Alien Prequeal

danvader123@hotmail.co.uk

hate to be brutally blunt but... F*CK Damon Lindelof. That **grrr** pulled a bait and switch with "Lost", tricking foolish viewers into loving the finale by pulling on their emotional strings. He literally crapped all over the series, and the fans. As far as I'm concerned he's the Devil, and I want his evil Hollywood mitts as far away from my genre as humanly possible. Too bad for me the writer is said to have closed a deal to do rewrite work on 20th Century Fox's Alien prequel, which the studio hopes Ridley Scott will direct as his next assignment, reports Deadline. I can only imagine the ambiguous finale that will have (sigh). Here's the kicker, word has it that it might not end up even being an Alien film. More inside.

Damon Lindelof? More like Damien Lindelof...

"In a development as vexing as a "Lost" plotline, studio insiders said that while Lindelof indeed met with Scott and the studio for that rewrite job, the exchange of ideas between them sparked a take that could well turn out to be a free-standing science fiction film. The studio will decide when Lindelof turns it in," Deadline adds.

"Lindeloff is currently writing with Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci Paramount’s Star Trek sequel, on which Lindelof is a producer. He also teamed with Kurtzman and Orci to write the Jon Favreau-directed Cowboys and Aliens, which is shooting now with Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford.

That’s plenty of action, but I’m told that Lindelof jumped at this opportunity because Scott's 1979 space thriller Alien was such a seminal influence on him. Resuscitating the Alien franchise has been a big priority for Fox, which has a script by Jon Spaihts, who wrote the Gabriele Muccino-directed Keanu Reeves-starrer Passengers for Morgan Creek, and whose drafts on the Alien film persuaded Scott to move from producing the film to directing it."

I really don't care how good of a writer Lindelof is, or if he turns in a superior screenplay for Alien, I hate him (and will never forgive him) for what he did to the millions of "Lost" fans across the world.

Wow, harsh. I personally think Lindelof did a fantastic job with Lost, and loved practically every episode.

I think he's a talented writer who can compose complex stories. I also think if he was to do a film, he'd obviously tackle it differently that if doing a 6 season TV show

I think it's a bit unfair to judge all TV writers based on one movie by one person surely?

Yeah, it is but I cant help but hate anything Weadon does. SO sad he laneded The Avengers movie too. If anyone should be writing the Alien movie it ought to be someone who worked on one of the first two films. Cameron is out and was never gonna do it once Fox made AvP so the next best would have been Ronald Shusett (Dan O'Bannon died a while back). At least Ridley is directing which is more than anyone could have hoped for really so we're lucky.

As a fan I'm not sure what to predict from the this movie. Ripley shouldnt be a part of it but the Company should in some way. But whatever happens they need to show a scene with the derilict crashing and why and how. And also show the chesterburster busting out of the space jokey. They also need to show how the distress signal was set up that later was sent to the Nostromo.

I think it's a bit unfair to judge all TV writers based on one movie by one person surely?

Yeah, it is but I cant help but hate anything Weadon does. SO sad he laneded The Avengers movie too. If anyone should be writing the Alien movie it ought to be someone who worked on one of the first two films. Cameron is out and was never gonna do it once Fox made AvP so the next best would have been Ronald Shusett (Dan O'Bannon died a while back). At least Ridley is directing which is more than anyone could have hoped for really so we're lucky.

As a fan I'm not sure what to predict from the this movie. Ripley shouldnt be a part of it but the Company should in some way. But whatever happens they need to show a scene with the derilict crashing and why and how. And also show the chesterburster busting out of the space jokey. They also need to show how the distress signal was set up that later was sent to the Nostromo.

What you have mentioned is all very important they should present this in the movie and do not forget any of the above, surely Ridley will do some twaeks to the script if he dosent like it.

• 5 weeks later...

ScriptFlags.com has posted up that actress Noomi Rapace of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo has also met with Ridley Scott:

“The most interesting report is that Rapace met with and told Ridley Scott (and Scot Free’s Michael Costigan) that she grew up on his films when she left home at 15. Scott is most likely currently looking for lead actresses and with the films he has on his slate their is really only one that requires personal meetings at this stage, Alien Prequel.â€

So this could be our potential lead actress. Thanks to GigerCounter for the news.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: A publicist for the actress states this is "not true," says MTV.

In an interview with the British paper The Sunday Times (via Digital Spy) for her upcoming Stephen Frears film Tamara Drewe, actress Gemma Arterton told them she will be meeting with Ridley Scott about possibly starring in his planned prequels to his breakout 1979 sci-fi thriller Alien.

Apparently Scott was so impressed by Arterton's performance in J. Blakeson's The Disappearance of Alice Creed, that he wanted to meet with her for the main female role. Some will remember that Scott's casting of Sigourney Weaver as Ridley in the original Alien pretty much kicked-off her career. Who knows when this meeting may happen and if anything will come out of it, but we can't think of a better way for Arterton to show off her bad-ass side then to fight aliens.

According to the story, Arterton has also been attached to The Keys to the Street, an adaptation of Ruth Rendell's novel that was once eyed by a younger Christopher Nolan, and actor/director Richard E. Grant's British Western In with the Outlaws. www.shocktillyoudrop.com

Ridley Scott spoke with the Independent about the two 3D Alien prequels he's in development on. The last we heard about the projects, Damon Lindoff of Lost as going to do a pass on the scripts.

Here's an excerpt from the Independent's article which reveals some of the questions the prequels will answer:

"You can sense the competitor in Scott, desperate to put his stamp back on the film series that launched him. "Jim's raised the bar and I've got to jump to it," he says, in a friendly jibe at Cameron. "He's not going to get away with it."

Set 30 years before the 1979 original, so with no room for Sigourney Weaver's Ripley, the prequels will explore the origins of the deadly aliens. "The film will be really tough, really nasty," he notes. "It's the dark side of the moon. We are talking about gods and engineers. Engineers of space. And were the aliens designed as a form of biological warfare? Or biology that would go in and clean up a planet?"www.shocktillyoudrop.com