General Suggestions for ET5?

MjCullen

I hope that you don't go back to the mingling party thing at the gold reception for ET5. ET was a mess in that respect with a few hogging the guests and the people like myself who weren't confident on pushing in ending up only meeting one guest. OK so it was Peter but still. I've been to an event that was all seated for the attendees and each guest spending 10 mins or so sat at the tables chatting before moving on to the next and it worked fine and was fair. Not a true party atmosphere but at least everyone got to speak to the guests.

I like the photo ID idea. A lot of places do that now and although it might slow down the registration process some, in the long run it would be a more secure option. Trouble is, the quick wristband check was really effective, I don't know, perhaps we could all have one hand dyed the colour of our ticket for the weekend lol!!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CBA to read through the entire thread haha, so here we go..I think, due to the ammount of folk that were unhappy with the "from the floor" questions, that it might be a good idea to put a "question slip" for each guest in the reg pack? And that way if anyone has a question it can be put into one of them boxes (put more of them around the floor so that more folk see them :) ) and M.E/SM can decide if it's suitable.

That way the guests can't get uncomfortable and the attendees are happy :D

CBA to read through the entire thread haha, so here we go..I think, due to the ammount of folk that were unhappy with the "from the floor" questions, that it might be a good idea to put a "question slip" for each guest in the reg pack? And that way if anyone has a question it can be put into one of them boxes (put more of them around the floor so that more folk see them :) ) and M.E/SM can decide if it's suitable.

I thought they did that anyway? I know they have at Bitten and all the Hubs.

I thought they did that anyway? I know they have at Bitten and all the Hubs.

I didn't see anything in my pack :/

They had slips in the library room on the first night cause my friend wrote a few. However questions from the floor are sometimes based off of something the guest might have said in the talk itself, or of something that happened that day.

Perhaps there should be rules said at the begining of the talks, like no requesting nudity, shouting out rude things etc? That way if someone does do that they can be properly dealt with?

I noticed a few people moving about during breaks between talks. When the crew wasn't there. I'm not saying that they were doing anything wrong, so I didn't say anything. so I think at least one person should be there to check everyone tags.

As for swapping the tags, I think they should be named and shamed, then banned.

I'd also like to see a map in the welcome pack. I got lost a few times on the Saturday and they were always a group of people stood infront of the map on the wall, so it was sometimes hard to see.

I noticed a few people moving about during breaks between talks. When the crew wasn't there. I'm not saying that they were doing anything wrong, so I didn't say anything. so I think at least one person should be there to check everyone tags.

As for swapping the tags, I think they should be named and shamed, then banned.

I'd also like to see a map in the welcome pack. I got lost a few times on the Saturday and they were always a group of people stood infront of the map on the wall, so it was sometimes hard to see.

I can't speak for Saturday, because I was on the registration desk, but on Sunday, we did wristband checks before the start of every talk. We also checked the wristbands of anyone coming in and sitting in silver or gold. Sometimes it may not have looked like that, but if we didn't get up to check, that's because we could see the colour from a mile off. Thank goodness for the visible bands!

I just remember on Satuday I was sat at the front row of silver. There was me and about 3 others, by the second talk the row was almost full. I just thought it was stange as I looked around and couldn't see any crew. It gave people the perfect opportunely to move about. Maybe I as just being paranoid. I didn’t notice it on Sunday, but I was in and out during breaks and didn’t wear a coat so my band was easily spotted.

I just remember on Satuday I was sat at the front row of silver. There was me and about 3 others, by the second talk the row was almost full. I just thought it was stange as I looked around and couldn't see any crew. It gave people the perfect opportunely to move about. Maybe I as just being paranoid. I didn’t notice it on Sunday, but I was in and out during breaks and didn’t wear a coat so my band was easily spotted.

As I say, can't really talk about Saturday.

Sunday: We had three crew members on our side (far side) of the hall, myself in the front half and Summer and Claire in the back half, sat by the pillars, checking bands. Kevin was on the near side, by the doors but I don't know who was with him.

Anyone who sat in that front far quarter during the talks was checked by me, anyone who sat in the silver section in the back quarter was checked by Claire and Summer, and I'm sure Kev checked people in the front half on the other side because we were all really strict on wristbands. The only area I'm not confident about but assuming is the back quarter nearest the doors and that would have been due to lack of crew, if anything.

Between every talk we walked down and insisted on wristbands. Anyone ignoring us was made to show a band and we did move several sneaky people.

It may be that there weren't many people in the hall on the Saturday. It wasn't a formally distributed job, we were just told that bodies were needed in there to "police" for people swapping seats, videoing, flash photography and so on. Perhaps this is something that needs looking at, and Stuart needs to formally assign people to the hall, if it was as lacking as you suggest on Saturday.

