Hotel staff!

Avengers7

I thought they were great, we made a total tip of the table Sunday night and one of the guys just laughed it off and said it was fine.

And the bar manager gave us all a free drink.

Although, I did walk past the front desk and hear "....yeah well it's a Doctor Who convention..." said in a very patronising and offending tone. They were also being rather loud about one of the guest's rooms, which I don't THINK we were meant to hear...

I reckon it's just who you run into, and at what point in their 12 hour shifts...

When I checked out, they tried to charge me for a meal and drinks which I'd never actually had! They had to cancel the charge when they couldn't find the docket to prove that I'd ordered anything to be charged to my room, but it was still pretty awkward!

But other than that, I thought the staff were largely nice.

I didn't stay in the hotel myself but all the service I got from the staff including those in the restaurant where I ate on Saturaday night was very good.The bar staff were also courteous and as prompt as they could be when things were busy or problems occurred (till breaking down) , and when things were needed by crew members they quickly obliged.

So I must have been lucky

I found them nice.... The night manager was awesome bless him.... Even though afew prope had to tell him there was no hot water and he found out the boiler broke down or something!!

When we tried to book a room for next Hub though they had someone at desk who couldn't take reservations as they didn't know how to do it and no one was gonna be there til Monday to sort it... It got sorted in the end though!!

I had no problem with the staff either, they were all really nice and very helpful in my experience. The guy who checked us in the on the Saturday morning was particularly helpful, sad to hear that wasn't the same for everyone, I love the Park Inn :P

Reception and housekeeping staff were wonderful in my experience, particularly Jason (night manager) and Sophie. However, I did get the feeling that not enough people were empowered properly to be of real help, thanks in large part to a massive system change. (More on that in a bit.)

My roommate and I both had problems with some members of the restaurant staff when it wasn't breakfast time. So did two of the guests and at least one of their handlers in my presence. There were two specific (long-term) members of said staff who caused the majority of issues, one of whom those who work at Reception know and loathe. I've had and/or witnessed difficult experiences with both people in previous years, as well.

I didn't report the problem staff members to the hotel, as they were swamped and I didn't want to waste the energy I had there in a rather nasty fight. However, I didn't appreciate the snippy, poorly-veiled remarks made by those whom I should have reported about the convention attendees, and I really didn't like their controlling attitude and lack of the most basic expertise when it came to serving meals, particularly in the restaurant. Orders were taken and/or served incorrectly, staff didn't listen to guests and we were treated with cold rudeness and condescension whenever they were having a problem with their technology or new rules.

I know for a fact that one issue was that they typically had only one chef on to serve both the bar and the restaurant patrons (who were very few), and that another was that they were changing over the entire operating system for the hotel and had had only eleven hours to learn it. I can understand the frustration and perturbation anyone might experience under those circumstances. However, as one of the guests pointed out, they shouldn't make this the customers' problem, and it really did make for some nasty encounters that weren't the fault of guests or attendees.

I'm saying all of this not to slam the Park Inn (which I generally like very much and would choose over the Hilton Metropole any day) or Showmasters, but to give feedback concerning experiences there that perhaps should be brought to SM's attention. There were real problems with some restaurant staff during the meals auctioned off with the guests (I was one of the winners) that interfered with the enjoyment of something for which we paid pretty serious money, and I think that needs to be taken into serious consideration when planning such auctions next time.

I'm glad it wasnt just me. I have contacted the Park Inn with my comments - especially about the rude and ignorant staff in the restaurant both at breakfast on the Satuday and especially at the meal I had on the Saturday evening. Whether a new system is starting or not the customer is always right and should be treated with manners.

I have never had difficulty in the Hilton and really love staying there, however, due to some of the staff and some small difficulties with the room, I am thinking about staying in the Ibis for the next one.

Edited by reddragon