General Feedback

DavidB

All in all, a great con (one of the best I've ever been to - ME takes both 1st & 2nd places!) :D . Just a couple of small niggles:

One was the volume of the music at the parties, partcularly the first night. Not trying to be an old fogie, but it was so loud at times I was yelling in the ear of the person next to me to make myself heard (still have the sore throat!) and having a proper conversation was like Chinese whispers! Striking up a conversation with someone you didn't already know was all but impossible. As a result, I spent much less time in the party area (as opposed to the bar area) than I otherwise would have. Congrats to whoever designed the themes though - really excellent work. And having the pole-dancers was just inspired!

I agree completely about the cheesy music on the Sat night. I started as I was just warmed up (and alcoholically refreshed!) enough to want to dance, but all the good music that had been on to begin with was over. We hung around for a while to see if there would be a change back again, but got bored waiting and went to bed instead.

The DJ seems like a nice enough lad, but toning it down a bit from 'hyper' would be better I think. I also don't think the 'game' on the Sat night went down well in all quarters. I think True Blood fans have a higher IQ than that generally!

The hotel layout was really good, and the staff very nice, but I found it very frustrating that the simple request for a couple of extra pillows (since the ones we had were wafer thin) was impossible to fulfill - what kind of hotel doesn't keep extra pillows?? A big thanks to the guy the front desk sent up the hoover up the wasps that invaded my room in the wee small hours of Mon morning though!

Having the schedules posted on the wall was great - really useful. And I can't say enough good things about the ME staff, who were always friendly and helpful, and put up with an endless stream of silly questions from me (particularly Ian - sorry, the curse of being a familiar face!).There was the odd occasion when I couldn't find any staff at all though, and I was a bit surprised that there was no one on the door checking tickets for the parties. I don't think there were any gatecrashers, but still...

But as I said, small niggles. I love the ME way of doing things, and look forward to coming to many more of your cons in future! Really, really hoping that things work out and I can come to Bitten 2 next year: it's at the top of my 'wish list' of cons for 2011 :D

Edited by Arcane

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see anything wrong with leaving a bag or coat on a chair as that's what I do myself if I need to pop to the loo or something. However, if you leave your seat with nothing by it then I don't think you can have a go at anyone in it when you come back unless you've asked anoher person sitting near by to keep it for you or something.

Peronsally I always ask people if empty seats are actually free before I sit in them and that should really go for everyone.

Or you could always decorate your chair!! Make it a competition!!! :D

I'm just imagining you half-drunk still, trying to spell your name on a tissue :D

A clever attendees prepares those in advance. ;)

I did it with one eye shut, concentrating reeeeeeeally hard, with my tongue stuck out and my face scrunched up - it seemed to do the trick...... :D

although it might have said complete gobbledeegook for all i know to be fair!!!

Yeah, my friends in the row behind me got up and left their seats and two girls behind them had leaned forward and plonked their bags onto my friends' places. Fortunately my friends had come round to the front to talk to us in front and saw the whole thing. They quickly reclaimed their seats by putting the bags back whence they'd come, but got some filthy looks. (Mind you, the girls in question were walking around looking po-faced every time we saw them, so that was nothing new. :D) Their attitude was completely unjustified, the cheeky beggars, as the rules of seat-owning have been made clear in several instances.

It's a shame those who insinuated themselves into others' seats and refused to move couldn't be evicted. I can see how it might be difficult to enforce, though.

Yes we weren't going to let them get away with that! The cheeky beggars are going to the next one too, so I think I'll put something on my chair that they can't miss - like a blow up doll or something! I hope they've learned to smile before next August too :D

Yeah, my friends in the row behind me got up and left their seats and two girls behind them had leaned forward and plonked their bags onto my friends' places. Fortunately my friends had come round to the front to talk to us in front and saw the whole thing. They quickly reclaimed their seats by putting the bags back whence they'd come, but got some filthy looks. (Mind you, the girls in question were walking around looking po-faced every time we saw them, so that was nothing new. :unsure:) Their attitude was completely unjustified, the cheeky beggars, as the rules of seat-owning have been made clear in several instances.

