Question!

hacchylove

Just spotted this thread - I'm sorry your con experience wasn't as good as it should have been, but hopefully next time will be better! Because I hope there will be a next time for you, these events are too fantastic to miss just because of a few obnoxious people.

Also, in a slightly related note - come to a Hub if you can! Much less manic than the Twilight events, but completely insane in their own way and full of the loveliest people. :D (Not that the Twicons aren't amazing, there's just a very different atmosphere at the smaller events and I think it's worth trying both. Unless you end up like me and my sister who are now in the sticky situation of adoring both and trying to go to all of them. :P )

Anyway yes, Charlie is wonderful, John Barrowman is wonderful (met him at La Cage!), cosplaying is wonderful (I'm an Esme myself ;) ) and may I add you on Facebook? ;)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just spotted this thread - I'm sorry your con experience wasn't as good as it should have been, but hopefully next time will be better! Because I hope there will be a next time for you, these events are too fantastic to miss just because of a few obnoxious people.

Also, in a slightly related note - come to a Hub if you can! Much less manic than the Twilight events, but completely insane in their own way and full of the loveliest people. :D (Not that the Twicons aren't amazing, there's just a very different atmosphere at the smaller events and I think it's worth trying both. Unless you end up like me and my sister who are now in the sticky situation of adoring both and trying to go to all of them. :P )

Anyway yes, Charlie is wonderful, John Barrowman is wonderful (met him at La Cage!), cosplaying is wonderful (I'm an Esme myself ;) ) and may I add you on Facebook? ;)

I'm on the border with Esme! I want to like her, but... she always seems more of a background character in the books :( and in the movies, they have to give her Edward's lines just for her to say anything. Plus they dyed her hair icky black instead of caramel. I just... don't know enough about her to like her, I really do want to like her but... I can't... connect to her : | my god that sounds so cheesy! haha.

You may! Everyone else has lmao xD

@Hacchy, I think the fact that you went on your own shows you had great courage and confidence! I'm possibly going to ET5 (sadly had to cancel going to ET4) but not sure if I'm going yet partly to do with money but also because I'm not sure I have the confidence to go on my own so, seriously, hats off to you for being able to!

Oh God, I know exactly what you mean! She has no character and when she does it's boring. So when I go on about how much I adore her, and how much I connect with her, I just look insane. But what happened was, I wrote some fanfiction just exploring her a tiny bit, a oneshot - which went down incredibly well, and kind of exploded and um, seventy thousand words later I kind of made her into my own? If that makes sense? Because I had to give her a character just to get a story out of her. But I did, and I love MY Esme to bits. ;)

And I wouldn't care if they'd dyed her hair, I just want them to stick to it! She's had four hairstyles and three colours in three movies. And as someone who has outfits from different movies, which I want to wear over one weekend, it's a bloody nightmare. :D

annnnd I wallotext'd again, sigh.

That is absolutely nothing to feel bad about; personally I find it a little joy to see somebody who can write clearly and coherently for more than three lines and has things to say.

As somebody who is sometimes on the inside of established groups and sometimes on the outside, generally what happens is that people who are there with their friends will make a small amount of polite conversation with you, but the natural tendency is for them to revert to talking to their friends. That doesn't mean it's a knock against you, that's just the way people interact. But having been on both sides of the fence, I know it can be disheartening when you get left out, and I often feel a bit bad if I catch myself doing it when I'm on the inside. And other times, I just can't be bothered, I'm there to relax and have a good time and talk with my mates. Doesn't mean the outsider is a bad person or even just a boring person, sometimes folk just aren't in the mood to be outgoing.

I'd definitely say the way forward is to find (or start!) a thread for people going alone on the relevant forum well in advance of the next event so you and others in your situation can get to know a few people in advance.

Having travelled to far-off places to see obscure bands, it's definitely easier if I can walk into a pub before the gig, walk up to a bunch of folk and ask "are you the guys from the such-and such mailing list" and when they say yes, I can introduce myself, they can introduce themselves, and we can start bantering about posts we've made before, than having to walk up to a complete bunch of strangers and try to strike up some sort of rapport from absolute scratch an hour before the show.

@Hacchy, I think the fact that you went on your own shows you had great courage and confidence! I'm possibly going to ET5 (sadly had to cancel going to ET4) but not sure if I'm going yet partly to do with money but also because I'm not sure I have the confidence to go on my own so, seriously, hats off to you for being able to!

haha thanks. I almost stayed in my room the entire weekend xD but I got lured out with the prospect of warm vampire and wolf hugs.... xD and it was worth it!

I do wanna go to ET5 but for this month we're kind of... broke. And December is xmas month. I MIGHT be able to convince mom to let me go to my birthday since that's in march, but then I might not be able to go silver or gold for the et6... depends on the guests I.. err.. guess Gold and silver is kind of.. an insane amount of money so :)

I didn't mind GOING on my own... but it was boring to be there alone, if you get what I mean?

