Guest announcement General Tom Stafford

Dave Phillips

Outstanding that you guys have managed to get the General to return again! ;)

Hopefully this announcement will open the floodgates for a few more big space names over the coming weeks.

Any chance of a talk this time as it would be extremely popular? :smile:

Edited by Hannerzzz09

• Moderators

Hello everyone

As this all happened so fast we are still in the process of negotiating the signing fee.

Although as this is most certainly the Generals last ever appearance abroad (Really i am not making this up)

That,s straight from him. The basic signing fee will be much reduced for this one time only. I am yet to confirm the final price but from what we have discussed so far the basic fee will be less.

I figured you guys would rather see him one last time and a lot of you missed out on his first appearance.

I am sure this will cause endless debate amongst the people who attended last time but overall it will be worth it to meet a man who has flown in space 4 times on historic missions.

More details and prices as i have them

Dave Phillips

Hello everyone

As this all happened so fast we are still in the process of negotiating the signing fee.

Although as this is most certainly the Generals last ever appearance abroad (Really i am not making this up)

That,s straight from him. The basic signing fee will be much reduced for this one time only. I am yet to confirm the final price but from what we have discussed so far the basic fee will be less.

I figured you guys would rather see him one last time and a lot of you missed out on his first appearance.

I am sure this will cause endless debate amongst the people who attended last time but overall it will be worth it to meet a man who has flown in space 4 times on historic missions.

More details and prices as i have them

Dave Phillips

Dave, as someone who paid the higher fee last time I will be delighted if you can negotiate a lower fee this time round. I've been spending all day trying to decide if I can really justify another £175, but a lower fee would mean I would almost certainly get something signed.

180 GBP a time, but was in aid of the ASF, which considering he didn't sign for them at their own event... could be puzzling.. :)

holy cow!

how much was the photo shoot and talk?

Photoshoot was no more than £25 but there wasn't a talk last time. I wouldn't want to talk out of turn but I don't think his health is the greatest so a talk might be a bit too much.

A pure speculation post......

I recall overhearing someone at the last show saying something about Tom's fee last time round included a '£100 donation to his museum' or something to that effect. Now that might be complete cobblers, but if not then we might be looking at something like £70 this time?

Like I say, this is just throwing a fag up a windy street....

Cheers

Ted

Great and unexpected news to see the General make a very welcome return.

It was brilliant to meet him last time, and I'll definitely be meeting him again.

And I'd also like to see him do a lecture, if he's able to do so.

I think having the return of Cosmonaut guests was mentioned early on in the planning for this Autographica. Would be an ideal time to have Alexei Leonov back if possible. The remaining crews of Apollo-Soyuz, Leonov, Stafford, Kubasov and Brand, had their most recent reunion in New York last month at an Omega watch shop, Omega having made some watches for the mission.

http://www.space.com/news/historic-apollo-...ary-100716.html

Hope that the General does a photo shoot again too.

Edited by spocks-brain

• Moderators

A pure speculation post......

I recall overhearing someone at the last show saying something about Tom's fee last time round included a '£100 donation to his museum' or something to that effect. Now that might be complete cobblers, but if not then we might be looking at something like £70 this time?

Like I say, this is just throwing a fag up a windy street....

Cheers

Ted

Hello Ted

Yes your right it's complete cobblers !!!!!

All the money goes to the gererals museum whatever the fee.

I can tell you right now it will not be £70.

Now everyone is going to need to let me talk to him and wait until i can post the correct price.

Dave Phillips

Hello Dave !

Great job from you,that General Tom Stafford will attend in London.

I hope for an photo shoot with him,because I don`t know,if I can pay his fee for an autograph.But an souvenir photo with the Gemini and Apollo- astronaut would be great for me.

Best

Helmut

The amount I spent on two autos, was money scrimped and saved...but I had to do it because it was going to be the only time General Stafford was going to be in the UK signing.

To find out he is going to be signing again, but cheaper, leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

:D

Well it should only leave a bad taste if it was deliverate and in some way malicious by the organisers, which it wasn't. The information given was accurate at the time. I've lost count of how many guests I decided to "leave til next time" only for them to pass away, become too sick or old to come back, not want to do another event etc, so the reverse is regularly the case. You have to make a decision based on the available information ....

Funnily enough I ordered a copy of his biography from ebay then later that day he was announced as a guest! Makes me wonder if I should take a punt on ordering a copy of 'First Man'!

One word of caution though, the seller I bought the book from advertised it as brand new, it turned up yesterday and was far from what I would class as brand new, certainly not good enough to condition to warrent spending money on getting it signed.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it should only leave a bad taste if it was deliverate and in some way malicious by the organisers, which it wasn't. The information given was accurate at the time. I've lost count of how many guests I decided to "leave til next time" only for them to pass away, become too sick or old to come back, not want to do another event etc, so the reverse is regularly the case. You have to make a decision based on the available information ....

Considering how long i had to save up to get this "one time only signing" i does miff me a bit as well.

It can be the difference of attending one con or two in a year, and it is a big price difference to those of us who have little money to spare.