Photoshoot Feedback

BeckiUK

One of the other events I go to has a HORRID red tie dyed background, which makes the blue look absolutely perfect!!

oh dear... sounds gross lol!

It is - starts off lightish red, and goes into the middle a deep red/black kind of colour - which incidently is the colour of my hair, so in some of the pictures, you can barely make out where the hair finishes and the background starts!!

lol whos bright idea is it to have dark backgounds? surely they know the lighting is going to be an issue!

I just find the idea to use one ODD :S! You cant go wrong with a PLAIN light background. :)

Did you complain to them or anything?

No, I didn't! The other annoying thing with this other company was that I had three pics all in a row with different cast members and I was wearing the same grey vest top. In one, my skin looks like I've been converted to a Cullen and my grey top was lighter than it is, the other one my top looked darker than it is and I looked like I'd spent a month in the Carribean and the third one, my grey top looked Green.

It's a shame as I love getting photo shoots, but as you say it can sometimes ruin it if the background isn't right.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I didn't! The other annoying thing with this other company was that I had three pics all in a row with different cast members and I was wearing the same grey vest top. In one, my skin looks like I've been converted to a Cullen and my grey top was lighter than it is, the other one my top looked darker than it is and I looked like I'd spent a month in the Carribean and the third one, my grey top looked Green.

It's a shame as I love getting photo shoots, but as you say it can sometimes ruin it if the background isn't right.

Yeah photos is the big thing for me... although its great to get posters signed im not bothered about much other than photos so thats bad that they came out so awful :thumbup:!! Doesnt sound professional at all!!

At Least the SM photographers are very professional. I do like the the guys alot. If they feel the pics not right they always give you more for free to get a half decent one thats why i like them. and theyre efficient.

Its not their fault the blue backgound makes some of us look crap lol!

But i thought its worth to keep bringing it up so they know that not everyone looks good and are happy and if they ever got the option to get a plain backgound for b shoots then it would be FAB!

I know theres alot that love the blue one too and thats cool... we cant all be pleased lol :).

Edited by BeckiUK

At Least the SM photographers are very professional.

:thumbup: All Hail Malcolm :thumbup:

And welcome to Ciaran, who did an awesome job over the weekend, especially when the ceiling decided it didnt want to stay up in the photoshoot room :YAHOO:

Edited by Beechy

4)No one has been ungrateful this is a FEEDBACK THREAD!!!!!!!

Take a look at 2 little quotes I picked out:

haaaaate the blue blackground!

Yep, the blue background is bad - 'specially as i'm so pale it does make me look washy.

SM will sort it out - won't you? lol

Look at my post. Did I say ungrateful? Was I overly harsh at all? I realise this is a feedback thread and people are giving feedback. I was giving mine about having been to SM events since the start. Not the start of Twilight events, but since SM started! I like Star Trek... wouldn't it be nice for me to have a Trek themed backdrop to all of my Trek photoshots? Yes, it would be nice, but SM don't use one. People at the Twilight events get the nice backdrop for most of their shoots, and the blue for the odd few. But people always find something to moan about! I was simply saying that those people should be happy they have a nice backdrop for some of their photos at least.

You have a chip on your shoulder to have read my post in such a backward way, and you should take it off instead of SHOUTING at people about their opinions!

...... And the new photographer is Ciaran, who is member Kiwi7 on here. Really nice guy, I'm glad people have been happy with him :thumbup:

Edited by Lizzy

1)Ive only ever had Blue backgrounds from SM events

2)Its a dated background... most proffesional backgrounds are plain/white these days!

3)No one is saying the background has to have Twilight written all over it. could be a white table cloth for all i care

4)No one has been ungrateful this is a FEEDBACK THREAD!!

Strange, most events I have seen have been a variation on blue/grey, either plain or with a pattern. I have only come across a couple of events that have been white/cream. Also a few strange choices, dark red, a green...ewww!

