What are your top ten fave horror films?

vamps!

americans try to make films for everyone so they can sell it overseas and make it more money, it seems to be the only thing on their minds. whereas japanese horror is just done solely for the japanese market and if its good enough it gets cult viewing elsewhere.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

americans try to make films for everyone so they can sell it overseas and make it more money, it seems to be the only thing on their minds. whereas japanese horror is just done solely for the japanese market and if its good enough it gets cult viewing elsewhere.

I've got Audition, Dark Water and The Eye. I thought Ringu was okay, but not good enough for me to buy. My favourite out of the ones I have is The Eye. I just think that as a narrative it works a lot better than the rest. I was disappointed in Dark Water - not creepy enough for me. The annual Frightfest in London is a great way to learn about new Japanese horror movies as well as some great little films that don't often get a UK nationwide release.

By the way don't discount British Horror completely, after all it gave us Hammer and Amicus, The Wicker Man and the first in the Hellraiser series. Also I'm currently writing a new trilogy of horror/ghost movies, which I will start filming later this year, and so far it's going really well.

Obi-Wan :yoda:

You have an amazing insight into the horror movie genre Mr obi-wan!

True I forgot The Wicker Man, a great English horror movie, but I am unfortunately not up with the Hammer Horrors. Difficult to get here, as is anything made before 1975!Tried e-bay with no success. Do you know where one might buy them?

Edited by Legalblonde

You have an amazing insight into the horror movie genre Mr obi-wan!

True I forgot The Wicker Man, a great English horror movie, but I am unfortunately not up with the Hammer Horrors. Difficult to get here, as is anything made before 1975!Tried e-bay with no success. Do you know where one might buy them?

Thanks. I've been a horror fan all my life, from watching them, to attending horror film festivals to writing (and soon directing) horror films.

The Hammer films I'm not sure. What region are Australia? If you are Region 2 (same as the UK) then maybe you might be able to get some from www.play.com. (Not sure if they ship to Australia or not, but if you email them they are a friendly bunch and will be able to help). Otherwise maybe Amazon? Again this is all pending that you can play Region 2 DVD.

Yes I'm in Australia, and unfortunately I don't have a multi-region dvd player, (better get one I think), so its quite a problem to get hold of them out here. Thanks for the info anyway!

No problem. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Obi-Wan :angel:

Yes I'm in Australia, and unfortunately I don't have a multi-region dvd player, (better get one I think), so its quite a problem to get hold of them out here. Thanks for the info anyway!

What Hammer Horrors do you rate as some of their best?

Obi-Wan :D

What Hammer Horrors do you rate as some of their best?

I like Hands of the Ripper with Eric Porter, Twins of Evil Horror of Frankenstein and the Hammer House of Horror television series amongst many of their others. Although I like Hammer, I'm more of a Universal Monsters fan, and among those I rank Creature From the Black Lagoon, Bride of Frankenstein and The Wolfman among the best.

Obi-Wan :P

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my list, not particularly scary as such, just that they appeal to the way my mind works:-

Halloween

Silence of the Lambs

The Exorcist (I saw this at the cinema when it first came out - at the time it was quite revolutionary but it hasn't worn very well)

Psycho (Hitchcock's original)

Susperia

Nosferatu

Amityville Horror

The Wicker Man

Black Christmas

The Omen

*Can I stick in The Entity as well cos I find being interferred with by spirits quite un-nerving but I've already had 10

WELL wELL

1 Nightmere on elm street 1

2 Lost Boys

3 From Dusk Till Dawn

4 Jekyll & Hyde Black White original

5 Halloween 1

6 Childs Play 1

7 Candyman 1

8 The FOG

9 Gremlins 1

10 Near Dark

11 Evil Dead Trilogy

12 Hannibal Lector Trilogy

13 6 Sense

14 Signs

15 unbreakable

But in recent years i would highly recomend Darkness falls very scary and Jeepers Creepers 2 much better then the first one.

Amityville 2

I haven't even see the first one, well not all the way through, there is one scene i saw and it just freaked me out, too much like a night mare i had!!!!!!!!

btw hello jango

Hello back..

I like that one the most. (Although a bit of an Exorcist rip off but hey)

I also like Return of the Living dead 3 and Killer tongue

Amityville 2

I haven't even see the first one, well not all the way through, there is one scene i saw and it just freaked me out, too much like a night mare i had!!!!!!!!

btw hello jango

Hello back..

I like that one the most. (Although a bit of an Exorcist rip off but hey)

I also like Return of the Living dead 3 and Killer tongue

OMG you freaked me out when you phoned me LOL, cool chatting with ya though, but next time don't scare me like that LOL

1 ) Alien

2 ) Aliens

3 ) Battle Royal if u think thats a Horror! lol i love japaneese films too! must see ichi the killer and dark water and ring and suspria

4 ) Dawn Of The Dead

5 ) Scream

6 ) IT (god i hate clowns)

7 ) Phsyco (Hitchcock rules)

8 ) Evil Dead

9 ) The Thing

10 ) Anything Paul Anderson has directed if your not scared by the badness of his films nothin will scare u

films that were scary the 1st time bt not again

Gremlins, Akira,

Friday 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street

the Shining

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm.....i absolutly love Horror/thrillers!! anything with a crazy serial killer in and TONS of gore is my kinda' movie :angel:

1. Nightmare on elm st.

2. Freddy versus Jason

3. jason X

4. Hollow Man

5. Fear. com

6. Silence of the Lambs

7. Scream

8. The Lost boys

9. I know what you did last summer

10. Stigmata

difficult, difficult question.

however i'll make an off-the-top-of-my-head-list (in no particular order) :

1. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)

2. The Beyond

3. City of the Living Dead

4. Cannibal Holocaust (has to be properly uncut version obviously)

5. Dawn of the Dead (original)

6. Cannibal Ferox

7. Zombie Flesh Eaters.

8. The Burning

9. Most of the Friday the 13th Series, esp the earlier ones (cheating i kno but ah well)

10. Bad Taste - f***ing classic, Peter Jackson's best imo, and yes that IS including LOTR.

lots of italian horror there.

worst would, with out a doubt, be the god awful "Last House on the Left", never have i been more bored/wishing i was never born, than sitting through this awful awful film. ergh just thinging about it pisses me off. so lame and boring it wasnt even funny. wes craven sucks.

• Moderators

I think Wes has got a bit better since then, thankfully .. it was a lil disturbing when I first saw it, but after all the controversy surrounding it, I expected it to be a lot worse than it was .. just kinda .. slow n pointless :unsure:

yeah, i had read reviews from various people saying how "disturbing" and "sick" it was, but i failed to realise what they were going on about. these people have obviously never watched something like Cannibal Holocaust, or Pasolini's "Salo, o le 120 giornate de Sodoma" (not really horror but never mind), both of which are pretty messed up in comparison, but are both very good films.

people who think "the blair witch project" was a really original concept or just really good should watch Cannibal Holocaust and see where the makers of blair witch stole the idea from.

Edited by leatherface