We need more crew for this years event

showmasters

I applied for this one, but haven't heard anything yet ;). Being at The Hub for the weekend and having a brilliant time really makes me want to crew for Collectormania events, the crew always seem so happy and kind and talkative even when they are rushing around doing everything possible to make the event run as best as possible for the guests and attendees.

In the Crew section near the bottom of this forum, there's always a topic saying when the confirmations have been sent out. So you can check there to make sure you've not missed out on receiving anything.

You WILL get an answer either way :D

Thanks :D Didn't think I wouldn't get one, but sometimes I don't check my junk folder on my emails enough and I do get some strange ones still coming through to my inbox but perfectly normal ones going to junk. At least I know now to check on here every so often to make sure.

I just have so much fun at the events I just feel like I really want to give something back. That makes me sound like I'm begging now, oh dear, better stop talking...

• Moderators

:D not at all .. it's exactly the reason why there's an update placed on here .. lots of people have problems with junk email, so at least you'll know when you should have received one :D

And enthusiasm is a good thing!

I don't speak english very weel so I think I can't be crew lol :D

im willing to bet you in particular would be snapped up fast by SM if you wanted to crew heavenly, regardless of how good your english is.

myself, humm, its never been something ive considered to do. Id hate to crew a con were doing so meant missing a photoshoot with a guest I wanted to meet, Im also very shy around women and famous ppl so would not be all that helpful I would assume. although I reckon Id make a good back up with tootall with rowdy attendees ;-) I maybe shy but when I go serious and forceful, you will know about it. and with my many years hotel experience I know about customer service. but yer Id hate to miss something, plus I have an active job with differing hours, long hours also, Attending these cons after my work week is hard enough, dont think id like to crew also, not that sm would want me lol. probably the opposite lol.

saying that, the crew always seem to have fun, always seem to get along and always seem very much a tight family and friends which would be nice. if anyone is considering it I say go for it! Im betting its a worthwhile experience with a few perks.

• Moderators

I don't speak english very weel so I think I can't be crew lol :D

im willing to bet you in particular would be snapped up fast by SM if you wanted to crew heavenly, regardless of how good your english is.

myself, humm, its never been something ive considered to do. Id hate to crew a con were doing so meant missing a photoshoot with a guest I wanted to meet, Im also very shy around women and famous ppl so would not be all that helpful I would assume. although I reckon Id make a good back up with tootall with rowdy attendees ;-) I maybe shy but when I go serious and forceful, you will know about it. and with my many years hotel experience I know about customer service. but yer Id hate to miss something, plus I have an active job with differing hours, long hours also, Attending these cons after my work week is hard enough, dont think id like to crew also, not that sm would want me lol. probably the opposite lol.

saying that, the crew always seem to have fun, always seem to get along and always seem very much a tight family and friends which would be nice. if anyone is considering it I say go for it! Im betting its a worthwhile experience with a few perks.

I'm a shy person & it has never stopped me :D

Id hate to crew a con were doing so meant missing a photoshoot with a guest I wanted to meet

You can be allowed the time for photoshoots while you're crewing, as long as it's not more than a couple. You need to make you let your pit boss know and they'll arrange cover for you if necessary.

the crew always seem to have fun, always seem to get along and always seem very much a tight family and friends which would be nice. if anyone is considering it I say go for it! Im betting its a worthwhile experience with a few perks.

We do have fun and get along really well.

If you think you might like to give it a go, volunteer to do just one day and see how you get on. If you don't like it, you don't have to do it again. But I can guarantee that you will :chair:

• Moderators

You can be allowed the time for photoshoots while you're crewing, as long as it's not more than a couple. You need to make you let your pit boss know and they'll arrange cover for you if necessary.

You're clearly not familiar with him then :chair:

You're clearly not familiar with him then :chair:

lol

:poki:

Edited by timelord81r

Work for us is the same, TL.

I thought about it before and I decided against it. One off the off-puts for me was at the last CM:MK when people were getting Irate over not having their Patrick Stewart Photoshoots back. The poor girls were having a tough time, but took it in their stride.

Sometimes, I wish people would learn patience. However, my job is too demanding as it is that I use cons as my relaxing time.

However, the crew are the best, and I have a lot of respect for them, except one I met once. Talked really badly to me and I just thought he was so arrogant. Fair play he apologised later though.

I don't speak english very weel so I think I can't be crew lol :(

I'm a shy person & it has never stopped me :(

I must say, when i was approached by a french woman who wanted to know how much longer a talk lasted, i was lucky i remembered some french because the other member of crew just looked at me as if to say 'help' haha. i ended up getting a smile and a thankyou which is always greatly appreciated :clap:. it's quite good if you can speak a european language as well as English, even if your english isn't great.

I'm sure there are a few crewing positions you could handle with minimal speaking :) if you're ever stuck, just ask a nearby crew member?

Edited by Chantelliosis

Crewing is always worth giving up your weekend. I've always had fun and you're never too old to crew. If you don't know anything just ask - we don't bite and we're always happy to help out the noobs. :D

I've done VT, guest assistant, cosplay, cash, photoshoot and a couple of others I've forgotten.

Perks? What perks?? Ooooh, lunch! That's a perk. I think?

:D

Edited by Lala Collins

There are lots of perks, I think anyway.

