forget to take my pass off in photoshoots and it looks kinda rubbish :(

I think a pass spoils the look of cosplay, so would always spoil what I was wearing, or have it dangling round my wrist...

At least with a wristband you don't have to remember to take it with you/worry about it spoiling a shot.

One request though, if we were to keep wristbands, please lose the ribbon. Festival style material ones are so much more hardwearing and less prone to fraying.

Heulwen I was kinda opposite to you I found the wristband was more of an issue with the cosplay as we had to keep hiding our wrists behind our backs where as when you have the pass on you can take it off for pics if needs be or most of the time with Edward's stuff you can hide it under your shirt.

Got to say as someone else did if you keep the wrist bands please get rid of the dangly bits the amount of times I had to wear my fingerless gloves to breakfast to keep it out of my food was getting ridiculous.