What are your top ten fave horror films?

vamps!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Dawn of the Dead

2. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

3. The Ring (Original Japanese version)

4. Friday the 13th

5. The Shining

6. Night of the Living Dead

7. The Exorcist

8. Suspiria

9. An American Werewolf in London

10. Halloween

Thats in no particular order!

I would of liked to of put in Hellraiser, The evil dead trilogy, the exorcist, audition, battle royale.

Still

That was a hard choice. :lol:

Lots I had to leave out.

Soooooooooo glad there's a horror board now though!

Yay!!

Katie

1. Dawn of the Dead

2. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

3. The Ring (Original Japanese version)

4. Friday the 13th

5. The Shining

6. Night of the Living Dead

7. The Exorcist

8. Suspiria

9. An American Werewolf in London

10. Halloween

Thats in no particular order!

I would of liked to of put in Hellraiser, The evil dead trilogy, the exorcist, audition, battle royale.

Still

That was a hard choice. :lol:

Lots I had to leave out.

Soooooooooo glad there's a horror board now though!

Yay!!

Katie

ooops DUH I did put in the exorcist..

Brain leak over here!

Im jealous of your list.

You put Audition and Battle Royale!

I did put some horror films that are kind of generic.

Like Friday the 13th.

But the first time I saw that it frightened me to death.

The axe - head - bathroom scene was horrifying!

• Moderators

Yeah I know I put stuff like NOES and F13th on there but they're the ones I grew up with really, before I had the chance to get into Japanese ones and a wider variety! They may not be the best, but they're memorable to me :D

Wow, this is hard. My list keeps changing as there are some new horror films I really like.

1. Halloween (Unbudgeable - has been and always will be my favourite. Included here is Halloween II and H20 which I consider the definitive Halloween trilogy, storywise.)

2. The Creature From The Black Lagoon.

3. The Haunting (1963) (Not the awful Jan DeBont remake)

4. Jeepers Creepers

5. The Omen

6. The Hitcher

7. Cabin Fever

8. The Changeling

9. Stir of Echoes

10. Frankenstein (1931)

Obi-Wan :yoda:

• Moderators
4. Jeepers Creepers

Can I just ask ur opinion/views on Jeepers Creepers? Just cuz I know so many people that didn't like it etc ... I did like it, but I'm not sure if it'd ever break into my top 10. I'm just curious :headscratch:

4. Jeepers Creepers

Can I just ask ur opinion/views on Jeepers Creepers? Just cuz I know so many people that didn't like it etc ... I did like it, but I'm not sure if it'd ever break into my top 10. I'm just curious :lol:

My uni was pretty much of the same opinion, but then they only know slasher films! Intellectual bunch!

The thing with Jeepers Creepers is that most people assumed it was just that, a slasher film, when in fact it was always conceived as a modern type of monster legend film alongside the likes of Creature From The Black Lagoon (one of my all time favourites). So when the creature (the Creeper) spreads his wings at the end they instantly started groaning instead of accepting the film for what it is, a monster movie.

When I first saw this movie I didn't know what to expect, but what I saw in those opening 30 minutes convinced me that horror wasn't dead. I think it was one of the first post-Scream movies to drop the irony and just get back to basics and I thought that was great.

This film also broke the sex=death rule of most horror movies as the main protagonists were brother and sister. It also had some amazing cinematography, especially when they go to the old woman's house - the one with all the cats - and the Creeper is stood in the yard. Also the sound of that truck bearing down on Darry and his sister at the beginning was terrifying when heard in the cinema.

It's a shame that JC2 wasn't as good, and did turn into the teenagers in peril picture that it worked so hard to move away from in the first film.

Obi-Wan :headscratch:

• Moderators

I bought JC2 the other day, haven't had a chance to watch it yet but most of the opinions I've read have it down as a disappointment compared to the first one. I do find the Creeper an interesting character, certainly compared to the normal slasher ones that we've been given lately in the Scream era that many people say re-invented Horror but .. I dunno, I can understand how Scream itself was a clever movie and did something different, but it's annoying how it spawned so many crap Horror movies (including its own sequels really, and I Know What You Did Last Summer etc ..) so JC was something fresh, and I guess I can see how you liked it so much B)

I was reading some article on it the other day, about how it was made without a sequel in mind, in fact they wanted it to be 'sequelproof' as such, because of the time-scale of the story, and how it shouldn't be able to have another happen but .. hey, they still managed to do it. I just hope they don't keep making them because many series end up ruining characters and the Creeper was something interesting .. as u say, a monster rather than the usual slasher stuff thats churned out and that most people think of when Horror is mentioned. Obviously there have been a few movies lately that try to break free of the expectations many people have, like Blair Witch and TCM (which lived up to SOME expectations, but not the OH MY GOD YOU'RE GOING TO RUIN IT type). I'm not sure if anyone has seen Roadkill but I'm kinda sat on the fence about that (saw it the other day), it was enjoyable for what it was but seemed to slip back into the typical teen-horror on occasions. There are a few movies that seem to have a lot of potential but sadly don't make the most of it.

