Favourite Whedon show...

totallyme

62 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite Whedon show?

• Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    • Angel
    • Firefly
    • Dollhouse

Okay, so I have a feeling that most people will likely say Buffy, BUT, lets put that theory to the test.

Personally, my favourite show is Angel. When Angel, Cordelia and to a lesser extent Wesley, all left Buffy at the end of season 3, and went on to be huge characters in Angel, that's really when my enthusiasm for Buffy peaked and Angel took over as my favourite. Don't get me wrong, Buffy was still good, just not as good. I always felt that Angel had better supporting characters than Buffy (a very debatable point I realise), and every season was pretty strong throughout, whereas Buffy seemed to be hit and miss at times.

Besides those 2, I do have to show a lot of love for Firefly, how it was never renewed for another season is beyond me, and if it had gone on to have a few series, then maybe I'd be talking about that as my favourite instead of Angel, but still, no doubting it's legacy.

Just to mention Dollhouse, I found it watchable and enjoyable, especially given how many Whedon alumni that where featured, but it isn't in the same league as the other 3 for me.

Anyhow, that's what I think, SO, is Buffy really everyone's favourite Whedon work?

For me yes is it. There is just something about Buffy that makes it one of my favourite shows. The characters and the scripts are truly amazing. Its one of those shows I can watch over and over again and not get bored of watching it.

As for Angel, to be honest I never liked him in Buffy so a show surrounding him never appealed to me. The only episode I watched was because it had Spike in.

I have seen two episodes of firefly but I am determined to watch the rest before Hallowhedon, so I don't really have opinion on this at the moment.

Dollhouse is my second favourite Whedon show. At first I just watched them cus it was a new Whedon show but once I rewatched them I realised how good it was. I loved the characters once again and I loved that the last few episodes kept surprising you. I was glad that it got to have a proper ending when it was cancelled cus I think it deserved that much.

So that was my thoughts on Whedon shows.

Angel would win hands down for me! I mean, of course I owe my love of that show to Buffy...I mean, I was totally obsessed with it when I was younger & that's probably the reason I started to watch Angel in the first place but I dunno, looking back, I can't really see why I was that excited about it. Sure, there are episodes I adore but I have to say the episodes I don't find so interesting outnumber them by quite a bit. Okay, obviously there are episodes of Angel that I don't love as much as the others but that's not really because I find them uninteresting, it's just kinda because of the characters. For example, I don't really like the whole Connor arch (basically the end of season 3 & I dunno, you could probably say a bit of season 4 too) but that's not because I find the episodes are boring...it's just I hate what they do Wes & I really can't stand a certain pairing.

So yeah, I think in simple terms, the reason I love Angel so much is because I'm probably more attached to the characters than anything else & that's down to the fantastic way they develop them throughout the show. For example, Cordelia goes from a stuck up b***h to an awesome heroine & Wesley goes from the complete idiot we're introduced to in Buffy to, as Willow put it in Angel season 4, Malboro man. I'm not saying they don't do that in Buffy it's just it's kinda more profound in Angel from my point of view 'cos for me I really didn't have much of an opinion of Wes other than the fact he was an idiot but by the end of Angel he'd become a character that you could totally identify with and grow to love (you can tell he's my favourite, can't you?)

Anywho, I'd probably rate Buffy as 2nd, Dollhouse as 3rd & Firefly as fourth (because I really never got into it)

Sorry for the rather long comment by the way :smile:

Edited by Touchstone

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is my favourite. Not just favourite Whedon show, but favourite ever show. Had it not been for Buffy I would have never even started going to conventions and wouldn't be on this board now.

Angel (mainly as a spin off from Buffy) is my second favourite ever show. I especially loved season 5 as I thought it helped keep some of Buffy alive (with Spike, Harmony and Andrew appearing).

Firefly is a great sci-fi show and had some great charachters. Trouble is it got cancelled too soon, but the film Serenity is beaten only by Star Wars as my favourite sci-fi film.

Dollhouse, I've only seen season 1 and did enjoy it, but I feel it couldn't compete with Buffy or Angel and too different to Firefly to compare.

Buffy for me also, i got into buffy at a really hard time of my life and as cheesy as it sounds it helped me get through it, if it wasnt for buffy like its been said before i wouldnt have started to go to conventions and i wouldnt know even half the people i know now.. MY BEST friends i know through this show, one of which im going on holiday with in 4 days..

there acting, the writting, the storylines..its all incredible, some of the best there as ever been or ever will be. nothing will ever be a better show then buffy in my eyes

tho i do love the others.. :)

1. Firefly

The characters clicked into place right from the start - they were all well rounded and superbly acted. The stories were all excellent, with Out of Gas and Objects in Space the real stand out episodes. It's early cancellation was a travesty that will never be rectified. Someone, some day, will flesh out Inara's and Book's back stories for us.

2. Buffy

Where it all began for most, if not all, of us. Some poor episodes, but what show can run for 7 years without a few blemishes. A superb cast that could convey humour, tragedy and drama with equal aplomb.