It's a shame those who insinuated themselves into others' seats and refused to move couldn't be evicted. I can see how it might be difficult to enforce, though.

Yes we weren't going to let them get away with that! The cheeky beggars are going to the next one too, so I think I'll put something on my chair that they can't miss - like a blow up doll or something! I hope they've learned to smile before next August too :(

I want to know who they are now!!! lol. I didn't nick anyones seat so I know it wasn't me.

Surely if there's nothing left on the seat as advised by the organisers then that seat is anyones????

I don't quite understand why you'd leave nothing there, it's like marking your territory, a cardi, jacket, empty bag, note anything really that tells that you're coming back!!!

:unsure:

Yeah, my friends in the row behind me got up and left their seats and two girls behind them had leaned forward and plonked their bags onto my friends' places. Fortunately my friends had come round to the front to talk to us in front and saw the whole thing. They quickly reclaimed their seats by putting the bags back whence they'd come, but got some filthy looks. (Mind you, the girls in question were walking around looking po-faced every time we saw them, so that was nothing new. :pyth:) Their attitude was completely unjustified, the cheeky beggars, as the rules of seat-owning have been made clear in several instances.

Yes we weren't going to let them get away with that! The cheeky beggars are going to the next one too, so I think I'll put something on my chair that they can't miss - like a blow up doll or something! I hope they've learned to smile before next August too :pyth:

I want to know who they are now!!! lol. I didn't nick anyones seat so I know it wasn't me.

If you go next year - I'll point them out! :pyth:

Yeah, my friends in the row behind me got up and left their seats and two girls behind them had leaned forward and plonked their bags onto my friends' places. Fortunately my friends had come round to the front to talk to us in front and saw the whole thing. They quickly reclaimed their seats by putting the bags back whence they'd come, but got some filthy looks. (Mind you, the girls in question were walking around looking po-faced every time we saw them, so that was nothing new. :D) Their attitude was completely unjustified, the cheeky beggars, as the rules of seat-owning have been made clear in several instances.

Yes we weren't going to let them get away with that! The cheeky beggars are going to the next one too, so I think I'll put something on my chair that they can't miss - like a blow up doll or something! I hope they've learned to smile before next August too :P

If you go next year - I'll point them out! :D

LOL I'll be there next year. My hair might be a totally different colour but I will be there. I'll come looking for ya! :P

The problem is, if you've popped out to check on guest encounter results/loo/come in late etc by the time you get to your seat the talk has started and it's not appropriate to be asking people to get out of your seat.

Its very sad its a courtesy thing which unfortunately not everybody observes.

The way I look at it, at the cinema, you tend to go with someone, and get whoever you were with to mind your seat when you pop to the loo etc, so I tend to treat my seat at a con in much the same way.

You can put a bag/coat on it, but if some unscrupulous person decides to move your bag, as you say, its not easy to choose to disrupt a talk in order to get your seat back.

It is a shame that at a con that was so friendly and so much fun that there are some not so nice people :D

I only experienced my cardi being moved once during the con and that was only over 1 seat so that this persons friend could sit next to her.

I dont begrudge it, but still i think the rules on seats should be read out - i had left to check on the guest encounters.

But still, it does seem to work at the other cons i have been too, maybe it was just the newbies???

Yes we weren't going to let them get away with that! The cheeky beggars are going to the next one too, so I think I'll put something on my chair that they can't miss - like a blow up doll or something! I hope they've learned to smile before next August too ;)

If you go next year - I'll point them out! :blink:

LOL I'll be there next year. My hair might be a totally different colour but I will be there. I'll come looking for ya! ;)

Yes - do that! :P

Well me personally, it was my first ever full-blown-away-from-home-to-some-peace-and-quiet convention so it was all new-ish to me but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The only problems I had were all personal and even then they're not really relevant so I'm in no place to complain. (But I did have a rant about it to Ros while queueing up for pictures so I'm OK. xD)