I know they were being checked on the Sunday cause a load of french girls sat in the back row of the silver (I was a silver sitting with my standard friends in the front row of standard) during the break they were told to move back to where they had been before.

Yepp, that was me. I think you actually pointed that out before I'd checked their wristbands, so thank you!

Ooo another thing about talks, it would be nice to have more general questions, I mean I know this is a Twi con :unsure: and it's great to hear what they have to say about the experience, but it would be nice to hear more things about other projects the guests are working on, their hobbies etc etc :D

It wasnt me who pointed it out, but I remember being really impressed when they started argueing and you stood your ground! Did us a favour because they would have been blocking our view so thanks for that! :D

You're welcome. Just doing my job. The rules are there for a reason and I think it was more a misunderstanding. They (As many people) didn't understand why they couldn't sit in a silver row if it was empty. Once it was explained, they moved.

I know this is random... but could there possibly be more ECLIPSE themed auction pieces at ET5? There was ALOT of new moon stuff... . which was all amazing, but with Eclipse having been and gone it would be fab to have more posters and stuff from that film :)

Yes to this - majorly!!!

1. I didn't actually mind the wristbands in the end as they did their job but do miss the passes for memory value and think photos on them would be a good idea or different colour lanyards for gold etc?

2. Liked how the drinks recep was - was casual and spaced and I got to talk to all the guests and the crew made sure everyone at my table did.

3. Thought the idea of letting group A in first at photo A was great and fair as was row 1 and 2 for A and B only.

4. More healthy options in the food court - I don't drink soda and would like the option of fruit.

5. A bigger stall for Giles to sell his photos as it was very busy.

6. The new brand of tees were better.

7. No smoke machine at parties as it ruined pics and was giving trouble to people with breathing problems.

Edited by Emelso

Something I noticed - no mention was made on stage when the 'surprise' guests were announced that 8x10's would be available at their desks for free. As a result many people Saturday morning flooded the dealers room to buy the same photos that were on Gil/Charlie's desk... :D

Something I noticed - no mention was made on stage when the 'surprise' guests were announced that 8x10's would be available at their desks for free. As a result many people Saturday morning flooded the dealers room to buy the same photos that were on Gil/Charlie's desk... :lol:

I wasnt at the opening ceremony as I was doing party prep, but from what I heard, there was an amazing reaction to the suprise guests, and that is not something that Massive Events do very often, so I would imagine that it was meant to be announced, but got lost in all the excitement.

We had lots of people at Reg Desk on Saturday morning that we told the 10x8s were available free in the signing room :P

Hmm, I registered on Saturday morning and no one told me there had been a change in the line-up at all, let alone that we got 8x10s with it! I cottoned on eventually when I spotted Gil wandering past and overheard someone talking about Charlie, but I had no idea Kirsten had cancelled until I came to the reg desk and asked what on earth was going on.

I don't mind and it didn't cause a problem, just maybe if there's a next time a sign on the reg desk or something might be helpful, in case it slips the reg crew's mind. :smile:

Hmm, I registered on Saturday morning and no one told me there had been a change in the line-up at all, let alone that we got 8x10s with it! I cottoned on eventually when I spotted Gil wandering past and overheard someone talking about Charlie, but I had no idea Kirsten had cancelled until I came to the reg desk and asked what on earth was going on.

I don't mind and it didn't cause a problem, just maybe if there's a next time a sign on the reg desk or something might be helpful, in case it slips the reg crew's mind. :smile:

Thats not a bad idea, we had new schedules at reg desk too for people, but yes, it was mega busy!

There were other ladies at the desk booking new attendees in and to be honest, I was too busy with photo sales to know what they had said.

A printed notice for sudden changes like that is not a bad plan though :D

I had a good weekend but here are my "negative" and other thoughts:

- I wasn't happy to find out at the first author talk that we could get a free pic for Gil and Charlie. I bought the pictures earlier in the morning. I still don't get why we haven't been provided individual pics when we could find individual pics in the dealer room. I would prefer individual pics for ET5 than a montage (especially when you don't have all the guests, I know there was a last minute cancellation). I don't think it is fair to have to buy pics. Nobody said anything about new timetable/pics at registration desk on Friday evening.

- I would prefer a seated thing. The queues for the talks on Sunday were not well organised in my opinion and difficult to hear your group called when you're back of the queue (even though I was the 1st group of silver)

- auction: I had my hand up a couple of times and never been spotted (and I was not the only one).

- as it's been said before, getting the photoshoots back was challenging.

- Saturday morning went very smoothly for queues for photoshoots and autographs but Sunday, the queues took a very long time (Gil and Charlie), I was surprised. Queuing went well but much longer than Saturday.

- it would be nice to have an aera to chill out etc..

- food court: some improvement please as food was not nice at all.