FRIGHT NIGHT remake

nicky

Hey, I dont know alot about this remake except it has Colin Farrell in Chris Sarandon's role with Anton Yelchin, Christopher Mintz-Plasse (great casting as Evil Ed), Toni Collette and David Tennant (in the Roddy MacDowell role) and directed by Craig Gillespie.

I liked the original, was a great peice of 80s horror cinema with all the kitsch to go with it. This remake has a pretty good looking cast. Not sure about David Tennant though cos I still dunno who he is, never watched Dr Who...if they wanted a Brit they should have got someone older and funny like, I dunno...John Cleese or even Patrick Stewart would have been funny to see.

Due for release Oct 2011 and currently filming.

Fill us in Michael.

Edited by nicky

Some more casting news has come in for Craig Gillespie's upcoming remake of the Tom Holland vampire classic Fright Night.

According to Bloody Disgusting Imogen Poots (28 Weeks Later) is in final talks to star as "Amy", a popular high school senior who "needs to get nasty" by the finale, in DreamWorks' 3D Fright Night.

The new version sticks to the original concept of a teen named Charlie Brewster (Anton Yelchin) who is convinced that his new neighbor is a vampire, though no one will believe him.

Colin Farrell has the plum role of the vampire, named Jerry, who on the surface appears to be a cool guy but is really preying on the neighborhood. Christopher Mintz-Plasse is playing Brewster's best friend, Evil Ed, "Doctor Who"'s David Tennant will be playing Peter Vincent, and Toni Collette is Charlie's mom, who at first disapproves of the new arrival but changes her attitude when she meets the magnetic man and -- surprise -- doesn't believe her son when he tries to tell her Jerry is a vampire.

Look for more soon!

Sandra Vergara, the sister of "Modern Family" star Sofia Vergara, has joined the cast of DreamWorks Pictures' Fright Night, a remake of the 1980s horror classic being directed by Craig Gillespie.

Sandra will play the girlfriend and assistant to a magician, played by David Tennant, reluctantly recruited by Anton Yelchin to fight off a vampire.

Scheduled for an October 7, 2011 release, the film also stars Colin Farrell, Imogen Poots, Toni Collette and Christopher Mintz-Plasse

The plot of the remake transfers events from the quiet suburbs to the bustling city of Las Vegas. Although we’ll obviously need to wait and see images and footage from the movie to really start judging it (although many of us will already have judged it based on the word “remakeâ€), there’s the very welcome notion that the remake will have a more baddass vampire vibe – think more True Blood than The Twilight Saga.

If you’re one of those people who worries that movies are going to be toned down to a PG-13 rating to appeal to a wider audience, then you might be able to breathe a little easier when it comes to Fright Night. Mintz-Plasse recently spoke to Chicago Tribune and revealed that Dreamworks is keeping the R-rating that the original film had:“[The original is] totally a cheesy, campy 80′s movie… and I loved it. They’re trying to keep (the remake) very similar but give a different take on the cast. It’ll be in 3D, so it’s a little more Hollywood. And they’re keeping it rated R, which is good.â€

I’m actually a little surprised that they’re going the R-rated route with this particular horror remake. Although the original has that same rating – and some would say they need to have the shackles as loose as possible for this to be any good – I expected them to go the PG-13 route in order to snag that teenage audience (although I don’t think most of teenagers will have trouble getting an adult to accompany them.

As for the 3D format Mintz-Plasse mentioned, in my opinion this is yet another film that just doesn’t need to be in 3D. It’s still early days and perhaps the story or visuals will call for more than regular old 2D but at this point in time it seems completely unnecessary.

Of course, this is just the word of one supporting cast member and who knows, perhaps a little further down the road Dreamworks will go the PG-13 route and ditch the idea of doing it in 3D (sadly the former is a lot more likely than the latter). But for the time being, let’s just take Mintz-Plasse at his word.

Are you glad the Fright Night remake will be R-rated? What about the fact it’ll be in 3D? Sound off in the comments below.