Once again, I thoroughly enjoyed the convention. Friday night, I cringed at the party games. The last one, I knew what they had to do before Cute Mr DJ announced it because my mind is in the gutter like that. xD But it was still fun/cringey to watch. Saturday night I was right in my element there with the music (at the beginning) and the Gothness. The only night I really Gothed myself up to be fair. If it were up to me, I'd have Gothed myself up for Friday night too, but I'd have looked SO out of place. xD

Oh, and also, I need to break Shyness Barrier #2: Ask questions at the talks. Hopefully for Bitten 2, I'd like Carrie and Deborah to be announced so I can ask them the questions I wanted to ask Mr Jim and Mr Todd but was too scared to. And don't get me started on my Post-Con Blues. xD

But yeah, all in all, an epic con. Much more relaxed than a Twilight con from my small experience in Brum last September... and from what I've heard from Sarey.

Much Loves

Coney <3

xxxx

But yeah, all in all, an epic con. Much more relaxed than a Twilight con from my small experience in Brum last September... and from what I've heard from Sarey.

THATS ME!!!! :blush::P:dance::clap::blush:

I thoroughly enjoyed Bitten.... Completely different atmosphere than the Twilight cons. I have no complaints!!

Can't wait till Bitten 2

Had a fantastic weekend, no real negative issues. I did want to say that, in spite of all my complaining about not getting it for free, that I really liked the opportunity to have a group shot with all the guests. I know this is not something that is included as a part of any package, however can it be something that is offered in the future as a paid extra basis? I realise that probably some sort of limit on the number offered might be nexessary, but it is something I would like to be able to get again at Bitten 2.

I would agree with the scheduling of talks vs coffee lounges issue. I did not want to miss any of the talks and so did not attend the coffee lounges, if some were offered at non clashing times another year that would be great.

• Moderators

No, I understand what you were saying. I'd just be very surprised if it became a permanent option because of it being removed in the past.

They didn't remove it and then make it a limited option for people at every event. It has only appeared recently as incentive for booking hotel rooms etc.

If Bitten 2 has higher ticket sales, and hopefully it will do after the great feedback from this one, then I don't think a group shot would be offered.

Just thought I'd start a topic as I know some people are already home, or only went for one day.

As with any first convention for a show, there'll no doubt be room for things to change/add etc.

So what did you enjoy the most? What would you like to see at Bitten 2? Any improvements?

Ah, perfect. This is the first break I had since I got back and I have a lot of feedback.

1) The list of events, times and locations should have been emailed to all attendees prior to the event. We didnt user the forum until the day we arrived and were lucky to spot it. There was more effort but into telling us about "booking your seat for the day" than wtf we'd be doing!

2) The guy hosting the Q&A's - yes yes, he's the main guy and yes yes, he's important, but also - he's not very good at it. "Aaaaaaaaaanymore questions?" Way to make it obvious there arent many lined up, make the guests and the attendees feel awkward. He could have easily just pretended he had loads of them lined up from earlier submitted questions. Next year, get someone better.

3) The hotel - ok, I know it was general confusion but I think it is ridiculous that the hotel pulled that on the guests and that you'd still hold the second event there. The booking issue is something that shouldnt have gone unnoticed, and resulted in many guests missing out on their group shot (because no way I was paying £30 on top of my gold pass, and a £10 discount doesnt cut it either).

4) There wasnt much to do during the day - once you had your photo and autograph, (not taking into account the fact that we pretty much got it all done on day one - very efficent layout etc, well done on that), there was NOTHING else to do besides go to the merch room or video room (which were awesome). Some suggestions: quizzes, games, fan interactions with each other, group chats... there is TONs of other stuff we could have done.

5) Too show-centric, no book talk. I know, that from a marketing point of view, most people ONLY want the stars. But at the end of the day, it's a book too. It would have been fun to have some chat based on that, or maybe drawing on the above event suggestions, some writers forums or opinions. This would also help people get to know each other, especially good for people who come on their own / are in a small group / want to get away from the crazies.

6) On the Sunday, we basically had nothing to do until the night, because we'd gotten all of our stuff done on Sat, so we didnt turn up until 2/3ish. However, on the Saturday after the signings, I suggested to a staff member that there be a TB table quiz, as its something you can arrange in short time, and they surely have enough prizes to give away. When I arrived the next day at 2/3pm, I had missed this event (which, I am sure they had thought of themselves too). So, my suggestion is a "text to attendee" notice. This is a simple service you can bulk buy and if there is any event change you can text all attendees with notices. This could be used across your events and is very cheap.