I expect a lot of professional photographers would dispute 'white only'. It depends on the mood that they are trying to caputre for the final image. White possibly may be the worst for technical reasons. The camera metering system tends to interpert white as 18% grey which means the photographer may have to invoke exposure compensation which could then lead to blown highlights in other areas.

Like you say elsewhere it is personal choice. I don't like white myself (although it is useful if you want to photoshop the background and replace it). The current blue that SM/ME works fine for me. I didn't like the previous backgroun which was darker blue!

Another factor is what you and the guest are wearing. So easy to 'vanish' into the background and just be a floating head :thumbup:

4)No one has been ungrateful this is a FEEDBACK THREAD!!!!!!!

Take a look at 2 little quotes I picked out:

haaaaate the blue blackground!

Yep, the blue background is bad - 'specially as i'm so pale it does make me look washy.

SM will sort it out - won't you? lol

Look at my post. Did I say ungrateful? Was I overly harsh at all? I realise this is a feedback thread and people are giving feedback. I was giving mine about having been to SM events since the start. Not the start of Twilight events, but since SM started! I like Star Trek... wouldn't it be nice for me to have a Trek themed backdrop to all of my Trek photoshots? Yes, it would be nice, but SM don't use one. People at the Twilight events get the nice backdrop for most of their shoots, and the blue for the odd few. But people always find something to moan about! I was simply saying that those people should be happy they have a nice backdrop for some of their photos at least.

You have a chip on your shoulder to have read my post in such a backward way, and you should take it off instead of SHOUTING at people about their opinions!

...... And the new photographer is Ciaran, who is member Kiwi7 on here. Really nice guy, I'm glad people have been happy with him :thumbup:

I Just found your post abit snotty... reguardless of what youve highlight... none of it sounded ungrateful and i dont have a chip. Weve all been rather nice in our opinions thanks and ive not shouted other than highlighted the topic starter!

moving on... ! If you got an issue with my supposed 'chip' email me!!!!

There was a small pile of those forms sitting on the counter (a clock room, possibly, it was right next to the ramp) opposite the room where Photo Session A (I think) was taking place on the Sunday morning. They looked abandoned.

Can assure you they were not abandoned. They were there so that when people came up to me ( queue lady on A queue Sun) wanting to know where to get slips I could tell them to pick one up fill it out and take it to reg desk. I did have alot of queries. I think there also were ones at the reg desk and there would have definately been some behind the photo distribution area itself:)

K

1)Ive only ever had Blue backgrounds from SM events

2)Its a dated background... most proffesional backgrounds are plain/white these days!

Strange, most events I have seen have been a variation on blue/grey, either plain or with a pattern. I have only come across a couple of events that have been white/cream. Also a few strange choices, dark red, a green...ewww!

For obv reasons, I can't quote other organiser names, but I've been to a few, and I've either had shoots, or friends have had shoots, and agreed- I've only ever seen blue or blue/grey used at events, unless there's props involved, such as the white Twilight backdrop, or a Heroes map that was once used. White is a modern thing for photoshoots, but people need to remember, these aren't studios that are used for the shoots- they are random function rooms that aren't meant for those purposes, and so sometimes the lighting is difficult to control. I've had the same blue backdrop in a lot of my SM photos, but at each event, it's always a different shade, and that would be down to the lighting at wherever the event is. I know at the first Heroes event, a few photos cane out with the people looking bright white as something went wrong with the lighting, and they needed some serious airbrushing. I'm sure there would be a fair few complaints at these Twilight cons if that happened!

I Just found your post abit snotty... reguardless of what youve highlight... none of it sounded ungrateful and i dont have a chip. Weve all been rather nice in our opinions thanks and ive not shouted other than highlighted the topic starter!

moving on... ! If you got an issue with my supposed 'chip' email me!!!!

I didn't even realise that you were the topic starter, and my original post wasn't directed at you at all. I saw the word "hate" used around here, and I thought it was a bit OTT for a "feedback" thread, and just tried to help people see that they don't have it so bad after all. It's up to you if you see my tone as snotty, when I was only trying to make people a bit happier about what they have. People come to expect a certian standard at SM/ME events, be it a nice backdrop or a cool party theme. Some other cons aren't like that at all, so you should always be grateful with the extra little touches that make the con special, rather than being so hateful (and I say that as people have said they hate it) about a bit of blue!

