Passes Idea....

*Midnight*Sun*

As nearly all of us know most people hated the wristbands but obvisously they were used for a reason. As a lot of people were swapping passes to get into Gold and Silver sections or using them to get into the wine reception on Friday so I had an idea. Why don't we have our photos on our passes? We upload them onto the forum so that swapping passes cannot happen. I know this would mean a bit more work for the crew but it works out as less work in the end....i think.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As nearly all of us know most people hated the wristbands but obvisously they were used for a reason. As a lot of people were swapping passes to get into Gold and Silver sections or using them to get into the wine reception on Friday so I had an idea. Why don't we have our photos on our passes? We upload them onto the forum so that swapping passes cannot happen. I know this would mean a bit more work for the crew but it works out as less work in the end....i think.

I had exactly the same idea - great minds and all that! <_<

you'd have to hope for no themes with too much costume then.. people may be unrecognisable <_< lmao... actually that wouldn't matter so much would it?... because the type of pass wouldn't matter then just that you have one.... Maybe if people brought their own little passport photos all SM/ME would have to do at reg is maybe put the photo over the pass and like put that sticky laminateish type stuff over, like they do on bus passes and my really badly made uni ID (seriously... such lame ID.. the name is printed off of paper and stuck to it the same way as the photo is!) I know people might not be happy with spending money on a passport photo but its only like £4 and if you do it your self you can make sure you photo is how you want it plus the spares left over can always come in handy.

you'd have to hope for no themes with too much costume then.. people may be unrecognisable :lol: lmao... actually that wouldn't matter so much would it?... because the type of pass wouldn't matter then just that you have one.... Maybe if people brought their own little passport photos all SM/ME would have to do at reg is maybe put the photo over the pass and like put that sticky laminateish type stuff over, like they do on bus passes and my really badly made uni ID (seriously... such lame ID.. the name is printed off of paper and stuck to it the same way as the photo is!) I know people might not be happy with spending money on a passport photo but its only like £4 and if you do it your self you can make sure you photo is how you want it plus the spares left over can always come in handy.

It's all tricky isn't it? I know it sounds like a good idea, but I can see it generating a lot of extra work. And it would have to be a decent size pic to make it easily examinable. And you'd have people complaining about how they couldn't get a decent picture (because nobody ever complains about their passport picture) or having to spend extra money on a picture, or how they e-mailed in a decent photo but it's printed all horribly and totally ruined their pass, and... I'm not being negative, just trying to anticipate problems. As for getting people to bring photos with them and laminating them there, I'm sure that would cause extra delay at registration. And what about those people who forget to bring photos with them?

I see a good wheeze to prevent it being a last minute thing. If they accept the extra work (and probably extra cost) of photo passes, then if you want a pass you have to submit your photo at least 4 weeks before the event. Any tickets sold in the last 4 weeks, or sold before that but without photos sent in by the deadline get a wristband! That'll get people focussed. (and moaning about missing the deadline... Personally I don't know what the down on wristbands is - if it's good enough for a few million people each year at rock festivals, it's good enough for me.)

Good thinking Bat-Girl lol

you'd have to hope for no themes with too much costume then.. people may be unrecognisable :lol: lmao... actually that wouldn't matter so much would it?... because the type of pass wouldn't matter then just that you have one.... Maybe if people brought their own little passport photos all SM/ME would have to do at reg is maybe put the photo over the pass and like put that sticky laminateish type stuff over, like they do on bus passes and my really badly made uni ID (seriously... such lame ID.. the name is printed off of paper and stuck to it the same way as the photo is!) I know people might not be happy with spending money on a passport photo but its only like £4 and if you do it your self you can make sure you photo is how you want it plus the spares left over can always come in handy.

That's a very good idea at least it would make the Crew's job a lot easier in the long run - although the wristbands were a pain at least the Crew could see at once what type of pass you had - maybe they could colour code the passes as well with a thick border of Gold, silver or black like the wristbands were.

The metal bit was scraping at my wrist (and the edging) and I had to put tape over it. If I'd have known it would HAVE to be left wrist (where my tattoo is, and a where a really sensitive bit is on the front of my wrist) I would have gone to Too Tall before the reg desk, but as it was, I couldn't.

So I'm in favour of any way to bring the passes back! But not bringing a photo on the day - I have £5.20 in the world at the moment and that's quite normal for me, could only afford ET4 because I'd paid for it months ago, so would rather not pay anything extra towards my ticket if possible.