3. Angel

It started off strongly, but lost its way a little in season 3, and season 4 was very poor.

4. Dollhouse

An interesting premise, but the problem with your star protraying a completely different character each week is that you can't connect with her. Which is why the non-doll supporting cast members are my favourites.

I'm going to be really odd in this and say that Dollhouse is actually my favourite. I love the premise, and maybe because of its content, I find it much more appealing to my age. It was different, and stood alone with a dialogue and world that just sucked me in.

Firefly and Buffy definitely draw on a close second, both having witty dialogue and a web of characters you can't help but really care about.

Angel is the only one that I haven't watched in its entirety (mainly due to lack of channel access at its first airing) I'm now watching reruns, which will probably nearly be finished by the time of Hallowhedon. I'm finding it very hit and miss. Strong episodes are incredible and make me love it, often surpassing some Buffy episodes, but the whole Darla/Drusilla flashbacks and guest appearances ruin it for me when they come in. Angel works well with its own humour, style and ability to darken its characters much more. I feel that when the style of Buffy encroaches, Angel returns to his whiny self, and the show falls flat (would completely, if it weren't for the supporting characters like Cordy, Wes and Fred)

One thing I will say about all four though - all demonstrate Joss' incredible equal-opportunity storylines. You feel like you're watching the ensemble, not the title actor :firedevil:

...wow. I talked a lot...

Defintely Buffy for me. It has been my favourite show for about 8 years but it can STILL make me laugh out loud or cry my eyes out, even after countless viewings. That's the mark of a good show imo.

I also enjoy Angel, it's a decent show, alhough I never enjoyed it as much as Buffy. The first three seasons of Angel were great, and then the last two sort of lost me a bit.

buffy all the way and my fave show ever, this show changed my life being able to travel and meet new friends and the guests round the world. There will never be another!

2nd - Angel, still part of the buffy verse and great characters, lovely lorne and Fred.

a long way behind Dollhouse followed by Firefly which i really didnt like at all although i tried.

Edited by buffy2k

Buffy for me, my favourite show ever, I was hooked from the first episode and love all the characters. However Angel does come a close second to Buffy and I think it's amazing in its own right.

I love Dollhouse and Firefly too but they fall quite a way below Buffy and Angel, and there are lots of other shows that would be in the gap between if I was doing a list of my faves...

I enjoyed Buffy, but there was always something about Angel , perhaps because it was more gritty and grown up that it seemed like overall a better programme.

However, then Firefly came along and perhaps because I got a chance to meet so many of the actors in the show and played a small part in the campaign which ultimately led to getting Serenity made then I had the most personal connection to Firefly, so that would be my favourite.

To be fair I haven't seen that much of Dollhouse so I can't really give that an honest opinion, but certainly enjoyed the episodes I did see.

• Moderators

It's a tough decision, but it has to go to Buffy really - I mean, I grew up with that show. I can still quote back pretty much entire episodes, and it's one of the first things I run to if there's nothing on the TV and I'm bored.

Firefly and Dollhouse both run a fairly close 2nd though. I didn't get into Firefly until REALLY late (ie this year!) but once I started watching, I basically didn't stop (except for a couple hours sleep) until the end of Serenity. Dollhouse I watched the pilot, thought it was ok, but sort of forgot about... then once I took time to sit down and continue watching, again I just watched without any breaks (except the mandatory ones, like work, and food...)

Angel started out well, and finished well, but... it wobbled pretty severely in the middle.

Firefly is defintiely my favourite, everything about that show worked; the characters, the stories, the setting. Pure genius.

Buffy would be second, Angel third and Dollhouse a very dim and distant 4th. Dollhouse I found at times boring, distasteful or even ridiculous. I think the only episode I liked was Epitaph One, which I thought was actually an outstanding bit of TV.

Firefly is defintiely my favourite, everything about that show worked; the characters, the stories, the setting. Pure genius.

Buffy would be second, Angel third and Dollhouse a very dim and distant 4th. Dollhouse I found at times boring, distasteful or even ridiculous. I think the only episode I liked was Epitaph One, which I thought was actually an outstanding bit of TV.

Hmph. That's the only Dollhouse episode I haven't seen. I must get the boxset at some point.

Hmph. That's the only Dollhouse episode I haven't seen. I must get the boxset at some point.

You can also veiw it on StageVu for free just search "Epitaph One" (that's how I've been re-watching the series until the boxset with both seasons comes out in October :thumbup: )

Edited by Touchstone

You can also veiw it on StageVu for free just search "Epitaph One" (that's how I've been re-watching the series until the boxset with both seasons comes out in October :P )

I was wondering when that would be coming out. To be honest, I'm more likely to buy that and get it signed by Alan. Thanks for the heads up, though. :D

Angel was the first Joss show I watched and is top of my list as the characters developed so well in Angel, and i found angel was strong from start to finish.

Firefly / Serenity would be top of the my list if it had been around longer.

Buffy is a great show however it was slow to start, didn't get going until season 2 and season 7 could have been better.

Dollhouse had a good second season lots of story in just a few episodes.