Yeah I know what you mean. Even though I know quite a few people on here I get really anxious thinking "OMG if I go to ET5 what if I can't find anyone??" and then end up spending the weekend on my own which is daft really as the simple thing to do would be to text them and see what they're upto, where they are etc lol but I just can't shake the feeling.

Oh and I definately think you should cosplay! I've really missed not being able to do that this time.

Oh God, I know exactly what you mean! She has no character and when she does it's boring. So when I go on about how much I adore her, and how much I connect with her, I just look insane. But what happened was, I wrote some fanfiction just exploring her a tiny bit, a oneshot - which went down incredibly well, and kind of exploded and um, seventy thousand words later I kind of made her into my own? If that makes sense? Because I had to give her a character just to get a story out of her. But I did, and I love MY Esme to bits. :lol:

And I wouldn't care if they'd dyed her hair, I just want them to stick to it! She's had four hairstyles and three colours in three movies. And as someone who has outfits from different movies, which I want to wear over one weekend, it's a bloody nightmare. <_<

Haha, I liked her hair in the first movie best. The dark hair really bugged me, I mean Bella emphasies on her 'caramel' h air a lot it just... raaaagle. Emmet's hair bugged me too, isn't he supposed to have curly hair? >.< at least Esme's hair changes werent' as bad as Jasper's lmao, or even Alice's.

I tried to write some stuff about Esme to get to know her, it was a random drabble from Bella's POV and then I switched to writing as Esme to try to get to know her but I got very stumped! So I started working on my one shot which is just... urgh! xD I should finish it, people want to read it.... meeeeeh.

@TommyT oh I totally agree with that, it's just I rarely see people using large posts on here! Usually the only forums I hang around are the mmo champion ones and world of warcraft ones /lol. And it's full of nerdy people like me so we write long posts with perfect grammar... well, when I can be bothered with perfect grammar.

I actually find it quite ironic when I've gone around twilight fansite's forums, and everyone posts two sentences, full of text type and... 'u' and... Urgh, I really hate that and it's just like... Hmm... I dont' know why it grates on me so much xD Maybe because writing is my passion and I can't stand people defiling it, or maybe it's just insulting to their English teacher's at school. I can get pretty fired up and go into long post mode, usually TL:DR :blink:

I suffer from bipolar so when I get fired up while I'm on a high... I have missed the amount of times I've not been able to make posts because my post was too long!

I really have issues introducing myself to people though. I h ad an absolutely horrible school childhood stuff cause of bullying... plus I can be pretty overly sensitive at times. It probably doesn't help th at people don't... 'get' me :smile: I really am quite random, I can be one mood one moment and another the next and I'm pretty random and say really weird things and observe random t hings... I can be overly observant and my memory for things like memorising books and movies is kinda creepy...

I suppose it's hard to find things other than twilight to bond with others over too. Since I'm not exactly into those other books in that genre so much-- in fact I used to LOATHE twilight and I was the last person on Earth who would ever stand up for it but... here I am :wub: squeeing over twilight, writing twilight fanfics, paying insane amount of moneys just for a 30 second hug and photo with guests! Haha.

Gosh I went offtopic : | Hm... I don't even know where I was going with my point. I guess the issue is I have like... extremely low confidence, and I find it hard to make friends. I'm trying to work on it, but when things like this happens it just makes me wonder why I try... This time next year I'll probably be a performing arts student hough, I was hoping that would give me extra confidence :)

i wish i would of like i dont know.. found you there or spoke to you or something :lol:... i would of spoke to you.. i might not of said anything interesting though lol i went to ET3 alone aswell and was scared before i got there, but i'd spoke to one or 2 people online and then met other people there and this time at et4 i sometimes found it hard making sure i said hi to everyone lol and making sure my little sister didnt get mad if i disappeared for too long (she can be a bossy cow... but she didnt... in the end she just scared me with her hypernes... im not letting her take caffeine pills with lucozade ever again!)

if you want you can add me on twitter i'm @i_heart_the_doc ... i tweet too much, and it's mostly about fanfiction or other really random crap... like really really random....

Random...I like random!

Trust me, you should definately do performing arts. I loved it in school and I totally regret not going in that direction when I went to college.

I liked it in high school because in the teachers attempt to make me g et on with another girl, s he'd pair us up. And ofc I was able to say what I hated about her as part of my characters haha. I was actually banned from being in the same class as this girl so the teacher really did step over the line.