7) Guest encounters bidding - I was horrified when I learned one of the guests only had TWO PEOPLE go to his guest encounter. I think the majority of us were unclear on how the bidding worked and what options we had. This was a failing on the organisers part, and again should have been included either in the booklet, or in an email PRIOR to the event.

8) Music - this was the only thing, theme wise, that was incredibly bad. I dont think it was the DJs fault (how cute and nice was he?), more us requesting songs that didnt fit the event / organisors not giving a solid enough list. Fantasia night would NEVER EVER have hick country music on, I did not wear leather boots to do lion dancing! Kinda ruined the buzz at the start but got better.

Ok, all that being said, I did have a REALLY great time. TB is so the way I wanted to pop my "Convention" cherry. The attention to detail at the events was incredible, every themed night was GREAT. The staff, for the most part*, were really really nice. The level of organisation into the chart was FAB - whoever made that gets my excel-effiencey-badge, kudos! And so many of the attendees were so so nice.

*I debated whether or not to include this but, here it goes. So I dont know what the deal is with the staff. Are they volunteers who are doing it for experience / get to meet the stars, or are they paid for their work? I kinda found that, being that they were such a big group, they were kind of clique-y (especially when you consider how few attendees knew each other). I doubt, at bigger events, this is even noticed. But at such a small event, when 10-15 of them crowd around a poll to take pictures of one another, or all sit in the chairs on stage with each other, they kind of take-over. And, I dont mean this in a rude way, but this is not about you. It's about us, the people who paid £100-200 pound to attend. I found it distracting and quite annoying. THAT BEING SAID, I have worked events, I have been part of a team and the staff can be just as (sometimes, more) entitled to have a good time too. I don't know where the line is, but it definitely bugged me.

Either way, will definitely consider Bitten 2 and would still recommend the company and the conventions.

I totally agree with everything you've written above and well done for expressing it. Apart from the Guest Encounter. Todd Lowe didnt only have 2 people at his guest encounter. There were 3 of us on the board and when we went in there were actually 10 in total as they asked more people if they wanted to attend which they did. It was all very nice and chatty and Todd enjoyed it. Its because Sam and Kristin were doing their talk so people went to that instead, also Jim Parracks Guest Encounter was on at the same time which I think they could have done differently to let people go to more than 1.

I also forgot to add in my last moan way back that the Q&A session (esp the very last one on Sunday) were appalling. I was cringing for the guests and squirming in my seat because of the long drawn out silences in between the questions and to say "oh I thought one of you was going to come up with something else to say" was a tad rude. The Q&A session should be zappy and fun and its a good job those guests were amusing, forthcoming and friendly to make it what it was. The guests who have done this a long time would have maybe said something or added bits to fill it all in but they were still relatively new and were unsure, I felt as to what was going on in places.

Lets hope next year its better :)

I thought I'd add a little something regarding the talks....

I usually put questions in for the talks and try to be original because to be honest the usual 'what was it like working with so-and-so' makes me want to take my own eyes out with red hot pokers, pull my hair out and scream. :(

I don't usually get any of my questions in at the ET events as it's so huge so I was really chuffed to have a couple of them answered. So I think of random questions that maybe they haven't been asked before in the hope that not every talk they do is filled with questions like 'whats the best thing about being in true blood' or 'what was it like working with Alex / Anna / Stephen etc etc etc' and they aren't the normal automated answers that they have to answer every single time they do an interview or con. I'm sure it gets pretty boring for them otherwise.

If you don't like the arkward silences, then ask some more questions! Put them in beforehand, write them on the slips! It doesn't hurt to spend a few minutes thinking what you'd really like to know about them. If no-one asks anything, it will get pretty arkward, which obviously it did at points during Bitten.