I won't email you as I have no issue- it's up to you if you want to see the negative rather than the positive, and type so quickly out of anger that your post barely makes sense.

I just gave my feedback on the 2 different backgrounds is all :smile: Personally, looking through the photo thread, I think they all look great- blue or white!

I'm sure, back in the Heroes day, someone asked for the map background to be used for all photoshoots, similar to this, instead of the blue, or a second one, and the answer was, it was a one off, and too expensive to have a second done as it's a special material compared to the standard blue. Or something.

I've had the same blue backdrop in a lot of my SM photos, but at each event, it's always a different shade, and that would be down to the lighting at wherever the event is.
Combination of things, the lighting, and the exposure settins on the camera.

I agree there are more negative posts than postive about the backgrounds in this post which does come across a tad ungrateful. Like you I would love a themed background for Warp 10 (the respective bridges!) or at Chevron (the Stargate). I think the main issue people are having though is that unfortunately there was only one Twighlight background which makes the blue background stand out/look odd. I tend to agree with that it is a shame.

I've had the same blue backdrop in a lot of my SM photos, but at each event, it's always a different shade, and that would be down to the lighting at wherever the event is.
Combination of things, the lighting, and the exposure settins on the camera.

I agree there are more negative posts than postive about the backgrounds in this post which does come across a tad ungrateful. Like you I would love a themed background for Warp 10 (the respective bridges!) or at Chevron (the Stargate). I think the main issue people are having though is that unfortunately there was only one Twighlight background which makes the blue background stand out/look odd. I tend to agree with that it is a shame.

Agreed!

Please try to keep this topic for attendee feedback on the photo shoots.

It's always important to hear, so we don't want the real comments lost in amongst little arguments :smile:

Sorted :)

Lizzy i think you deffo have more experience in this photshoot things... I just dont want everyone to come across as bad cos they express not liking it because clearly its not to everyones taste. But 'hating it' can be offensive to some people like you said... issue sorted.

Edited by BeckiUK

• Moderators

It just comes down to personal taste really, just like passes/wristbands etc.

I don't think anyone's being ungrateful, but just giving opinions which ME will always want to hear :smile:

Whether they'd ever consider changing a background or not I don't know, but they always want feedback.

It just comes down to personal taste really, just like passes/wristbands etc.

I don't think anyone's being ungrateful, but just giving opinions which ME will always want to hear :smile:

Whether they'd ever consider changing a background or not I don't know, but they always want feedback.

Well said David - and I am sure Becki didn't mean to come across any other way than give her opinion - like with the passes, I don't think you'd please everyone .... same with guests also..... its swings and roundabouts!!

I personally would have preferred my blue background ones to be in portrait/or closer up than they were - theres too much background in the photos....

I know i dont expect them to get rid of it any time soon lol.

But again that room.... i think the room didnt help the pics this time... cos before the A photos were in the cafe room and the b photos were in this years A room. And i was ok with my phtotos from feb... Doesnt mean i likes the backgound tho cos i never have lol!

• Moderators

I have known people to ask the photographer to take them a certain way before i.e. landscape or portrait if you have a preference.

I don't think it'd really be possible at an ET just because of the amount of people they have to go through - you can imagine how long it'd take to do everyone if each person has their own specific instructions.

Not quite sure how to get around that really.

I have known people to ask the photographer to take them a certain way before i.e. landscape or portrait if you have a preference.

I don't think it'd really be possible at an ET just because of the amount of people they have to go through - you can imagine how long it'd take to do everyone if each person has their own specific instructions.

Not quite sure how to get around that really.

Well my main concern half the time is actually asking the guests to bend down haha!!! But I will consider asking the photographer next year if I remember :smile:

I always ask for my photos to be taken in portrait and have explained my preference to Malcolm on a couple of occassions. These days, I hardly even have to open my mouth to ask :)