I don't have GCSE's, and I'll be 20 when I start the course; so I get my first level 2/3 course for free. So I have to pick what I wanna do NOW and it's very... I don't like that. There's lots of things I wanna do... I found a Marine biology course, performing arts, teaching, midwifery... loads of stuff. I have no idea where I see myself in the future lol. I did always want to be a voice actor for like dubs and cartoons and stuff... I wouldn't mind writing something but... I write for fun and I don't want it to be a job... plus I'm still struggling with writer's block so lol.

I am leaning more towards performing arts, but the marine biology is just a little behind.

Also I SWEAR someone was in my room at the hilton, because I woke up and my cuticles are like... covered in blood? Like someone was chewing them lmao... wtf... >_<

argh slow for replying got distracted by damages on bbc1... and Peter's characyer just got murdered... I let out a startled cry followed by a long silence and a "WTF maybe I should watch from ep one". I think Stephie Meyer lied about how Carlisle got turned, I just saw him get hit by a car :lol:

Edited by Hacchy

Lol! I've never watched Damages I don't think.

How strange about your cuticles. Maybe you were biting them in your sleep :)

Oooh a few career choices to choose from then. And wow that was risky what your teacher did lol. Did you both get on in the end?

Lol! I've never watched Damages I don't think.

How strange about your cuticles. Maybe you were biting them in your sleep :)

Oooh a few career choices to choose from then. And wow that was risky what your teacher did lol. Did you both get on in the end?

It's.... boring. Well.. I can't say that, it's a legal drama and I'm not so much into those. Perhaps I'm bias, but Pfach is pretty awesome in it ;) coop and Carlisle are like polar opposites, and 'Gregory' in this is different again, yet he does it well. I didnt' even know it was him to begin with lol xD

Perhaps I was! I can sleep through hurricanes >.>; I literately did once, only a small one but lol. God knows what happened but they're kind of sore! xD

No, I sitll hate her :lol: well.... I can't hate her now, she's 19, pregnant with her third kid, broke, single, scruffy and on drugs. I just feel sorry for her now. Sadly most people I was in school with have ended up like that. In fact one girl in my form class, her aspiration was to be a pole dancer. And I don't really want to judge that because... whatever floats your boat and all but... a pole dancer. Eh, to each their own I suppose.

I really have no clue abuot my future :lol: I know I wanna swim with sharks in the sea <3 and I want to go cliff jumping, go on safari in Africa, go to Japan and go to Utah to tackle my best friend in a hug but in terms of 'settling down' it's like.... I don't want to be tied to one thing, I have a lot I wanna do and... the majority of people these days aren't happy with their jobs. And I suppose since I have to make the choice now it's like.... pressure to get it right. I really want to just.. see the world and stuff before I get tied down, argh... My mom is very little help when it comes to it too!

And the added issue is that the college is down in Cornwall :P and we dont' have the money to move, so I would have to find a way to live there alone, without ALG and without benefits since I dont' quite fit perfectly into one form of benefits, argh.

:lol:

@Hacchy so sorry you didn't enjoy yourself as much as you should have - please keep coming on the forum we are lovely on here - I have so many friends and speak to so many people at the Cons because of being on here it's like one big family - we have always said in the past that no-one is on there own at the Con - so for you to feel the way you did I'm sorry - if I had known I would have made sure you were not alone.

So try and come to ET5 we do have a good laugh :lol:

Ditto that Dayna although I speak to lots of people (usually when Im in the ladies, I start to talk to someone I don't know or someone I do and then 20 mins later I'll re-appear with Sam thinking I've fallen down the loo :lol: ) not sure if I would go to the Cons on my hown mainly because I'm old enough to be most of the attendees Mum ;)

Karly not going to ET5 then? - Sam told me you that both of you had to pull out of (sorry for not texting you - been manic in this house lately and wasn't on here much before the Con) ET4 - it was very strange not seeing you both there you were both missed , I kept expecting to see you round the corner ....very strange, so you've got to come to ET5 - you know for sure, you will not be on your own - you know so many in Silver and Gold.

I might need a roomie if Mel comes this time as she'll share with Sam so I'll have a twin room all to my self and the expense lol

The Pfach is on the telly in damages as I type......that man is way too hot!!!!!

Edited by Twilightmum49

Ceri you are still young and if you are determinded enough then you can still do all those things. If you go with one career (be it acting, midwifery etc) choice and don't like it then you can always change. There's the funding there to help. I know that if you are getting some kind of benefit (be it job seeker's or DLA etc) then you should be able to go into full time education without having to worry about the cost (Atleast that's where it stands for college. I'm unsure about Uni as I've never been). There's also modern apprenticeships too!

Hey Debs! Aww don't worry about not texting, that's fine. Yeah we weren't able to go to ET4 because of money worries but, after the events of last week, had we still have had the money to go, I would have pulled out anyway as I was just too upset :smile:

I very much doubt Karly'll be going to ET5. She actually got her bank manager to cut up her credit card! Go Karly! Lol!

