Show Opinions

Avengers7

moshing, it's dangerous

Anyone who saw me hobbling around the Hub has now seen first hand evidence. My knee was originally buggered in a mosh pit when I was watching the Damned (as a former punk band they have a 'traditional' mosh pit) in 2004 and it unfortunately has never been the same since so if I forget to remember it's dodgy I can end up aggravating it when drunkenly bouncing around a dance floor (which happened on the Friday night at hub).

Having said that, I'm not going to stop drunkenly bouncing around the dance floor at future Hubs.

I really enjoyed this hub, even being shouted at by Kai Owen when I wasn't there in his talk - I was actually at an intimate with Murray - and it was hilarious when Kai turned up at the nail place where I'd gone *aftter* the intimate to tell me off in person.

I don't think the sound for the gig was as good as it could have been, but that will have likely been due to the limitations of the PA system and stuff and therefore not easily dealt with. Even so, the band was brill as usual and it was great to see the other lads (Nick, Clarky and Rhys) enjoying themselves at the parties.

I enjoyed all the odd looks I got from the crew and organisers when I waved my Hub programme at them and asked them to sign it. For me, it's a smashing little memento and reminds me that it's not just the guests who make the con a good one. If you're a crew member and *didn't* sign my programme, I'm sorry I didn't nobble you but by the end of the weekend my memory and my brain were fried.

My only disappointment was the Sunday night party - or the lack thereof. I ended up having an absolute scream playing consequences but I feel we were mislead when we were asked for a show of hands in the main hall earlier that day about who was staying for the 'party' as it implied that there would be a proper party with music and dancing as opposed to some pretty tables and nothing else. As ever, we made the best of it but I know a lot of people wouldn't have forked out the money for an extra nights stay in the hotel if they'd known in advance it was going to be the way it turned out.

I already have my ticket bought and my room booked for next Hub as it is just before my birthday and I can't think of a better place for a birthday party.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only disappointment was the Sunday night party - or the lack thereof.

Okay, now I am curious - and please forgive me if that sounds really stupid. :D

What is everyone's understanding of a dead dog party?

The website says "two themed parties" and "dead dog party" on Sunday night.

I'm asking because there was a similar situation with the Sunday night party of the first Chevron which basically had the bar open and a couple of tables there.

I was wondering about the lack of music too and was told by some other attendees that this was just the way dead dog parties were held, everyone sitting together and chatting and remembering their favorite weekend moments.

I thought I had missed something (I have been going to conventions forever, but back then was really the first time ever I actually had heard that term). But now it looks that me being caught off guard there is not as much an exception as I thought it was.

Does that mean we have a volunteer? ;)

I'm afraid I'm not qualified to drive so no :P

Well you could ask Katie. :P

The website when I look at it says chill out party. That to me means a party where yes you relax, but you have music and entertainment, it's not like the friday and saturdays parties that last until 3 in the morning with people so drunk they dont remember it in the morning.

Though also, underneath it says Party Themes Announced! - Coming Soon! so I never really listen to what is said on there as it's not constantly updated. It was just the way that it was asked at the talks who would be there and the guy behind the bar thinking that it was a proper party that makes me think that maybe what would be going on there would need to be communicated a bit better.

Also people that had been to previous events had told me that the sunday nigt chill out parties before had had entertainment with music and other stuff. I guess it being my first time meant I interpreted it differently, so clarification of what to expect would be helpful as all other things seem to be covered in enough detail in advance except the Sunday night.

What is everyone's understanding of a dead dog party?

At previous Hubs (I've been to 3 and 4) there has been a Sunday night party. With Music. The one at Hub 4 was more fun IMO it was in the same area that had been set out this Sunday so it had a more cosy feel to it than being in a big room, but we still had official music albeit at a lower volume than the Friday and Saturday night parties. Because of that, I did not expect there to be nothing laid on except tables.

It was great of the peeps with the laptops and stuff to get some music going but I didn't have a cat in hells chance of hearing it even when stood next to the computer so a set up with better speakers would be more beneficial, even if the party-goers supply the music!

If we'd been told that there *wasn't* going to be anything laid on except for the tables being set up (and I did like the table decor) we'd have been prepared and wouldn't have had the same let-down feeling.

As I've said, I did have a laugh in the end, it's just not what I was expecting.

moshing, it's dangerous

Anyone who saw me hobbling around the Hub has now seen first hand evidence. My knee was originally buggered in a mosh pit when I was watching the Damned (as a former punk band they have a 'traditional' mosh pit) in 2004 and it unfortunately has never been the same since so if I forget to remember it's dodgy I can end up aggravating it when drunkenly bouncing around a dance floor (which happened on the Friday night at hub).

Not relevant to the thread really, but I love the Damned! Love Song is the best punk song of all time...

Oh, and thanks for asking me to sign your program! :headscratch:

I want to thank all the crew for making it a great weekend (loved the freak show!), but especially want to say thank you to Too Tall and DeeJay. I have hearing difficulties and find it hard to hear things even with an hearing aid so rely on lip reading. We couldn't have the screens on during Sunday's talks and I couldn't see the guests so Too Tall kindly moved us to a seat where I was able to see the stage.

I also have problems determining what song is played at the parties and DeeJay kindly lets me look at the laptop so I can see what the song is rather than having to wait until its half over before realising what is being played!

Really enjoyed the weekend, especially the Saturday party. BG not really my type of music but still enjoyed being up front by the stage having an attempt at moshing! It was really great to see the band in the bar later and talking to the attendees - would love to see them at future Hubs :blink:

Kai made my weekend on Sunday when I got his autograph - he remembered me and my sister from the bar on Saturday and complimented us on our costume :headscratch:

Can't wait for the next one - really looking forward to seeing James. Would really love to see John (know this is highly unlikey due to filming!) and Gareth there as well as the talks would be excellent!

The website when I look at it says chill out party. That to me means a party where yes you relax, but you have music and entertainment, it's not like the friday and saturdays parties that last until 3 in the morning with people so drunk they dont remember it in the morning.

Sorry, I could have sworn I read dead dog party there somewhere. That's what it was called at Chevron and probably the name got stuck in my head somehow.

Thanks for your explanations, and thanks Darth Ally too. It's a bit late, but now I don't feel out of place anymore for wondering back then. :(

I forgot to put in my earlier post

The saturday night party was fab especially with Blue Gillespie playing I've seen them a few times and they never disappoint and are a brilliant live band.

Plus having the candy floss there was a good idea as i love candy floss :)