I bought JC2 the other day, haven't had a chance to watch it yet but most of the opinions I've read have it down as a disappointment compared to the first one. I do find the Creeper an interesting character, certainly compared to the normal slasher ones that we've been given lately in the Scream era that many people say re-invented Horror but .. I dunno, I can understand how Scream itself was a clever movie and did something different, but it's annoying how it spawned so many crap Horror movies (including its own sequels really, and I Know What You Did Last Summer etc ..) so JC was something fresh, and I guess I can see how you liked it so much :lol:

I was reading some article on it the other day, about how it was made without a sequel in mind, in fact they wanted it to be 'sequelproof' as such, because of the time-scale of the story, and how it shouldn't be able to have another happen but .. hey, they still managed to do it. I just hope they don't keep making them because many series end up ruining characters and the Creeper was something interesting .. as u say, a monster rather than the usual slasher stuff thats churned out and that most people think of when Horror is mentioned. Obviously there have been a few movies lately that try to break free of the expectations many people have, like Blair Witch and TCM (which lived up to SOME expectations, but not the OH MY GOD YOU'RE GOING TO RUIN IT type). I'm not sure if anyone has seen Roadkill but I'm kinda sat on the fence about that (saw it the other day), it was enjoyable for what it was but seemed to slip back into the typical teen-horror on occasions. There are a few movies that seem to have a lot of potential but sadly don't make the most of it.

The thing that bugs me most about Roadkill is that it was originally called Joyride in the US. (I have this version on DVD), and Roadkill is the perfect title for my new movie, but now I can't use it due to copyright mumbo jumbo and have to go think up a new one.

'Joyride' was a great little film though, somewhat in the vein of The Hitcher.

Obi-Wan :lol:

Ok, a random list, and it changes constantly for me!

1.Halloween

2.The Omen

3.Jeepers Creepers

4.Friday The Thirteenth

5.Texas Chainsaw Massacre

6.Nightmare on ElmStreet 1 and 2 (can't separate them)

7.The Shining

8.The Exorcist (so awful it was good, if you know what I mean!)

9.Frankenstein

10. Freddy V's Jason

I would go with in no particular order:

The Exorcist

Poltergeist

A Nightmare on Elm Street

Wes Craven's New Nightmare

Scream

The Ring

Flatliners

Dracula ( Hammer Horror)

In the Mouth of Madness

Hellraiser

Loads more no doubt, but these ones spring to mind.

1. Ghost Ship

2. Blair Witch Project

3. Event Horizon

4. House on Haunted Hill (I only watched it with Fast Forward tho...)

5. Lord of Illusions

6. Ressurection

7. The Watcher in the Woods (not very scary but saw it as a kid and it was scary back then)

8. The Bride of Boogedy (the first film I fully watched and remember)

9. Poltergeist

10. Final Destination

Ok ok ok I admit I like Candyman a lot too!!!

Eh that's about it, I haven't seen many horror flicks yet, not really my thing...

Me. :angel:

Edited by vandevloanders

4. Jeepers Creepers

Can I just ask ur opinion/views on Jeepers Creepers? Just cuz I know so many people that didn't like it etc ... I did like it, but I'm not sure if it'd ever break into my top 10. I'm just curious :angel:

My uni was pretty much of the same opinion, but then they only know slasher films! Intellectual bunch!

The thing with Jeepers Creepers is that most people assumed it was just that, a slasher film, when in fact it was always conceived as a modern type of monster legend film alongside the likes of Creature From The Black Lagoon (one of my all time favourites). So when the creature (the Creeper) spreads his wings at the end they instantly started groaning instead of accepting the film for what it is, a monster movie.

When I first saw this movie I didn't know what to expect, but what I saw in those opening 30 minutes convinced me that horror wasn't dead. I think it was one of the first post-Scream movies to drop the irony and just get back to basics and I thought that was great.

This film also broke the sex=death rule of most horror movies as the main protagonists were brother and sister. It also had some amazing cinematography, especially when they go to the old woman's house - the one with all the cats - and the Creeper is stood in the yard. Also the sound of that truck bearing down on Darry and his sister at the beginning was terrifying when heard in the cinema.

It's a shame that JC2 wasn't as good, and did turn into the teenagers in peril picture that it worked so hard to move away from in the first film.

Obi-Wan :rolleyes:

Everybody I know just thinks its awful but I absolutely love it.

I think it was a really fresh film with some geuinely spooky moments!

1. IT

2. The Omen (religion is always scary....hehe)

3. Hellraiser (fantastic!)

4. Ringu

5. Freaks

6. Misery

7. The Thing

8. Jaws

9. Alien

10. Evil Dead

More a mixture of horror and just plain unsettling films. But 'It'. Holy mother of God......

ok. its been the hardest decision but i finaly got my top 10

1 = night of the living dead (either version, color version in my opinion is just as good)

2 = last house on the left (take the **** if you want but its disgust and pure human horror at its ultimate best)

3 = the thing (john carpenters remake, the line at the end "yeah f*** you too" just is brilliant)

4 = freddy vs jason (horror not the way it should be , with humour. i just loved seeing these 2 on screen 2gether)

5 = scream (there should be no more bad slasher flicks after this one clearly took the **** and set horror rules)

6 = resident evil (dont ask why i just loved the games so watching the movie was like heaven)

7 = jeepers creepers (bring on the creeper!)