Edited by TurkFox

I have to be one to say that I really didnt like the wristbands, they really made my wrist itch and I had trouble sleeping with something round my wrist I kept going to take it off then remembering I couldnt and had to keep it on.

Also I loved the badges when people showed me them from last events and I was so excited about getting one since this was my first ET event. Also the wristbands didnt stop people who didnt have one getting into the party, I saw loads of people on the Sat that were obviously not part of ET4. I never had my band checked going into the parties, only when queing for the photos and signings etc.

Not that I want to sound negative about them, its just my observations and how I feel

The only problem i found with the wristband was the bits dangling were a bit long so i had to tuck it in my bangles cause it probs would have frayed if i cut it. but thats all really it didnt bother me, and i forgot i had it on. i missed the passes though cause they were pretty and i was collecting them lol.

Edited by Cupcakekiki

I think i like the wristbands.... the thing with the passes round your neck is them being a big focus on all your pictures throughout a night of partying... ruins the outfit hehe!! :wub: but they were a nice keepsake of the event :|

I actually forgot i was wearing a wristband... which I suppose is a good thing.

Bad that it made you itch though... maybe a different material?

Once I'd pinned back the flappy bit of the wristband with the Team Edward badge from the pack I was quite happy with it - difficult to lose, didn't interfere with outfits, easy to distinguish groups. However now I'm home, and looking at my collection of passes on my wall, I hope passes will be back, for sentimental reasons if nothing else. :thumbup:

Hmmm, I like TwilightMum's idea of a thick coloured border.

One thing I liked was being able to walk through the hall on Sunday afternoon and do a quick wristband check at a glance. I did manage to move back some people from gold and silver who shouldn't have been there. It was quick, easy and could be done with minimum fuss. I didn't have to ask to look closely at their pass or anything else, I could see the colour.

But the thick coloured border might have the same effect.

The problem is with the swapping and everything else. We already saw a few people trying to get away with things, but they thankfully couldn't because you needed ID to pick up the packs and then bands were clamped on. Photos sound great in theory, but if I want to check the passes in the main hall once lights are down, I can't necessarily do that!

Why not leave the passes as they were orignially, but on the back, have them colour coded, gold, silver etc, with a large number (ticket number) and group letter on it, very easy to see at a glance.

or a ticking off system on the back like they do with the autos/photos would be good, where the gold drinks cud be crossed off, then sat pm admission, sunday pm admission etc???

As for the swapping.... i think its only going to be stopped if people speak up if they see it happening and tell crew.

As much as i was against the wristbands they did work well, and i wouldnt mind them again ON THE BASIS that a pass was included in the packs aswell (purely as a keepsake), as a bigger girl the tshirts to me are useless as a keepsake as they never fit :thumbup:

• Showmasters Admin

It's a wonderful idea and we have thought about it ourselves. There are 2 major draw backs to it.

1: Getting people to send in the pictures. We have enough trouble getting people to put all the names down, trying to make sure 1000+ people send in photos will be a nightmare of a job.

2: Cost. To have passes printed with photos on is about 5 to 10 times more expensive then the current badges. Honestly for the price of them we could get an extra guest.

I think just be tough on those swapping passes is the answer. If you are breaking the rules, they should be kicked out of the convention altogether.
:thumbup: I like the idea in theory.

However, assuming you are referring to the use of the neck pass, you could never be fully 100% sure that you have 'caught' everyone. Apart from a check of each person and their pass every individual (a close inspection if there is photo id) once they are sat in the main hall. Which would need repeating before every talk due to people going out/in. Very time consuming.

It does sound much eaiser with the wristband pass.

Edited by 1of2

I wasn't very fond of the wristband... we HAD TO wear it left which just feels weeeird for me (I get the reasoning behind it but my only thought was "what if I was a leftie :smile::P)... and the ends kept dangling in my food and stuff. I also thought the ticket numbers where a bit hard to read.

What I did like was the different colors the bands had. As people said before, it was easy to tell pass holders apart.

So, my first thought was if it was maybe possible to just make differently colored badges... gold, silver and whatevercolor for standard... so it would still be easy to tell groups apart :)

me and my friend were dissapointed cos we were both silver and when we went to the talks ppl were saving seats and i think there must have been some standard slipping in somehow cos there were no silver seats left.

also ppl kept standing up in front of us taking photos that was very annoying :smile: