Latest guest announcement - DENIS LAWSON

showmasters

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You probably won't get another chance :thumbup:

I'm not sure that's necessarily the case for photos - unless you wanted him to hold up a sign saying I was Wedge! he may still be willing to pose for photos outside the stage door, quite a lot of actors do. Loads that have never done signing events.

Only chance of a professional shot, very probably. Depends how essential that is for the TImelord these days!

photo shoots are always essential :P lol

• Moderators

Will it now also set the new price structure for background characters? Hell I remember paying £3 for autos back in the day!!

There are plenty of background characters that have been first time signers that have been cheaper, and will continue to be so.

Jason keeps them down wherever possible, so no.

photo shoots are always essential :thumbup: lol

Ah, but you make do with a shop/pub shot with your own camera when you have to :)

If I lived in London I'd be at theatres twice a week - as I'm not I just combine it with other events - but I've got some great autos I'd not have otherwise - Jemina Rooper, Zoe Wannarmaker (on the LFCC weekend) Richard Wilson, James Fleet, James Earl Jones...Indira, and Sheridan Smith is lovely as well. Poople got photos with half of that lot.

I hadn't bothered reading this guest announcement, I just took it for granted that I'd meet him for playing Wedge and his Hornblower role. But seeing that he's £20 has put me off. To me anyway, no matter how rare his signings are, he's on the same level as Biggs and those sort of actors. He was good in Hornblower, but not enough to justify me paying £20 for his auto. For me, £20 is for major characters from tv shows or films I love.

Edited by Zagreus

To be honest I expected it would be £20 per autograph for him. I think it seems reasonably fair in comparison, seeing as he is a very rare signer.

I'll be really glad to meet him again as I've two things for him to sign and it will be interesting to see how he finds the experience of a convention. Still, even if he enjoys it I doubt he will be making it a regular occurance.

I'd love to see Carrie and Mark as well, I haven't met Carrie yet so she and Irvin Kershner would be two SW guests who I would really like to see. I think they would be more than £20.

I'd rather you ditch a load of smaller guests and go for a Mark or a carrie

If SM get the chance to get a big guest - doesn't matter if Mark or Carrie for Star Wars, John Barrowman for Torchwood or else - they'll never say: "no, we got 10 small guests from Star Wars already, we don't have room for you anymore, that would be too much."

The stormtroopers, rebel officers and alike are there because Jason is a big fan. They'll always be invited and will never be a replacement for a more well known guest.

photo shoots are always essential :( lol

Ah, but you make do with a shop/pub shot with your own camera when you have to :)

If I lived in London I'd be at theatres twice a week - as I'm not I just combine it with other events - but I've got some great autos I'd not have otherwise - Jemina Rooper, Zoe Wannarmaker (on the LFCC weekend) Richard Wilson, James Fleet, James Earl Jones...Indira, and Sheridan Smith is lovely as well. Poople got photos with half of that lot.

never gone to theatre doors, not sure how it would work?? and to be honest dont have the time to camp out waiting and would also feel bad if I hadnt seen there show lol.

photo shoots I prefer, no rsik of a blur, a missed shot or what have you, and I hate over the table bending over as my size shows even more.

Will it now also set the new price structure for background characters? Hell I remember paying £3 for autos back in the day!!

There are plenty of background characters that have been first time signers that have been cheaper, and will continue to be so.

Jason keeps them down wherever possible, so no.

Yeah I know - was just trying to get a rise out of people - it's been ages since there was a good argument on this forum, it's getting boring - surely you remember the days when you were accused of being SM's bit** and only moderating people you don't like! :thumbup:

I'll pay it because of the rarity and it's another on the old poster but tbh he isn't Christopher Lloyd or John Hurt that people would look at the photo and say oh that's ..........he was in etc etc so think £20 for photo is steep - £20 for auto is fine.

• Moderators

Yeah I know - was just trying to get a rise out of people - it's been ages since there was a good argument on this forum, it's getting boring - surely you remember the days when you were accused of being SM's bit** and only moderating people you don't like! :angel:

I'll pay it because of the rarity and it's another on the old poster but tbh he isn't Christopher Lloyd or John Hurt that people would look at the photo and say oh that's ..........he was in etc etc so think £20 for photo is steep - £20 for auto is fine.

:thumbup: yes I remember those days .. didn't realise they were gone :D

I must admit I agree with the logic in terms of a photo when I'm purchasing. I do prefer to pay more for more recognisable ones, rather than ones that have been behind a mask or in the background etc. But I guess it's difficult to say "oi! no one will know your face!" ..