8 = halloween (micheal is a living horror legend and this film just had me from the begining when you were shown this little boy standing with a murderous knife. spooky)

9 = the excorcist (3 years ago this would of been on top of my list , but people change)

10 = the hills have eyes (admitted im a pure wes craven fanatic)

now try naming your top ten worst horror movies aswell that should be good and open for discusion

1. IT

2. The Omen (religion is always scary....hehe)

3. Hellraiser (fantastic!)

4. Ringu

5. Freaks

6. Misery

7. The Thing

8. Jaws

9. Alien

10. Evil Dead

More a mixture of horror and just plain unsettling films. But 'It'. Holy mother of God......

I read the book IT, my god it took me ages, its quite a big book, but worth every minute :lol: Could really do with seeing the film again though!

WORST HORROR MOVIES - Good idea!

Its going to be a struggle though...

PS - There may be some spoilers in there! :)

Ok in no particular order -

Urban Legends 2 - Its kind of an obvious dodgy sequel choice but I like to give everything a chance (If I didnt I wouldnt of discovered Psycho 2 which I love). Anyway, the film starts of not too badly with the girl in the ice tub and a decapitation, but it gets soooooooooo cheesy and awful after that. It isnt scary, and the characters and actors playing them are hugely annoying.

The end scene is supposed to be a shock ending (which just turns out to be her new film) IT IS s***E!!

The Hole Ok I know this got really good reviews and im sure you all like it, but I could not get into this flick at all. I may need to watch it again though. But I did find it quite boring.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - The Next Generation

Ok so I expect people may have a go at me about this. Certain parts of the film I do like. The initial part with renee zellwegger and her buddys walking along the road is quite spooky. But towards the end it just loses the plot completely. I have no idea what the end bit is supposed to be about, with the guy with the funny scars. Maybe its really obvious and im just and eejit

but it went completely over my head. Anybody able to explain it to me?

The only thing I got was that he was some kind of ruddy big pervert.

Beyond The Door 2/Shock Some bits of this film really appealed to me, it has some good ideas. But I found the relationship between the "possessed" son and his mother quite weird. In one strange and mildly hilarious scene the little boy (he is about 6) falls on top of his mother when they are playing chase, and im sure he starts rubbing himself up and down her and groaning (is this right or have I read far too much into the scene!?!!)

In a later scene he steals her frilly pants and cuts them up! Lovely stuff.

Its a fairly naff film in my opinion!

Carnival Of Souls - Not the old version but the newer one which I think was done by wes craven. Its just a seriously crap film. It has a couple of nasty shock scenes but nothing to keep you going inbetween.

Driller Killer - Dont hate me for this guys :)

I just really dont like this film, I find it really really tedious!

The Haunting Its just SOOOOOOOOOOOOO crap.

The ending is especially cheesy and **** poor. (this is the remake by the way, I love the original)

I cant think of any others.............. sorry!

5 = scream (there should be no more bad slasher flicks after this one clearly took the **** and set horror rules)

now try naming your top ten worst horror movies aswell that should be good and open for discusion

The trouble is that Scream did exactly that, inspire a series of extremely bad slasher films trying to be clever, we are only now getting back to horror the way that it should be, scary - not funny or observational.

Here's a few of my worst horror movies, and in no particular order.

Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers - There is so much to say about this film that I hate. The terrible mask, the terrible acting, the complete lack of plot or continuity from Halloween 4, the man in black, the comedy cops with comedy Laurel & Hardy music, that annoying girl who climbs through Jamie's hospital window, the sudden psychic abilities of Jamie, the dramatic change in character of Ellie Cornell from sensible older sister in H4 to ditzy victim in H5...I could go on and on about this one. The worst Halloween movie ever (and yes that does include III, which was a great little film taken on it's own and not part of the Halloween series)

Halloween Resurrection - First ten minutes or so are acceptable, but once Jamie Lee is out of the film it just goes all down hill. The terrible acting, the complete lack of following Michael's motives from previous entries in the Halloween series, (he was enraged to kill his family, Laurie and Jamie, now he's just going after random teens which makes him as one dimensional as Jason from the Friday 13th films), and the worst of all in this film BUSTA RHYMES!

Friday the 13th Part 8: Jason Takes Manhatten - What the hell was going on here? He spends most of the movie on a boat on his way to Manhatten and when he gets there he reverts to being a bald headed child in a sewer???

The Blair Witch Project - John Carpenter once said that the first thing and the last thing that a horror movie should do is scare you, scare you and scare you. After all the hype Blair Witch didn't do this at all. If anything it just made me want to see the screaming teens die even quicker.

Now I know you are all going to say that I have those films in my DVD collection, which is true. But some of them are there because I am a completist, like the Halloween and Friday the 13th films, and some are there because I am a Film Graduate and needed them to study as part of my course - Blair Witch Project for example.

It's too early at the moment. I'll think of some more worst horrors later.

Obi-Wan :lol: