Passes Idea....

*Midnight*Sun*

• Moderators

me and my friend were dissapointed cos we were both silver and when we went to the talks ppl were saving seats and i think there must have been some standard slipping in somehow cos there were no silver seats left.

also ppl kept standing up in front of us taking photos that was very annoying :smile:

Did you say anything to anyone while you were there?

That's really something that can only be sorted at the event itself.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well quite a few people could slip the bands off and on anyway and if standards were slipping into silver seats - then the wristbands still haven't sorted the problem.

As David said - this sort of thing needs to be raised at the event and only by people saying something can the crew get involved and resolve it.

I just wish that people had more courtesy and respect for each other.

I wonder if this is a similar problem at other ME events?

So, my first thought was if it was maybe possible to just make differently colored badges... gold, silver and whatevercolor for standard... so it would still be easy to tell groups apart :)
That wouldn't prevent the swapping thought, would it? Also TooTall has mentioned (another thread) that it would be a lot more costly to have three different coloured sets of badges produced.

I think the sheer amount of people is the main problem.
How many attended?

Well quite a few people could slip the bands off and on anyway and if standards were slipping into silver seats - then the wristbands still haven't sorted the problem.

I think this is partly because it's the first event where they used wristbands. Some of the people on Friday weren't strong enough to close the metal fully (as the person on Saturday, I can tell you now that those clampers are really difficult to use!), or didn't think to double check that it was firmly in place. Also, there seemed to be some confusion on the Friday as to whether you could give choice on left or right hands and whether it was 1 finger's gap or 2. So some people ended up with very lose wristbands or moveable metal bits.

On Saturday we were quite strict about it and, although it took quite a bit of time to do, it seemed to work. The problem, as I see it, was inexperience and inconsistency. Once that was sorted.... fine.

So, my first thought was if it was maybe possible to just make differently colored badges... gold, silver and whatevercolor for standard... so it would still be easy to tell groups apart :)
That wouldn't prevent the swapping thought, would it? Also TooTall has mentioned (another thread) that it would be a lot more costly to have three different coloured sets of badges produced.

I think the sheer amount of people is the main problem.
How many attended?

I thought Too Tall said it was the photos that made it infeasible, not the colours. Though I might be wrong.

As for people, there were 1,200, I believe.

it is both really,

where the colours are concerned, like anything there are minimum orders, so to be able to order some in gold, some in silver, some in standard, I dont know if that is possible.

Nod. That would have been my assumption, but given that they managed it with the ribbons and wristbands, I didn't know about the normal passes.

Also, I don't actually know what the ME passes are like, seeing as the only convention passes I've ever seen are basically laminated bits of printed paper. So I have no idea about overheads and minimum orders on ME ones.

• Showmasters Admin

We were able to get the 3 different coloured wristbands for the same price as the single coloured badges. It made sense to do the swap. The wristbands have turned out to have other issues, mainly that people hate them :D So we're going to stop using them.

So we're back to badges. Having 3 different coloured badged will cost more, but this weekend definitely showed us how having the different colours works REALLY well and so it maybe worth the extra to have them.

The thing with the passes is that they are easier to keep. I like the idea of photos on the passes, but I don't think it'd work, unless maybe you just do it on the Gold & Silver passes, since it is these which people are swapping.

The wristbands were fine, but i would rather then be more like the ones you get at gigs. Although I'm guessing it'd be difficult to have them all "personalized" as sorts with the different letters and that.

So we're back to badges. Having 3 different coloured badged will cost more, but this weekend definitely showed us how having the different colours works REALLY well and so it maybe worth the extra to have them.

Surely that won't stop people from swapping though =/

Edited by Sophie~

How about coloured lanyards for Gold and Silver and everyone else has the metal beads? They would be instantly recognisable.

You could maybe do somethings less in the gold packs, or cheaper. There was a lot in there that I personally won't use - buttons, coaster etc.

I think ET1 there were lanyards for Gold as opposed to the metal beaded necklaces.

Also how about a recycling scheme for the metal beaded necklaces? I have 4 from the ET's and Prom's - maybe a box on reg desk for people to return them if they are unwanted at the end of the con?

Just an idea :)

Edited by SugarSpunSister

I go to a lot of large international horse shows and I am trying to find out where one particular one gets their passes as I think they would be perfect for ET use.

I didn't have a problem with my pass at all but when we were at lunch one of the ladies sitting at the same table managed to dip hers in her lunch.