• Showmasters Admin

Whilst I think £20 is a bit steep I do understand why - however won't be getting auto and photo. Maybe photo should've been cheaper.

my mum remembers when cars cost £150 new and a 3 bed house cost £3000 nice fact to :thumbup:

jason

well this is his first and maybe only time to sign so if you want it there he is if not thats fine i know of 15 fans now coming over from the US now for him and i know of US events that are now being asked if they can get him over there but it looks like we are going to be the only one so there you have it .

all we can do is give you the chance to meet the guest the rest is down to you :D

see you soon

jason :angel:

The way I look at it, Denis Lawson is worth more than someone like Alan Harris or Jeremey Bulloch - both of whom had very limited roles, yet charge £15.

£20 is a more than fair price for a character who was clearly portrayed by the man (ie - he's not in a suit and mask) and who had dialogue in all three films.

It is totally justified by comparison to the prices people happily pay for other guests.

Where are you coming from again? Train tickets to London really aren't that expensive if you book in advance.

Swindon, and I would be bringing the whole family as well so it's the cost of their tickets as well, and I'm looking at £100'

Drive up to Hounslow West or Hounslow East or Osterley tube stations. Park there for £2. Tube to venue £4.50 per person each way.

Whilst I think £20 is a bit steep I do understand why - however won't be getting auto and photo. Maybe photo should've been cheaper.

my mum remembers when cars cost £150 new and a 3 bed house cost £3000 nice fact to :(

jason

well this is his first and maybe only time to sign so if you want it there he is if not thats fine i know of 15 fans now coming over from the US now for him and i know of US events that are now being asked if they can get him over there but it looks like we are going to be the only one so there you have it .

all we can do is give you the chance to meet the guest the rest is down to you ;)

see you soon

jason :D

It wasn't a dig at prices at all just stating that I've been collecting for a long time - jeez I'm old and mature enough to realise that prices go up. I will definately be meeting him and getting my poster signed - You've done well to pull this one off! My comment was more about the photoshoot.

I'm not criticising although you do realise that with Denis and Ahmed both signing you're going to have to pull something special out of the bag for next year!! :P

Billy Dee Williams was £20 last year and he had a much bigger part and was a very rare signer too. I'll make up my mind on the day. If there's no table photos then almost certainly a no.

:(

Of course he's going to have table photos.. I doubt Showmasters will count on folks bringing just their own posters/figures/stills. whether or not there'll be ones you'll like by the time you get to the table... well that's another matter.. LOL

I suspect by "table photos", TPHW means a chance to get a photo of himself with the guest leaning over the table instead of at a formal photoshoot, rather than the simple provision of images for signing...

Edited by TommyT

I suspect by "table photos", TPHW means a chance to get a photo of himself with the guest leaning over the table instead of at a formal photoshoot, rather than the simple provision of images for signing...

That's my understanding too.

Of course things can always be different on the day (he may insist doing photos like Mark Hamill did elsewhere), but I really wouldn't get my hopes up high there. Just my personal opinion.

Billy Dee Williams was £20 last year and he had a much bigger part and was a very rare signer too. I'll make up my mind on the day. If there's no table photos then almost certainly a no.

:(

Of course he's going to have table photos.. I doubt Showmasters will count on folks bringing just their own posters/figures/stills. whether or not there'll be ones you'll like by the time you get to the table... well that's another matter.. LOL

You suspect correctly! I'm spending so much on autos this time there's no more for photos. I'm not one for photo shoots just a little proof/keepsake I met the guests

:D

OMG! I never thought I'd see the day. When all my friends wanted to be Jedi, I wanted to be an XWing pilot. Wedge is my fave SW charactor and the EU books and comics really helped to flesh the charactor out. Ive just told my hubby he's baby sitting that weekend because I'm going to London and I'm not coming back till Ive met Wedge.

Farmboy? What farmboy, real pilots worship Wedge.

Question for Showmasters - we're hearing there will be a 5 item limit for Lawson. If someone has a Gold Pass, will they be able to get 5 each time they go back through the line, or will it be 5 total for the day?

If someone could clear this up ASAP it'd be appreciated!! Thanks again for the great guest!

Question for Showmasters - we're hearing there will be a 5 item limit for Lawson. If someone has a Gold Pass, will they be able to get 5 each time they go back through the line, or will it be 5 total for the day?

If someone could clear this up ASAP it'd be appreciated!! Thanks again for the great guest!

The 5 item limit is generally in operation when the Virtual Queue system is running, and with the demand for Denis we've been assuming it will be in place for him.

If te system is in place it is 5 each time for a Gold Pass.

A Gold Pass allows you to join the back of any line. Unless there's some special rule for Denis that I haven't been told about yet it doesn't matter if you spend your day getting in line for him 20 times or spreading that 20 times out over several guests.

Also, I would have thought they would at least need to discuss this with the gold pass holders, not just because they are paying £175 but because of the third advertised benefit:

3. Autograph Queues

Golden Programme Holders will have the advantage of being ABLE TO JOIN THE BACK OF ANY QUEUE WITHOUT HAVING A VIRTUAL QUEUING TICKET!

Note that it clearly states ANY QUEUE.