:thumbup:

Well me personally, it was my first ever full-blown-away-from-home-to-some-peace-and-quiet convention so it was all new-ish to me but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The only problems I had were all personal and even then they're not really relevant so I'm in no place to complain. (But I did have a rant about it to Ros while queueing up for pictures so I'm OK. xD)

Once again, I thoroughly enjoyed the convention. Friday night, I cringed at the party games. The last one, I knew what they had to do before Cute Mr DJ announced it because my mind is in the gutter like that. xD But it was still fun/cringey to watch. Saturday night I was right in my element there with the music (at the beginning) and the Gothness. The only night I really Gothed myself up to be fair. If it were up to me, I'd have Gothed myself up for Friday night too, but I'd have looked SO out of place. xD

Oh, and also, I need to break Shyness Barrier #2: Ask questions at the talks. Hopefully for Bitten 2, I'd like Carrie and Deborah to be announced so I can ask them the questions I wanted to ask Mr Jim and Mr Todd but was too scared to. And don't get me started on my Post-Con Blues. xD

Much Loves

Coney <3

xxxx

Whoo! Name-checked.

Also: If anyone had a bit of a bitch-out from me... I apologise. (I don't think I did tho?) Eh well.

Lol the bitching in the queue passed the time wonderfully.

1) The list of events, times and locations should have been emailed to all attendees prior to the event. We didnt user the forum until the day we arrived and were lucky to spot it. There was more effort but into telling us about "booking your seat for the day" than wtf we'd be doing!

It was on the forum a few days before for people to glance at. The only thing I looked at was whether there was 2 Sam photoshoots to see whether it meant having to get changed mid morning or not. But as long as I've got a copy in my reg pack that's all I require.

2) The guy hosting the Q&A's - yes yes, he's the main guy and yes yes, he's important, but also - he's not very good at it. "Aaaaaaaaaanymore questions?" Way to make it obvious there arent many lined up, make the guests and the attendees feel awkward. He could have easily just pretended he had loads of them lined up from earlier submitted questions. Next year, get someone better.

I didn't think he was that bad... If you've got a question, submit it before then he'll have plenty of questions to ask.

3) The hotel - ok, I know it was general confusion but I think it is ridiculous that the hotel pulled that on the guests and that you'd still hold the second event there. The booking issue is something that shouldnt have gone unnoticed, and resulted in many guests missing out on their group shot (because no way I was paying £30 on top of my gold pass, and a £10 discount doesnt cut it either).

er... the fact that a load of booked rooms were cancelled so close to the convention date *has* been addressed - this year they're taking deposits to avoid people booking on the offchance that the guest they want is announced and not actually turning up to the event.

4) There wasnt much to do during the day - once you had your photo and autograph, (not taking into account the fact that we pretty much got it all done on day one - very efficent layout etc, well done on that), there was NOTHING else to do besides go to the merch room or video room (which were awesome). Some suggestions: quizzes, games, fan interactions with each other, group chats... there is TONs of other stuff we could have done.

I didn't STOP! and I only had 1 nose round the dealer's room and didn't go in the video room once. And there was a quiz on the Sunday.

5) Too show-centric, no book talk. I know, that from a marketing point of view, most people ONLY want the stars. But at the end of the day, it's a book too. It would have been fun to have some chat based on that, or maybe drawing on the above event suggestions, some writers forums or opinions. This would also help people get to know each other, especially good for people who come on their own / are in a small group / want to get away from the crazies.

Noooooooo please no book stuff. It's a *True Blood* con, not a Southern Vampire Mysteries convention. I own all the books but am only reading them AFTER I've seen the Season relating to it as I want the show to be a complete surprise without any spoilers whatsoever.

I've met Charlaine, she's lovely - but when we're not allowed to talk about season 3 stuff as it's not been released over here yet it would be VERY unfair to spoil for the TB fans who don't want to read the books the TV show is based on.

7) Guest encounters bidding - I was horrified when I learned one of the guests only had TWO PEOPLE go to his guest encounter. I think the majority of us were unclear on how the bidding worked and what options we had. This was a failing on the organisers part, and again should have been included either in the booklet, or in an email PRIOR to the event.

The instructions were written on the bid sheets. It's really very simple, and has been explained upteen times on the forums.