Doesnt need to be in 3D but does need the R rating if it wants to match the gore of the original...looking forward to seeing what they'll end up doing to the scene where Ed transforms at the end of the orginal.

Also I seem to recall reading that the initial idea of this remake would be that Chris Sarandon would be in it playing himself where he is asked for help to kill a vampire and that Fright Night (the 1985 film) was the film-within-a-film (like "Stab" in Scream). Now that would have been interesting...but also a bit confusing for some I guess.

Edited by nicky

Doesnt need to be in 3D but does need the R rating if it wants to match the gore of the original...looking forward to seeing what they'll end up doing to the scene where Ed transforms at the end of the orginal.

Also I seem to recall reading that the initial idea of this remake would be that Chris Sarandon would be in it playing himself where he is asked for help to kill a vampire and that Fright Night (the 1985 film) was the film-within-a-film (like "Stab" in Scream). Now that would have been interesting...but also a bit confusing for some I guess.

Thats true dosent need to be in 3d at all just another gimmick and the R rating is also important to match the original and it would be great if Chris was back in the film.

• 2 weeks later...

Every good movie needs an annoying character whom we love to hate. Whether it be to experience the joys of watching them get their just desserts or to giggle with glee as they meet a horrible demise a character like this is nearly as important as our hero. Finally the remake of the Tom Holland vampire classic Fright Night has just such a character!

The Playlist broke the story that Dave Franco ("Scrubs") has been added to the cast of Craig Gillespie's remake.

"I play the arrogant spam-bully," explained Franco. "Anton plays the main kid so I'm his nemesis at school until he runs into Colin who is supposed to be the ultimate bad guy in the movie. Yeah I play the dick, so it's fun." Adding "This one will stand apart because it's a comedic horror movie — the same thing as 'Drag Me To Hell' and 'Shaun Of The Dead.'"

The new version sticks to the original concept of a teen named Charlie Brewster (Anton Yelchin) who is convinced that his new neighbor is a vampire, though no one will believe him.

Colin Farrell has the plum role of the vampire, named Jerry, who on the surface appears to be a cool guy but is really preying on the neighborhood. Christopher Mintz-Plasse is playing Brewster's best friend, Evil Ed, "Doctor Who"'s David Tennant will be playing Peter Vincent, Sandra Vergara will play the Vincent's assistant, Imogen Poots is popular high school senior Amy, and Toni Collette is Charlie's mom, who at first disapproves of the new arrival but changes her attitude when she meets the magnetic man and -- surprise -- doesn't believe her son when he tries to tell her Jerry is a vampire.

why o why do they keep killing such great films! im all up for it helping the genre but they really need to start doing it well and useing some little known actors they r ususally the actors the really care about there role and not there pay check lol

Slightly small casting news regarding the Fright Night remake, now shooting in New Mexico.

Emily Montague has been cast to play a victim of Colin Farrell's vampire, Jerry Dandrige.

Apparently this was a role with zero lines, but the part was flesh out a bit. Still, I wouldn't expect much.

Fright Night is slated to open October 7, 2011. Anton Yelchin, Colin Farrell, Imogen Poots, David Tennant, Christopher Mintz-Plasse and Toni Collette star

• 2 weeks later...

Peter Vincent - the character featured in Tom Holland's 1985 film Fright Night - is being dusted off for an upcoming Fright Night remake. And he's unrecognizable in more ways than one. Gone is the old coat and white hair. In comes the Chriss Angel style with his flowing black hair. It's no secret that Peter Vincent is going to be a master of illusion in the redo. He's a Vegas act. One that has a regular show at the Hard Rock apparently called "Fright Night" and, below, you'll find a look at actor David Tennant as Vincent on a banner we spotted recently. Can you even recognize the former Dr. Who in there?

Directed by Craig Gillespie and starring Anton Yelchin, Colin Farrell, Imogen Poots, Tennant, Christopher Mintz-Plasse and Toni Collette, Fright Night opens on October 7, 2011.www.shocktillyoudrop.com

peter-vincent-remake3.jpg