I think if I do go then I'll go Silver. That way the photos are paid for and I don't have to worry about that on the weekend. Ahh Deb let me know if you need a roomie as that'll save me forking out just for a room for myself too if I do go lol. Shall wait til after xmas before I make up my mind though.

Ceri you are still young and if you are determinded enough then you can still do all those things. If you go with one career (be it acting, midwifery etc) choice and don't like it then you can always change. There's the funding there to help. I know that if you are getting some kind of benefit (be it job seeker's or DLA etc) then you should be able to go into full time education without having to worry about the cost (Atleast that's where it stands for college. I'm unsure about Uni as I've never been). There's also modern apprenticeships too!

It did work like tha.... and then the government took away a lot of the benefits and school fundings. BEfore I could have claimed incapacity because of my bipolar but I probably can't now. I can't really find work because of my lack of GCSE's and it's also hard to find college courses I can do because of that. We dont' really have the money to do this, and there's a chance I'm not even going to be able to do th is because... I don't... we dont' have th emoney for somewhere to live, bills, food, council tax, tv lisence... all the books I need-- a laptop because I can't get my desktop down there... And I'd be so busy and no time to get a part time job on the side-- plus I'm not supposed to because if it stresses me out I get pretty ill and end up making everything worse. sigh.

My mom is a lot of the issue. I only get one of these courses for free, after that it costs... a few thousand to do them. But she wants me either out of the house, or to pay my way. I can't do either because I have no income, because I have no job... I can't get a job and it's a vicious circle. I am 99% sure if I can't go onto this course, she's going to kick me out. She's already expressed her displeasure for me wanting to do performing arts and... b ah.

She and I don't have a close relationship, it's pretty rocky a lot of the time. She has little respect for anyone else-- I went to an advance screening of Eclipse, and the whole time she text'd someone and it... was pretty distracting :( and then she was all "WHAT DOES SHE MEAN SHES SWITZERLAND" like super loud and I just thought 'by god if we get kicked out I'll never forgive her'.

I was amazed she let me go to et4 :P but I made a deal that I'd have no xmas present if I went xD. There isnt' anything else I really wanna do... I have wow cata on pre order, I'm going into Asda the day Eclipse comes out to get that...

I feel extremely rushed over the whole thing, because if I don't get this right... it feels like my life is screwed. I won't have the money to retrain so I'll be out of house, and out of pocket

:o:P:D

I think at the next con I will hang a tag around my neck saying "lonely newbies come hither'!! I have been to all ET's and few other cons too. Being older than most fans I cannot abide the bitchiness that I have seen directed at other con goers including towards my own daughter just because she chose not to dress in wedding attire for Fridays party and did her own thing. Luckily she's confident and has a screw you attitude to the haters. Serioulsy though, if you or any other newbie finds yourself feeling lonely, my friends and family members will always welcome you into our fold and show you the ropes. We aren't experts, but we do know our way round and aren't afraid to ask someone who will know if we don't. Over time we have learned not to get stressy with the crew when they appear to be ignoring us, because we know that they have a thankless task on their hands wit 1000 people probably asking the same questions over and over through the weekend. They do a sterling job and for that I'm grateful to them all.

I'm sorry you feel you have a lousy time and hope that next time, things will be better for you now that you have seen from this thread how nice the majority of people really are.

I think at the next con I will hang a tag around my neck saying "lonely newbies come hither'!! I have been to all ET's and few other cons too. Being older than most fans I cannot abide the bitchiness that I have seen directed at other con goers including towards my own daughter just because she chose not to dress in wedding attire for Fridays party and did her own thing. Luckily she's confident and has a screw you attitude to the haters. Serioulsy though, if you or any other newbie finds yourself feeling lonely, my friends and family members will always welcome you into our fold and show you the ropes. We aren't experts, but we do know our way round and aren't afraid to ask someone who will know if we don't. Over time we have learned not to get stressy with the crew when they appear to be ignoring us, because we know that they have a thankless task on their hands wit 1000 people probably asking the same questions over and over through the weekend. They do a sterling job and for that I'm grateful to them all.

I'm sorry you feel you have a lousy time and hope that next time, things will be better for you now that you have seen from this thread how nice the majority of people really are.

Haha I wish I had a 'screw you' attitude. It seems I just got unlucky with the people I spoke to and there was what... 1000 people there? I probably only spoke to about 100 or so of them and as per usual, got unlucky :D that's why i never win the lottery hehe.

I've added you on FB Ceri - I'm sorry you had such a crappy time at ET4 - please don't be put off coming to another ET there are a lot of great people that go. Perhaps nearer the time we could all do the swapping of mobile numbers again and meet in reception or something on the Friday. That's worked really well before. Sorry if someone has already suggested this :D:P