My husband was able to slide the metal clip up and down so could easily take his off. I could not do this with mine.

If I can find out where the passes I have in mind come from I will let the organisers know.

They are a sort of soft but tough plastic, totally water proof so you can shower etc, they are already coloured gold, silver and can be printed on as well. Once on they have to be cut off with scissors. There is no dangly bit either and no metal clips which have to be clamped on so will will save the ladies at registration loads of time.

Edited by Vera

Perhaps instead of wrist bands you could adopt the attitude of other cons, were they have volunteer stewards who check the passes regularly to avoid people switching.

Its very complicated and ashame that some people are ruining it and if it was up to me I'd ban them. Once people witnessed the extreme punishment they would stop it. Only the unhonest can really appose that idea.

• Showmasters Admin

The thing with the passes is that they are easier to keep. I like the idea of photos on the passes, but I don't think it'd work, unless maybe you just do it on the Gold & Silver passes, since it is these which people are swapping.

The wristbands were fine, but i would rather then be more like the ones you get at gigs. Although I'm guessing it'd be difficult to have them all "personalized" as sorts with the different letters and that.

Surely that won't stop people from swapping though =/

It doesn't stop the swapping, but the only thing that will is something non-removeable and as we found this weekend people seemed to hate that.

I know everyone seemed to hate wristbands but why not just make standards have them as it seems like they are the main ones who try to sneak in places they aren't allowed, then vip's, gold's and silvers can have passes? I know it may seem unfair but if it's going to stop people sneaking around maybe it's best. But perhaps instead of the ribbon bands why not the plastic ones that don't come off easily? or the thick material ones?

I'll probably be standard myself so it's not like I'm looking down on everyone saying they deserve the worst if that makes sense? It just seems that people are unhappy with the wristbands but are also unhappy with people swapping passes and sneaking around. People will probably carrying on swapping passes if they return. Only other thing I can think of is just ban people who switch? But I suppose that would be difficult to do...

• Showmasters Admin

It doesn't stop the swapping, but the only thing that will is something non-removeable and as we found this weekend people seemed to hate that.

In that case maybe my idea of Writing STANDARD, SILVER and GOLD on peoples foreheads in perminant black marker isnt such a good idea :D

We suggested branding on peoples foreheads.

The only issue we could think of was that it would still be there when they came to the next event. But then we realised it wasn't much of an issue as there would be a very very low number of return attendees if we branded them the first time :D

The whole ''swapping'' thing really does drive me insane! I've been gold to every single ET, so that's £830 for just my tickets alone. My mum was going to buy me a car for my 17th but instead we've been to ET conventions. We save and save and save for these conventions just so we can be Gold so we can go to the wine reception and have good seats at the talks. My mum, me, my best friend mel and several others of the forum stayed up nearly all night at ET2 to get tickets for ET3 and it paid off, I was Gold 5 at ET5 and have so many memories of jsut camping out for those tickets.

To have people who havn't spent as much as I have or saved as much swap passes to get into events really does anger me. Sneaking into the talks infuriates me, I remember talking to several people who were not able to sit in their sections becasue Standards had snuck into Silver and Gold sections.

I really do think that SM need to come down hard on people who do swap passes or save seats for people etc, at the end of the day it just isn't fair on people.

Edited by *Midnight*Sun*

In that case maybe my idea of Writing STANDARD, SILVER and GOLD on peoples foreheads in perminant black marker isnt such a good idea :clap:

We suggested branding on peoples foreheads.

The only issue we could think of was that it would still be there when they came to the next event. But then we realised it wasn't much of an issue as there would be a very very low number of return attendees if we branded them the first time ;)

Thats all right TooTall, I'll just make sure I go Gold for the next event so I can get that brand ;):lol:

• Showmasters Admin

I was reading though this thread, we could always get like a passport photo and stick it on the back off our passes.

I didnt antend the con btw, but I thought to say something in this thread.

I was thinking a similar thing. But what do you do when people turn up on the day and say....

I forgotten to get one done.

I forgotten to bring it.

I had it in here, I know I did.

I didn't know I needed one.

I had one but I didn't like it so I throw it away.

What I've got to pay for that as well?

My cat eat mine this morning.

The photo fairies stole mine from my bag.

You mean a photo of me and my 3 mates on holiday isn't OK?

What do you mean it had to be of me?