1 *You can straight to the front of the photo queues (or pretty close to the front), even ahead of the gold pass holders

2 *You can join the back of any autograph queue without needing a VT

3 Free lunch plus snacks through the day

4 Saturday night party (sometimes)

5 Option of staying in crew hotel which will be sorted for you

6 Working with the best crew in the business

And that's just for starters. Anyone who wants to know more just give it and go and find out for themselves.

* no more than a couple in a day though if you're crewing and you do need to make sure your pit boss knows and has arranged cover.

I nearly forgot the most important one - you get to make lots of new friends!

Edited by dwarfbabe

Becoming part of the SM Crew is great, you really feel like a part of the family and that you are giving something back. No job is ever boring, at least not from my experience its always fast paced and you get swept away in the moment. I'd say my favorite job has been working on the talk areas despite all the madness but there are plenty of other jobs that you'll get to try from the Info desk to guest assistant. How many people can say they spent there day guarding the Batmobile? I find I'm never short of a story or two. SM's always like to mix it up for you so you get to try different areas and jobs. By the time the day comes to an end you are exhausted but you're wondering where the time went and more importantly how many weeks until the next show! :rolleyes:

This whole post is made of win. So much more succinct than mine. I was gushing way too much!

1. No job is ever boring - So damn true. Even if you're doing a more "mundane" task like VTs, you get to chat to people, meet people, answer questions... it's all about giving back.

2. A bit I didn't cover but this is completely true! It took me a while to feel like part of the family. Not because they're not great, but because it's a very large, very extended family. This last weekend was my fifth (?) event and I really did feel like one of the family this time, as I did at LFCC and at MK. So.... three events until you don't feel like an outsider? But it really is a family environment.

3. Muffin, I didn't do Batmobile duty, but I did see the people sat next to Tumbler. That was possibly one of the stranger jobs that I've seen!!

4. The story bit is certainly true. Wait until people ask you what you were doing this weekend and you can honestly tell them that you served drinks for the first man to walk in space, or Darth Vader took the mickey out of your laugh!

5. Just over two and I can't wait! I was honestly checking my inbox every day this summer to see when the next crew applications were coming out!

babysitting the bat mobile ftw. i did that too!! LOL i clocked up around 3 hours of that haha

Hi All,

After attending my first LFCC a few months ago, and chatting with some of the crew, the first thing I did was put in my crew application for CM London 10. I've been accepted, and will be a nervous noob on Friday morning for set-up. *gulp*

Barry

Hi All,

After attending my first LFCC a few months ago, and chatting with some of the crew, the first thing I did was put in my crew application for CM London 10. I've been accepted, and will be a nervous noob on Friday morning for set-up. *gulp*

Barry

My biggest piece of advice? Don't be offended when people can't remember your name. Wendy still doesn't remember my name, but sees me and goes "Oh, you're the languages lady. Good good". Mara just calls me "Dolphin Girl" (though she may have learned my name at Autographica) and I nearly dropped dead with shock when Penfold referred to me by name!

::

My biggest piece of advice? Don't be offended when people can't remember your name. Wendy still doesn't remember my name, but sees me and goes "Oh, you're the languages lady. Good good". Mara just calls me "Dolphin Girl" (though she may have learned my name at Autographica) and I nearly dropped dead with shock when Penfold referred to me by name!

I remeber you from C16 :P

I <3 crewing, Im still kinda new to it but looking forward to London. Im trying to recruit friends from uni to come along too, newbies. Id reccomend anyone should at least try crewing if they are a fan

Hi All,

Barry

I'm a London Bus Driver, I'm used to being called all the names under the sun, and I'm awful with names myself, so anything polite and non-defamatory is fine by me!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

awww I'm probs a bit late in finding this topic B) but I'm gunna reply anyways!

started attending SM events at C4 aka the Hobbit Collectormania :poki: Sept/Oct 2003 and started crewing at C6 Sept/Oct 2004. it's been the coolest 6/7years! :( Jason et al are my big extended family and I will say that I have met most of my best friends thanks to SM and crewing :thumbup: and am still meeting people! only really got to know Welcome Earthling and Tracy Jane (aka dolphin :clap:) while crewing the last Twilight con then we figured out we are all Stargate fans and got to hang out at Chevron all weekend, rock on ;) so you make new friends every time and you meet up with the rest of the family too

I personally love the info desk too, it's one of my fave jobs! helping people and explaining how it all works and I like giving out the VT tickets too because you get to talk to the fans and help them :lol:

there are jobs I don't like as much of course, front door with no turnstyles at LFaCC was rather manic! :WINCE: but I found out that a crew friend I'd made at C16 was also there yey so I don't really believe in crappy jobs but it's more what you can make from it ;)

anyways due to the latenessish of the hour, I'm babbling :D so I'm just gunna quote Emm again because she pretty much summed it up perfectly:

Becoming part of the SM Crew is great, you really feel like a part of the family and that you are giving something back. No job is ever boring, at least not from my experience its always fast paced and you get swept away in the moment. I'd say my favorite job has been working on the talk areas despite all the madness but there are plenty of other jobs that you'll get to try from the Info desk to guest assistant. How many people can say they spent there day guarding the Batmobile? I find I'm never short of a story or two. SM's always like to mix it up for you so you get to try different areas and jobs. By the time the day comes to an end you are exhausted but you're wondering where the time went and more importantly how many weeks until the next show! :D

cu you all at CML (or the EMS or whatever we are calling it these days - I normally just refer to it as London or Olympia hehe!!!) and then we have to wait till March for the next one, OMG :o

surfy sah xx